Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:41:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Funniest Bitcoin story ever!  (Read 7645 times)
Vinz1992 (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 06:48:52 AM

Okay...so I have a funny Bitcoin story for you which I heard from a friend.

A middle-aged couple bought 1 BTC for a 1000 USD recently. They were happy beyond what can be described in words at the good deal they had got. So they got in touch with my friend to ask him about how they could sell it. He sent them the links to various medium articles and blogposts on how to buy and sell bitcoin. The couple got in touch with him again and told him that they had failed to sell the bitcoin. So my friend went and met them. They then "showed" him their bitcoin. It was a plastic coin with the Bitcoin symbol on it!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AmericanBit

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 07:04:57 AM

A middle-aged couple bought 1 BTC for a 1000 USD recently. They were happy beyond what can be described in words at the good deal they had got. So they got in touch with my friend to ask him about how they could sell it. He sent them the links to various medium articles and blogposts on how to buy and sell bitcoin. The couple got in touch with him again and told him that they had failed to sell the bitcoin. So my friend went and met them. They then "showed" him their bitcoin. It was a plastic coin with the Bitcoin symbol on it!

So conclusion, educated yourself before investment  Grin Grin Grin
dysbulias01

Activity: 24

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 07:17:05 AM

Hi, Buddies

It was funny ever...

Poor Granny and Granpa , no one informed them what is bitcoin adn how to get bitcoin...

I think, they was deceive them..

I think it was better , tp teach or inform old parent.Especially, Granny what is Bitcoin and how to get it..
gua86402

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 07:29:59 AM

To invest in bitcoins, understand bitcoin!

These fraudsters can use these trickery to cheat, and use people's psychology of high return on BTC investment!

To invest in digital currency, we should learn about digital money first.

Blind investment is a big risk!
Tavarez

Activity: 700
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 07:42:11 AM

funniest story or crazy story is about hungry developer who bought two pizzas with 10,000 coins (back then it was little known digital currency) now you guess right it was 10,000 bitcoins. all this happened in 2010. those 10,000 coins were worth 40$ at that time. You can just imagine his feelings and thoughts when he saw 19,800$ value by the end of 2017.
tuvok007
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:03:12 AM
Last edit: January 29, 2018, 08:30:47 PM by tuvok007

funniest story or crazy story is about hungry developer who bought two pizzas with 10,000 coins (back then it was little known digital currency) now you guess right it was 10,000 bitcoins. all this happened in 2010. those 10,000 coins were worth 40$ at that time. You can just imagine his feelings and thoughts when he saw 19,800$ value by the end of 2017.

Dont worry for Laszlo Hanyecz,he was one of the first miners and he sold and hodls a lot more than 10000 btc. And he does understand that his first purchase is a part of history now and the value of his current stash is higher thanks to him.Maybe if he didnt made that first purchase who knows what would history look like.....

Ouch, so they really paid thousand bucks for a plastic bitcoin sign?
Vinz1992 (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:13:54 AM

Yeah! I guess that's the first time that Bitcoin was used for purchasing something. I wonder what those pizza guys are doing now and if they have any bitcoins or not! And the hungry developer! He must be feeling so shitty today.  Tongue
Kokondao

Activity: 167

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:16:04 AM

Meaning that middle-aged man is wrong in buying bitcoin, and happiness that leads to sadness, and it's a lesson for us to be more careful in purchasing crypto.
Webcelerator
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:17:03 AM

Well, in Russia there was a case when a man at the train station for the big money bought a beautiful coin with the symbols of Bitcoin. It's even discussed in the news.
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:22:01 AM

hmm. there are physical bitcoins out there, I don't know if there are any plastic ones, but it is practically a simple object with bitcoin logo on it which also actually contains bitcoin with the public key and private key and everything.

is your friend sure that it was not just an ugly collectible?
https://www.coindesk.com/10-physical-bitcoins-good-bad-ugly/

Only Bitcoin
grabpopcorn536

Activity: 476
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:22:16 AM

Hi, Buddies

It was funny ever...

Poor Granny and Granpa , no one informed them what is bitcoin adn how to get bitcoin...

I think, they was deceive them..

I think it was better , tp teach or inform old parent.Especially, Granny what is Bitcoin and how to get it..
Have you ever asked me if it should start with Bitcoin? I said that if you can afford to join it, it's fun to say this, everyone has to have a personal experience for themselves to get into a new life, of course, that Bitcoin will change. Life is better for the followers of Bitcoin

Vinz1992 (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:27:22 AM

hmm. there are physical bitcoins out there, I don't know if there are any plastic ones, but it is practically a simple object with bitcoin logo on it which also actually contains bitcoin with the public key and private key and everything.

https://media.coindesk.com/uploads/2014/09/antana-statistical-coin.jpg

oh.. Is that so? But how do you know that the coins are valid? And where do you get these physical coins from?

And I'm not sure if it was the kind of coin you are talking about... It's the first time I have heard of such a thing.
Juggy777

Activity: 2646
Merit: 686

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:28:21 AM

This is sad and not even one bit of it is friendly, how can you even get happiness by posting this story out here. It is never funny to be scammed and i feel your friend and you instead of mocking them down, help them find the guy who conned them and help them recover and had that been the story i would have given you a merit, have some decency and help them.

So you never heard of physical coins that explains a lot, it could be a real coin, go to collectible section look for a reputable guy to help you recover for them
Vinz1992 (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:41:27 AM

Well, I get your point there. But it's funny to me because so many people around me are so blinded by the prospects of making money from Bitcoin that they are jumping into it without any research at all. They could have asked someone who knew about Bitcoin before deciding to buy the plastic coin. And it's not that they aren't literate or something. They probably just bought it because they had heard about it from their friends without doing any prior research about it.
SUDARMONO

Activity: 504
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:50:38 AM

how sad they feel after knowing the coin they buy is a plastic coin, and this can make a lesson for us to be more careful, and hopefully it does not happen again.
szpalata

Activity: 686
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 12:02:13 PM

how sad they feel after knowing the coin they buy is a plastic coin, and this can make a lesson for us to be more careful, and hopefully it does not happen again.

This is the reason why emphasis should be laid on learning about bitcoin and the blockchain technology before we decide on investing or engage in ways of earning some for free but what we see today is the constant propagation of ways one can grow post counts in order to enroll in a signature campaign without knowing the very basics of this technology. It's sad they got cheated but i guess they've learned about bitcoin the hard way and will be pointed in the right direction hereafter.
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 01:06:48 PM

-snip-

oh.. Is that so? But how do you know that the coins are valid? And where do you get these physical coins from?

And I'm not sure if it was the kind of coin you are talking about... It's the first time I have heard of such a thing.

I haven't really paid much attention to physical coins and there are different types of them each doing something different. for example there was one guy who produced physical coins like a capsule with a shining red thing in the middle, you had to create a private key yourself, then encrypt it and send him the encrypted private key so he could etch it at the bottom of the capsule and then seal it for shipping.

Casascius  is another type of it: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Casascius_physical_bitcoins
you can also find out more about physical coins which are basically collectibles in their respective board on bitcointalk: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=217.0

Only Bitcoin
Kronos21

Activity: 434
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 01:14:49 PM

I see nothing funny in this story. Elderly people find it very difficult to keep up with the changes in the modern world. They are like children. Scammers took advantage of this and tricked them. What's so funny? If their place were your parents or grandparents you laughed too ? Maybe it was all of their savings. Never laugh at someone else's grief.
Vinz1992 (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 01:24:09 PM

I see nothing funny in this story. Elderly people find it very difficult to keep up with the changes in the modern world. They are like children. Scammers took advantage of this and tricked them. What's so funny? If their place were your parents or grandparents you laughed too ? Maybe it was all of their savings. Never laugh at someone else's grief.

I'm sorry but I'm not feeling sorry for laughing at them. The couple's not elderly first of all. They are well-versed with computers, at least they know Facebook and Snapchat. They socialize in circles where people have a lot of money and have invested in Bitcoin. My point is, that before jumping into anything at all, and especially something as complex as Bitcoin, blockchain and other cryptocurrencies, you must do your research thoroughly.
YuginKadoya
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 01:26:40 PM

Maybe it had a QR code on it that will let you transact your bitcoin, Because yes there are physical bitcoin hovering the market place that lets us store amount of bitcoin that has a QR code so you can scan and transfer your digital bitcoin, And I don't really think that the story is funny, scammers often used uneducated people that don't have any idea about bitcoin and use it to their advantage, Even if the story is untrue it is still not funny to use your knowledge about bitcoin in taking advantage to someone that are not.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: