Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 12:45:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What do you think about changing the retarget?
Good - 20 (52.6%)
Bad - 18 (47.4%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ByteCoin Poll (PLZ Sticky)  (Read 28744 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
DryPowder

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:35:23 AM

because bytecoin is a coin i care about which i've been spending money on creating custom pool software for it. Anyone who's used my pool's has seen the software on them change daily as i try out before deploying it on the bytecoin pool. If you guys dont trust me ask Digigami who runs the bytecoin P2Pool. unsure if i've still got the URL but it should be at bte1.crypto-expert.com or bte2.crypto-expert.com

I use the pool; it works stable until for an unknown reason they close the pool.  Huh

Keep Your Powder Dry
DryPowder

Activity: 144

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:44:16 AM

Bytecoin needs more pools and a good dedicated  exchange.

You are focusing your energy on the wrong target.

Bytecoin is perfect as it is. Just keep mining and STFU!

Maria.

And you can add a Dev. To the adding list.  Grin

Keep Your Powder Dry
movellan

Activity: 360

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:02:55 AM

because bytecoin is a coin i care about which i've been spending money on creating custom pool software for it. Anyone who's used my pool's has seen the software on them change daily as i try out before deploying it on the bytecoin pool. If you guys dont trust me ask Digigami who runs the bytecoin P2Pool. unsure if i've still got the URL but it should be at bte1.crypto-expert.com or bte2.crypto-expert.com

It's not a matter of trust. You are wasting your time. If you do get some coder to force a fork in the blockchain, you will only succeed in screwing up BTE for the current conventional miners.

If you want Bytecoins, buy the hardware and mine some like the rest of us. Scheming to corrupt a coin so you can profit without having to do the legwork may get you ahead a bit, but you'll regret it later.

Remember what happened with the last guy who wanted to fork the BTE blockchain?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=223904.0;all

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=215819.0;all

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=215819.0;all

ahmed_bodi (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Bitrated user: ahmedbodi.

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:11:46 AM

I use the pool; it works stable until for an unknown reason they close the pool.  Huh

Suspicion Confirmed ill fire my pool up tonight or tomorrow morning. We share 6-7 servers between us for pool's one suffered a hardware failure so im guessing he replaced my server with his p2pool server. Although he hadnt told me so i wasnt too sure

movellan as i said im not scheming i wont gain anything either since i dont mine. . Its legit miners who are getting punished due to the high diff. either way i have a pool so i earn money from the fee's a merged mining patch benefits the miners and the coin as a whole. Since it will become usable as a coin

lukemarshall

Activity: 183

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 08:29:21 AM

Mr. Bodi,

I am against any sort of a merged mining patch at this moment.

I think you are going in the right direction by setting up a mine pool to get more resources for the current blockchain.

You are trying to make it a tag a long when, remember this is for a more mature audience.

Let the Hash battles evolve a bit and see where this will lead.

Just saying

Its all about what the people want...
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:29:01 AM

How about this? block 21K i will set the fork for. and if everyone agrees i'll releease it

lukemarshall

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:50:55 AM

ermm..... i dont even own any mining equipment apart from 1 BE. i'm a pool OP not a miner. So theres you're whole story invalidated. And the reason i think bytecoin should be merged mined is as follows:

1) Provides a sustained hashrate for the life of bitcoin and any other SHA256 coin(basically if everyone leaves bytecoin mining the bitcoin network is still there to keep it running)

2) Fixes the diff problem resulting in 3 hour long  blocks

3) After the fix makes it easier for adoption as a currency. No company in their right minds would wait 3+ hours for a single confirm with bytecoin. The merged mining patch makes it a real contender to win the alt race

How about this? block 21K i will set the fork for. and if everyone agrees i'll releease it

editing...

ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:52:41 AM

huh?

meta.p02

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 10:02:34 AM

How about this? block 21K i will set the fork for. and if everyone agrees i'll release it

Who are the people currently mining Bytecoin? Do they know about this? If this patch is released, the current miners will be drowned out by the Bitparking merged miners, so it is important that their consent is obtained first. Otherwise, this action is equal to an attack.

Earn Devcoins by Writing | Trade on Cryptsy! Faucets: Watch ads, earn Bitcoin | Visit pages, get Bitcoin | Gamble with faucet earnings!
If you found my post informative/interesting, consider tipping at BTC: 15877457612137dj4MM57bGXRkPzU4wPRM or DVC: 1B2PAYVe9BQRrZKaWZxWtunutwrm6fVcF7.
lukemarshall

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 10:02:50 AM

ermm..... i dont even own any mining equipment apart from 1 BE. i'm a pool OP not a miner. So theres you're whole story invalidated. And the reason i think bytecoin should be merged mined is as follows:

1) Provides a sustained hashrate for the life of bitcoin and any other SHA256 coin(basically if everyone leaves bytecoin mining the bitcoin network is still there to keep it running)

2) Fixes the diff problem resulting in 3 hour long  blocks

3) After the fix makes it easier for adoption as a currency. No company in their right minds would wait 3+ hours for a single confirm with bytecoin. The merged mining patch makes it a real contender to win the alt race

editing...

look, 18 blocks in the last 24 hours,
http://bte.cryptocoinexplorer.com/chains

I am seeing a blockchain that is far from dead there ^ although I cannot confirm that the block height is accurate here because I am not connected to the Qt client at the moment.

If it is indeed acurate, it is just mooving a bit slower than you may desire, indeed do something to help if you feel like you must.

As a Self proclaimed skilled pool Operator, why not take your strings of thoughts going on here and focus on the pool to bring the Hash power to BTE?

ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 10:06:22 AM

When the p2pool was running which had +80% of the hashpower we had block announces around 5-6 times a day max. Also about the pools i just have, the 0 fee promotion is going to apply to bytecoin but for life

lukemarshall

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 10:11:10 AM

When the p2pool was running which had +80% of the hashpower we had block announces around 5-6 times a day max. Also about the pools i just have, the 0 fee promotion is going to apply to bytecoin but for life

When was the last time that it was running?

Do you not think that by starting youn the pool first that the variables change to include faster block confirmations natrually, without hard fork?

No mandatory fee is a noble idea, sure...but I'm sure if you had a very well built and protected pool people would want to contribute to see it thrive.

ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 10:43:48 AM

it was running about a week ago. and i agree. So far the server's have been as stable as a rock when left alone

Digigami

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 05:28:12 PM

Indeed that was my p2pool which was the last known Bytecoin pool out there. I did take it offline to replace one I was providing for Ahmed for this pool projects. I felt it would not be too terribly missed as I was down to 1 other user other then myself mining on it. I am now running my equipment running solo on BTE. I have been a majority of the network hash rate for quite some time now.

I supported the idea of a merged mining patch so that this chain would see long standing support from miners all over. I fear that if in the last while had I stopped mining it altogether it just may die.. After reading so many comments in this thread I am mostly undecided about it now. It seems this thread has sparked some more hash power across the network, 15+ blocks in the last 24 hours is something I have not seen in a long time.. Where where all you guys before this thread? I could have used your help along the way too ya know..

My biggest fear, should we decide to ditch the fork/merged mine idea (and to be sure everyone is on the same page here, including merged mining into Bytecoin REQUIRES that the chain be forked) is that if we continue to struggle along until finally we reach re targeting and have a new difficulty that better represents actual network difficulty, what's to stop someone or a few individuals with vast amounts of hash power from running us through that next low diff period and then abandoning us once again 2 re targets from now? Please make sure you consider this very possible situation.

We are currently fighting to keep BTE alive because someone choose to attack it, and that could happen again. While I agree forking the chain either in favour of MM or a different difficulty targeting algorithm does in some ways take away from the initial idea and also what drew me into BTE, it does also help protect the chain and any of our investments into the time in securing this network so far. 

I'd like to open more discussion on these topics, either here if Ahmed does not mind or we can start another thread on it. Most of the points here so far are very clear they don't want changes, but I haven't seen much for explanation of why they so desperately wish to leave it as is. I ask you now to weigh the risks, consider, and once again please speak your mind.
dreamwatcher
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 05:45:44 PM

bte.cryptocoinexplorer.com should be accurate as it is actively maintained as one of the CCE explorers.

If I get to the point where CCE3 is ready for deployment by the time Bytecoin is ready for re-release, I will make it one of the first coins converted over to CCE3. This could be part of the re-release announcement and  publicity.

I also ran one of the last Bytecoin pools for a short while, but shut it down when zero miners used it for some time. I would be willing to put a Bytecoin pool back up at re-release.

ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 06:28:57 PM

nice work! well then thats 2 Dedicated OP's. ill run a normal pool and a p2pool soon, perhaps tonight

dreamwatcher
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 06:50:12 PM

Everybody feel free to use the CCE Bytecoin server as an addnode to help with syncing.

addnode=84.200.4.218
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 07:06:41 PM

Indeed that was my p2pool which was the last known Bytecoin pool out there. I did take it offline to replace one I was providing for Ahmed for this pool projects. I felt it would not be too terribly missed as I was down to 1 other user other then myself mining on it. I am now running my equipment running solo on BTE. I have been a majority of the network hash rate for quite some time now.

I supported the idea of a merged mining patch so that this chain would see long standing support from miners all over. I fear that if in the last while had I stopped mining it altogether it just may die.. After reading so many comments in this thread I am mostly undecided about it now. It seems this thread has sparked some more hash power across the network, 15+ blocks in the last 24 hours is something I have not seen in a long time.. Where where all you guys before this thread? I could have used your help along the way too ya know..

My biggest fear, should we decide to ditch the fork/merged mine idea (and to be sure everyone is on the same page here, including merged mining into Bytecoin REQUIRES that the chain be forked) is that if we continue to struggle along until finally we reach re targeting and have a new difficulty that better represents actual network difficulty, what's to stop someone or a few individuals with vast amounts of hash power from running us through that next low diff period and then abandoning us once again 2 re targets from now? Please make sure you consider this very possible situation.

We are currently fighting to keep BTE alive because someone choose to attack it, and that could happen again. While I agree forking the chain either in favour of MM or a different difficulty targeting algorithm does in some ways take away from the initial idea and also what drew me into BTE, it does also help protect the chain and any of our investments into the time in securing this network so far. 

I'd like to open more discussion on these topics, either here if Ahmed does not mind or we can start another thread on it. Most of the points here so far are very clear they don't want changes, but I haven't seen much for explanation of why they so desperately wish to leave it as is. I ask you now to weigh the risks, consider, and once again please speak your mind.

I'm fine with forking so we can merge mine it.

I'm against any adjustment to the re-targeting.

Merge mining is still keeping within the original spirit of Bytecoin. Changing the difficulty retarget is changing the protocol and thus destroys the unique selling point of Bytecoin and it will become just another alt coin which is like Bitcoin 'but a bit different'.
movellan

Activity: 360

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 07:15:34 PM

I believe it's essential to the future of Bytecoin that no steps are taken by anyone to modify the blockchain in any way. Forking, merge-mining or re-targeting are not acceptable options.

meta.p02 correctly cautioned that doing so and opening up the new fork on Bitparking would constitute an attack on current miners.

Please leave the BTE blockchain alone.
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 07:24:42 PM

What i fail to see is how? the blockchain has been on its deathbed and both dreamwatcher, digigami and me pointed out. Only since i began to put these plans into action have people took any interest in the coin. You do have to realise that with the advent of ASIC's, its a peice of cake to perform an attack  on the coin to keep it down in the dumps. And tbqh i dont know if i'd even bother making an attempt again at fixing it if someone is to attack it in the future if i dont make the merged mining patches. One thing which has been misunderstood i also am dead against changing the difficulty algo. What i was saying was at the hard fork set the difficulty to be a static amount and continue on with the previous diff algo.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: