Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 06:51:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RAM-Reduction & Backup Center Testing (version 0.89.99.16)  (Read 41219 times)
picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 08:48:24 AM

The makefile was updated by goatpig to do a more-intelligent search for the python dependencies.  It's very possible that you may need to just branch that whole section if compiling on OSX/Darwin.

Yes.  It looks very complicated considering that Python normally knows where its stuff is (e.g. os.path.join(sys.prefix, "include/python2.7") for the include files).  On the other hand, Python can actually get confused and report the wrong place perhaps goatpig's script is more reliable.  When it comes to building an OSX app, it looks like I can quite easily use goatpig's makefile stuff to point to the Python installation inside the app, so that is one less complication.  Smiley

goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 01:25:23 PM

i tried this on XP Pro SP3 32-bit (with nothing else special installed), then installed the xp build from earlier in this thread.  still getting the same errors in logfile upon running:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ArmoryQt.py", line 21, in <module>
  File "psutil\__init__.pyc", line 85, in <module>
  File "psutil\_psmswindows.pyc", line 15, in <module>
  File "_psutil_mswindows.pyc", line 12, in <module>
  File "_psutil_mswindows.pyc", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.

did i miss another implied step somewhere in this?

Have you installed the MSVC9 redist from the link I gave? If you did, can you copy msvcp90.dll and put in your Armory installation folder? It's should be in Program Files/Visual Studio 9.0/VC/Redist/X86

Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 05:01:30 PM

i tried this on XP Pro SP3 32-bit (with nothing else special installed), then installed the xp build from earlier in this thread.  still getting the same errors in logfile upon running:

Have you installed the MSVC9 redist from the link I gave? If you did, can you copy msvcp90.dll and put in your Armory installation folder? It's should be in Program Files/Visual Studio 9.0/VC/Redist/X86

I am trying to get this running on XP 32bit as well. 

I found msvcp90.dll in another place ( I don't have a Program Files/Visual Studio 9.0/  dir. ).
I put it in the Armory folder and still get the same error message above as els.

Thanks for helping out with this... I think there may be others like him and me who want to use an old XP system for an offline wallet.

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 05:09:17 PM

I found msvcp90.dll in another place ( I don't have a Program Files/Visual Studio 9.0/  dir. ).
I put it in the Armory folder and still get the same error message above as els.

Thanks for helping out with this... I think there may be others like him and me who want to use an old XP system for an offline wallet.

It needs to be the msvcp90.dll from the package I linked. There are several versions of this DLL distributed by MS and py2exe only links against the one from that package. Regardless, I've concluded this path is too convoluted. I've found a simple way to build the entire project with msvc9/10 toolsets, that still support WinXP. I'll update the msvs projects once I'm back home, push them to my branch and have Alan build and distribute a test version with these. So this'll have to wait till Monday, sorry.

Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 05:40:39 PM

I found msvcp90.dll in another place ( I don't have a Program Files/Visual Studio 9.0/  dir. ).

It needs to be the msvcp90.dll from the package I linked. There are several versions of this DLL distributed by MS and py2exe only links against the one from that package. Regardless, I've concluded this path is too convoluted. I've found a simple way to build the entire project with msvc9/10 toolsets, that still support WinXP. I'll update the msvs projects once I'm back home, push them to my branch and have Alan build and distribute a test version with these. So this'll have to wait till Monday, sorry.

Judging by the time stamp displayed in the filemanager the msvcp90.dll I used was the one I installed just yesterday from that link you provided.

Looking forward to that new update you talk about above... I can wait til Monday. 

( Over the weekend I was going to install a version of linux in virtualbox and install armory in there... so maybe I can use that, for at least a temporary location for an offline wallet. I hope there are no security issues in doing something like that, as long as I don't allow networking. )

Thanks for your efforts.
els

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 10:44:24 PM

Are you referring to this?  If not, I've missed another link somewhere.

> Can you install this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en

> Then try again to run the last win_xp build Alan gave you.

Yes, I installed the above.  Can't find an instance of the .dll from it though....
Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 10:59:18 PM

> Can you install this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en

Yes, I installed the above.  Can't find an instance of the .dll from it though....

You'll have to use XP's search feature ( select Start, then Search, then "All files and folders", and then type in the name of the file... )
you will probably find a few different files of that name in different places.

Check the date to make sure you grab the one you just installed.  You might not have much luck getting it to work,
like me, but let us know how you do.

els

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 11:05:12 PM

You'll have to use XP's search feature ( select Start, then Search, then "All files and folders", and then type in the name of the file... )
you will probably find a few different files of that name in different places.

Check the date to make sure you grab the one you just installed.  You might not have much luck getting it to work,
like me, but let us know how you do.

thanks.  tried searching again, per above.  i do find a few, but attributable to other programs and not with current date.  i also am not finding the path Program Files/Visual Studio 9.0/ or anything like it, though i did reinstall the package to be sure there were no errors.  oh well.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 12:06:29 AM

Give me a couple days and I'll investigate to code in a WinXP environment. Just don't pull the plug yet!

Last but not least, I can port the atomic types and operations to WinAPI calls. That would let you compile in MSVS 2008/10 and would entirely go around the whole issue. This is the only part of the code that isn't backwards compatible with earlier compilers.

No offense to Dabs (sorry Dabs!), but I'm not convinced there's a reasonable cost-to-benefit ratio for this past a couple hours of work.  For every day that we spend on it, the number of potential XP users in the world shrinks by 2%...

EDIT:  To be clear, please take a shot at doing it.  I just don't want to spend a lot of resources working on it, because there's other priorities.   Well, assuming your priorities are aligned with mine Smiley

That increasingly shrinking proportion of XP users are increasingly going to be comprised of the people with (seemingly) no choice but XP; the poor (as well as those with poor opportunities to get hold of machines capable of running modern OS's, which are mostly still the economically poor). I know, I know, with a bit of work they could install a nice undemanding Linux distro that would be a much better all ways round, but that underestimates how protective the less computer savvy sort of individual would be over their only working PC. The extent to which such a machine, in a known working order, is valued by such a person perhaps cannot be overestimated; they might depend on it for a current system to receive foreign remittances, for instance.

I'd be very amused to hear of Nepalese or Zimbabwean Armory users making successful use of Armory on a 384 Mb 1Ghz XP machine! If they could even thrive with such a setup, then that would really be something. (has anyone ever tested it on Windows 2000?  Tongue)

Vires in numeris
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 12:12:44 AM

Ok sorry about the folder. I'm in front of a XP machine right now and can't really find the folder. Not my machine though as I'm not home, so I'm not gonna install anything on it. I've given up on the xp toolset and will iron out a msvc9 toolset build as I get back home.

I have personally run msvc9 toolset built code on Win2k. From what I've seen of the Armory source, I think there's a 2/3rd chance it could run on Win2k. I'm 99% positive I can get the current Armory code to run on XP. Just a matter of testing the build first hand.

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 06:08:45 PM

That increasingly shrinking proportion of XP users are increasingly going to be comprised of the people with (seemingly) no choice but XP; the poor (as well as those with poor opportunities to get hold of machines capable of running modern OS's, which are mostly still the economically poor). I know, I know, with a bit of work they could install a nice undemanding Linux distro that would be a much better all ways round, but that underestimates how protective the less computer savvy sort of individual would be over their only working PC. The extent to which such a machine, in a known working order, is valued by such a person perhaps cannot be overestimated; they might depend on it for a current system to receive foreign remittances, for instance.

I'd be very amused to hear of Nepalese or Zimbabwean Armory users making successful use of Armory on a 384 Mb 1Ghz XP machine! If they could even thrive with such a setup, then that would really be something. (has anyone ever tested it on Windows 2000?  Tongue)

To be clear, I have nothing against accommodating those OSes.  It's just a matter of priorities.  If we can support it, I'd be happy to, but I need to get some of the more critical usability issues out of the way, first.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 06:45:14 PM

I'd be very amused to hear of Nepalese or Zimbabwean Armory users making successful use of Armory on a 384 Mb 1Ghz XP machine! If they could even thrive with such a setup, then that would really be something. (has anyone ever tested it on Windows 2000?  Tongue)

To be clear, I have nothing against accommodating those OSes.  It's just a matter of priorities.  If we can support it, I'd be happy to, but I need to get some of the more critical usability issues out of the way, first.

Agreed. It makes no sense to concentrate any effort into backwards compatibility when the trend is that the very PC's I'm referring to will eventually die in the heat of a desert somewhere, and this notional hard-up Bitcoin user ends up with a cast off Vista machine in replacement. If it can be done for the low cost of an experienced developer's pre-existing comprehensive knowledge of compatibility of compiling, as is the case with goatpig, then it's good to have.

Vires in numeris
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 02:15:17 AM

To be clear, I have nothing against accommodating those OSes.  It's just a matter of priorities.  If we can support it, I'd be happy to, but I need to get some of the more critical usability issues out of the way, first.
your priority should be Mac at the moment...many users use the armory for mac and I myself have A LOT of bitcoin stuck in it...

I have to agree, I think Alan is spread a little too thin, doing so much cool stuff, while trying to make it multi-OS usable. That will never work, I think Alan should be trying to get a good build process that will be able to output windows, linux and Mac binaries. Until then development has to be paused otherwise it will always be a rat race with new developments and OS binaries.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 03:21:51 AM

Mac is definitely a high priority right now.  I also should put in an informational channel to communicate with users like "Armory does not yet work with OSX 10.9.  If you upgrade you may temporarily lose access to your Armory wallet". 

Things like Windows XP and obscure (err... less-popular) flavors of Linux will be lower priority for now.   Luckily, goatpig has helped out tremendously with Windows in general, so I'm down to just a couple bugs left (though one is going to be a pain to fix), and then OSX support.  I'm going to make it my mission to try to get picobit's OSX solution working before the end of the weekend.   We'll see where it goes from there.

It sounds like goatpig might have a decent XP solution, but I will leave it to those who really want it to try to get it working.  Too many other things for me to worry about right now.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 03:22:16 AM

your priority should be Mac at the moment...many users use the armory for mac and I myself have A LOT of bitcoin stuck in it...

If you have coins you can't access because of the Mac OS then just dual boot linux or run it in a virtual machine.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
els

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 06:03:24 AM

i've been doing testing in linux and windows, but as a mac user i am really excited to report that a pkg picobit was kind enough to share with me installed cleanly on both OS X 10.8 & 10.9.  on 10.9 i have a full blockchain so i can see the balance from a small test transaction in the wallet; no other testing as of yet.

i know there are issues to be worked out such as command line arguments not passing and needing to get a formal build process for this, but this is sweet even as it is.

thanks picobit!
HowlingMad

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 12:13:21 PM

Linux n00b and dangerous so .....

I am trying to compile from source on  Debian.  When I do "git clone testing" Debian craps out
 bob@debian:~/BitcoinArmory$ git clone testing
Cloning into testing...
warning: You appear to have cloned an empty repository.

I had already ran the original git command as noted in "Building Armory from source"
Thanks in advance.

Windows 10, R280x * 3
e4xit

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 12:32:43 PM

I am trying to compile from source on  Debian.  When I do "git clone testing" Debian craps out
Cloning into testing...

I had already ran the original git command as noted in "Building Armory from source"
Thanks in advance.

Disclaimer: I too am I Linux n00b, but here are the steps I used to compile (successfully) on Ubuntu:

Install dependencies:
Code:
sudo apt-get install git-core build-essential pyqt4-dev-tools swig libqtcore4 libqt4-dev python-qt4 python-dev python-twisted python-psutil libcrypto++-dev

Clone Armory Git:
Code:
git clone git://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory.git

Change to newly created directory of git repo:
Code:
cd ~/BitcoinArmory

Switch to the 'testing' branch:
Code:
git checkout testing

Change to folder which is home to a file which needs editing:
Code:
cd ~/BitcoinArmory/cppForSwig/leveldb/db/

Open the file which needs editing in a text editor:
Code:
gedit c.cc

// Comment out or delete line 18 (" #define strdup _strdup"), save and close c.cc

Switch back to the root directory:
Code:
cd ~/BitcoinArmory

Compile:
Code:
make

Run the program (you will have to run this command to open Armory each time you want to open it, make sure you have 'cd' into 'BitcoinArmory' directory first each time though!:
Code:
python ArmoryQt.py

Notes:
gedit is a simple text editor which is installed by default in Ubuntu, if this is different in Debian you might have to change the step "gedit c.cc" but IDK.

Also, I guess some of the packages/dependencies required (first line of code) might differ in Debian, but I think Debian & Ubuntu are pretty similar in that way.

Hope this helps.

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
HowlingMad

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 01:29:16 PM

Also, I guess some of the packages/dependencies required (first line of code) might differ in Debian, but I think Debian & Ubuntu are pretty similar in that way.
Thanks all of the instructions were exactly the same.  Armory is running now and I learned a couple new things.  Have a great day!

Windows 10, R280x * 3
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 03:41:22 PM

Cloning into testing...

Thanks in advance.

You want to checkout instead of clone for that part.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: