Bitcoin Forum
July 20, 2024, 02:32:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Money vs Barter  (Read 1846 times)
berrieswithwine

Activity: 36
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 10:23:26 AM

No, at least not according to David Graeber

"The author claims that debt and credit historically appeared before money, which itself appeared before barter. This is the opposite of the narrative given in standard economics texts dating back to Adam Smith. To support this, he cites numerous historical, ethnographic and archaeological studies. He also claims that the standard economics texts cite no evidence for suggesting that money came before barter, credit and debt, and he has seen no credible reports suggesting such."
Edward Finney

Activity: 67
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 10:27:10 AM

Money is one of the important concepts, This section talks about money from the perspective of microeconomics.when people exchange goods and services without using money, this is called barter. "I'll cook dinner if you'll do the dishes" is an example of barter. Imagine an economy in wich i can sell services as a consultant to banks, but what i want is to buy a new suit. the clothing store that sell suits does not have any use for my services as a banking consultant. i sell consulting services for money, and i buy a suit using money. money serves as a medium of exchange. the bank does not sell suits. how can barter work?

I think this is one of the biggest potential use cases for crypto, the barter economy. Once lightning, plasma, sharding, raiden and all of the other scaling solutions are implemented resource sharing like what Filecoin are trying to do will become allot more common place and I can see a future where I will trade some cpu power for maybe some extra file storage space.
victorski

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 10:33:43 AM

Barter definately have its advantages, but anyway having money, electronic or crypto especially, is way more practicaly and comfortably
evdoksi

Activity: 100
Merit: 24

GPTCash Weekly Airdrop: https://discord.gg/DPgHv6X

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 10:51:08 AM

Money is one of the important concepts, This section talks about money from the perspective of microeconomics.when people exchange goods and services without using money, this is called barter. "I'll cook dinner if you'll do the dishes" is an example of barter. Imagine an economy in wich i can sell services as a consultant to banks, but what i want is to buy a new suit. the clothing store that sell suits does not have any use for my services as a banking consultant. i sell consulting services for money, and i buy a suit using money. money serves as a medium of exchange. the bank does not sell suits. how can barter work?

People had survived with barter system so it is possible. I do not think it would be as convenient as current system , perhaps that is why it evolved.
Yacov

Activity: 20

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 11:38:03 AM

before money first money was created (shells, ceasalt) people used only barter ways to gain what they want. Well, seems like it didnt work out well.
reverseflash

Activity: 518
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 07:39:06 PM

People had survived with barter system so it is possible. I do not think it would be as convenient as current system , perhaps that is why it evolved.
Barter was relevant until the objects used in use was at least. At complication of any sphere barter becomes almost impossible. For this reason money has been thought up.
budz0425

Activity: 504
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 07:52:42 PM

before money first money was created (shells, ceasalt) people used only barter ways to gain what they want. Well, seems like it didnt work out well.
During barter  system, there are lot of problem that they have encountered, that is why they are thankful when money was created that they can finally evaluate or measure properly the value of the thing that they are buying/selling, soon, it won't be impossible if crypto will replace fiat too.
Nichao

Activity: 99

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 07:58:02 PM

barter is cool when both sides need the thing, but money/crypto is much more often needed)
Elseye

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

ApolloX

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 08:00:35 PM

I don't actually think that we need "VS" here because money = barter actually.

FreeOxen

Activity: 94

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 08:07:30 PM

True to an extent money is still barter, you just replaced the good that you exchanged with.
Ayaah

Activity: 140

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 08:12:35 PM

money is the new generation of barter. it is of the same process but it’s just using money as the mode of exchange.
Lakash

Activity: 63

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 08:18:27 PM

Barter is the old school way of purchasing goods. Using another goods to purchase goods. Barter is still exsistent as of now. There are still people using barter and will still be exsistent in coming years. Money, it is used as a mode of payment.
shaadsufi

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 09:05:11 PM

The primary difference between barter and currency systems is that a currency system uses an agreed-upon form of paper or coin money as an exchange system rather than directly trading goods and services through bartering. The main advantage of money over barter is that money is always going to be usable.  Barter is very often not possible.  This is because of the need for what is called a “coincidence of wants” (sometimes called a “double coincidence of wants”). Think about how barter works.  You have to trade something you have for something you want.  The problem with that is that the other person also has to want the thing that you have.  This is the coincidence of wants.
yugyug

Activity: 616
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 09:56:44 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2018, 10:15:34 PM by yugyug

In ancient economics when money is not  the main form of exchange barter is the main trading practice. Barter trades are still applicable to some remote areas for instance, person A wants to barter his 1 whole chicken to a 3 dozens of eggs from a person B. Money or fiat was established as a medium of exchange as replacement for weighing standards of precious stones like silver where it was used as medium of exchange in ancient trading for barters as you have noticed most currency names are derived from units of weights like the UK - pound, Spanish- peso(weight) Turkish - lira(latin word of pound) .
Chrystora123

Activity: 1414
Merit: 228

Omicron is another FUD

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 10:16:40 PM

before money is used our trading system we using a barter...then used gold and silver to make it more simple than barter,
because the thought is too complicated then the decision maker in every country made the money and its exchange rate,
so money is an update of barter...

criz2fer

Activity: 672
Merit: 127

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 10:16:50 PM

With a common commodity, money serves as every once need thats the reason why fiat was produce, to sell or exchange of services.

Komobit

Activity: 161
Merit: 8

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2018, 10:45:30 PM

There is a project called 0x (zero ex) that is trying to help barter units (units of money, cripto or stocks) for goods (those goods will have their own value too) or goods for goods.

Is something like this happen probably money itself wont be that necessary in the economie since the scale of this barter system will be huge.
SaiWAFU

Activity: 193
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 11:04:20 PM

that's why people back on the day quickly adopts to monetary system. Gold, silver, and other precious metal and gems became a standard currecny in the market.

The good thing I see about it is that most people offers the best services or products because it serves as their medium for exchange.
redcucumber

Activity: 153
Merit: 14

SOLARIS COIN

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 11:18:44 PM

I agree with the comments of our other co forum members, what if the later wants a different product you must prepared a different variety of goods to get ready for your trade and how are things gonna be If the products you are trading will get spoil example meat or other goods that can make the trade not successful if the later is gonna receive a unusable goods that is eliminated in the use of money because it is something universally ready because of its acceptance all over the place its called legal tender.

darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1353

Don't let others control your BTC -> self custody

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 11:33:44 PM

I don't actually think that we need "VS" here because money = barter actually.

I always thought that barter cannot involve money. It's an exchange of goods and services directly into other goods and services. If you add money to the mix it's no longer barter because money isn't goods or services, it's a tool that allows us to price them.

The primary difference between barter and currency systems is that a currency system uses an agreed-upon form of paper or coin money as an exchange system rather than directly trading goods and services through bartering. The main advantage of money over barter is that money is always going to be usable.  Barter is very often not possible.  This is because of the need for what is called a “coincidence of wants” (sometimes called a “double coincidence of wants”). Think about how barter works.  You have to trade something you have for something you want.  The problem with that is that the other person also has to want the thing that you have.  This is the coincidence of wants.

That's correct. This system makes selling things for profit much harder. You have to be aware of the value of various items. Barter makes every single person into a pawn shop owner that's able to correctly price items of various origin, state, dating, and so on.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████████████████████████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███