Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:09:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Satoshi works for
a government agency (with good intention)
a government agency (as a part of an evil plan)
a university
himself/herself (independent hacker)

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Satoshi works for...  (Read 2843 times)
oleganza (OP)

Activity: 200
Merit: 104

Software design and user experience.

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 08:55:56 AM

There are generally 3 options that people speculate about: either Satoshi works for something like NSA (in US, UK or other country), or he/she is an academic, or some independent cypherpunk. Option about NSA is two-sided: either Bitcoin is an evil conspiracy against mankind, or it's a creation to save the world by someone in the knowledge within a well-funded government agency.

What's your speculation?

Bitcoin analytics: blog.oleganza.com / 1TipsuQ7CSqfQsjA9KU5jarSB1AnrVLLo

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 09:14:35 AM

he did enough solo mining to be through by now...for all we know there is someone who works for bitcoin full-time who happens to be him and its a schizophrenic episode to be satoshi.

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 09:15:15 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto is an anagram for "i am NSA, took oaths"

Make of that what you will.
will1982

Activity: 122
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 11:30:30 AM

I'm guessing he wouldn't degrade himself with any of those organizations
cointoss

Activity: 92

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 11:41:28 AM

I doubt the official story of the lone anonymous hacker. Time may tell.

QQCoin: QQSRP5u9yL7KtDAsGX7XmQ6QxHiA7BCGAv    doge: D8yy1FW5FdkoFCQP1nQeWGKX3ugcbegpJD

BTC: 15ExWcdDN38o852bC2jBEuC5igqp8gdtAK             EAC: eV9qafrM8uGaNzbvLXRCVVXkmmysUv7fud
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 11:45:07 AM

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 12:28:50 PM

Why does it have to be good or evil for it to be a government plan, can't it just be some gray area?
faiza1990

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 12:36:39 PM

I think he is working for NSA like organization or may be part of this Cheesy

tmbp

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 03:37:45 PM

himself/herself  Cheesy
oleganza (OP)

Activity: 200
Merit: 104

Software design and user experience.

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 03:47:34 PM

Why does it have to be good or evil for it to be a government plan, can't it just be some gray area?

Difference is this:

1. Either it's some govt plan for whatever good/gray/bad reasons.

2. Or he/she is a single smart person working in NSA or another place that hire many smart cryptographers and hackers. He/she wants to change the world by releasing Bitcoin, but can be prosecuted for espionage by his/her own employee. Also, if people find out that Bitcoin is made by a someone in NSA, they might not trust it very much.

Bitcoin analytics: blog.oleganza.com / 1TipsuQ7CSqfQsjA9KU5jarSB1AnrVLLo
rampantparanoia

Activity: 516
Merit: 283

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 03:50:03 PM

can't decide which applies more for me:

or

i guess i'm leaning on #2 due to its caption
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 05:47:41 PM

Define good or evil.

My guess is, it's the US gov preparing for a post-USD world with them holding some 50% of the worlds money reserve again. For me that's damn evil as I don't see any chance of getting rid of the military industrial complex if that's the case.

If you work in the US "defense" (only one " for brevity) sector, that's damn good as your employer will not run out of wars for the next 100 years. If you are into Bitcoin for the profit, that's damn good as there is no way Bitcoin could be stopped by any Fed or gov or anything. If you think "honest money" can only be better than fiat because the banks can go die finally, no matter the fact that some organisation owns half of all of this oh so honest money, then it's good.

These thoughts make it hard for me to put all my weight behind the white knight Bitcoin saving us all from evil fiat. It's not black or white. The idea is good and Crypto-Money is here to stay but I doubt some provable non-gov version would ever survive that long.

Edit: Ok, I picked "evil plan" just to see what the others picked and I can't believe 70% think that it was a single person! Is this forum run by the NSA with tons of sock puppets?

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
jeffhuys

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 09:06:35 PM

It could be a name for a group of hackers...

p2pbucks

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 10:31:04 PM

independent hacker i guess
he is a great man  Grin
ghostshirt

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 10:34:36 PM

e) Illuminati

zuerdemon

Activity: 114

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 10:41:09 PM

And does anybody know or it should be in Speculation section ?
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 10:55:12 PM

a government agency (with good intention)    - doubt it, people with 100% good intentions in government get fucked
a government agency (as a part of an evil plan) - his identity would be revealed then, because the government loves acting like all the evil it does is actually "for the children"
himself/herself (independent hacker) - independent hackers seem to get revealed, like Mitnick, and get bent over by the government, no matter if they are black/white/grey hats.
a university - this is my vote, because I've seen rabble-rousing university professors like John Lott manage to be successful and not get bent over by the government despite some universities being quasi-governmental

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
ronimacarroni

Activity: 140

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 11:12:19 PM

His white paper looks like it was made somebody who most likely went to grad school for computer science/cryptography.
So I think he works for a university.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 08:25:35 AM

Define good or evil.

My guess is, it's the US gov preparing for a post-USD world with them holding some 50% of the worlds money reserve again. For me that's damn evil as I don't see any chance of getting rid of the military industrial complex if that's the case.

If you work in the US "defense" (only one " for brevity) sector, that's damn good as your employer will not run out of wars for the next 100 years. If you are into Bitcoin for the profit, that's damn good as there is no way Bitcoin could be stopped by any Fed or gov or anything. If you think "honest money" can only be better than fiat because the banks can go die finally, no matter the fact that some organisation owns half of all of this oh so honest money, then it's good.

These thoughts make it hard for me to put all my weight behind the white knight Bitcoin saving us all from evil fiat. It's not black or white. The idea is good and Crypto-Money is here to stay but I doubt some provable non-gov version would ever survive that long.

Edit: Ok, I picked "evil plan" just to see what the others picked and I can't believe 70% think that it was a single person! Is this forum run by the NSA with tons of sock puppets?
This. Petrodollar --> Bitcoin.  Could also be some other country fed up by the petrodollar.

But it is hard to imagine a) an agency being so creative, b) them not being scared but really pulling it of

Alpaca Bob

Activity: 153

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 11:00:13 AM

I suggest we keep Litecoin around just in case.

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: