Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 12:38:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on the new merit system?  (Read 925 times)
bubbagump

Activity: 104
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 11:54:46 AM

I think it's terrible to be honest because from what I've seen, it's not deterring spam at all, and it's getting used as a popularity meter where people who've already attained legendary are giving them to their friends for inside jokes and such.  Other times, it seems to be fueling some sort of virtue-signaling handout system.  By that, I mean that there's a ton of posts along the lines of "post here and I'll see if you're worthy of having these merits bestowed upon you by my holiness".   Roll Eyes  The whole thing conjures up images of a bored rich person walking into a welfare office and inspecting the crowd of unwashed peasants and taking it upon themselves to decide who deserves their pity and who doesn't, all the while filming it for everyone to see how magnanimous they are.  I don't understand how anyone thought that this was a better system than the standard upvote/downvote that everyone else uses.  Sure, it has it's flaws as well, but this merit system just seems like a giant leap backwards.  First off, merits from what I understand, are a finite resource that decays over time, and is only created by certain crony accounts.  Everyone needs them to "level up" except for the max ranked legendaries, but they're expected to be handed out by anyone who has them?  Why would someone who isn't already max ranked and cares about leveling up give them away, thereby leaving themself with less of them?  Secondly, why is it even possible for a max ranked account to even receive them?  They have absolutely no use for them other than to use to measure their epeen.  Third, just what the hell is a "good" post and what isn't?  And even if you were to exactly quantify the necessary criteria that makes up said "good" post, anybody should know that it's rarely going to be used for that.  Also, there seems to be a significant number of people on this board who aren't native English speakers, so even if they meant to post a well thought out and constructive post, it might not come across that way because of the language barrier.  How often do you think that those posters are going to be deemed worthy of merits?  Finally, if merits are meant to highlight useful or helpful posts, why even have the various boards for noncrypto-related topics?  The merits given out in those sections seem about as rare as a fat vegan.
Blas

Activity: 490
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 11:55:51 AM

I am supporting the new system as well, but I think that the merit levels needed for full member,  sr. member and above are a too high.

Everybody who is taking part of bounty campaigns care about level up, because higher level means better pay for the same amount of work done.
Gelesko

Activity: 322
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 11:57:34 AM

I'm not too sure about this new merit system.  Although these boards have been getting a lot more spam, it will be much more difficult to level up your bitcointalk account.  Most people are not even going to bother and give out merit to quality posts.

What are your thoughts, do you like the new merit system?
I think it needs to be developed a bit more, people are too lazy or not bothering to give merit's to other's user's, to avoid competition lol. Certainly, there is some advantages, but still required further work

Marioboro

Activity: 243

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 11:59:52 AM

I'm not too sure about this new merit system.  Although these boards have been getting a lot more spam, it will be much more difficult to level up your bitcointalk account.  Most people are not even going to bother and give out merit to quality posts.

I think it needs to be developed a bit more, people are too lazy or not bothering to give merit's to other's user's, to avoid competition lol. Certainly, there is some advantages, but still required further work

we could adopt the level matrix of dota2. you have to do something to level up and at the same time has these commend and report systems in place to prevent abuses like fraud and spams and other unrelated contents.
bubbagump

Activity: 104
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 12:00:00 PM

I don't know why so many guys care about the level.
Do we remember the original goal of the bitcointalk forum??
Let more people know the bitcoin and learn more.
So why we need high level??You still view posts even you are
a newbie.That's enough!
I support the new merit system.
No more spam!

It's not cutting down on spam though.  The threads are still littered with nonsense posts like "I agree hugely.  Nice idea dev, I reserve translate much good for Rastafarian".  It's such a terrible system that it's actually created more spam and useless discussions in the form of talking about the terrible system.   Cheesy  I do agree with you that it shouldn't matter, but obviously it does.
dale1075

Activity: 252
Merit: 37

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 12:25:18 PM

I think its a good concept to fight away spam comments. But it will be harder now for members to upgrade their rank as it now depends on number of activities and merit. Unfortunately for me I am about to rank up but my merit is not enough.

▶▶  BTCitcoin 2  ◀◀    ⚡ Scalable Bitcoin Fork with instant verified payments ⚡
░░░░▒▒▒▓▓▓████████████████████████████████████████████████▓▓▓▒▒▒░░░░
Low Fees ✲ ✲ Truly Anonymous TransactionsJoin the discussion thread
the.scientist

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 12:32:39 PM

I'm not too sure about this new merit system.  Although these boards have been getting a lot more spam, it will be much more difficult to level up your bitcointalk account.  Most people are not even going to bother and give out merit to quality posts.

I think differently. I believe this can serve as an incentive for posts with better quality, since you can give way merit points to people according to their posts.
Some adjustments may be needed on the way, of course, but it's too early to say that this is going to be a problem.
Haywhy1

Activity: 168

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 12:38:59 PM

Merit system really a good idea, i think it will stop spamming, because some people just post and wait to get rank.
prehisto

Activity: 882
Merit: 112

Your Data Belongs To You

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 12:42:20 PM

Something should have been done but I think that this system has its flaws.
At the moment , i believe that merits out there and and gap between ranks is too huge.

I for one dont even believe that I am getting rank up even with good posts it will take a very long time.

X L S L A B S ◉◉◉ INTERNET OF TRUST ◉◉◉ X L S L A B S
If you care about your personal data, you need to understand its future.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▮ TelegramTwitterBitcointalk ▮▬▬▬▬▬▬
Winterizing

Activity: 312

(。◕‿◕。)

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 12:47:15 PM

I'm not too sure about this new merit system.  Although these boards have been getting a lot more spam, it will be much more difficult to level up your bitcointalk account.  Most people are not even going to bother and give out merit to quality posts.

First of all this must be posted in the meta section and not here in the Alt Coin Discussion. Anyways, for me as a member of this forum the merit system is quite good being implemented because this will reduce people who shit posts in this forum just to get the required activity to rank up. Lastly, people now are required to use their minds to post knowledgeable topics/posts so that people will appreciate it and give them merits. My conclusion, people will now be focusing on what they post now rather than shit posting and users will now stop account farming because of more difficult in ranking up.

boyjackyou

Activity: 301
Merit: 11

DATABLOCKCHAIN.IO SALE IS LIVE | MVP @ DBC.IO

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 12:49:52 PM

Theymos will surely adjust the required merits in each rank if he sees that most of the people find it hard to get some merits from the sources,because most of the quality posts arent being recognized in each threads,as he said we should wait for atleast 1-2months so he can think about adjusting the required merits.And im sure he will adjust it we should wait further,as the matter of fact i see less people spamming around the forum from the past 2 weeks.

Baronggot

Activity: 434
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:14:23 PM

My only thought of the new Merit System is like Axl Rose's line "It feeds the rich while it buries the poor" from his Civil War song. While high ranking users mostly got the merits from other low ranking users, those Newbies and Jr. Members could even hardly get a merit even if their posts are good.
But then, a rule is a rule so we can do nothing about it anymore. Let's just expect that we can't read low-grade posts anymore here.

nemesis_

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:34:20 PM

For me, this new merit system have pros and cons. Due to this merit system, people here in this forum will improve on their answers. we will see more high quality posts and relevant threads will also increase. People will strive to gain more merit so they will post more relevant questions and information. It is a great help for us. We learn more here in this forum so if more high quality posts will be posted, it will help us more in gaining knowledge. Though having this merit system also mean that it will be hard for each and everyone of us to rank up.

Fasunathan

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:34:54 PM

My take on this new merit system is leaning towards the positive. Not that i like it, i think it is design to eliminate low quality and non-sense post. People nowadays will think twice or even thrice if their posts does have sense before clicking that "POST" button. We are now more aware of what we are going to post because whether we like it or not we are after that merit that someone might give to us if ever he likes our post, but i doubt if that will happen. You are right that people will not bother to give us that precious merit because they are not used in doing that.

But then again, let us just support this new system because this is for the improvement of this forum.  
robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 1209

#SWGT available on MEXC, Bitget, Lbank, Bitmart

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 01:40:33 PM

You mean alot less spam? Anyway, about the merit... I think there should be some tweaks done to the current system. I believe that right now the problem is that most of the users aren't getting merit with they're posts(even if the posts are good)... Maybe because other users are still not used to this new feature, maybe because they expect a half of a page post to be eligible to win merit... All i know is that getting higher rank will be much harder than before, even if your posts are good

I meant , they added merit to stop the short spammy posts that were occuring just to level up.  The problem is even if someone posts very high quality posts is that most people are not even going to bother to send merit to that person.

I am not aware of that merit system until I checked it on the meta section, the mods and the management just want quality post for their members because we have to admit it, there are to many spam post just to hype the coins they are promoting or supporting with that merit system people will try to post high quality of course I will give merit if one truly deserves.

Crasengover

Activity: 336
Merit: 103

Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:58:17 PM

You mean alot less spam? Anyway, about the merit... I think there should be some tweaks done to the current system. I believe that right now the problem is that most of the users aren't getting merit with they're posts(even if the posts are good)... Maybe because other users are still not used to this new feature, maybe because they expect a half of a page post to be eligible to win merit... All i know is that getting higher rank will be much harder than before, even if your posts are good

Totaly agree with you. Even if you post quality posts every single day it doesn't guarantee that anyone will give you merit and thus it'll take twice more time to reach the next rank. And regarding spammers, I don't think that these system will decrease the amount of spam on the forum. They'll continue to post low quality posts just to promote their threads and I think that they don't really care about their rank.

cryptocue

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:25:29 PM

Most of the people complains about this new merit system,few only sees what this new merit system can do.From the past 2weeks there are far less shitposter posting unrelevant topics in every threads in bitcointalk,most of the spammers stopped posting this is just of the positive things about merit system because right now most of the people are being forced to post quality contents so they can earn some merit points.

tandex

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:45:17 PM

The new merit system has been a pressing matter on my mind. I don't understand this system at. I have seen someone with 700 post and 500 merit and I have seen someone with close to 1000 post and 250 merit. I dont know may be some people have the ability to just give credit to whosoever they desire. My thought is that I want this system reviewed so that of will favour everyone. However, I would appreciate if any one can give me more clarifications on this new merit system. Thank you.
valentinen39

Activity: 308

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:11:53 PM

Merit was created to decrease the users who are creating unconstructive post and also to hinder other users to create multiple accounts. The downside of merits is just, it was like a biased for those early users who already ranked up their account to legendary easily.
sniveel

Activity: 431
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:30:27 PM

I think its disgusting I cant ranked up should i gain more merits to step up. Stocking in a member rank without merit I think Im a full member now. But merit is a policy to avoid spammers and unconstructive post
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: