Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:20:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Block Erupter Blade (New Model)]Low Price, Limited Quantity  (Read 39953 times)
bcp19

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:37:42 PM

Since my opinion has not changed since I made my purchase, why should I demand a refund when I knew the story before I bought?  *I* knew I'd be using my GPU regardless of the electricity cost just as I'll be using the Jalapeno regardless of the return.  *I'm* not buying with my eyes full of $$$$ and I could care less about short term RoI.  I made an investment, and in the long run, I believe my investment will pay off more than yours.  I barely had 2BTC in hand back in June, instead of spending it, I invested it.  I made my purchase with USD, which I could not have done to get the USB.  Let's check what would have happened if I had bought the USB with my 2BTC... I'd have spent 1.99BTC ($250) for a USB device and I'd have gotten less than .75BTC in return (I've had 300MH pointed at BTC guild since I placed my order and as of today that is at 0.66456736 BTC. Multiply by 1.11 and you get .73766977BTC).  So, today I'd have ~1.4BTC and a shiny trinket.  What do I have today?  5.3BTC and an order 15 times as powerful.  Yea, I sure was stupid, wasn't I?  NOT!

WTF are you talking about? I'm talking about placing an order today. You call 10 GH/s for 4 BTC delivery in maybe a week, "highway robbery". What do you call BFL's 5 GH/s for 2 BTC delivered in "2 or more months"?
I already have a unit on order, WHY should I cancel it to get something that uses more power and won't remain profitable as long JUST cause I can get it in a week?  The current difficulty will be changed before I get this unit, IF I were stupid enough to buy it.  If I split the difference and use 75 and the current rate of difficulty increase, I'll come out -.5BTC after 6 months.  I can do a lot better just investing my BTC in the 0.05% daily return over on Havelock, where I'd have at least .7BTC more than if I bought this junk.

Sorry if I used too many words for you. Let my try one simple question.

Is BFL's current offer of 5 GH/s for 2 BTC delivered in "2 or more months" also "highway robbery"?
One problem with your question.  The Jalapeno is NOT a fixed 2BTC while the Blade IS a fixed 4BTC.  The Jala's $274, which currently is less than 2BTC, is not a good price to purchase at in this moment in time.  If the price of BTC rises to $400 by November and they are caught up and you can get a Jala in a week, at that moment in time it'd be a good deal.  The fixed BTC price on these blades however means they will never be a good deal at ANY moment in time.

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:41:52 PM

Since my opinion has not changed since I made my purchase, why should I demand a refund when I knew the story before I bought?  *I* knew I'd be using my GPU regardless of the electricity cost just as I'll be using the Jalapeno regardless of the return.  *I'm* not buying with my eyes full of $$$$ and I could care less about short term RoI.  I made an investment, and in the long run, I believe my investment will pay off more than yours.  I barely had 2BTC in hand back in June, instead of spending it, I invested it.  I made my purchase with USD, which I could not have done to get the USB.  Let's check what would have happened if I had bought the USB with my 2BTC... I'd have spent 1.99BTC ($250) for a USB device and I'd have gotten less than .75BTC in return (I've had 300MH pointed at BTC guild since I placed my order and as of today that is at 0.66456736 BTC. Multiply by 1.11 and you get .73766977BTC).  So, today I'd have ~1.4BTC and a shiny trinket.  What do I have today?  5.3BTC and an order 15 times as powerful.  Yea, I sure was stupid, wasn't I?  NOT!

WTF are you talking about? I'm talking about placing an order today. You call 10 GH/s for 4 BTC delivery in maybe a week, "highway robbery". What do you call BFL's 5 GH/s for 2 BTC delivered in "2 or more months"?
I already have a unit on order, WHY should I cancel it to get something that uses more power and won't remain profitable as long JUST cause I can get it in a week?  The current difficulty will be changed before I get this unit, IF I were stupid enough to buy it.  If I split the difference and use 75 and the current rate of difficulty increase, I'll come out -.5BTC after 6 months.  I can do a lot better just investing my BTC in the 0.05% daily return over on Havelock, where I'd have at least .7BTC more than if I bought this junk.

Sorry if I used too many words for you. Let my try one simple question.

Is BFL's current offer of 5 GH/s for 2 BTC delivered in "2 or more months" also "highway robbery"?
One problem with your question.  The Jalapeno is NOT a fixed 2BTC while the Blade IS a fixed 4BTC.  The Jala's $274, which currently is less than 2BTC, is not a good price to purchase at in this moment in time.  If the price of BTC rises to $400 by November and they are caught up and you can get a Jala in a week, at that moment in time it'd be a good deal.  The fixed BTC price on these blades however means they will never be a good deal at ANY moment in time.

one problem with what u say too, for EU price is 5.99 BTC so ...
eb3full
VIP

Activity: 198
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:44:27 PM

I was hoping the new boards would allow for daisy chaining so you only had to configure one unit!

(Obviously doesn't matter since backplanes make for better mass-deployment anyhow)

"With four parameters I can fit an elephant, and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk." John von Neumann
buy me beer: 1HG9cBBYME4HUVhfAqQvW9Vqwh3PLioHcU
Beans

Activity: 518

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:47:56 PM

What's the point of the OP? I don't see any prices posted.
RChevalier

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:49:06 PM

Anyone know the power consumption for these?
lucasjkr

Activity: 644

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:55:39 PM

Bcp,

I mostly agree with your points here and elsewhere, but this one is a losing fight;

A block eruptor blade at this point is far superior to a jalapeño; you could get the blade and watch difficulty adjust once, maybe twice, while you wait; waiting for the jalapeño means probably 6 or 8 difficulty adjustments will go by. Basically though, NEITHER will be profitable, but the eruptor will lose it slower by virtue of getting it at a lower difficulty.

Yes, AM has typically sold asics at extreme markups because they could boast that theirs would ship immediately, and that's been bad for people returns; the world will look a lot different come November; basically the way things look, no miner will be profitable. There's no sense in arguing semantics, defending bfl or am, they both offer exceedingly poor deals at this point.
You are the first person to speak sense.  +1

I know value vs value is like a bird in the hand being worth more than 2 in the bush.  Being a better value don't make it worth buying though.

I already gambled with my prior mining income and gotten more back than I spent for my Jala.  I may or may not have done as well if I had had 2x the BTC to play with, just cause I turned 2BTC into 5.3BTC don't mean 4BTC would have ended up 10.6BTC.

The ONLY thing people can do today is gamble that BTC value will increase and they will end up with more Fiat than they started with.  Bring on the clowns and their "you shoulda bought BTC and held!"

Exactly; I've always considered bitcoin denominated returns nonsense. The reason being, bitcoin isn't a native currency, one that you can pay rent, mortgage, food and taxes with. In my mind, our portfolios are denominated in dollars (or euros or whichever other fiat is favored by the nation you live in).

There was someone complaining that on a bitcoin basis, his bfl made an abysmal return, and I had to argue that while its true, it's not the whole picture - our portfolios are fiat based, and making the decision to buy mining equipment vs holding bitcoin is an allocation decision that each person has to make; just because someone chose to buy something in bitcoins and didn't make back those bitcoins while the exchange rate skyrocketed doesn't mean they "lost"money, just that they didn't earn what they could have otherwise.

It's said repeatedly that past results don't imply future returns, and that is nowhere more true that bitcoin, where the entire economy is 100% speculative, and incredibly tiny and illiquid to boot. Nothing we see anywhere has anything to do with fundamentals, is all to do with the prevailing sentiment of the last few people to place decent sized orders.

Yes, bitcoin went from 6 to $140 in a year and change; but prior to that, it had lost almost 80% from its peak in the year prior... Even now, its down just under 50% from its all time high, and it had fallen 75 or 80% when that high was reached. So to think that it's continued march upwards is a foregone conclusion... Well, its not. It could just as easily stumble and take another 80% dive. Again, the market is so small, so illiquid, that it wouldn't take too much action to cause a drop on that level. Or, yes, a spike too, to be fair. Point being, there's no assurance of anything. That bitcoin did great in the last year means exactly nothing going forward. This is all uncharted territory; I unfortunately think its going to hit a brick wall soon, but all that means is my opinion of it offsets someone else's bullish opinion.
BigJon901

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:56:26 PM

Does it operate with CGminer and P2Pool, or same embedded software as in "old" Blade?

This is a question I would like answered too. Hopefully someone knowledgeable see's it through the other stuff.  Undecided

Computer Engineering Technologist
OneBTCJay

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 08:03:38 PM

Excellent! 100 GH/s for 40 BTC
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1190

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 08:18:56 PM

One problem with your question.  The Jalapeno is NOT a fixed 2BTC while the Blade IS a fixed 4BTC.  The Jala's $274, which currently is less than 2BTC

The only thing that matters is the price today. $274/$128 = 2.14 BTC right now. That's more than 2 BTC.

, is not a good price to purchase at in this moment in time.

That's funny. ASICMiner is "highway robbery", but BFL is simply "not a good price" even though it costs more and is delivered months later. That means you're simply a troll.

Buy & Hold
TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 08:34:30 PM

Is the picture accurate?  Are you using 32 chips to get 10GH?

I imagine...

32*.336GH= 10.752GH
Seems like a lot of unnecessary expense... 32 chips vs 3-4 from other concerns for the same hash rate.  I can't see get 10x as many chips for the same or less money.

Some people need to actually pay attention to the forum/ASIC before commenting.
bcp19

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 09:19:57 PM

One problem with your question.  The Jalapeno is NOT a fixed 2BTC while the Blade IS a fixed 4BTC.  The Jala's $274, which currently is less than 2BTC

The only thing that matters is the price today. $274/$128 = 2.14 BTC right now. That's more than 2 BTC.

, is not a good price to purchase at in this moment in time.

That's funny. ASICMiner is "highway robbery", but BFL is simply "not a good price" even though it costs more and is delivered months later. That means you're simply a troll.
The current price of BTC is between $125 and $145 depending on your source.  Semantics.

Was Avalon highway robbery?  At the time of preorder, no, but many today would say they are due to not making a positive RoI.
Was BFL highway robbery?  In the past, no, today, yes, in the future, it could go either way.
Was ASICMiner highway robbery?  From May 4th until today, yep.
Are all the other companies highway robbery?  Depends on the value of BTC when they ship.  Currently, if you ain't got it in hand in the next 2 weeks, you got screwed... UNTIL the price of BTC goes up.

Here's the difference troll boy, while BFL is currently not a good deal, EVERY person who has an item inhand today can get back what they spent on it.  BFL sold for a fixed USD price and in-hand today = over 100% RoI on that USD price.  ASICMiner chose to fix their product to BTC.  In May and June, some paid $250 or more, some paid $160 or less, but ALL paid 1.99BTC.  Due to this price fixing to BTC, NOTHING sold since May 4th by ASICMiner will ever make as much BTC as was spent.  ASICMiner has already screwed resellers by undercutting some of them before they even got product in-hand.  If the value of BTC hit's $1000 in November, EVERY person who bought a blade today would have spent $4000 worth of BTC and would have less in return than they spent.  Every person who bought from BFL would be well on the way to RoI on the $274 they spent.

Close your eyes to the facts if you want.  You can choose to 1) Spend 4BTC today to get back ~3.5BTC (if lucky), 2) Spend $274 today and gamble you will get more than $274 in the future.  3) Save your BTC and buy nothing.

For me, #3 is the best choice, #2 comes in second and #1 is dead last.

Until friedcat changes his pricing to a fixed $ amount, it's highway robbery, whether you look at last month, last week, today, next week or next month.  Since everyone else is already at a fixed $ amount, they are only highway robbery when the BTC price is too low.

OneBTCJay

Activity: 27

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 10:31:38 PM

I don't think complaining about the price of hardware is fair when it sells out every time in a matter of hours or days.

All other ASIC pre-orders admit to giving especially cheap prices/hash because it's a pre-order... their cheap prices will not last if they ever do actually deliver anything.
bcp19

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 11:07:54 PM

I don't think complaining about the price of hardware is fair when it sells out every time in a matter of hours or days.

All other ASIC pre-orders admit to giving especially cheap prices/hash because it's a pre-order... their cheap prices will not last if they ever do actually deliver anything.
So true, there's a sucker born every minute.

apollojmr

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

The Power Of The Coin Is Awesome!!

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 11:25:24 PM

I am super excited to get my hands on these!! This is an awesome announcement!!!

What you think you become. Bitrated user: apollojmr.
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 11:26:38 PM

Thinking about this some more, it's not common for a manufacturer to specify the price of their product. That's for the retailers to do. Try asking Intel how much their Core i7-4771 CPU costs and they will refer you to a retailer.
rizzla

Activity: 33

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 11:41:34 PM

Thinking about this some more, it's not common for a manufacturer to specify the price of their product. That's for the retailers to do. Try asking Intel how much their Core i7-4771 CPU costs and they will refer you to a retailer.

http://ark.intel.com/products/77656/Intel-Core-i7-4771-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz?wapkw=core+i7-4771

Recommended Customer Price: $320.00 :p
atomriot

Activity: 55

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 12:56:58 AM

So this is the "Block Erupter Blade (New Model)" thread right? I got confused, i thought it was the "every other thread where people compare one vendor to another which drives the OP very very far off topic" thread.

But anyway, i thought the new blades had USB? And as someone mentioned and someone else quoted (i cant find it now because there are too many tardfight posts) asking if you need cgminer or it is self sustained.

And also the other post asking about where to get the backplane.
candoo

Activity: 602

Vertrau in Gott

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 12:58:33 AM

So this is the "Block Erupter Blade (New Model)" thread right? I got confused, i thought it was the "every other thread where people compare one vendor to another which drives the OP very very far off topic" thread.

But anyway, i thought the new blades had USB? And as someone mentioned and someone else quoted (i cant find it now because there are too many tardfight posts) asking if you need cgminer or it is self sustained.

Why should it has USB ? Thats soooo stupid. Its a standalone unit.. USB would requite a PC to host it.

Einer trage des andern Last, so werdet ihr das Gesetz Christi erfüllen.
MikeMike
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1020

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:01:54 AM

Why should it has USB ? Thats soooo stupid. Its a standalone unit.. USB would requite a PC to host it.

Maybe an option for those new to mining wanting only one or a few easily hooked up???

candoo

Activity: 602

Vertrau in Gott

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:03:23 AM

Maybe an option for those new to mining wanting only one or a few easily hooked up???

Yeah thats stupid. It would require that you have a host pc 24/7 runnning. With this blade design you just connect them to your router and its done..

Einer trage des andern Last, so werdet ihr das Gesetz Christi erfüllen.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: