Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 06:23:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I pay my Traffic Tickets?  (Read 8080 times)
420 (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 10:10:13 PM

Welcome to the fucked up world we live in. 1984 is real my friend.

Nothing can be done about it  Cry

Other than taking away the funding

1984?  It's just a speeding ticket.

how could i live if i didn't pay they arrest me or just take away a license?

I just imagine the people who wouldn't have the money to pay; one ticket is half a day's drive away if you want to plead to the judge.

This is today's tyranny; yeah it's the light side compared to jailing drug users and tear gassing protestors and bystanders at the G20 protests

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 10:34:25 PM

Welcome to the fucked up world we live in. 1984 is real my friend.

Nothing can be done about it  Cry

Other than taking away the funding

1984?  It's just a speeding ticket.

Maybe to you.

This is just the tip of the ice burg.

To drive first you have to give over the right to your private property.. by registering you car with the state. It is not your car. Dont pay your taxes on it and watch them take it

Then you are mandated to buy private insurance so that you can drive it down the road. It is not your money you dont get to decide how to spend it. You get to spend it the way that the state mandates  

Then you are mandated to wear your seat belt. It is not your life you can not decide the risk you are willing to take

Then you have to get it inspected. I was an auto tech for 10 years and I cant make the decision if my vehicle is safe or not

Then you have to run mandated fuel through it with ethanol that destroys the fuel delivery system

The you have to follow arbitrary speed limits again you dont get to decide what is a safe.

There is nothing about it that is not dictated to you.

You dont even get to decide on the body style. You get the body style that the state mandates the manufactures to produce

cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 10:37:52 PM

You're right, it's a full blown tyranny.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
420 (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 10:43:12 PM

micro-managed tyranny; the state has long wished it could do what it has the ability to do now

sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 10:43:44 PM
Last edit: September 24, 2013, 03:39:53 AM by sublime5447

See the above post. It is absolutely tyranny. The definition of a tyrannical state is one in which every aspect of life is dictated. I cant think of one aspect of driving that is not dictated.

Just because you dont mind giving up freedom for safety or bowing to your overloads doesn't mean that the rest of us should have to take it in the ass.  
420 (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 11:15:32 PM

See the above post. It is absolutely tyranny. The definition of a tyrannical state is one in which every aspect of life is dictated. I cant think of one aspect of driving that is not dictated.

Just because you dont mind giving up freedom for safety or bowing to your overloads doesn't mean that they rest of us should have to take it in the ass. 

does anyone know a country where driving isn't nearly regulated this heavy?

01BTC10
VIP

Merit: 503

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 11:37:44 PM

Does speed really kill? Sometimes, yes, but when the speed limits are set artificially low, and enforcement is targeted to those areas where the limit is far below traffic speed, then all the speed kills campaign does is keep drivers complacent about paying fines that don't improve safety.

In this video, I investigate the culture and science surrounding speed enforcement in BC, coupled with my trademark Simpsons, Supertroopers, and Family Guy references.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw
420 (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 12:33:12 AM

Does speed really kill? Sometimes, yes, but when the speed limits are set artificially low, and enforcement is targeted to those areas where the limit is far below traffic speed, then all the speed kills campaign does is keep drivers complacent about paying fines that don't improve safety.

In this video, I investigate the culture and science surrounding speed enforcement in BC, coupled with my trademark Simpsons, Supertroopers, and Family Guy references.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw

that guy produced that video at the perfect time for that area of canada right

1million views in a week

cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 03:33:57 AM

Whatever you do don't tell the judge he can't be your judge because of conflict of interest with California.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
420 (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 03:41:05 AM

With my usual lack of charisma; here it is:

http://youtu.be/xXtGh3riZNg

What say you?

Maybe we could get a group of 12+ people; get a ticket in the same speed trap and burn our tickets in front of the courthouse in protest. Get a news crew of course.

surebet

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 05:12:15 AM

Care to give any details, like where you were, what kind of posted limit there was and what was your actual speed?
420 (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 06:07:48 AM

Care to give any details, like where you were, what kind of posted limit there was and what was your actual speed?

80 in a 65; mild traffic, central california

User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:41:08 AM

If it was a speed trap there are defenses you can use.  Grab a cal trans manual and look up the survey for that stretch of road.

MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:29:41 AM

Ah, I just pay em when I get em. I can't have the man messing with me.
surebet

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 11:33:05 AM

Why are you asking for 1300$ to cover a 146$ fine?
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 05:17:39 PM

You must not be from California.  It's called taxes.

420 (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 06:22:20 PM

Why are you asking for 1300$ to cover a 146$ fine?

I've payed $1,000+ in tickets this year

I said that was for entertainment value; if I received those I would have done the option the audience chooses; you choose my fate HAHA

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2013, 08:19:43 PM

At least this was actually legit speeding and, with posted speed limit signs around, you'd be at least somewhat aware of the consequences. Worst I had was in VA, where the speed limit for I95 is 75mph is some places, and the unposted law is that 80mph+ is automatically considered reckless driving. So, doing just 5mph over the speed limit, which is fairly common, instantly sets you up with threat of suspended license and jail time, or a $300 lawyer bill and reduced ticket. I got about 20 letters from lawyers even before I received the ticket itself in the mail. F'in racket.
420 (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:21:20 PM

At least this was actually legit speeding and, with posted speed limit signs around, you'd be at least somewhat aware of the consequences. Worst I had was in VA, where the speed limit for I95 is 75mph is some places, and the unposted law is that 80mph+ is automatically considered reckless driving. So, doing just 5mph over the speed limit, which is fairly common, instantly sets you up with threat of suspended license and jail time, or a $300 lawyer bill and reduced ticket. I got about 20 letters from lawyers even before I received the ticket itself in the mail. F'in racket.

Are you saying you were pulled over or a camera got you? then lawyers are somehow notified?

I was in a racket before as well.

I don't think fines should be moral; either you did something bad enough to be arrested and jail; or  you should be left alone

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2013, 09:08:19 PM

Are you saying you were pulled over or a camera got you? then lawyers are somehow notified?

I was pulled over, doing 82 in a 75, in the middle of the day, down a completely empty 2 lane highway in southern VA, middle of nowhere. Yeah, you're right, I got the ticket right away, but since it was reckless driving, it as the court summons that they mailed. For that charge you have to appear in court. Which was 5 hours south of my house. The lawyers jumped on me because all traffic tickets and such appear on VA's public website.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: