Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:13:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [SCAM PREVENTION]Remove self-moderation for topics within the marketplace!  (Read 20837 times)
tmfp
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737

"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

View Profile
October 01, 2019, 01:41:38 PM

....Self moderation is an anachronism and should be completely removed from the forum.

So not being able to delete posts like the one below is what you want?

“Fuck you die you mofo.  Btw his address is available via a pm”

Posted by a newbie with nothing to lose.

I understand, but I'd have thought that a report to moderator for an insubstantial post would be just as useful in cases like that.

A self mod when properly used is a good tool.
I self mod almost every single thread I make.
And if I do delete a post I quote the post. Unless it is a post like the fake one in quotes above.
If you look at most threads I do I don’t have to self mod or delete much . I like to think it is because people know i will mod it fairly.

You agree that you don't have to self mod much.
That's my point, for every one of you using the self mod facility responsibly but actually needing it only occasionally, there's many others abusing it to project a false image of their threads and of the claims in them as being unquestioned and uncontested.

Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Evidence

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MiLkz (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 300

View Profile
October 01, 2019, 02:46:50 PM

I would like to remove self-mod completely, but I myself do use it in rare occasions. I currently have a thread self-modded to prevent the scammers I go after from posting.  Regardless, in this thread I am proposing the removal of self-mod for users below senior level(maybe full).  So the users who should be using it properly are left with the ability to do so, like you, philipma1957.

This seems to be the best compromise.
tmfp
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737

"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

View Profile
October 01, 2019, 03:31:12 PM

I would like to remove self-mod completely, but I myself do use it in rare occasions. I currently have a thread self-modded to prevent the scammers I go after from posting.  Regardless, in this thread I am proposing the removal of self-mod for users below senior level(maybe full).  So the users who should be using it properly are left with the ability to do so, like you, philipma1957.

This seems to be the best compromise.

It's not unknown for scammers to buy high ranking accounts if they see the need for one.
Generally I'm against the current apparent policy of "perks" for seniority, merit accumulators etc. It seems logical but it encourages a 'them and us' scenario that can deter genuine new users and also is easily corrupted because of the ease of account selling.
I think I've only ever started one self modded thread and that was way back, when I needed specific answers to a specific question and wanted to be able to delete signature spam.

Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Evidence
MiLkz (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2019, 03:45:06 PM

It's not unknown for scammers to buy high ranking accounts if they see the need for one.
Generally I'm against the current apparent policy of "perks" for seniority, merit accumulators etc. It seems logical but it encourages a 'them and us' scenario that can deter genuine new users and also is easily corrupted because of the ease of account selling.
I think I've only ever started one self modded thread and that was way back, when I needed specific answers to a specific question and wanted to be able to delete signature spam.

No doubt I would like to remove it completely, but its been over a year since I made this thread.  I am willing to take anything at this point...haha

In the main post, I also suggested the removal of self-moderation for anyone with negative trust, so rank will not matter.  If someone buys a legendary account and gets tagged, there goes their ability to self-mod.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2019, 03:57:46 PM

This is something that has been discussed ad nauseam in the past. We shouldn't be stripping down features of the forum when the trust system, report to moderation, and making your own threads are more than sufficient. I was around before this feature existed. To this day a similar problem sill exists, and to a lesser extent still does, of users trolling the marketplace posts for their own amusement or to target certain members and prevent them from trading legitimately, then claiming they are simply warning people of XYZ for example and cry censorship when they're asked to stop. They may also object to the specific good being offered and do their best to prevent it from being traded, leaving the seller with few options to trade legitimately.

This might not seem like a big deal to those who don't sell in the section or only do so occasionally, but it really doesn't take much to turn people off of a sale. Most buying habits are compulsive, so a little thing like one guy making up some bullshit is possible to stop the vast majority of sales. Self moderation exists in those sections for good reason.
MiLkz (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 01:34:37 PM

This is something that has been discussed ad nauseam in the past. We shouldn't be stripping down features of the forum when the trust system, report to moderation, and making your own threads are more than sufficient. I was around before this feature existed. To this day a similar problem sill exists, and to a lesser extent still does, of users trolling the marketplace posts for their own amusement or to target certain members and prevent them from trading legitimately, then claiming they are simply warning people of XYZ for example and cry censorship when they're asked to stop. They may also object to the specific good being offered and do their best to prevent it from being traded, leaving the seller with few options to trade legitimately.

This might not seem like a big deal to those who don't sell in the section or only do so occasionally, but it really doesn't take much to turn people off of a sale. Most buying habits are compulsive, so a little thing like one guy making up some bullshit is possible to stop the vast majority of sales. Self moderation exists in those sections for good reason.

I understand.  That's why we can either limit certain user groups or, even better, keep allowing it for everyone except those that have/get negative red trust.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2019, 03:18:28 PM

I understand.  That's why we can either limit certain user groups or, even better, keep allowing it for everyone except those that have/get negative red trust.

Seems simple doesn't it? Limiting it to ranking members might be a solution, but your other metric would mean I wouldn't qualify to use self moderated threads. Because of an abusive negative rating by Vod for criticizing his behavior, by your metric I would be excluded in spite of my 8 years of trade history here.
MiLkz (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 03:22:07 PM

Seems simple doesn't it? Limiting it to ranking members might be a solution, but your other metric would mean I wouldn't qualify to use self moderated threads. Because of an abusive negative rating by Vod for criticizing his behavior, by your metric I would be excluded in spite of my 8 years of trade history here.

No, one negative would not be enough.  It would be like those new flags for scammers, where you need the support of multiple users.  The user would have to be "red" and have received multiple negatives by DT users in order to lose the self-mod ability.

Sorry for not explaining properly  Grin
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2019, 03:30:39 PM

No, one negative would not be enough.  It would be like those new flags for scammers, where you need the support of multiple users.  The user would have to be "red" and have received multiple negatives by DT users in order to lose the self-mod ability.

Sorry for not explaining properly  Grin

Unfortunately even flags get abused. I am not fond of the idea of basing forum usage rights to the trust system, it is too heavily abused.
MiLkz (OP)

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 02:03:35 AM

Unfortunately even flags get abused. I am not fond of the idea of basing forum usage rights to the trust system, it is too heavily abused.

True, there is no easy solution, but what about eliminating it for just Newbies and Jr. Members which are 99% of the time the people who abuse it.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2019, 02:10:29 AM

True, there is no easy solution, but what about eliminating it for just Newbies and Jr. Members which are 99% of the time the people who abuse it.

I would consider that a reasonable compromise.
WillyAp

Activity: 686
Merit: 16

Looking for guilt best look first into a mirror

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2023, 04:32:08 PM

**UPDATE: Sent PM to theymos on 2/19.

There should not be many downsides to removing the self-moderation options for the lower user groups within certain marketplace sections.

What do you think?

The link to the escrow services should be prominently encrusted into those postings/offers.
From there on your responsabilty is void.

Marketing in EN und DE
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: