Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:10:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stop Windows 10 Update  (Read 2194 times)
lx-ctf

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 03:44:10 PM

https://github.com/DeadManWalkingTO/Windows10MiningTweaksDmW

Ran on my all of my win 10 machines in my farm.
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tg88
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1407

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 05:47:59 PM

https://github.com/DeadManWalkingTO/Windows10MiningTweaksDmW

Ran on my all of my win 10 machines in my farm.

Interesting, I did this manually.

1. Registry Tweaks                                                         
2. Removing Services                                                       
3. Removing Scheduled Tasks                                               
4. Removing Windows Default Apps                                           
5. Disable / Remove OneDrive                                               
6. Blocking Telemetry Servers                                             
7. Blocking More Windows Servers                                           
8. Disable Windows Error Recovery on Startup                               
9. Internet Explorer 11 Tweaks                                             
10. Libraries Tweaks                                                       
11. Windows Update Tweaks                                                 
12. Windows Defender Tweaks   
remona

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 25, 2018, 07:30:23 AM

If you do not know where is the file explorer then you can now open file explorer windows 10 here easily without any payment.
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
October 25, 2018, 09:26:36 AM

or run Windows 10.

you will no longer have:

lower hashrates
poor overclocking tools
poor bios flashing tools
less access to windows only software (certain miners, nicehash, etc)

all of the problems you listed for windows are not real problems and easily solved or avoided.

Driver problems --> dont install shit drivers and properly uninstall any old drivers (try and tell me how linux nvidia drivers are in any way better/more stable, I'll hear your response when i'm finished laughing)
Reliability problems --> again none. this only becomes a problem with people who overclock too much or have conflicting driver versions that werent properly uninstalled
Windows update breaking things --> can be turned off without too much trouble. and even ubuntu has pesky update warnings and will auto-install if you dont stop it. linux isnt a magical savior here
Random blue screens --> doesnt happen on stable setups. see the same point about reliability
Licensing issues --> windows 10 is free to use. there is ZERO functional change by simply not activating the software. about the only thing you cant do is change the desktop background.  Shocked

and 152 days uptime on a simple system with 1 GPU thats likely stock clocked?Huh much wow. very impress  Roll Eyes.

Actually I manage about 1500 GPU rigs. 350 of em are Windows. Guess which ones require the most attention and weekly reboots? (hint: its not linux)

My advice comes from having more mining experience than any 500 average people combined on this forum.

lower hashrates - no? Go ahead and try and prove it
poor overclocking tools - My machines are all upclocked via simple scripts
poor bios flashing tools - Polaris BIOS editor works just fine in linux
less access to windows only software (certain miners, nicehash, etc) - Nicehash is for the lazy and ignorant and my linux machines each support at least 18 different miners with the ability to add more. There is nothing useful on Windows that doesnt work in linux.

P.S. Go count the threads of people with windows problems versus linux and tell me windows is the superior choice....

You manage 1500 GPU Rigs and you must weekly reboot windows? you are a really bad miner. My windows10 runs faster then linux (ethos), more stable than linux, i need no reboot for over 2 month (no miner restarts or what ever).

Do the right job, then windows works fantastic. i work with windows 1703, 1803, 1809 and alle works perfect. my windows make no updates, you must find the right solution Wink

Windows Hashrate 185mh with 6x RX 570, no hardware errors
Ethos Hashrate 178mh with 6x RX 570, i must clock down the cards. with the same speed as in windows, the miner stops working after several hours.

This is my opinion and my experience, i am not a linux hater, but i can´t read this shit about windows, from people who do not work properly with windows.
kineda

Activity: 51

View Profile
October 25, 2018, 11:41:22 AM

easy answer that worked for me is on the windows update service on the Log On tab you set it to .\guest and make up a wrong pw.  everytime it will try to run it will fail logon and not start.
netto7

Activity: 252
Merit: 4

View Profile
October 25, 2018, 01:05:02 PM

last week im clean install new windows 10 with last update 1809.

it work well i think it fast more than last version 1803
fanatic26_

Activity: 294
Merit: 129

View Profile
October 25, 2018, 10:29:46 PM

You manage 1500 GPU Rigs and you must weekly reboot windows? you are a really bad miner. My windows10 runs faster then linux (ethos), more stable than linux, i need no reboot for over 2 month (no miner restarts or what ever).

Do the right job, then windows works fantastic. i work with windows 1703, 1803, 1809 and alle works perfect. my windows make no updates, you must find the right solution Wink

Ethos Hashrate 178mh with 6x RX 570, i must clock down the cards. with the same speed as in windows, the miner stops working after several hours.

This is my opinion and my experience, i am not a linux hater, but i can´t read this shit about windows, from people who do not work properly with windows.

I love all you keyboard warriors that talk shit with no practical experience. Im so bad I run one of the largest crypto fams in North America! Good job with your couple rigs running Windows. Im sorry you dont know enough about linux to tweak and configure it for performance, but you really shouldnt claim something is better just because you dont understand how to use the other product.

Show me your Windows miners that can do this:

Last login: Fri Oct 19 12:16:56 2018 from 10.30.0.20
[Agent: GMiner11154 (Running) Total HR: [176.10Mh/s] Miners running [1] GPUs [AAAAAA]]
[06:26 PM][Uptime: 245d 17:22][root@GMiner11245(10.10.111.54)]

hows.tech

Activity: 1

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2019, 12:46:04 PM

my windows 10 is updating itself. and claymore mining isnt working in new version. everytime it is updating i retruned back.

i am closing all updates. i tried to stop services.msc, gpedit.msc. but everytime it finds a way and is starting own by own. i couldnt stop to update it.

is there any way to hardstop it?

or
is there anyway to mining with new version

anyone has with this trouble?

See this link, have tried this and solved in a couple of minutes : Disable Windows 10 Updates
raghovsing34

Activity: 333
Merit: 1

Security and Privacy Features on the Blockchain

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2019, 12:52:18 PM

I tried everything. Editing the registry (regedit), changing the policies... Nothing helped.

I'm now using this one:
http://www.site2unblock.com/win-updates-disabler/

Updates stopped so far. Smiley

I also faced same problem on my windows 10. But after using is my problem is solved very easily. I was very happy when auto updates is stopped.

▄ ▄▄  We reinvented the way privacy and anonimity should look like  ▄▄ ▄
▄▄▄ ▄ ▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄           PRIVIX.io           ▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄ ▄ ▄▄▄
WickedPigeon

Activity: 345
Merit: 16

View Profile
April 15, 2019, 02:00:42 PM

I use O&O ShutUp 10 (on 6 rigs) and find it to be very good.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

“How did you go bankrupt?” Bill asked.

“Two ways,” Mike said. “Gradually and then suddenly.”
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
April 15, 2019, 02:06:09 PM
Last edit: April 15, 2019, 02:17:39 PM by sxemini

I love all you keyboard warriors that talk shit with no practical experience. Im so bad I run one of the largest crypto fams in North America! Good job with your couple rigs running Windows. Im sorry you dont know enough about linux to tweak and configure it for performance, but you really shouldnt claim something is better just because you dont understand how to use the other product.

[Agent: GMiner11154 (Running) Total HR: [176.10Mh/s] Miners running [1] GPUs [AAAAAA]]

LOL yes and you talk shit with no practical experience XD

You need 2 bitcointalk accounts? Lost your password and can´t recover?

245d runtime, my rigs can do that easily, but i update my miners with every new release. so normal runtime is 1 - 2 month easily.

The fix is really easy. Run Linux. Windows is crap for mining and it wont get any better.

You will no longer have:

Driver problems
Reliability problems
Windows update breaking things
Random blue screens
Licensing issues

Example of one of my linux miners:

[/root]:# uptime
 14:22:55 up 152 days, 20:40,  2 users,  load average: 0.78, 0.80, 1.06
[Agent: 11152 (Running) Total HR: [2.71Kh/s] Miners running [1] GPUs [AAAAAA]]

This list is completely bullshit, but yes you are the man dude lol

And why the hell you know how many rigs i have? I have never write it, in this thread. Oh you didn´t know that? So why you believe i have only a couple?
You say you manage 1500 rigs, but your answers let me think a little bit different XD
GhostWithin

Activity: 644
Merit: 145

View Profile
April 23, 2019, 07:48:55 PM

I also think that there is no better operating system than Linux, but for some reason many people are afraid to switch to it. although I dont see any advantage in favor of windows. Well, except that updating the firmware on a video card is a little more convenient in Windows
Anonylz

Activity: 2562
Merit: 577

View Profile
April 23, 2019, 08:05:37 PM

This works for me...
Windows 10 in various scenarios will turn windows update back if all you do is disable the service.
To disable updates in Windows 10 is go to the Windows update Service property window, disable it, then go to the Log On tab at the top and click This account: and type ".\Guest"(no quotes), clear the password fields and click apply.
You will get a message saying Guest has been enabled to do this, but the hitch is that "Guest" doesn't have permission to do it so Windows update is basically disabled no matter what unless you switch it back which is just as easy.

Really thanks for this very easy and clear instruction to disable windows 10, this has been a bit annoying to me to be honest, i think Microsoft should give users the ability to chose whether they want to update windows or not, not forcing it on users whether it is convenient for them to do so or not, i will be using this guide to disable windows 10 until when am ready to update.

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
                           Twitter       Telegram      Medium      YouTube      Discord        TikTok         GitHub               
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
dunfida
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1131

View Profile
April 23, 2019, 08:24:09 PM

This works for me...
Windows 10 in various scenarios will turn windows update back if all you do is disable the service.
To disable updates in Windows 10 is go to the Windows update Service property window, disable it, then go to the Log On tab at the top and click This account: and type ".\Guest"(no quotes), clear the password fields and click apply.
You will get a message saying Guest has been enabled to do this, but the hitch is that "Guest" doesn't have permission to do it so Windows update is basically disabled no matter what unless you switch it back which is just as easy.

Really thanks for this very easy and clear instruction to disable windows 10, this has been a bit annoying to me to be honest, i think Microsoft should give users the ability to chose whether they want to update windows or not, not forcing it on users whether it is convenient for them to do so or not, i will be using this guide to disable windows 10 until when am ready to update.

This is the problem with windows 10 which you cant really completely disable auto updates which it would automatically launch without your notice even if you have tried all
the said tutorials of disabling on the entire internet. Services.msc etc. etc. but it would still trigger out soon,maybe this is part of the OS which it cant really be disable completely.
I tried it all but still i end up on updating thats why windows 10 suck.I go back to windows7.

nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
April 23, 2019, 08:39:21 PM

Hahah I love this forum.  Some bot shows up and bumps a thread from a year ago, another bot responds, then someone comes in and continues a 6 month old argument  Grin Grin Grin
nsummy

View Profile
April 23, 2019, 08:46:14 PM

This works for me...

Don't get me wrong, updates on Windows 10 are an absolute disaster and its indefensible that the OS STILL will reboot on its own without a bunch of extreme hacks that may or may not work.  That said, the arguments on here between windows and linux are comparing apples and oranges.  The problem is that miners are using a consumer OS as a server.  If you require maximum uptime then you really need to be using Windows Server.  Its much more manageable and is actually designed to run for long periods without reboots.
nsummy

View Profile
April 23, 2019, 08:52:55 PM

I also think that there is no better operating system than Linux, but for some reason many people are afraid to switch to it. although I dont see any advantage in favor of windows. Well, except that updating the firmware on a video card is a little more convenient in Windows

The learning curve for linux is extremely steep, and many of the posters on here do not have deep technical knowledge to begin with.  I am a sys admin and before mining I had barely dabbled in linux just because it was so time consuming to learn.  There is a wealth of information out there, but even something simple as setting a static ip can take over 30 minutes of searching and reading if you have never done it before.  The world of mining has brought me from a novice linux user to an intermediate one haha.   Windows definitely has to be more convenient when it comes to overlocking and stuff like that.
WickedPigeon

Activity: 345
Merit: 16

View Profile
April 23, 2019, 09:02:40 PM

The learning curve for linux is extremely steep, and many of the posters on here do not have deep technical knowledge to begin with.  I am a sys admin and before mining I had barely dabbled in linux just because it was so time consuming to learn.  There is a wealth of information out there, but even something simple as setting a static ip can take over 30 minutes of searching and reading if you have never done it before.  The world of mining has brought me from a novice linux user to an intermediate one haha.   Windows definitely has to be more convenient when it comes to overlocking and stuff like that.

Amen. I run a few mining rigs and Windows is a 'Love/Hate' thing. But it's the environment I work, live and mine in. So we it comes time to spending the extra hour or two to learn something, I find doing it in Windows has extra benefits for me. Now, I totally get WHY Linux users love Linux, but it's a lot like religion - I got mine and you got yours.

Now, should we argue between Apple and Samsung  Wink

(Edit: BTW - I'm using the "Guest" fix along with O&O Shut Up 10. Great little fix!)

“How did you go bankrupt?” Bill asked.

“Two ways,” Mike said. “Gradually and then suddenly.”
corrado25

Activity: 773
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2019, 07:39:38 AM

Had the same problem. First I could turn off updates on windows10, but then they started turning on themselves and when I stopped them again after a while, they turned on themselves again. How many I did not try to disconnect, none helped. I still decided to go back to Windows 7 and I'm not sorry at a

P00P135

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136

View Profile
April 24, 2019, 08:16:19 AM

Been using this for over a year without any problems.  You're welcome https://www.novirusthanks.org/products/win-update-stop/
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: