Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:10:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the negativities of Merit system[UPDATED][09/08/2018]  (Read 1652 times)
green_fish

Activity: 153
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 03:29:40 AM

I think the biggest negative impact is that many people can't upgrade!
The phenomenon of sale Merit is sure to appear!
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Theo222

Activity: 449
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 03:34:47 AM

1.I think the lower ranked members is never going to rank up to legendary.
i agree its hard now to rank up when newbies are not famous because they will stock in jr member. but they need to be friendly so he/she will receive merits.
minthit

Activity: 325
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 04:29:23 AM

Well, yeah. You can't expect people to be seeing every single post, and this is really only a problem if you really want to rankup, but basically post spam, and in an attempt to do so, make a single high quality post. People who consistently post quality should be rewarded.
Are posts that receive more merits displayed on top? If so, there can be some benefits. Good quality posts can be seen easily. Accounts gaining merits unreasonably can be seen easily too.
Alone055

Activity: 1045
Merit: 202

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2018, 09:48:14 AM

Well, I believe the ones finding it difficult to be constructive enough to get Merits will find the system negative. Others are taking it as a positive feature for the betterment of this forum.

katinko

Activity: 196
Merit: 122

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 10:34:00 AM

This new features effects those members who are closely to ranked up, they are waiting for many months and excited to rank up but when this merit system launched they was disappointed because merit will vary on ranking up our accounts. That is why many users complaining with this system, but over all observation this new features makes us more productive member by creating quality post and make this forum in high standard forum.
NutellaboY

Activity: 120

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 10:39:45 AM

Dudes, the only one thing I can't get - why should anybody send merit? What the point?  Huh

I think everybody is just not giving a mind about that function so there are stagnation of ranks on the way. Everybody would just stopped ranking up.
Kvanko

Activity: 602
Merit: 279

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 11:02:04 AM

Dudes, the only one thing I can't get - why should anybody send merit? What the point?  Huh

I think everybody is just not giving a mind about that function so there are stagnation of ranks on the way. Everybody would just stopped ranking up.

Why? Because it is our duty as a members of this community. Not everyone understands that but hopefully there will be enough conscientious users for this system to work.
fanhuaijiao713

Activity: 94

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 11:06:08 AM

I think it is possible that some people will trade with others in order to get Merit.

Below junior members, Merit is so scarce that they do not want to increase Merit for others, which is a deviation from the Merit system!
NutellaboY

Activity: 120

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 11:18:50 AM

Why? Because it is our duty as a members of this community. Not everyone understands that but hopefully there will be enough conscientious users for this system to work.

That would be great but unfortunately I doubt most of members would use it. i think most of people would ignore that function. But I strongly hope I'm mistaken.
prince05

Activity: 126
Merit: 21

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 11:34:43 AM

Here are the negative points I think of the Merit system:

1. The system is somewhat biased as for higher ranks they don't need to work hard already for their ranks, compared to lower ranks.
2. The system is somewhat not fair as a person with a lot of merits can award an instant 20 or more merits to one post. There are a lot of people who needs those merits which are also posting good posts, so rather than giving instant 20 merits to one person why not spread it to others. There should be a limit of merits you can receive from 1 source in a day. Let say 1 merit from 1 source per day should be fair enough.
3. The system encourages selling of merits in exchange for services or cash.
4. The number of merits required for a level up is just outrageous and not very attainable. Due to the number of merits a person need to have before a level up, this should be updated. Maybe increments of 20 merits per rank movement would be fine as long as they will also implement a cap of merits you can only receive in a person per day or maybe per week.
Not totally agree with your points. However, I think Theymos should limit the maximum number of merits for each thread. The range of merits received/ donated might be somewhere between 1 to 5 (measurement scale). For example:
1. for good quality post
2. for somewhat better than good quality post
3. for high-qualitied post.
4. for somewhat better than high-qualitied post.
5. for extremely high-qualitied post.

This sort of merit measurement scale will better control sell/buying sMerits between users.

A merit Measurement scale is also not attainable, since if my intentions is to game the system I could give 5 merits  each day regardless if it is an excellent post or not, No one can judge that since measurement scale can be subjective you can justify that it is an excellent post for you but not for others. So I guess limiting the merits being given is a more fair way of appreciating a post.

█▀▀▀ A DECENTRALIZED BLOCKCHAIN-BASED PLATFORM  ▀▀▀█
 █───  Telegram  │  Facebook  │  Twitter  │  ANN  │  Bounty  ───
▰ ▰ ▰  Tokenize the referral economy and spread rewards to all participants   ▰ ▰ ▰
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2018, 12:29:03 PM

I give merit points as a thank you to a poster for providing helpful information. This serves two purposes - it shows the poster that his post is helpful and constructive, and encourages him to support the forum with more posts. It also helps a useful poster to recognise that the forum priorities are not just about promoting crypto bounties. If a forum member feels that the forum has become a crypto bounty marketplace, and not a Bitcoin information exchange, it is possible that he will reduce the frequency of his visits.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
orions.belt19

Activity: 686
Merit: 146

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 01:10:51 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

I would like to add:

6. Wage distortion in signature campaigns

Soon, signature campaigns will choose participants with merits and they will have a different/higher pay as compared to those who don't have any merits. Although it's not necessarily a negative effect of the merit system. In fact, the merit system would help improve campaigns because campaign managers will be able to ensure that the participants are really quality posters if they choose the ones with merit.

However it is negative for those who genuinely want to earn and haven't gained any merits yet. They won't be able to earn just as much as those who already do.
Siopao

Activity: 182
Merit: 120

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 01:23:23 PM
Merited by audrey12 (2)

It is possible that 'merit for sale' would exist and users wjo haven't been earning merit would possibly buy the idea due to having merit is being required now by signature campaigns. Also, not all people who are posting quality posts would possibly get merit. Trading of merits between users would also exist, standards and policies I believe is for further enhancement, still hoping that the goal of cleaning the forum would be achieved.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2018, 01:29:09 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2018, 04:19:40 PM by Lauda

6. Wage distortion in signature campaigns

Soon, signature campaigns will choose participants with merits and they will have a different/higher pay as compared to those who don't have any merits.
This would be a positive effect of the system, not a negative one.

However it is negative for those who genuinely want to earn and haven't gained any merits yet. They won't be able to earn just as much as those who already do.
We don't need people who shitpost just because they want to earn. Newcomers who write good posts will have no trouble getting the required merit points. It is very likely that their activity will be the limiting factor.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Jaydis

Activity: 81

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 02:28:41 PM

if this will create a big problem soon then then there will be a great discovery for the solution. I am Jr. and hoping tha this merit will deliver fair and and merit sources will do great in their responsibility.
di.ako.toh

Activity: 154
Merit: 121

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 04:26:56 PM

Merit system now that stipulated as part of cryptos procedures on how they would assess positions of bitcoiners. Somehow its quite difficult to all, because no matter how good or
quality post you had, but if nobody wants to give their merits to you, still it will be hard for us to earn merits and rank ourselves.

Kvanko

Activity: 602
Merit: 279

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 05:14:44 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2018, 09:27:56 PM by Kvanko

I think one of the negative aspects of this system is that soon we will see more and more topics with inappropriate discussions or irrelevant information (such as copy/paste of articles found on the Internet) because people will see that it is easier to earn merits if you are a thread creator. So there is a chance that a flood of meaningless posts will transform into a flood of meaningless threads.
Tszunami98

Activity: 812
Merit: 124

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:52:40 AM
Merited by ju34400 (2)

One of the minuses of this system is that scammers like Jamalaezaz (bounty manager scammer) will recieve merit points from the twitter and fb spammers of his bounty campaigns.

People are stealing hundreds of thousand of dollars but we are playing with merit points.
Just another useless system like trust system....my 2 cents.
If you want to do something that matters try doing a system that punishes or better yet eliminates thieves from this forum...maybe then bitcointalk wont be as cancerous as it is now.
Alluro

Activity: 742
Merit: 19

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 12:07:13 PM

1.I think the lower ranked members is never going to rank up to legendary.
2.Soon there maybe a merit farming.
3.I am sure that not all the quality posts will get merits.
4.Mods,DT,merits sources are exchanging smerits between them.
5.Random members going to be tagged if someone exchanged merits,but it is not going to happen if a DT member do.

I just want to hear more negativity if there,from the experts and seniors of our forum.
Any solution for this? If moderators control merit system like activities good for forum? Moderators can find high quality posts and they can give merit.
Fondago

Activity: 84
Merit: 6

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 12:50:45 PM
Merited by Tszunami98 (2)

What changes I see today, after the introduction of the "Merit" system?

1. The reverse effect. The merit-system was made in order to save the forum from the influx of useless posts, topics, etc. Today, "thanks to" the introduction of this system, we have the following: the creation of the same topics about new merit system, about shit-posts and the emergence of begging.

2. Head-butting. The system did not provide for the usual human factor - comparison of yourself with other people. Someone stands higher, someone stands lower, both in real life and in the virtual world. "Thanks to" the introduction of this system, we have: Beginning disputes and accusations against each other, thereby creating another spam and flooding on the forum. Here we return to №1.

3. Competition. The merit-system expected people to evaluate the good posts or topics of other forum participants in good faith. The result of the introduction of this system: shit-posts are estimated of the friends, family, acquaintances or their multi-accounts.

4. Monetization. For the time being, it is not clear until the end, the system struggling with the sale of merits or not? Like other forum participants who watch this process and paint trust if they saw merits on shit-posts, so I can’t say with full confidence about the sale of merits, this process will be more clearly visible after the passage of time.

5. Get-away. Many participants can make a decision to leave the forum, observing the current situation and the forum will be empty. The bottom line: on the forum will stay only "oldsports", but some people don’t understand, there are some newbies who benefit the forum and share useful information. If he is newbie on the forum, this does not mean that he is newbie in the field of crypto currency. I know many crypto-guys who into the theme of crypto for several years, but have not been registered at the forum or registered recently.

Of course, there are exceptions. Some people will stop spamming on the forum, in view of the current uselessness of stuffing posts, as well as out of fear that they will be painted by the negative trust, but if we go back to №3, it is clear to everyone that the system will not do much good against spam.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: