Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:44:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Merit system vs KYC registration?  (Read 606 times)
nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2018, 10:20:25 AM

I saw a guy uploading certificates and other personal stuff in another thread on this forum so yeah people in dire circumstances are fucking desperate for money and could do anything.

What if the uploaded data is not his?

I don’t know what you mean by “certificates”, but I presume you refer to some sort of identity info.  There is a thriving black market for such things.  —  (Edited to add:)  This could be an easy means to “cash out”.

(Somehow, I overlooked this before.  Thanks for highlighting it.)

Can you add link to that thread ? Was it added to show identity proof to a campaign manager ?

The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
illinest

Activity: 454
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 10:33:47 AM

I saw a guy uploading certificates and other personal stuff in another thread on this forum so yeah people in dire circumstances are fucking desperate for money and could do anything. I am not sure which group is bigger - the one consisting of narcissistic douchebags or the one comprised of desperate earners.

Can you add link to that thread ? Was it added to show identity proof to a campaign manager ?

I'm guessing it's a reference to this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2544574.msg29396753#msg29396753

Not sure what the notarized documents were supposed to prove. Notaries or not, on the internet, you can be a dog. If you go back earlier in the thread, he volunteered photographs of himself (and wife) which were then used to dox him.....
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2018, 10:37:36 AM
Merited by nullius (10)

Tor user here.  Cypherpunk who remembers that it took an excruciatingly long time to generate 4096-bit RSA PGP keys on 90s hardware.  I am strictly pseudonymous.  I am so dedicated to encrypting everything, everywhere, all the time,
-snip-
If you really think that a crypto anarchist / cyberpunk / anyone reasonable/rational/knowledgeable (i.e. any desirable user) is going to submit KYC to become a merit source or even to register here, then you are a nutjob.

I wonder why Jet Cash merited this shitpost.
Me, too.

...you were saying?
You seem to know your privacy stuff. I respect people who work on their opsec.

Because Jet Cash doesn't like the system. S/he feels they got screwed out of reaching Legendary status because they were close to hitting the range as the merit system was deployed. You'll notice that Jet Cash has a lot of schemes to try to get people to spend their merits on his/her posts, which are usually thinly veiled to appear as though he's a promoter of the system.

I think that Jet Cash would need to speak for Jet Cash.  Anyway, arguendo, dislike for the merit system would not adequately explain giving merit to anything “KYC”.
Agreed. I dislike the merit system as a solution for the problems that we've been facing, given the other simpler solutions that could have been implemented. However, my dislike of the system is not going to manifest itself in giving merit to someone who wants KYC on a crypto-forum.  

(Funny, that.  I was just now perusing forum archives, trying to learn more about the trust system and DT.  I got quite an eyeful about QuickSeller... and here he is!  It figures that he gave merit to OP.)
The reason he gave OP merit is because I called out the Jet Cash for giving him merit. Had I not gotten involved, he would not likely have given any points here. It's quite obvious and most people are just sick of his vendetta bullshit (hence his -1k rating).

I saw a guy uploading certificates and other personal stuff in another thread on this forum so yeah people in dire circumstances are fucking desperate for money and could do anything. I am not sure which group is bigger - the one consisting of narcissistic douchebags or the one comprised of desperate earners.
People who do that should explicitly be banned from participating in any campaigns. People who are desperate for money via campaigns are up to no good and are contributing to the problem.

I don’t know what you mean by “certificates”, but I presume you refer to some sort of identity info.  There is a thriving black market for such things.  —  (Edited to add:)  This could be an easy means to “cash out”.

(Somehow, I overlooked this before.  Thanks for highlighting it.)

Here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2544574.msg29396753#msg29396753. Tl;dr: User and his alts got busted for shitposting and abusing campaigns. He then proceeded to claim that *his whole family* is behind those accounts, i.e. 1 person per account. I don't buy it. Abuse is abuse.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 06:16:29 PM

I understand that your pill addiction can sometimes make it difficult to exercise critical thinking, however there is a difference between a "shitpost" and something you disagree with.

[...]a post in broken English vaguely describing a half-baked, nonsensical idea somehow, implicating KYC privacy-rape in an unspecified manner, does indeed meet common criteria for being described as a “shitpost”.
1 - not everyone speaks english as their 1st language, and the OP cannot post this thread in a local section.

2 - A variety of KYC-like proposals have been discussed over the years to allow for people to do certain things, however the political views of most of the long standing members around here would probably be against this. I understand that other forums and marketplaces do require KYC to enable various functions.

3 - Similarly, many people have made proposals preventing members from having multiple accounts via various technical means.

I don't agree with the OP, however to classify something you disagree with to be a "shitpost" and to describe someone you disagree with as a "scammer" both blindly, does nothing other than make this plan an echo chamber.

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2018, 06:46:06 PM

Because Jet Cash doesn't like the system. S/he feels they got screwed out of reaching Legendary status because they were close to hitting the range as the merit system was deployed. You'll notice that Jet Cash has a lot of schemes to try to get people to spend their merits on his/her posts, which are usually thinly veiled to appear as though he's a promoter of the system.

First off I am a 75 year old "him"

Now to cover some of your points.

I don't feel that I've been screwed out of legendary status. I invented the term LAMP to differentiate between Legendaries who obtained rank by shitposting and promoting their sig bounties, and legendaries who make valuable contributions to this forum.

I have suggested a lot of ideas because I remember the forum as it was when I first joined. At that time the forum was well moderated and very valuable as an educational source. Right now it is an omelette, and it is very difficult to find some topics as they can be buried in a variety of boards. The merit system is clearly being abused, and I don't think the soup kitchens and food banks are a good way to overcome the problems of moderation in the current forum.

I give out my points as I see fit, and I can't remember the post in question, but obvously I considered it to have some merit at the time. Actually I think I did post a justification somewhere.

I don't promote any sig campaigns. I have looked at a number of them, but I have decided to use my signature to promote sites that I believe in, and not those that pay the highest bonuses. These are unlikely to be any of the over-saturated campaigns advertised here, Because of this, there is no advantage in my being promoted to Legendary. The sig limits are the same for Heroes and Legendaries.

I think your posts are far more targetted towards the acquisition of merits than any of my posts, and I'm sure that the promotion to Legendary is of much greater importance to you than it is to me. I would be grateful if you could stop attempting to trash me so that, in my own small way, I can continue to help Bitcoin Talk to return to the valuable training resource that it was a few years ago.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Naitik (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 04:42:40 PM

I think that Jet Cash would need to speak for Jet Cash.  Anyway, arguendo, dislike for the merit system would not adequately explain giving merit to anything “KYC”.

Arguendo, yes! I like that word, thank you for introducing it to me.

Jet Cash liked the original post. The original post mentions nothing of KYC. What the original post does mention is a direct criticism of the merit system for not doing enough to accomplish the intended benefit. Therefore, my contention remains that Jet Cash merited the post because he doesn't like the merit system.

And...on your anonymity, I look forward to never knowing who you are.

Cheers, HabbyB
Apology HabBear that i could not explian the meaning of KYC Registration.  I meant to register here with full proofs that a person should allow one account per user. The Hoard of making posts is very fatal in earlier. People making no,of profiles at a time and do rubbish post because they only want to increase it activities.
 surely I don't explain my self.
jerry29@

Activity: 206
Merit: 6

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 05:01:17 PM
Merited by Naitik (2)

If you really think that a crypto anarchist / cyberpunk / anyone reasonable/rational/knowledgeable (i.e. any desirable user) is going to submit KYC to become a merit source or even to register here, then you are a nutjob.

Come on.
Someone has question with regards to Merit system, let's give him a solution rather than taunting him.
 A person is trying to get possible outcomes to obsolete the drawbacks of merit system so everybody is happy and stop complaining about this unique concept of Merit system. He is a junior member right now, it means he don't know about all the parameters and he is here to learn something.
Look at your journey right now. You never failed in your life?
When you failed in the past, then someone came & told you are crab or something else. How do you feel at that time.
So stop criticizing & give him a solid reason to their question.
If someone don't know about something we have to came & Help that person. So he will try to learn and explore something.

Coming to the answer  
It is not possible that a KYC will be applicable here.
You should have to elaborate each factors why are you thinking so.
A suggestion to you next time you should have to give reason why you ask the question?
If you do so everyone will be connected with you and give all the possible outcomes that you will definitely clear your doubts.
All the best!
@rt27

Activity: 227
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 06:20:25 PM

Reading the previous comments more than an hour I found out that the above rank helping each other doing investigation. Merit system seems cleaning the garbages in this forum. Hopefully this post of mind is not shitpost.
Taki

Activity: 1078
Merit: 514

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 06:36:01 PM

Unfortunately such cases when a weak post get merited became so usual that this problem just cannot be stayed covered. I think the main problem here is multiply accounts, where a present move merits from one old profile to a new one. The idea that you suggested seems good to me and fair, I hope creators of Merit system will take it in wiev and do something about it.
YuTü.Co.in

Activity: 728
Merit: 350

Re-monetizing YouTubers via Crypto-commodities

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2018, 04:06:04 AM
Last edit: February 26, 2018, 04:35:56 AM by YuTü.Co.in
Merited by Joel_Jantsen (2)

Tor user here.  Cypherpunk who remembers that it took an excruciatingly long time to generate 4096-bit RSA PGP keys on 90s hardware.  I am strictly pseudonymous.  I am so dedicated to encrypting everything, everywhere, all the time, that I even encrypt all my forum posts with the military-grade ROT26 cipher.  I am not fodder for your dragnet.

I’ve never submitted to any “KYC” identity-rape doxing for anything whatsoever even remotely related to Bitcoin.  On principle, I never will.  Why the hell would I?  In principle, my finances are private—mine, and mine alone.  As a practical matter, I don’t need to worry so much about history repeating in some fashion the time that gold was banned for four decades in the country which ignorant twerps call “the land of the free”.  I also don’t need to worry about the kinds of kidnappers and armed robbers who run from laws instead of making laws.  My literal and metaphorical gold is immune to all criminals, whereas nobody knows who I am, where I am, or what I have.

I know that theymos would never even consider doxing people.  I also know that if he did, this forum would be promptly reduced to a small circle-jerk in the alt speculation subforum, hyping how Govecoin With Anti Four Horsemen KYC/AML Cavity Search Technology is going to the MOON.

So, you want my dox?  “...from my cold, dead fingers.”

One of the good things about the forum is anonymity, so a KYC appart from being expensive would scare many people that want to speak freely. Perhaps you come from a country where that is granted.

For my part, it doesn’t matter where I happen to be located at any particular moment.  Nobody “grants” me the right to speak freely:  I grant that to myself.  If you wanted to shut me up, you’d need to find me first.

Me, too.

...you were saying?

Taxing my memory, I think also-two-spaces-after-a-full-stop Satoshi echos your sentiment.  Wink Wink Wink FWIW, at least your posting habits are such that you'll never be on anybody's radar.  Roll Eyes

In that spirit ...

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/User:Nullius

There is only one Bitcoin.

One more thing. I'll pay if you tell me which Internet pipes you use that don't travel through ...

"Bravo Charlie, somebody's onto us!"

"My name is nullius."

orkoso

Activity: 276
Merit: 23

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 12:44:26 PM

Since the merit system is introduced in the forum, everyone is complaining about someone getting merit points for none deserving posts & someone not getting merit points for deserving posts.
If the main motive of this forum is to introduce quality in the forum then they have to ban multiple accounts rather than giving a merit system from one peer to another peer.
If these things can't happen, then they have to introduce a panel of experts who will give merit points to quality posts without any discrimination.
This will introduce stability and people will actually work for the quality with proper power.
What do you think??

The merit system needs to mature. The merit comes from the merit sources, so even if people at first merit underserving posts, it will eventually come to an end.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 04:39:37 PM

I also use Tor just like nullius, and theymos is pro-privacy so I doubt you'll ever see KYC stuff in here.

theymos took a big enough of a compromise going the Cloudfare route to stop the insane ddosing which it seems unfortunately he didn't manage to mitigate any other way. He also made the compromise of adding that annoying Google captcha. I can understand these compromises, but KYC would be overkill and directly against the spirit of Bitcoin.

Treat anything Bitcoin-related as a potential scam as anyone smart will advise you to do. Using Tor/VPN is basic because anyone could try to get your IP and proceed to try to dox you, let alone if you are stupid enough to upload a pic of you holding your ID. Not safe here and not safe on any of the exchanges, which is why I stopped using them. ALL exchanges will eventually be hacked and their databases posted on the darknet. Not fun.
YuTü.Co.in

Activity: 728
Merit: 350

Re-monetizing YouTubers via Crypto-commodities

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2018, 06:17:35 PM
Merited by nullius (1)

I also use Tor just like nullius, and theymos is pro-privacy so I doubt you'll ever see KYC stuff in here.

theymos took a big enough of a compromise going the Cloudfare route to stop the insane ddosing which it seems unfortunately he didn't manage to mitigate any other way. He also made the compromise of adding that annoying Google captcha. I can understand these compromises, but KYC would be overkill and directly against the spirit of Bitcoin.

Treat anything Bitcoin-related as a potential scam as anyone smart will advise you to do. Using Tor/VPN is basic because anyone could try to get your IP and proceed to try to dox you, let alone if you are stupid enough to upload a pic of you holding your ID. Not safe here and not safe on any of the exchanges, which is why I stopped using them. ALL exchanges will eventually be hacked and their databases posted on the darknet. Not fun.

Authorities: Do you comply to KYC regulations?
Entity: Sure do. In fact, that's the first thing we did. We collect as much vitals on our users as humanly possible with the intent of selling the data on the Darknet using the excuse, "Oopsy! We've been hacked." In Cryptoland, the name of the game is Inside Job. Wanna play? Here's a link to our signup form. Trust us!

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: