Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 08:16:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Money vs Barter  (Read 1841 times)
dragoz11

Activity: 420
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 04:16:10 PM

this is why the system has changed because of this usefulness gaps, but you have a good point of view and if we were in barter mode still, would we use banks and would we have needed them in first case ?
limek

Activity: 364
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 04:46:32 PM

This is a revolution. People will go for the better way to achieve something they want. But, Barter is still being used though. Just we sometime never notice it.
breathlessz

Activity: 770
Merit: 12

Trphy.io

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 05:08:59 PM

I think your example cant for barter, because it doesnt need each other, so appear something is called money for transactions. and now because of the technology development was created cryptocurrency

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 06:13:21 PM

If barter became the dominant medium of exchange that would be taxed too, indeed it is in many a place. It doesn't matter if no money changed hands, the tax man still attributes a value to the transaction and wants his cut.
Canis Majoris

Activity: 126
Merit: 59

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 08:33:52 PM

If barter became the dominant medium of exchange that would be taxed too, indeed it is in many a place. It doesn't matter if no money changed hands, the tax man still attributes a value to the transaction and wants his cut.

It may not work in practice as good as you may think. For instance, what if someone wants to exchange a live cow for two live sheep, how are the taxes to be determined and collected in that case? Should the tax collector cut out a pound of flesh from the cow and two pounds from the sheep? Also, why should there be a need to tax transactions in the first place? Are such transactions taxed now?
dado7

Activity: 322
Merit: 141

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 09:59:56 PM

Money is one of the important concepts, This section talks about money from the perspective of microeconomics.when people exchange goods and services without using money, this is called barter. "I'll cook dinner if you'll do the dishes" is an example of barter. Imagine an economy in wich i can sell services as a consultant to banks, but what i want is to buy a new suit. the clothing store that sell suits does not have any use for my services as a banking consultant. i sell consulting services for money, and i buy a suit using money. money serves as a medium of exchange. the bank does not sell suits. how can barter work?

Barter was replaced by money a long time ago for the reasons you already described. So why the question? Has some political party, society or movement brought that up - the incentive to return to the barter system?

jeanpadel14

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 10:04:59 PM

The primary difference between barter and currency systems is that a currency system uses an agreed-upon form of paper or coin money as an exchange system rather than directly trading goods and services through bartering. Both systems have advantages and disadvantages, although currency systems are more widely used in modern economies.
Since the beginning of known history, humans have directly exchanged goods and services with one another in a trading system called bartering. Traditionally, bartering systems were used within the local community, but advances in technology and transportation make it possible for modern society to barter on a global level.

▶▶  [ WHITEPAPER ]  ◀◀            i v y            ▶▶  [ JOIN US NOW! ]  ◀◀
Ivy Disrupts The US$5 Trillion Per Day Money Transfer Market
TELEGRAM     ●    FACEBOOK    ●     TWITTER     ●    YOUTUBE    ●     LINKEDIN
readygoaw

Activity: 476
Merit: 105

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 07:27:15 PM

Money is one of the important concepts, This section talks about money from the perspective of microeconomics.when people exchange goods and services without using money, this is called barter. "I'll cook dinner if you'll do the dishes" is an example of barter. Imagine an economy in wich i can sell services as a consultant to banks, but what i want is to buy a new suit. the clothing store that sell suits does not have any use for my services as a banking consultant. i sell consulting services for money, and i buy a suit using money. money serves as a medium of exchange. the bank does not sell suits. how can barter work?

I like barter, but it is difficult to find someone who will need your services in exchange for his services. With money it's much easier to purchase everything you need.
Umar001

Activity: 308
Merit: 14

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 07:43:07 PM

Money is far better than barter, with money you can easily go for  what  you want, but with barter you have the problem of double coesident of want.
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 07:55:52 PM

When people found a new way of doing things, that is when they then realize that the old way is absurd and life threatening situations. When Pentium systems started being produced, you can switch on your system and sleep to then wake up hoping that it would have fully loaded for you to use but today personal computers are being produced that won't even need to load for you to use.

The question is how did Barter worked when it did and not how can it work when it already faded out. During the time of barter, people don't bother about all of this complexities all they do is either till the ground, fish or hunt these 3 basic things that people engage in makes it easier to exchange your goods or services without issue. But with the industrial revolutions and several development that change our way of life which make several jobs show forth, makes barter an outdated practice and the need to find a lasting solution which gave birth to money.
Md.Sufian

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 08:30:58 PM

Although money and exchange are different, there are many similarities between them. Which is a top complement. Because money is not exchangeable.
Canis Majoris

Activity: 126
Merit: 59

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 08:44:59 PM

The question is how did Barter worked when it did and not how can it work when it already faded out. During the time of barter, people don't bother about all of this complexities all they do is either till the ground, fish or hunt these 3 basic things that people engage in makes it easier to exchange your goods or services without issue. But with the industrial revolutions and several development that change our way of life which make several jobs show forth, makes barter an outdated practice and the need to find a lasting solution which gave birth to money.

It is not only about making it easier to exchange goods or services, though it is definitely so without doubt. In the days of direct exchange, you and your family or your tribe could well exist completely on their own without any exchange of goods at all because in those backward times you exchanged only things that were in surplus. Money came about when the division of labor had started to emerge and exchanging goods had become a vital necessity, when you started to produce goods which cannot keep you going on their own and you had to exchange them just to survive.
CASTIEL05

Activity: 560
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 10:13:06 PM

Barter is the first medium of exchange happened in our history since money was not invented during ancient era. Money was firstly used in Mesopotamia. In the history, money is not like our money as of now. The value of money depends upon the weight of a gold, silver or bronze. But before they ancient people used money, they live in a system of barter change where goods were traded in another goods around the world.
Barter change worked during old times since they did not have any valued things to be a medium of exchange.

qwirtiii

Activity: 210
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 09:12:01 AM

Well ,I think that's why we more than need money than barter. We all know that Money is all we need.
 Sometimes, We need to think that's better for us. When we're bartering we do not even want to equate ourselves And it is not appropriate for the thing we want.

Money to stay for all of us to be equal.
spongegar

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 09:18:16 AM

Barter works well for the people who are willing to exchange for things that you have. If they are not willing, find someone who is, exchange it for something else and offer that for what you want. But the problem with barter is that it is not universal and it is not constant. One might percieve that what you're offering isn't of value much like offering a heater in the middle of the desert. Money makes ir possible to directly exchange it for something else.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬ |  𝗘𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲𝘂𝗺 𝗖𝗹𝗮𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗰 𝗩𝗶𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻    ▬▬  ▬▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬
▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬ Hard fork Ethereum  ▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬  11.1.19  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ANN  ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬ All Ethereum holders will receive 3 ETCV ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  Telegram  ▬▬▬▬▬  Twitter  ▬▬▬▬  White Paper  ▬▬▬ ▬▬
Theb

Activity: 1680
Merit: 655

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 09:41:29 AM

A lot of people here think that the Barter System does not exist anymore because of what they are calling "Coincidence of Wants", well let me prove you wrong because if you look at it money cannot buy everything. Some examples I see on how barter system still exist is in the area of politics where a government is selling their publicly owned companies to private corporations, mainly it doesn't revolve around the selling price but the promise of continuation and better service that only a private corporation can handle. That is why we are seeing transportations, jails, and government projects being handled by corporations in exchange for a better service they can provide compared to the government handling it. Yes is still involves money but the government wouldn't sell it in the first place if they don't have the capacity to handle its operations.

In the small scale one of the commonly most traded things are shoes from sneakerheads. You will see here is that people are trying to trade their Jordans in exchange of another pair of shoes, some will include cash, some will straight trade it shoe to shoe. So you see both large scale and small scale the barter system still works you just need to have a match or agreement with the other party.

..bustadice..         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
......Play......
dado7

Merit: 141

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 09:42:27 AM

Well, you have an actual good example of problems with barter system in foreign exchange.
One country can always produce some things and has to import others. You will notice, however, that there are many examples of countries that need a good but have nothing but money to offer in return.

Gas is a nice example. In Eastern Europe, most of the natural gas is imported from Ukraine and Russia. You need it, and you have to buy it, however, although you can make some export to Ukraine and Russia, you simply cannot balance it out with your needs for natural gas as one exceeds the other by far.

LKing

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 09:52:38 AM

Money system works great. It's bartering, but working through a common medium of exchange. Bartering becomes too unwieldy on the large scale.
uberua

Activity: 179

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 10:12:43 AM

Money is a universal means of payment for goods. Barter trade is appropriate if both people are interested in each other's goods or services. For example, in the advertising business this type of exchange is very common
bajingluncat

Activity: 406
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 10:22:13 AM

I think for now in this era of barter system is difficult to apply, because as you say everyone has different needs, to get it then created money to simplify the transaction and to become a reference or benchmark price, but sometimes the difference of currency complicate it then I hope kedepanya crypto money can be a single money so that the transaction will be easy wherever we are

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: