Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:13:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First airline ticket bought with bitcoin.  (Read 12647 times)
Kermee

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 12:53:08 AM

You just made it on GeekWire...

http://www.geekwire.com/2011/bitcoin-befuddles-customs-agents-thwarting-seattle-visit-digital-currency-guru

Cheers,
Kermee
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3070

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 07:29:03 AM

I'm back home in China now.

That whole story SUCKS Nefario.  I had a similar negative experience with them, and now I use a travel visa every time I plan to pass.  Doesn't give them a chance to say no. 

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Nefario (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 11:13:59 AM

Oh wow, Geekwire. I don't really know what to say to that, I'm finally in the news.... for something I scew up.

I suppose better to be infamous than nothing at all.

Nefario.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 11:29:14 AM

i like the part about "digital currency guru"  Shocked
Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 12:00:29 PM

Yeah, heh those are the terms that journalists use for people who don't really have a formal title.

So the most formal publishings would call me an expert.
Mid tier (like this) use guru.
Tabloids would say boffin.

They could also have called me the founder of GLBSE.

timmey

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 12:33:35 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2011, 01:15:17 PM by timmey

Quote from: Nefario's Blog
Also the last time I had come to the states was in September 2000, from what I remember is passport control checking your passport, asking the purpose of the visit, and thats it. Things have certainly changed since then, and it coud probably be put down to my nievety that I was not prepared for this.
Welcome to America! I like how paranoid they are about foreigners nowadays. I used to travel to the u.s. years ago for business too...never had a problem. But i stopped doing business in the u.s. that requires physical presence when they started to treat every foreigner as criminal, even if you are from Europe. Now they take finger prints, do financial background checks, you have to answer those stupid flyers before you go there and one wrong move or answer and you're fucked. Not to mention the "small" privacy breach by analyzing your phone....

Quote from: Nefario's Blog
Advice:
Bring enough cash or credit cards to cover the cost of your trip upfront, having bitcoin that you could then exchange while in the U.S. is not something they will accept.
Avoid any mention of bitcoin, they don't like it at all.
Have a "friend" in the city you're landing in, have their phone number and have a story worked out with each other before you leave.
Not telling everything(even when it's true and harmless) or some little white lie seems to be necessary. That's just sad and shouldn't be necessary at all. Stupid paranoia.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 02:16:45 PM

Yeah, heh those are the terms that journalists use for people who don't really have a formal title.

So the most formal publishings would call me an expert.
Mid tier (like this) use guru.
Tabloids would say boffin.

They could also have called me the founder of GLBSE.

or "the Silk Road Affiliate".
maltaethiron

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 04:34:28 PM

Well hey, on the upside, now those customs officials are wondering about bitcoin, and probably reading up about it at home now!
jjjrmy

Activity: 221
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 06:27:19 PM

Just got back from my computer being broken. Whoah, dude. Are you okay?
Kermee

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 07:42:22 PM

Oh wow, Geekwire. I don't really know what to say to that, I'm finally in the news.... for something I [screw] up.

I suppose better to be infamous than nothing at all.

Nefario.

You're being a little bit too harsh on yourself...

Cheers,
Kermee
jjjrmy

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 09:44:44 PM

Also, when I bought it I bought insurance on it, so call Travelocity so you can get a refund?
k

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 10:12:04 PM

this incident (Nefario being turned away at the US border) just got mentioned on today's TNT podcast (Tech News Today on the TWiT network). The episode is currently still live. The recording will probably be at http://www.twit.tv/tnt293 in a few hours I guess.
Anonymous

July 28, 2011, 02:40:36 AM

Sorry to hear about this nefario.

I wonder if you told them you had a few thousand in paypal if the result would be the same.
RogerR

Activity: 102

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 09:37:13 AM

Wow, that sucks.

On the upside, we can now do some bitcoin business in China together! Grin
Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 12:10:38 PM

Wow, that sucks.

On the upside, we can now do some bitcoin business in China together! Grin

Maybe, where you at and what you doin?

RogerR

Activity: 102

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 11:18:13 PM

Maybe, where you at and what you doin?

pm sent
jjjrmy

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 07:55:31 PM

Looks like someone is famous.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 08:07:45 PM

Looks like someone is famous.

hehe, cool. I would have made the officer say "Ok, then, boy, let's look for these bitcoins then", when putting on the glove.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 11:31:28 PM

Oh god what have I started  **facepalm**

Mad7Scientist

Activity: 373
Merit: 262

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 04:40:53 PM

@Nefario, if your goal is to create a business, wouldn't Singapore be a better call for you? They are ranked better than US in all economic freedom indexes I've seen, and they are closer to you.

I hear Singapore is a police state. Sounds like it is a trap. Everything is free for business to come and then in a few years they'll lock everything down like China. Didn't the USSR do something like this?

Have a "friend" in the city you're landing in, have their phone number and have a story worked out with each other before you leave.
Yes exactly!

Why not just come to Mexico and then come over the border Smiley If they find you act a little bit dumb and say you're a hillbilly who was born down South and that you don't like to carry any ID.

If you enter a country and they have no idea where you are from you can get refugee status. A boat with 400 people from a troubled country near India I think it was showed up in a Canadian port not too long ago ...

I think the United States is Similar to Singapore. Here I believe the income tax is voluntary, but most people don't know this or are to short sighted to make use of it. The Internal Revenue Code is a code not a law. You are not subject to the code unless prescribed by law or legally binding contract. In the same way if you wire up your house incorrectly you violate National Electric Code but it doesn't matter because there is no law that says your house has to be in compliance with the code until you try to sell the house, then your house must be in code because there is a law. When you file to the IRS and put your signature on the document you are signing a contract that makes you subject to the Internal Revenue Code. So the very first time you file it is voluntary. But people are very short sighted and even if they do know this they will file anyway to be able to get their tax refund, even if this prevents them from mining and selling bitcoins later on without the income tax!

One of my teachers who is foreign was talking about companies and taxes and he said "But many company not pay the tax". You can have your company off shore and operate within the US and not pay any taxes. I think the US allows this on purpose because the US doesn't want people who are in the know to go to other countries and start their businesses there and help build up those countries. If you are a foreigner, they'll let you operate in the US with no taxes to try to make you help boost the US economy and provide employment and keep you from setting up your company in a foreign country where you would have much lower labor costs and probably be much more successful in the long run.

When something is too good to be true, it really is too good to be true!

I mine $10 a day in bitcoins and I've been thinking about what life would be like if I went to a poor country for a while and tried to live on that. It would make a good story. I was talking about it on IRC and that's what brought me to this forum.

Somebody said something about a buyer from Nigeria and I said I'd like to go to Nigeria and some people said no you don't here look at this forum post of this one guy who got stuck in Seattle. But hey in Nigeria a $20 would probably be enough of a bribe to get through and kind of problem like we saw here!

The people who are taking over the US seem to not care for bribes (silver or gold). AS was prophesied by Isaiah.
Isaiah 13
Babylon Will Fall to the Medes

17Behold, I am going to stir up the Medes against them,
         Who will not value silver or take pleasure in gold.

18And their bows will mow down the young men,
         They will not even have compassion on the fruit of the womb,
         Nor will their eye pity children.

19And Babylon, the beauty of kingdoms, the glory of the Chaldeans’ pride,
         Will be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah.

20It will never be inhabited or lived in from generation to generation;
         Nor will the Arab pitch his tent there,
         Nor will shepherds make their flocks lie down there.

21But desert creatures will lie down there,
         And their houses will be full of owls;
         Ostriches also will live there, and shaggy goats will frolic there.

22Hyenas will howl in their fortified towers
         And jackals in their luxurious palaces.
         Her fateful time also will soon come
         And her days will not be prolonged.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: