Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:29:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RAM-Reduction & Backup Center Testing (version 0.89.99.16)  (Read 41212 times)
els

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 03:58:16 AM

trying out the ArmorySetup-0.89.99.8-beta_win32 install on a virgin install of Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit (SP1 + all updates).

it installs fine, but when run it fails with logfile errors.   anybody know if the _win32 means it won't work with 64-bit, or perhaps if i am missing some prerequisite installs?  (i had an earlier testing version working on another instance of win7, where i get the same errors with this version).

logfile output:

(CRITICAL) armoryengine.pyc:1019 - C++ block utilities not available.
(CRITICAL) armoryengine.pyc:1020 -    Make sure that you have the SWIG-compiled modules
(CRITICAL) armoryengine.pyc:1021 -    in the current directory (or added to the PATH)
(CRITICAL) armoryengine.pyc:1022 -    Specifically, you need:
(CRITICAL) armoryengine.pyc:1023 -        CppBlockUtils.py     and
(CRITICAL) armoryengine.pyc:1027 -        _CppBlockUtils.pyd
(ERROR) Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ArmoryQt.py", line 30, in <module>
  File "armoryengine.pyc", line 1015, in <module>
  File "CppBlockUtils.pyc", line 26, in <module>
  File "CppBlockUtils.pyc", line 18, in swig_import_helper
  File "_CppBlockUtils.pyc", line 12, in <module>
  File "_CppBlockUtils.pyc", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

Error in sys.excepthook:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "armoryengine.pyc", line 595, in logexcept_override
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute '__excepthook__'

Original exception was:
  File "ArmoryQt.py", line 30, in <module>
  File "armoryengine.pyc", line 1015, in <module>

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:01:04 AM

is pthreadVC2.dll in the install folder?

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 04:03:24 AM

trying out the ArmorySetup-0.89.99.8-beta_win32 install on a virgin install of Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit (SP1 + all updates).

it installs fine, but when run it fails with logfile errors.   anybody know if the _win32 means it won't work with 64-bit, or perhaps if i am missing some prerequisite installs?  (i had an earlier testing version working on another instance of win7, where i get the same errors with this version).

The win32 means that it is built as a 32-bit application, but 64-bit windows can still run 32-bit applications.  So far, I think most people have been testing the 32-bit app on 64-bit (and I've been using it on my 64-bit Win7 VM).  If there's a problem, perhaps it has to do with installing different versions and jumping around.  I would recommend removing it via control panel, and then remove all C:\Program Files\Armory and C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory.  Then reinstall.  There may still be a problem with the installer not deleting/overwriting everything.

P.S. - Your wallets are not in those directories, so there's no risk of losing your wallets or settings when uninstalling or reinstalling Armory.  For reference, the wallets are in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Armory (do not delete that directory!).

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Rogue Star

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:15:18 AM

it installs fine, but when run it fails with logfile errors.   anybody know if the _win32 means it won't work with 64-bit, or perhaps if i am missing some prerequisite installs?  (i had an earlier testing version working on another instance of win7, where i get the same errors with this version).

The win32 means that it is built as a 32-bit application, but 64-bit windows can still run 32-bit applications.  So far, I think most people have been testing the 32-bit app on 64-bit (and I've been using it on my 64-bit Win7 VM).  If there's a problem, perhaps it has to do with installing different versions and jumping around.  I would recommend removing it via control panel, and then remove all C:\Program Files\Armory and C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory.  Then reinstall.  There may still be a problem with the installer not deleting/overwriting everything.
this is the same problem i reported to you by email a few weeks ago. i haven't been able to get it working since. i've tried uninstalling and removing the obvious files like the folder in Program Files and AppData\Roaming Data, but no dice. unfortunately I don't have any VM snapshots without Armory installed. i'm currently using the standalone edition (0.89.99.3) as a workaround since it still works just fine.

you can donate to me for whatever reason at: 18xbnjDDXxgcvRzv5k2vmrKQHWDjYsBDCf
els

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:34:31 AM

it installs fine, but when run it fails with logfile errors....

The win32 means that it is built as a 32-bit application, but 64-bit windows can still run 32-bit applications.  So far, I think most people have been testing the 32-bit app on 64-bit (and I've been using it on my 64-bit Win7 VM).  If there's a problem, perhaps it has to do with installing different versions and jumping around.  I would recommend removing it via control panel, and then remove all C:\Program Files\Armory and C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory.  Then reinstall.  There may still be a problem with the installer not deleting/overwriting everything.

as i was having trouble with this in a win7 instance where i had a prior Armory install, i made the above referenced attempt in a completely new instance of win7 will all updates and nothing else installed.  (it is a VM on a Mac, not a native install).
els

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:41:18 AM

is pthreadVC2.dll in the install folder?

yes, it is...i am assuming the question is regarding the prior post:

"trying out the ArmorySetup-0.89.99.8-beta_win32 install on a virgin install of Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit (SP1 + all updates). it installs fine, but when run it fails with logfile errors. "

e4xit

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 09:18:01 AM

etotheipi (or anyone else),

1. Is it possible to restore the m of n backups using version 0.88.1? As this is the version I have on my (offline) netbook and it defeats the purpose of it being offline if I have to restore to an online machine, kind of...

2. Conversely, and this is a little long winded, but would I be able to install 0.89.99.8/9 onto (an offline) Ubuntu 10.04? Would I simply have to download:
Code:
git-core build-essential pyqt4-dev-tools swig libqtcore4 libqt4-dev python-qt4 python-dev python-twisted python-psutil libcrypto++-dev
as .deb packages, transfer them accross to the netbook and install them on-by-one.

Then also copy accross the cloned Armory git, and make and run as I have been doing on Ubuntu 13.10? Or is there something about this which would not work?

Then I could create m of n wallets on my network-neutered machine, and also be able to restore to them directly from there... But I am only speculating about this with my basic understanding of it all....

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
e4xit

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 10:56:55 AM

Etotheipi, this may come as no surprise seeing as it runs perfectly on ubuntu 13.10, but 0.89.99.8 is running perfectly (in offline mode) on a low-powered Intel Atom EeePC netbook running Lubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander).

Tested the backup center (various backup types, including the m-of-n GUI) and signing transactions, which all seems to work.

If anyone is wondering, the combination of lightweight Ubuntu and the Eee PC running Armory is ideal.

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
els

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 08:00:10 PM

If anyone is wondering, the combination of lightweight Ubuntu and the Eee PC running Armory is ideal.

absolutely!  any currently available models to recommend?  best i've found to-date is ASUS 1015E-DS03 going for about $230.  ships with Ubuntu not windows so you save a little.  this is not optimal (could be smaller w/fewer features, has spinning disk...) but is decent for this application.
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 08:58:30 PM

WinXP users: better late than never!

Note: this is my build (goatpig), not an official ATI (Armory Technologies Inc.) build. I'm offering this build to willing WinXp testers in order to iron out the WinXP building process.

This file is a rar archive containing compiled binaries that hopefully will run in WinXP. Succeeding to start Armory in offline mode is enough to confirm the binaries are WinXP compatible. Use it online at your own risk!

https://mega.co.nz/#!xQIgyIwT!LixQalxUuStJhNUYao217WVVRY0bjNuxMxUzliuUIAk

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 09:13:17 PM

etotheipi (or anyone else),

1. Is it possible to restore the m of n backups using version 0.88.1? As this is the version I have on my (offline) netbook and it defeats the purpose of it being offline if I have to restore to an online machine, kind of...

2. Conversely, and this is a little long winded, but would I be able to install 0.89.99.8/9 onto (an offline) Ubuntu 10.04? Would I simply have to download:
Code:
git-core build-essential pyqt4-dev-tools swig libqtcore4 libqt4-dev python-qt4 python-dev python-twisted python-psutil libcrypto++-dev
as .deb packages, transfer them accross to the netbook and install them on-by-one.

Then also copy accross the cloned Armory git, and make and run as I have been doing on Ubuntu 13.10? Or is there something about this which would not work?

Then I could create m of n wallets on my network-neutered machine, and also be able to restore to them directly from there... But I am only speculating about this with my basic understanding of it all....

If you've already installed an offline bundle on your offline machine, it already has all the dependencies needed to run the new version (though, occasionally new dependencies crop up in new versions, but I don't think that happened for this update).  Given that, you should be able to checkout the repo and build it on an online computer, then take the built directory to the offline computer and run it there.  As long as it has been built already,  and dependencies installed, you're good. 

The offline bundle has all the dependencies needed for 10.04.  However, it doesn't have the dependencies for building the package, which is a bit more work.  Technically, you can use synaptic on the offline machine to generate and offline download script, but that's a bit of work.  I don't recommend it unless you're patient.

No, you can't recover the fragmented backups in 0.88.1.  Ultimately, you'll have to switch to the new version for the offline computer.  However, I added a backup-testing window, which should help calm any nerves about trusting new technology Smiley

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 11:07:27 PM

WinXP users: better late than never!

Note: this is my build (goatpig), not an official ATI (Armory Technologies Inc.) build. I'm offering this build to willing WinXp testers in order to iron out the WinXP building process.

This file is a rar archive containing compiled binaries that hopefully will run in WinXP. Succeeding to start Armory in offline mode is enough to confirm the binaries are WinXP compatible. Use it online at your own risk!

https://mega.co.nz/#!xQIgyIwT!LixQalxUuStJhNUYao217WVVRY0bjNuxMxUzliuUIAk

Doesn't work for me.  Still the same error messages in the log as before:

File "ArmoryQt.py", line 21, in <module>
  File "psutil\__init__.pyc", line 85, in <module>
  File "psutil\_psmswindows.pyc", line 15, in <module>
  File "_psutil_mswindows.pyc", line 12, in <module>
  File "_psutil_mswindows.pyc", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 11:57:41 PM

WinXP users: second attempt =O

Same disclaimer as before: this is my build (goatpig), not ATI's. Use at your own risk. Just getting Armory to start in offline mode is enough to confirm the build is WinXP compatible.

https://mega.co.nz/#!xQwT0TRD!FgRbBD6vPAaoZulqHqe5qByy1d4sgRpqjmrShEKCZCU

Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 01:21:57 AM

Same disclaimer as before: this is my build (goatpig), not ATI's. Use at your own risk. Just getting Armory to start in offline mode is enough to confirm the build is WinXP compatible.

No change. Same error message.
els

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 04:42:40 AM

No change. Same error message.

i also get the same errors
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 06:11:13 AM

Someone just reported a problem with "Too many open files" when running on Ubuntu 12.04, 32-bit.  This is only printed to the terminal, though, so it doesn't show up in any log files.  Its symptoms are all sorts of weird behavior on your system, outside of Armory.

He ran "cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max" and it returned a number around 700k.  On my 64-bit system it returns 3.2M.  I wouldn't expect that to be exhausted from our "little" blockchain database, but I guess it is (bitcoin-qt/bitcoind is also running a leveldb database, as well...).  I also found mention of systems with large databases running out of files.

The solution (still being tested)

(1) Reboot.  You're kind of hosed once you get to here
(2) Remove the database which probably go corrupted "rm -rf ~/.armory/databases"
(3) Increase the number of files:  "sudo sysctl -w fs.file-max=5000000"
(4) Restart Armory

If this works, you can make it permanent on reboot by appending the following line to /etc/sysctl.conf

Code:
fs.file-max = 5000000

Hopefully that helps.  Though it does concern me that this is even a problem...

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:58:57 PM

Hopefully that helps.  Though it does concern me that this is even a problem...

I've had to increase this on a number of ubuntu systems for various reasons, I think it's just set way too low for non-desktop work.  So don't worry.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
pvz

Activity: 53

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 09:31:30 PM

Someone just reported a problem with "Too many open files" when running on Ubuntu 12.04, 32-bit

Solution above did not do the trick.

During parsing blockchain files the number of unclosed files increase.
Running the command below gives me a higher number during (re)building:
Code:
lsof | grep python | wc -l

The code and (possible) solution is mentioned on:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16386678/too-many-open-files-python-multiprocess-tcp-server
Mentioned solution: "The problem solved. File descriptor assotiated with socket must be manually closed. os.close(fd)"

Hopefully you can reproduce this, or maybe it is only a problem in Ubuntu 12.04, 32-bit.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 12:03:03 AM

Update:  0.89.99.10-testing

Windows 0.89.99.10-testing:  Download the NSIS installer
Ubuntu 0.89.99.10-testing:  checkout and build "testing" branch (see instruction in first post)
Mac/OSX 0.89.99.10-testing:  Download the ArmoryQt.app for OSX

What's new:

• (1) For my life, I cannot figure out the orphan chain bug.  It is very complicated to debug even with the tools I've got right now.  Instead, I work around it by detecting it and rebuilding the databases when it happens.  This won't solve it for everyone, but it does happen most often if a build/update is interrupted, so perhaps it won't be an issue if you're nice to Armory Smiley  For now, I don't see another way that gets me to a release in the near future.
  • (2) Thanks to CircusPeanut, this version of Armory detects non-standard signature padding and corrects it before broadcasting!  If you had trouble broadcasting transactions from an offline computer runnning an old version of Armory, updating the online computer to this version will allow your offline tx to work again!
  • (3) Goatpig helped update the "bitcoin:" URI-handling in both Linux and Windows.  I have no idea if it works:  try it!  (both with Armory open, and without)
  • (4) Added three new items to the "Help" menu:
        "Clear Unconfirmed Transactions" (mempoool.bin)
        "Rescan Databases"
        "Rebuild and Rescan Databases"
    All three operations require restarting Armory, and signal to it by touching a file in the ARMORY_HOME_DIR -- meaning you can do it yourself externally.  You can simply touch "clearmempool.txt", 'rebuild.txt' or "rescan.txt".  The file will trigger the appropriate behave and then be deleted so it doesn't trigger on the next load.
  • (5) Added a popup to warn users about sending money to their Armory wallet without ever getting online first.  This should prevent users dumping money in before they realize that it doesn't work on their system.
  • (6) Fixed the "memory pool file is corrupt" messages on Windows.  It should now successfully save zero-conf transactions between loads.
  • (7) If a rebuild operation is interrupted, Armory usually picks up where it left off when it restarted... but the meter would reset to 0% giving the user the impression it is starting from scratch.  That has been fixed.

News on OSX:

The OSX recipe prepared by picobit that i used to compile the OSX testing version, appears to be pretty unreliable on some systems, with lots of crashing.  It appears that, with enough effort, you can eventually get out of Armory what you need, but will likely involve lots of restarting and rescanning.  

The good news is that it appears this is a known problem affecting the combo of PyQt4 & OSX 10.9.  Not sure when there will be a fix, but even without fixed PyQt4 binaries, I might be able to work around it (it has to do with nested modal dialogs).  Therefore, I suspect the issue is not picobit's recipe -- even if I rebuilt higuys' package for 10.9, it would likely still be unreliable.

Message Signing!
Almost... should be in the next testing version.  I hadn't planned on including it in this release, but getting this release out has taken so long that it gave me time to delegate that integration to CircusPeanut.  Will include a Bitcoin-Qt compatible version, as well as an Armory-specific version that is based on RFC2440, so I'm hoping that others will feel inspired to support it (it's makes much more sense than the bare signatures).

els

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 12:24:29 AM

Update:  0.89.99.10-testing

Windows 0.89.99.10-testing:  Download the NSIS installer
as with the .8 version, i get errors trying to run on a fresh install of win 7 home premium w/sp1 and all updates.  (nothing else installed at all).  this is a VM (which shouldn't matter, but who knows).

anybody know if there is something else i must install first (as perhaps implied by the logfile errors below)?

(CRITICAL) armoryengine.pyc:1041 - C++ block utilities not available.
(CRITICAL) armoryengine.pyc:1042 -    Make sure that you have the SWIG-compiled modules
(CRITICAL) armoryengine.pyc:1043 -    in the current directory (or added to the PATH)
(CRITICAL) armoryengine.pyc:1044 -    Specifically, you need:
(CRITICAL) armoryengine.pyc:1045 -        CppBlockUtils.py     and
(CRITICAL) armoryengine.pyc:1049 -        _CppBlockUtils.pyd
(ERROR) Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ArmoryQt.py", line 31, in <module>
  File "armoryengine.pyc", line 1037, in <module>

Error in sys.excepthook:
  File "armoryengine.pyc", line 617, in logexcept_override
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute '__excepthook__'

Original exception was:
  File "ArmoryQt.py", line 31, in <module>
  File "armoryengine.pyc", line 1037, in <module>
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: