Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:25:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 141 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Exchange or Wallet?  (Read 8669 times)
Janinjo11 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Janinjo tips

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 05:55:57 PM

I have a question.

What is better? To keep your coins on some Exchange site or to open wallets for each coin?

I would like to hear some advice.  What are pros & cons of each option?

Thanks
tora

Activity: 532
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:01:15 PM
Merited by lienfaye (1)

It depends what you want to do. If you want to trade then obviously an exchange. If you want to hold then wallet is best as you have total control over your assets. You have the keys to access wallet and you can send where you want.Some holders are having problems getting funds released from certain exchangers.
blant

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:03:10 PM

I have a question.

What is better? To keep your coins on some Exchange site or to open wallets for each coin?

Thanks

The best practice is to keep only those funds on exchange that you want to day trade or hold on mid term. For other assets and long term investments is better to use cold wallets.
Denlv

Activity: 350
Merit: 39

dApps Development Automation Platform

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:04:27 PM

Hello!The better is probaly wallet,and save ur stuff on cold storage i decide trezor the bestest way to save ur staff and secure.Echange is good only in one way,tobuy fast tokens if they grow up becose u dont need to transfer fiat or token to ur excnage to buy tokens,why not secure becose exchanges can fail or be hacked more often..Good luck!

Meepospammer

Activity: 406
Merit: 20

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:07:06 PM

It is better to store your coins in a wallet. Once a trading platform is hacked say goodbye to your beloved coins. Though having your coins in an exchange is quite advantageous too, let's say the price of the coin suddenly went up, you can easily trade it. Having it in your wallet, it will need quite some time to be confirmed and during this time price might have already dropped.
If you're in with holding the coin for a long time, store it in a wallet, and just trade it whenever you're ready or you really need to.
Wind_Crypto

Merit: 36

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:16:49 PM

due to the nature of my portfolio (50% long-term, 30% ico, 20% speculative), i hold the same 50/30/20 ratio in ledger nano (cold wallet), mew (for icos) and exchanges (trading) respectively.

There's always a risk to put ur coins on exchanges. For one, i recently lost ard 5k from coins held on coinsmarkets when it went down (not sure if it's ever coming back), solely because i was too lazy to stake my own coins and coinsmarkets had a coins staking feature.

Always prepare for the worst. So u wun regret.

cavaBcoin

Activity: 181
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:23:34 PM

I have a question.

Thanks
It depend on you are long term or short investing. If you are a long term investor i advise you should store all coin which you buy in your wallet, this will safer than. But if you are a trader, of course you have to store your coin in exchange, this will help you saving fee deposit and withdraw.
dindadida

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:37:58 PM

some of my coins put on the exchange and some of the others I put in the wallet. my reason is because the exchange sometimes closes. and in the wallet sometimes there are hackers who want to steal my coins. when the exchange is closed maih there is the rest of the coin in the wallet and when the coin is missing the wallet there is still a coin on the exchange. it's my strategy to keep the coins I have.
cryptobobo

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

The P2P Marketplace For Digital Content

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:38:08 PM

I have a question.

Thanks
That is not a good idea,what if the exchange got hacked and then you put all your coins in an exchange wallet?you are done,that is why these exchanges their users to store big amounts of coin in their exchanges,because these exchanges are prone to the hackers.There is no safe system but you can store it in multiple wallets,hardwallets,and paper wallets are the most commonly used wallets.

chukaday

Activity: 210
Merit: 104

⚡ Property-secured P2P lending ⚡

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:40:48 PM

If the coin or token has a wallet you should most definitely use it. The downside will be you having to manage another wallet.dat or whatever but that price is small to pay if an exchange gets hacked or goes down.

Murloc

Activity: 322
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:46:21 PM

The general advice is to keep your coins in your wallet but it mostly depend on your situation. If you are doing some trading stuff with this coin then you will definetely need some on the exchanges. If you don't have much coins then fees will probably be painfull for you and you will keep it on exchanges. If you are holding an altcoin and it it traded only on 1 exchange then you won't have access to it anyway if the exchange will be closed. Some exchanges have their own features that may help you to earn some intrrest (like lending in polo). But holding on exchanges always have a small risk.

cryptosifu

Activity: 378
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:50:38 PM

You should always keep your cryptocurrencies in your wallet.  Only keep coins on exchanges for trading purposes.  With the recent hacks of Coincheck and Bitgrail, it should be a message that exchanges are not safe for storing coins. 
CryptoTrip

Activity: 476

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:52:11 PM

If you are constantly trading, it is better to keep on the exchange, preferably at several, two factor identification will protect you. If you keep it for a long time, it's better to have a wallet. You can left your money and don't worry about that the stock exchange can be closed or something else will happen.

Vcam76

Merit: 13

INGOT Coin

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:54:40 PM

It's depend on you. If you want to trade with your asset, the best choise is use a exchange so you able to go trade soon. If you want to hold a coin for long times, tye good choise is you use an wallet because you will get all features to secure your asset because only wallet give you private key and the private key take only you can access that asset.

◕  INGOTCOIN  ◕    ██  Twitter  ██      ██  Telegram  ██  ◕  INGOTCOIN  ◕
████  BRIDGING MARKETS ███
██          AN ALL INCLUSIVE ECOSYSTEM          ██
nter]
jbautistangina

Activity: 258
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:57:08 PM

I do not prefer storing my precious coins into exchanges,but if i am going to trade i am putting half of my portfolio to my exchange wallet because i am a day/swing trade which needs a lot of funds but after i have gained so much using the funds in my exchange wallet i am moving it immediately so i can secured it for the long run.Exchanges are being targeted by the hackers that is why it gives you more risk of losing your money when you are putting all your funds in a single exchange.

dulari1

Activity: 252
Merit: 4

EQUAL Network Token

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:02:25 PM

always keep them in wallet , specially hardware wallets or paper wallet .

exchanges and wallets have both pros and cons .
exchanges give you instant buying and selling and 1 account is enough for all the coins .

on other hand own wallet gives you feel of safety .

day trader can keep his coins in exchanges but for a holder it should be in wallet .

EQUALtoken.io      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄ ▄
▀ ▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     SELF DEFLATIONARY CRYPTOCURRENCY
dasha_buka

Activity: 392

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:06:00 PM

The safest option is to keep all your coins on wallets , so much safer . And in case if the market will close the input and output of coins at the pump , it quickly can be translated into needed exchange
itsandylandman

Activity: 64
Merit: 9

"Don't look back but never forget"

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2018, 07:07:49 PM

It really is just one of those things that depends on what you are trying to do: how safe you want your assets to be vs how liquid you want them to be.
You keep them in an exchange, you run the risk of the exchange being hacked/the owners of the exchange running off with your money (Mt. Gox) BUT something happens with the price action, you can easily move it around to prevent loss/take advantage of an opportunity
You keep them in a hard wallet for example, you are the only one who has access because you have changed to having physical ownership of your asset BUT if something funky happens with the price action you might miss out trying to get back on an exchange.
My advise, prepare for ALL worst case scenarios. Figure out if something happens, how much are you willing to lose? Do you do a lot of technical analysis where you are spotting a lot of opportunities to begin with? Get your percentages figured out to create a code for yourself, and then stick to that code!
Whatever happens tho, good luck!

"Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." -Napolian Hill
-Andrew Land
MediaCoin Inc.
boyjackyou

Activity: 301
Merit: 11

DATABLOCKCHAIN.IO SALE IS LIVE | MVP @ DBC.IO

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:09:25 PM

Neither of the two would be safe,if you want to secure your holdings or investments you need to get a hardwallet,ledger nano s or trezor would be the best choices,either of the two will protect your investments.The risk of having your investments in exchange wallet would be big because most of the hackers targets the exchanges regularly,some exchanges were hacked and all the users of these exchanges lose a lot of money so putting your coins in a hardwallet woild be the best.

vintages

Activity: 966
Merit: 153

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:09:51 PM

I keep on telling people who cares to know, DO NOT ever leave your coins on any exchange. No matter how secure they claim to be, or promise to be, they can never guarantee you that their exchange won't be hacked anytime. Do yourself a huge favor and open a secured offline wallet for storing your coins. When an exchange gets hacked, it is only an apology that you will get from them, not a single coin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 141 »
  Print  

Jump to: