Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:04:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitPeace.co - Self-Defense and Security Tools for Bitcoin  (Read 3435 times)
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 07:35:59 AM

Wireless Cameras with a sign will lower the probability of something happening.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
digigalt

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:11:12 AM

Do you have a license to sell guns, or will you be selling them through a licensed broker?
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:53:21 AM

In addition, food for thought:

...the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some. When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

- The Gun is Civilization
I'm not sure I really want to get drawn into a philosophical debate here but I disagree so strongly on this point that I feel compelled to speak up:

A personal firearm does in no way "remove force from the menu" - it just takes the fight to the next level. If you carry a gun I don't have to use reason to deal with you, I just have to bring some friends with guns, wear protective equipment and some bigger gun or just threaten you by saying I took hostage of some of your loved ones.

I'm sorry Atlas because I really do appreciate your commitment and most of your other contributions to the Bitcoin community, but thinking that guns force everybody to use reason is just ridiculous - it sadly only forces people to either get bigger guns or get killed - as seen on battlefields around the world Sad

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
digigalt

Activity: 58

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 09:20:58 AM

This community suffers from short-term memory loss. Atlas has yet again abandoned a project to focus on another hare-brained scheme. I'm sure this idea will be dead within a week.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 09:27:53 AM

This community suffers from short-term memory loss. Atlas has yet again abandoned a project to focus on another hare-brained scheme. I'm sure this idea will be dead within a week.
+1

That's a very good way to word it. The constant influx of new people makes that there is virtually no retention of information on the forums. Which makes it almost useless to take the time to explain something, as the same question will be asked 5 minutes later by another newbie.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
elggawf

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 01:35:33 PM

Taking advice on firearms regulations from faceless people over the internet? What could possibly go wrong?

Atlas - you probably don't have the money to consult a lawyer on this, so don't do it. If you can consult a lawyer (not a friend who's a law student, or a guy who spent a few weeks last summer reading the US Code, you need a lawyer who will put their balls on the line with actual legal advice) then go for it, but don't throw away your life over some bullshit.

Apparently there was a gun shop near where I live where the guy overlooked a few FFL restrictions and got caught, and he'll probably die in prison. At your age, you won't - but you might wish you had, and spending a good portion of your prime working years in lockup is going to change your Randian outlook significantly (there aren't many people who get locked up as a teen and then come out to become captains of industry).

Also knives for self defense are next to useless - they're no replacement for a firearm, they carry significantly more risk to the person using them, you get blood all over you if you do have to use one and it's really tough to look the part of a rational individual in the event you end up in the defendant's chair over a knife fight. If your jurisdiction doesn't allow handguns for self defense they probably don't allow knives either.

Pepper spray is equally useless, even people whom are correctly trained in it's use wind up macing themselves - most folks who buy it have never actually fired it off in their lives they just carry it for that warm fuzzy feeling. It also stands about as much chance at stopping a motivated attacker as a swift kick in the nuts (which is free, and you can't forget and leave it at home or in your car).

Seriously though, do this shit right or don't do it at all.

^_^
EconomicOracle

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

I can predict the future! Bitcoin will success!!!!

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 03:10:04 PM

I would like to buy a Shagohod and possibly a dreadnaught. Can this be arranged?

GOOOOOOOOOOO BITCOINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edit: Oops. Just fixed a typo. It should be GO (like GO TEAM!) and not GOOB
Edit2: Just checked the dictionary and goob is not a word
Lupus_Yonderboy

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 03:21:19 PM

I'm thinking a few canisters of sarin, or perhaps even some VX if you can get ahold of it. Maybe some atropine in case the kids get a little too curious. This would be for a home defense system, of course. People are a lot less likely to break in and steal things if the neighborhood is going to be flooded with nerve gas.
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 03:34:09 PM

...the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some. When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

Yeah, what wareen said.

There are a few hundred million corpses who disagree;  despite having carried a gun, they were dealt with by force.  

Anonymous

July 15, 2011, 03:58:43 PM

In addition, food for thought:

- The Gun is Civilization
I'm not sure I really want to get drawn into a philosophical debate here but I disagree so strongly on this point that I feel compelled to speak up:

A personal firearm does in no way "remove force from the menu" - it just takes the fight to the next level. If you carry a gun I don't have to use reason to deal with you, I just have to bring some friends with guns, wear protective equipment and some bigger gun or just threaten you by saying I took hostage of some of your loved ones.

I'm sorry Atlas because I really do appreciate your commitment and most of your other contributions to the Bitcoin community, but thinking that guns force everybody to use reason is just ridiculous - it sadly only forces people to either get bigger guns or get killed - as seen on battlefields around the world Sad

I wish you luck removing guns from everybody including the aggressors. Arming people may not be the ideal solution but it is the most optimal. People would be able to be on equal grounds faster if there were no limitations on people arming themselves but that's another argument for another day.

It's a pleasure discussing this with you.
Anonymous

July 15, 2011, 03:59:36 PM

Taking advice on firearms regulations from faceless people over the internet? What could possibly go wrong?

Atlas - you probably don't have the money to consult a lawyer on this, so don't do it. If you can consult a lawyer (not a friend who's a law student, or a guy who spent a few weeks last summer reading the US Code, you need a lawyer who will put their balls on the line with actual legal advice) then go for it, but don't throw away your life over some bullshit.

Apparently there was a gun shop near where I live where the guy overlooked a few FFL restrictions and got caught, and he'll probably die in prison. At your age, you won't - but you might wish you had, and spending a good portion of your prime working years in lockup is going to change your Randian outlook significantly (there aren't many people who get locked up as a teen and then come out to become captains of industry).

Also knives for self defense are next to useless - they're no replacement for a firearm, they carry significantly more risk to the person using them, you get blood all over you if you do have to use one and it's really tough to look the part of a rational individual in the event you end up in the defendant's chair over a knife fight. If your jurisdiction doesn't allow handguns for self defense they probably don't allow knives either.

Pepper spray is equally useless, even people whom are correctly trained in it's use wind up macing themselves - most folks who buy it have never actually fired it off in their lives they just carry it for that warm fuzzy feeling. It also stands about as much chance at stopping a motivated attacker as a swift kick in the nuts (which is free, and you can't forget and leave it at home or in your car).

Seriously though, do this shit right or don't do it at all.
I am aware of the regulations.
Anonymous

July 15, 2011, 04:00:40 PM

Also, I do not plan on selling firearms at this time. Only lower-tier non-lethal security tools.
Xunie

Activity: 132
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 04:08:15 PM

Wireless Cameras with a sign will lower the probability of something happening.

Does not offer protection, it only fends off burglars.
Cameras are not security, they simply record and not protect.
I can kill anyone in front of a camera and get away with it as long as it's not streaming to a secure or undisclosed location.

Cameras are not security.

Ignore this: 734d417914faa443d74e8205f639dfb0f79fdc44988ecae44db31e5636525afe

Caffeinism -- a toxic condition caused by excessive ingestion of coffee and other caffeine-containing beverage.
EconomicOracle

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

I can predict the future! Bitcoin will success!!!!

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:05:36 PM

I got PMs from a few people, and we're doing it. We're going to build a dreadnaught funded by bitcoins. Please donate for the cause. P.S. If you don't donate to the cause, you're against the cause.

GOOOOOOOOOOO BITCOINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edit: Oops. Just fixed a typo. It should be GO (like GO TEAM!) and not GOOB
Edit2: Just checked the dictionary and goob is not a word
Giraffe.BC

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 06:31:35 PM

I will definitely consider offering gas masks in case of volcanoes or other environmental disaster.
I think this could be a large untapped market, potentially.  I asked about buying a gas mask at Home Depot and all they had were flimsy respirators for painting and stuff, which would obviously melt as soon as lava hit them.  And nothing at all in the way of lava-proof suits.

I did buy a big piece of rebar, though, which I hit people with who come into my yard.  So I don't need a baton or anything like that.
Anonymous

July 15, 2011, 08:06:13 PM

Due to legal issues, BitPeace will not be offering the original selection it intended.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: