Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:46:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: September and October will be eventful.  (Read 10342 times)
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 10:04:35 AM

I have been in NYC the past two weeks working on several very significant Bitcoin related projects.

Any chance you can elaborate? Also - Will you be posting to your blog anytime soon?

Wish I could.

Just wait for the news, serious journalists like the WSJ have already been getting briefed but cannot write about it yet, which should come out around the last week of September. Additionally, this fall there will be probably 6+ 'big names', like Richard Bove or Chamath Palihapitiya [starting at 19:15], in the investment community that will come out in favor of Bitcoin and that will cause a lemming like effect.

And the private wealth managers out of Asia are stacking Bitcoins away as the new favorite asset class. Many of the HNWI family offices will not make an investment in the sub-$25-50m range. So, when Bitcoin melts up then it is going to be free range for a lot of these ultra-rich Asia families to move in.

If about $1m of new capital moves the price $9 then just imagine what $500m-$1B of new capital flowing into this asset class would do to the price. Especially if that $500m requires 'clean bitcoins' from a known source of funds. The making of a 'melt-up' in price to a much more fundamentally sound valuation since Bitcoins are largely undervalued given their characterstics (no counter-party risk, cannot be seized and equity based like gold).

This is going to be a wild ride this fall. So strap yourselves in and let's kick the tires and light the fires!

Thanks for sharing that. Will be keeping an eye on the news. It just seems like a matter of time till big money starts to get behind BTC (and then smaller money will follow and lets not forget smart money  Wink ).

I wonder about countries like India, whose government discourages it's people from getting into gold (because the government is trying to!). And so BTC might be an alternative...
And as already stated, there is a bit of a currency war going on, so countries like China, Russia, etc. can use BTC as a bit of a proxy war against the USD. Russia does not forget easily what the US did to it's currency to help the Soviet Union collapse...

I think it is still hard for people to grasp that even getting in now constitutes an early adopter. (I speak to many people due to my job and most say "I won't pay $100 for 1 BTC." but they fail to realize they are thinking about things wrongly. e.g. not considering float, divisibility, state of finance everywhere, etc.)

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 01:26:35 PM

I think it is still hard for people to grasp that even getting in now constitutes an early adopter. (I speak to many people due to my job and most say "I won't pay $100 for 1 BTC." but they fail to realize they are thinking about things wrongly. e.g. not considering float, divisibility, state of finance everywhere, etc.)

As a new guy, I wholeheartedly agree. I don't think they realize the implications of it all. There is so much potential. And now the momentum is there too.

I'm glad I realized this in time. Lucky, even.

But it goes beyond any financial gains. It's something I am proud to be a part of.

Yes to the bolded. I've said it elsewhere as have others - It's nice to be a part of the largest social experiment (by us) in our history, and not "apart" from it. 
And this isn't about "The Money" per say, though money has represented power through coercion through our history and BTC is a step away from that.
BTC is not the answer, but it is an answer to get us away from corrupt banks, governments, corporations, etc. controlling us via the money supply.
Still a long way to go, but the first few steps have been taken.

I remember back in the early days of the internet (I was in IT then) - I saw the disruptive force it could and probably would be. Most people, as obvious as what it was that I saw, either were incapable of seeing it or just don't care about visionary things. Well, BTC is another disruptive technology and it came at a very opportune time. Too long ago it would not have been ready nor the right time, but now...

Grin

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2013, 02:27:24 PM

Too long ago it would not have been ready nor the right time, but now...

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 02:43:42 PM

Too long ago it would not have been ready nor the right time, but now...

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks

Not sure what your intention is, but isn't that what Satoshi wrote into the first mined block?

Just to be clear, I was talking about before BTC was out, years before actually.
And by "now" - I'm talking the current time frame we are in, including BTC's inception.

BTC = Black Swan.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 03:45:42 PM

As a new guy, I wholeheartedly agree. I don't think they realize the implications of it all. There is so much potential. And now the momentum is there too.

When the price graph is the only piece of information that you treat most seriously, you're ignoring all the context that gives the price meaning. Alot of newbies do just that (been there). The panic buying that accompanies USD slump is going to be quite something.

Vires in numeris
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 04:01:35 PM

Vladimir is right.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 04:23:36 PM

don't forget my new meme:

"The Vladdy Logarithmic Effect:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=48850.msg2912354#msg2912354
RationalSpeculator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 05:32:14 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2013, 05:43:46 PM by RationalSpeculator

Just like so many others sunnankar his timing is poor. His most bullish posts appear at tops. At bottoms he is silent here. At least since I follow him end 2012.

This is not emotional analyses, just empirical observation.

I like his interviews and it's thanks to him also that I started seeing and understanding bitcoin. I agree with his long term bullish stand, I criticise his short term poor timing here on the speculation forum.

RS, I'd like to gently pull seniority on you here.  Sunnankar has been doing bullish posts since I joined early 2012, with BTC < $5.  He's been bullish the entire time, which is consistent with a financial advisor, BTW.  These guys and their clients are not day traders.

There's no "bad timing" here. There's no timing at all.  He's looking at a 5+ year horizon.

In such case my criticism would be incorrect indeed. However Sunnankar his posts here on the speculation forum are short term predictions, like he did again in this thread, not long term ones.

I think my criticism still stands and I will add a warning: be careful with his short term price predictions here, I remember he also posted similar short term bullish stories right before the collapse from $200 to $50.

Long term his price predictions have been very good though and I highly recommend to check out his work to understand the true value and potential of bitcoin.  
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 06:13:22 PM

Just like so many others sunnankar his timing is poor. His most bullish posts appear at tops. At bottoms he is silent here. At least since I follow him end 2012.

I like his interviews and it's thanks to him also that I started seeing and understanding bitcoin. I agree with his long term bullish stand, I criticise his short term poor timing here on the speculation forum.

RS, I'd like to gently pull seniority on you here.  Sunnankar has been doing bullish posts since I joined early 2012, with BTC < $5.  He's been bullish the entire time, which is consistent with a financial advisor, BTW.  These guys and their clients are not day traders.

There's no "bad timing" here. There's no timing at all.  He's looking at a 5+ year horizon.

In such case my criticism would be incorrect indeed. However Sunnankar his posts here on the speculation forum are short term predictions, like he did again in this thread, not long term ones.

I think my criticism still stands and I will add a warning: be careful with his short term price predictions here, I remember he also posted similar short term bullish stories right before the collapse from $200 to $50.

Long term his price predictions have been very good though and I highly recommend to check out his work to understand the true value and potential of bitcoin.  

very accurate short term predictions are available on
https://digitalcurrencyresearch.com/

S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 06:15:57 PM

Adblock, where are you?

this is no ad, just a response to the discussions about short term forecasts

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 06:55:45 PM

Just curious. Instead of posting your link(s) more than once. Why not just put your link in your signature? Maybe highlight it?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 07:09:04 PM

Wall street traders back from vacation, time for some serious play  Cool

phoenix1

Activity: 798

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:08:17 AM

Wall street traders back from vacation, time for some serious play  Cool

Yup, it's a game, not a currency ...
Should work out well  Roll Eyes

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves"  - Confucius (China 551BC-479 BC)
geofflosophy

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 06:44:46 AM

We are on the verge of panic buying and seller strikes. Once price breaks 170$, which could be next week, the bulls will go berserk and all those who hoped to buy once it crashes will surrender and buy back at loss.

I know lots of long time Bitcoin bulls who are patiently waiting for a crash with loads of fiat. I know too many of those temporarily bearish bulls. I do not think that their strategy will be profitable. Too many people are waiting with fiat to pick up cheap coins. It will not happen this time. They will have to buy back at a higher price.

Look at the daily chart right now. Only during 11 days ever the price was higher than it is now.  Only during 5 days the price was above 141$ for most of the day and the the volume during those days was rather mediocre.  On the other hand, days that marked bottom prices had huge volume. Everyone, but those who sold coins any day other than those 11, above 141$, with intention to buy back (and still has not bought), is being hurt now. Emotions are starting to boil. It is kind of prisoner dilemma for them.

Expect a bunch of elephants to try to squeeze into Bitcoin room via a tiny door of roughly 50-100kBTC available on sale at a price below of the all time high 266$. Buy popcorn. September and October will be eventful.

I totally agree with the OP's original point. Everyone expects volatility in BTC, and part of that means that the price should drop from time to time, but everyone is also long term bullish. I just don't think that the supply side will be robust enough to support a price decline; i.e. if the price drops, people are willing to just wait it out. This is why the price will not drop below $100 again
Zaih

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:14:16 AM

See ya's at 1k  Grin
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 08:54:46 AM

(stocked up on Popcorn)  Grin

The price of popcorn will explode as well. Good investment!
enquirer

Activity: 306
Merit: 257

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 09:14:16 AM

>> Lol, even the worst website for wannabe-traders explains in the first steps / lessons that you should not trade with emotions.

What is trading for then, if not for some adrenalin?
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 09:54:42 PM

I have been in NYC the past two weeks working on several very significant Bitcoin related projects.

Any chance you can elaborate? Also - Will you be posting to your blog anytime soon?

Wish I could.

Just wait for the news, serious journalists like the WSJ have already been getting briefed but cannot write about it yet, which should come out around the last week of September. Additionally, this fall there will be probably 6+ 'big names', like Richard Bove or Chamath Palihapitiya [starting at 19:15], in the investment community that will come out in favor of Bitcoin and that will cause a lemming like effect.

And the private wealth managers out of Asia are stacking Bitcoins away as the new favorite asset class. Many of the HNWI family offices will not make an investment in the sub-$25-50m range. So, when Bitcoin melts up then it is going to be free range for a lot of these ultra-rich Asia families to move in.

If about $1m of new capital moves the price $9 then just imagine what $500m-$1B of new capital flowing into this asset class would do to the price. Especially if that $500m requires 'clean bitcoins' from a known source of funds. The making of a 'melt-up' in price to a much more fundamentally sound valuation since Bitcoins are largely undervalued given their characterstics (no counter-party risk, cannot be seized and equity based like gold).

This is going to be a wild ride this fall. So strap yourselves in and let's kick the tires and light the fires!

Upon further review, you have given up a lot. How far can you go?

And Vladamir, oh, I get the feeling you ain't telling all...

It's About Sharing

BTC = Black Swan.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 10:13:51 PM
Last edit: September 02, 2013, 10:23:53 PM by CoinHoarder

This subforum is filled with too many overly optimistic dreamers. It really waters down the content when everyone is so bullish.

None of you know what the market is going to do tomorrow or next week. The market has a mind of its own, and you can't predict the future. You guys act like there's no chance its not going to 260.

I myself see it very possibly coming back down towards 100-110.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 10:23:58 PM

This subforum is filled with too many overly optimistic dreamers. It really waters down the content when everyone is so bullish.

None of you know what the market is going to do tomorrow or next week. The market has a mind of its own, and you can't predict the future. You guys act like there's no chance its not going to 260.

I myself see it coming back down towards 100, planning on buying back in around 100-110.

The problem, perhaps, isn't that there is too much optimism, but rather what backs it up? Some of the posters here are pretty respected. I'm open to any opinion. But lets see some evidence.

What is the basis for your bear opinion? (e.g., TA, fundamentals, etc.); Otherwise it is essentially the same thing as the bulls just being bullish with no evidence to back it up.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: