Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:06:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Message about Roger Ver found in debug log  (Read 263 times)
wdrago (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 10:58:09 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

All,

I had trouble with Bitcoin Core (0.15.1) this morning and had to terminate via task manager. Upon examining my debug log I found this:

2018-02-13 10:10:45 receive version message: /Satoshi:0.15.1(FUCK-ROGER-VER-HE-IS-ONLY-INTERESTED-IN-GETTING-RICHER-GREED)/: version 70015, blocks=508970

Why is that message in there?

Thanks,
-Bill

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 11:28:08 AM
Merited by ABCbits (2), TheQuin (1)

That's from another Bitcoin node on the network.

Starting Bitcoin (bitcoind or Bitcoin-Qt) with -uacomment=<any_message_the_user_chooses_to_write> will (you guessed it) append any message the user chooses to write to the version string advertised to other connecting nodes on the Bitcoin network.

i.e. someone else wrote some graffiti in their version string, and you can do that too if you want to have a less anonymous node

Vires in numeris
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 06:21:57 PM

That's from another Bitcoin node on the network.

Starting Bitcoin (bitcoind or Bitcoin-Qt) with -uacomment=<any_message_the_user_chooses_to_write> will (you guessed it) append any message the user chooses to write to the version string advertised to other connecting nodes on the Bitcoin network.

i.e. someone else wrote some graffiti in their version string, and you can do that too if you want to have a less anonymous node

I was wondering how people is free to put whatever messages they want, and this comes with a negative: For example, if kids are browsing the lightning network explorer as seen here:

https://lnmainnet.gaben.win/

They could see inappropriate stuff from trolls, but there's no way to moderate that. Also, when browsing addresses and transactions, trolls can add comments into the transactions. For example, some guys where spamming onions of drug marketplaces and sending small transactions around. Thanks to the increase in fees it seems they don't bother as much with this anymore tho.
wdrago (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 10:12:26 AM

Thank you for the replies. I was running core 5 years ago and lost interest. Now I'm back to the party...
-Bill
nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2018, 07:06:34 PM
Merited by ABCbits (2), stompix (1)

Fully analogous to a web browser’s “User-Agent” request header.  I might toss a wiseacre remark in there, if I were so foolish as to desire an anonymity set of 1.

This may not be such a bad idea with the “Server” response-header on a webserver.  Well—unless, that is, you mix things up between vhosts as all too many .onion server operators do.

Those who have received mail from me may (not) have noticed:

Code:
User-Agent: The.Nym.Zone

Edit:

I was wondering how people is free to put whatever messages they want, and this comes with a negative: For example, if kids are browsing

Oh-no!  Time to develop censorware “filters” for Bitcoin version strings.

N.b. that outside quotes of others, I myself have never used a vulgar word on this forum.  As the only member of this forum who has ever received +50 for an insult, as a shriek from the target of the insult, I take pride in my ability to express my thoughts (including anger) via more cogent means.  I would still object to censorship of Bitcoin version strings.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: