Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 11:26:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What do you think about changing the retarget?
Good - 20 (52.6%)
Bad - 18 (47.4%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ByteCoin Poll (PLZ Sticky)  (Read 28744 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
ahmed_bodi (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Bitrated user: ahmedbodi.

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:32:33 PM

Right, as many people know i've been planning on working on fixing bytecoin by implementing a merged mining patch. As i can see im almost ready and will put it on testnet in a day or 2. I also have a pool ready which will have merged mining on the backend but i will auto-exchange daily and double up the block reward.
Now here comes you're part:

I would like people's opinion on the following:
1) The Merged Mining Patch
2) Changing the retarget structure so it retargets more frequently, (every 30 mins?)
3) When to hard fork?

jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 02:04:46 PM

1) YES!
2) it would be a good thing if you ask me Smiley
3) Not sure :<
TheSpiral

Activity: 322
Merit: 113

Sinbad Mixer: Mix Your BTC Quickly

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:14:19 PM

1) Yes. Always good to see more merge-mined coins, especially modern ones.
2) I'm not a huge fan of fast retargets, though I doubt it'd matter much if it was merge-mined.
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:20:51 PM

good replies so far, would any of u guys be willing to host some bytecoin testnet nodes with the new client so i can mine and test the network?

meta.p02

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:23:50 PM

(1) Neutral on this.
(2) If this coin is to survive, fast retargets are a must.
(3) Block #19K seems to be a good time (at current hash rate of 18GH/s, ~15 days)

Earn Devcoins by Writing | Trade on Cryptsy! Faucets: Watch ads, earn Bitcoin | Visit pages, get Bitcoin | Gamble with faucet earnings!
If you found my post informative/interesting, consider tipping at BTC: 15877457612137dj4MM57bGXRkPzU4wPRM or DVC: 1B2PAYVe9BQRrZKaWZxWtunutwrm6fVcF7.
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:29:45 PM

currently in the client im building its set to 20k to allow for any increases in hashrate or delays in testing

Metatron

Activity: 208

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:32:35 PM

1. Yes
2. Good
3. Seems right 20K

TY

>>> If I've been of any help pls consider donating any cryptocurrency to my Cryptsy - [Trade Key: f400d7b9519d125b9908427c6ab1f28e918e3947] <<<
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:33:26 PM

Your Welcome Tongue no negative replies so far, compiling my client now and sticking it on the test network

aa

Activity: 544

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 03:08:03 PM

I'll run the client. Send/post a link.

ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 03:19:08 PM

sure

EDIT: I managed to build the merged mining daemon off an old version of the client, going to update the checkpoints and everything and then release it

ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 05:38:55 PM

is there anything u guys think i should add in?

mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 06:14:26 PM

The whole point of Bytecoin is that it's a pure copy of Bitcoin. Making it different turns Bytecoin into one of the million other alt coins around here. Plus if merge mining is successful then the difficulty retarget will become a smaller issue than at present.
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 06:55:57 PM

i can agree but the diff is something that needs to be looked at, im thinking of setting the diff to be a static value at the hard fork so we can bring it down to a normal level

movellan

Activity: 358

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 04:22:29 AM

The whole point of Bytecoin is that it's a pure copy of Bitcoin. Making it different turns Bytecoin into one of the million other alt coins around here. Plus if merge mining is successful then the difficulty retarget will become a smaller issue than at present.

Agreed. The future potential of BTE is it's 1:1 relationship to BTC. Messing with the blockchain and hard-forking just benefit those who want quick profits right away. It benefits only miners who are currently promoting the changes. I believe those who are able to conventional-mine BTE with modest hashing should continue to do so. This will give the difficulty time to come down slowly by the end of the year hopefully making block generation quicker.

It's a possibility that the increasing difficulty and hashrate BTC is currently experiencing will put many off mining Bitcoin. Also remember it's only three years to the next BTC payout halving and the coin may not be as desirable at 12.5 per block unless the price has risen quite a bit. This may make Bytecoin, with it's 1:1 copy a popular alternative to investors. What do you say, $50-$100 per BTE in three years? Better to moderately mine now than screw up the blockchain to suit a few greedy opportunists.

Just my 0.02 BTE.

ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 12:41:16 PM

possible and true. However until the last pool it was technically considered dead. Even now its blocks every 12 hours. So something has to be done to fix it

meta.p02

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 02:21:25 PM

Just want to point out... If not for the max 4x difficulty decrease, even if the remaining blocks till 20160 were all found now, the difficulty would drop by a factor of 9, to 3.8K.

Right now it's going at 93 blocks found in the past 288 hours (1 block every 3.1 hours), suggesting a hashrate of 13.79GH/s. At this rate the next diff adjustment will be in 169 days and 7 hours. Perhaps we could get people who mine just for fun (i.e. not expecting much profit) to put their hashpower onto this coin? 336MH/s here, 336MH/s there and pretty soon you'd have a whole lot of gigahashes per second.

I hope to set up a pure-SHA pool soon, and when (if ever) I get it I will include Bytecoin as one of the choices.

Earn Devcoins by Writing | Trade on Cryptsy! Faucets: Watch ads, earn Bitcoin | Visit pages, get Bitcoin | Gamble with faucet earnings!
If you found my post informative/interesting, consider tipping at BTC: 15877457612137dj4MM57bGXRkPzU4wPRM or DVC: 1B2PAYVe9BQRrZKaWZxWtunutwrm6fVcF7.
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 02:24:52 PM

i already have a pure SHA pool for bytecoin i just need to clean up the frontend. Im planning on making it PPS too to increase the users

mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 08:14:58 PM

i can agree but the diff is something that needs to be looked at, im thinking of setting the diff to be a static value at the hard fork so we can bring it down to a normal level

I'm confused. My understanding was that you are working on a merge mining patch. Would that not vastly improve the situation once implemented due to the significant increase in network hashrate?

I'm strongly of the opinion that tinkering with Bytecoin's difficulty or retargeting will destroy it's USP (unique selling point). We already have hundreds of coins similar to Bitcoin but 'a little different'.
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 08:19:23 PM

the merged mining would give it a more consistent hashrate. Think of the current hashrate + mmpool hashrate = new hashrate after the fork. What i was thinking of doing was setting the hashrate at the hard fork to something slightly lower in order to increase the block times. However i am in 2 minds about that

movellan

Activity: 358

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 08:44:33 PM

I'm strongly of the opinion that tinkering with Bytecoin's difficulty or retargeting will destroy it's USP (unique selling point). We already have hundreds of coins similar to Bitcoin but 'a little different'.

+1 - The "tinkering" that is being considered includes forking the blockchain, which should be rejected out-of-hand, as it destroys Bytecoin's uniqueness as a pure BTC clone. These "forkers" want to profit at others expense just to make it easy for themselves to merge-mine multiple alt coins. Motive is pure profit and damn the blockchain integrity.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: