Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:59:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripple will be open-sourced on September 26!!!  (Read 2495 times)
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 12:18:52 PM

"Alt-Coin" is an alternate currency created off the original Bitcoin blockchain.  Ripple is not based on the Bitcoin blockchain.

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Liquid

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 12:29:27 PM

but its a centralized. privatized monetary system for-profit company where Opencoin will hold half of all the XRP in existence, in the hope that they will gain value  Roll Eyes

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 12:43:42 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2013, 01:04:46 PM by Coinseeker

The moment Ripple is open sourced, you're weak argument dies.  XRP is not Ripple and thus it's value is largely irrelevant beyond speculation.  Just sounds like pure jealousy to me that you didn't come up with it.  Grin  I like to see people making money. Shame that bothers you.

Furthermore, whether you like Ripple or not, if you don't currently hold XRP's and are not buying in at these prices, you should refrain from speculating on anything.  It's a no brainer.  The rest of us are going to triple and quadruple our money, just like last time.  Except with open source, who knows how high things will go.  Maybe 10 or 20 times.  Shocked   Frankly, I hope you Ripple haters sit this one out.  Why should you profit off something you hate?   Huh

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
AmazonStuff (OP)

Activity: 628

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 01:24:06 PM

BTC/XRP:
Bid: 17250
Ask: 17300

It was above 20 000 two hours ago Cheesy

Bid: 15304
Ask: 15350

lonesoul

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 01:38:33 PM

Couple of things,

1) thanks to original poster - I personally haven't bought any ripple/XPR but i was under the impression that Ripple was a currency and didn't know it was a protocol itself.  (If it is going open source shouldnt we see the rise of  multiple Ripple coin clones in the same way we now have lots of Scrypt and Sha coins? {or is my lack of understanding, showing now i have said that ;-) }
 ) So thanks for posting because i learnt something new :-) (well i now have a whole new area to look into >.< )

2) NWO not sure why you dont like the guy but after rereading his posts it looks as though you jumped the gun after misreading them - I have done exactly the same in the past, had long arguments about things when i  have simply read a word wrong and have thought it meant something completely different. I always find if i take offence to something Its best to reread it before posting (it also gives you time to frame an even more amusing answer if you did initially read it correctly :-)

Like how LTC will be on gox in July? Your constant Ripple threads look desperate and devalues the very cause that you are trying to promote. If it was officially that date there would be an official notice.

Well,  I am a huge fan of Ripple, you got that right,  I have no interest in other alt-currency, so I can't write about them, I can write about something I'm interested in, and that is Ripple. I have found the video, watched the video, found what man said and shared that info with the community. What is wrong with that? I'm sorry because you haven't found this info valuable, next time skip my posts, click the ignore button below my avatar.

Excellent, so you agree with me. Why don't you leave bitcointalk (since you have no interest in alt-currencies) and go to the official Ripple forum for your pathetic preaching.

You are wrong again, Ripple among other things IS alt-currency and I don't have to be the fan of shit-coin in order to post here about Ripple. This info was for the people who found this info valuable and I hope that they will use it and you feel free to ignore.  

Dude just stop, you are embarrassing yourself and OC. You know nothing about what you are talking and you are coming across as a complete retard to everyone on the forum.

1. You state you dislike alt currencies, but then you say Ripple is an alt currency.... Makes sense  Roll Eyes
2. Ripple IS NOT an alt coin. Ripple is a protocol.

So do us all a favour and never return. No one appreciates your bible bashing.

I think you mean bible banging

Also quick note to Hydro, I think it was lost in translation, In the UK Bible Bashing is the correct term for someone that continually bangs on about religion :-)  (its also fairly commonly associated with jehovah's witnesses around my area)

But if you want we can start a mini war over the correct term ;-) The UK BibleBashing chapter is always up for a bit of semi/none religious warfare! (as long as it only entails fake weapons and lightly coated fluffy insults :-) (Also we're both on Cryptsy enough to be able to allow it to spill over there and rally some more troops to support each cause!   Im StuartNorth on Cryptsy :-) )

All the best

Stuart

Please click this link-> https://mcxnow.com/?r=Stuartnorth       (The link is a referral link, it costs you nothing, but provides a little bonus for me if you click through to the site. Please help feed my baby. Thanks :-) )
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 03:40:41 PM

1) Yes, it is likely that there will be forks, which are also likely incompatible with OpenCoin's Ripple. Just as Bitcoin manages to survive just fine even though *coin exists, Ripple will probably also survive this as long as it is the better option amongst its competition. You can learn more about the protocol at the wiki most likely, if you have more specific questions feel free to ask in this forum (under "Alternate Cryptocurrencies" is most likely the best place, even if your question is about some other aspect in Ripple... Admins + Mods here are a bit jumpy when it comes to Ripple) or maybe also in the forum at ripple.com.

2) Well, I don't like this kind of "preaching" style too - Ripple is a very useful and nice system in my opinion and just informing people in a non (or at least less) sensationalist style is imho more useful in getting people to take a second look than populism in both directions ("Ripple will kick Bitcoin out of the water" vs. ripplescam.org which can be reduced to "it's closed source" and a misunderstanding what IOUs are and how they are generally used in society).

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 04:16:43 PM

"Alt-Coin" is an alternate currency created off the original Bitcoin blockchain.
Wtf am I reading

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
bibbit

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 08:28:17 AM

If it is going open source shouldnt we see the rise of  multiple Ripple coin clones in the same way we now have lots of Scrypt and Sha coins? {or is my lack of understanding, showing now i have said that ;-) }

Once rippled is open sourced, it will only take minutes before someone announces "Tipple: so your friends can owe you more than *just* a beer."

Ripple is a different beast than bitcoin derived alt coins, however, and cloning it misses the point. The real power of Ripple comes from the gateways, which make it easy to get real value into the system and then get it out easily as whatever currency you need. OpenCoin is spending a lot of manpower and XRP signing up gateways who can move real money through Ripple, in many national currencies and crypto/virtual currencies. A simple clone will not have access to any of that. Network effects will be hard to overcome.   

---

For the life of me, I can't figure out why many supporters of small/new alt coins rail against Ripple on one hand while hoping that their coin gets listed on an exchange on the other. It seems like one of the steps of releasing a new coin should be for the creator to have a simple pass through Ripple gateway, see Dividend Rippler's method, so that even the first users have access to an exchange. The new coin announcement should include the Ripple issuing address and deposit/redemption instructions. 

BAM! If people are interested in the new coin, there is instant access to exchange markets or the ability to make purchases with the coin with anyone who accepts any currency Ripple payments or via the Bitcoin bridge. A new/small coin's community doesn't have to wait for someone else to decide that it is worth their while to add the coin to their exchange. The creator can control that from the start. For an added benefit, as the first gateway for the coin, the creator would get any transfer fees that he sets on the Ripple-side currency assets. If he runs the gateway well, his will probably end up staying the gateway of record.

---

Now, I can see a Ripple fork by those who don't agree with OpenCoin's XRP distribution gaining some measure of support in the crypto coin community. It might even get a few exchanges linked in. However, while that fork grows slowly among the crypto coin community, OpenCoin will be bringing more and more national currency gateways online. Since people will make good use of this to get money into and out of Bitcoin/alt coin exchanges that use the original Ripple, I don't see such a fork going very far.   

Also quick note to Hydro, I think it was lost in translation, In the UK Bible Bashing is the correct term for someone that continually bangs on about religion :-) 

Around this part of the US, we call them "Bible Thumpers."
AmazonStuff (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 08:44:53 AM

This is not "preaching", I'm only sharing news from the Ripple world, if you read this thread from the beginning till end, every post I made was about something that already happened.

So, when I'm already here, let me share the news:

BTC/XRP:

Bid: 14012
Ask: 14055
viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 04:16:32 AM

This is not "preaching", I'm only sharing news from the Ripple world, if you read this thread from the beginning till end, every post I made was about something that already happened.

BTC/XRP:

Nice to see that

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
AmazonStuff (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 08:12:30 AM

BTC/XRP:

Bid: 12800
Ask: 13195
Liquid

Activity: 826

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:06:48 AM

I hold nothing against ripple, i understand the owners want to lay down the rails for next gen global eCommerce and and build the ripple protocol on top.

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
marcovaldo

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:18:15 AM

How can you get XRP with buying them?

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 10:02:38 AM

How can you get XRP with buying them?

I guess you mean "without"?

You could get them at giveaways for free (similar to Bitcoin faucets), other than that XRP are designed to be bought. On the other hand, you'll likely will not need to buy any significant amount to use the system basically forever (and I am talking about "1 coffee at a café" amounts converted in USD), after that holding any more XRP is speculation just like with any other asset.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
AmazonStuff (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 05:50:44 AM

Who said it first about open-sourcing Ripple? Who found the video first? Who found what Patrick said about Ripple being open-sourced on September 26? Who almost got kicked out of Bitcointalk for sharing that info? And look who are the happiest guys on this forum and Ripple forum, guys who attacked me with no reason. I think, at least that I deserve right to post here about Ripple again....
AmazonStuff (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 10:13:20 AM

BTC/XRP:

Bid: 10000
Ask: 10468
AmazonStuff (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 11:23:55 AM

BTC/XRP:

Bid: 10000