Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:12:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Under oil to keep it cool?  (Read 3834 times)
SPC_Bitcoin (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Coffee makes it all better!

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 08:00:44 PM

This is pretty crazy, see for yourself! (prototype tank test with hair dryer)

http://youtu.be/h_7iOKCL-fM

NEVER GOT PAID.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btc4ever

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 08:11:29 PM

I've seen oil submersion before, but not with a pump and external heat exchanger.   I'm not sure how necessary that is, as the exterior of the tank has a fairly large surface area, and would radiate out a lot of heat anyway.  Something that could be calculated.

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
brogramer

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 08:21:36 PM

Actually an external heat exchange would be really good cuz then you could have a sealed system and not have to worry about the oil going rancid or getting stuff in it...

Ideally you could vacuum seal it in a container and just have the external radiator.
polarhei

Activity: 462

Firing it up

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 04:11:14 AM

This is pretty crazy, see for yourself! (prototype tank test with hair dryer)

http://youtu.be/h_7iOKCL-fM

not so crazy, it is just a simulation before real put in. Today, I have contacted with 3M to check if there is a not so messy method to maintain the desired as noise is the major problem. If the spent can reduce the chance to get diseased, then good.

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 10:26:44 AM

not have to worry about the oil going rancid

Dude, you're not supposed to use cooking oil.  Roll Eyes
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 09:50:20 AM

I was playing with the idea of an oil tank for blades, but it is completely unnecessary.

I had the resources to create a prototype of it (actually 2), but things move so quick in the BTC world you would regret any additional expense to your mining operation.

Oil submerging is quite good though in terms of cooling, but have some downsides too:

1.) A tank filled with oil and HW is very heavy so not convenient to move if needed. (my prototype weights around 30kgs+ filled up, including pumps and all the other HW)

2.) Maintenance can be quite messy

3.) It's expensive.

4.) If a pump fails the HW can literally fry and get damaged due to no circulation.

polarhei

Firing it up

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 05:52:40 AM

I was playing with the idea of an oil tank for blades, but it is completely unnecessary.

I had the resources to create a prototype of it (actually 2), but things move so quick in the BTC world you would regret any additional expense to your mining operation.

Oil submerging is quite good though in terms of cooling, but have some downsides too:

1.) A tank filled with oil and HW is very heavy so not convenient to move if needed. (my prototype weights around 30kgs+ filled up, including pumps and all the other HW)

3.) It's expensive.

4.) If a pump fails the HW can literally fry and get damaged due to no circulation.

Oil is not so expensive as you use cooking oil instead of Mineral one.
If using Intel(R), overheat can be down, can be up after temperature decreases.

P.S
There is a more efficient method which has been using for decades, Fluoride solution by 3M. Started from military Radars to a known supercomputer then trimmed called Novec 7100. I have contacted with 3M, a key person has asked me if I am ready, the desired wattage, I said Ready, Like to cooldown 1300W being for Multi-purpose (Including bitcoin). Although the Novec solution can be more expensive than Oil Cooling, the messy cleaning is completely eliminated, no need to care about the Pump and radiators.
desired_username

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 08:40:51 AM

3.) It's expensive.

P.S
There is a more efficient method which has been using for decades, Fluoride solution by 3M. Started from military Radars to a known supercomputer then trimmed called Novec 7100. I have contacted with 3M, a key person has asked me if I am ready, the desired wattage, I said Ready, Like to cooldown 1300W being for Multi-purpose (Including bitcoin). Although the Novec solution can be more expensive than Oil Cooling, the messy cleaning is completely eliminated, no need to care about the Pump and radiators.

Cooking oil is a very bad idea. It won't last long when exposed to heat not to mention the smell. Mineral oil is the only way to go. The 3M solution is even more expensive than mineral oil.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 09:04:38 AM

Cooking oil is a very bad idea. It won't last long when exposed to heat not to mention the smell. Mineral oil is the only way to go. The 3M solution is even more expensive than mineral oil.

Mineral oil is better if you can find it at a reasonable price, but its not because its cooking oil that you need to cook it. When pumping it through a radiator it should be easy to keep the oil below ~40C or so, and at those temps and properly sealed vegetable oil should last longer than your asic will be profitable. Even if it goes rancid at some point, it costs next to nothing to replace it. You could probably even "recycle" it by putting it in your diesel car.
demonmaestro

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Mining for the hell of it.

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 09:07:04 AM

you can find Mineral oil at your local drug store. Although the counter clerk may give you an odd look due to i think that stuff is used to "clean you out"...

Feel Like Donating? bc1q0v5nfdejapffewu67gft7zw7zsmnfmmkt3lf02
Buy/Sell BitCoin & LiteCoin  Click here! | Looking for a great exchange? CoinBase Has you covered.
jeffhuys

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 10:43:51 AM

One of my friends has his pc submerged in oil. Took all the fans out and it works like a charm, never reaching more than 40 degrees centigrade.

noncecents

Activity: 74

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:14:57 AM

I did a lot of research on this a while back.

You can actually buy mineral oil cooling rigs online.

The problem with cooling with oil is that oil doesn't absorb heat as readily as water or the cooling liquid specifically designed for PC cooling.

Also, it takes a very strong pump to circulate oil through a heat exchanger -- you can't just use a pump designed for water, or if you are able to the pump will have a very short useful life.

Next to cryogenic cooling, oil cooling is probably the most expensive and troublesome type of cooling you can use.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 07:36:54 AM

The problem with cooling with oil is that oil doesn't absorb heat as readily as water or the cooling liquid specifically designed for PC cooling.

True but nor does it need to. You keep the heatsinks on and you have a very much bigger surface ocntact than your typical waterblock.

Also, it takes a very strong pump to circulate oil through a heat exchanger -- you can't just use a pump designed for water, or if you are able to the pump will have a very short useful life.

OIl is thick, so you will need to buy a much stronger pump than you would think if it were water, but if anything, it may live forever. If you submerge the pump it will be well cooled and perfectly lubricated all the time. You also dont need a high flow rate.

desired_username

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 08:22:27 AM

True but nor does it need to. You keep the heatsinks on and you have a very much bigger surface ocntact than your typical waterblock.

OIl is thick, so you will need to buy a much stronger pump than you would think if it were water, but if anything, it may live forever. If you submerge the pump it will be well cooled and perfectly lubricated all the time. You also dont need a high flow rate.

I got very good results with a laing d5. It's not too expensive but very strong (50eur).
polarhei

Firing it up

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:31:37 PM

3.) It's expensive.

P.S

Smell can be problem but the property is almost same, perhaps the fat causes that. Additionally , Although the 3M solution is more expensive, no much maintenance needed keeping the same effects.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:41:15 PM

One word:

Messy

polarhei

Firing it up

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 05:27:57 AM

One word:

Messy

This depends what you have put in. If motherboard, then it can be quite messy. But not These miners as miners are trimmed being to speed up the harvest. If broken, then you can just replace a new ones.
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 04:29:51 PM

I don't get the whole oil thing. It's impossible to clean up when you remove it from the oil, so it destroys any resale value to $0. I'd rather not just throw away my money.

Vl4dim1r

Activity: 82

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2013, 09:10:16 AM

I have built a mineral oil submerged desktop before, and I can tell you one thing. Mineral oil is VERY leaky. I kept finding puddles of mineral oil on my desk until I realized that it was wicking up the wires and out of the tank. Also, if you can find a bulk supply at a vet's office then do that. It may sound weirder, but the looks are a lot less weird when you're buying  enough intestinal lubricant for a horse instead of 20-30 1-pint bottles for yourself...

Tips/Payments: 12DXk6FeU1JmKwCyCTJDdwUNKGV8hvZTep
Photon939

Activity: 452

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 05:35:03 PM

I have built a mineral oil submerged desktop before, and I can tell you one thing. Mineral oil is VERY leaky. I kept finding puddles of mineral oil on my desk until I realized that it was wicking up the wires and out of the tank. Also, if you can find a bulk supply at a vet's office then do that. It may sound weirder, but the looks are a lot less weird when you're buying  enough intestinal lubricant for a horse instead of 20-30 1-pint bottles for yourself...

Indeed, I have purchased several bottles at Walmart before to insulate some very high voltage transformers (upwards of 100KV). You can get some odd looks if you ask the pharmacy guy if they have more since they usually only keep like 2-3 bottles on the shelf and he sees you already carrying several bottles
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: