Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:36:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: OLPC XO laptop  (Read 6341 times)
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 28, 2011, 04:19:54 AM

Ever heard of the One Laptop Per Child (http://one.laptop.org/) initiative? Well, once upon a time I did some work for them and got my hands on a few hardware test samples used to develop some software.

I'm now selling these for bitcoins, if anyone is interested. I'll start with the oldest one, hardware version B2-1 (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_B2). I will recharge the battery to make sure it still has enough juice in it, and will  install the latest supported firmware and operating system build.

I'll also clean it up and take some pictures if there is some real interest in buying it. No base price, no reserve but also no obligation to sell Smiley This is not an auction, it's a 'make me an offer' thread.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 28, 2011, 04:44:27 AM

I considered buying one of these for my kids when they were new.  Could it run a bitcoin client.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2011, 04:59:07 AM

I considered buying one of these for my kids when they were new.  Could it run a bitcoin client.

I don't see why not. This particular hardware revision is somewhat constrained in memory, but I'm sure at least the bitcoind variant it will have no trouble handling. It runs quake, so... Smiley

My kids had a blast with these for a while, but these little machines and the sugar interface are not made to match PC / windoze users expectancies, so they grew tired. I'm a hacker by heart and trade (the good sense of hacker, mind you), so these machines served as photo frames, audio distribution clients, icecast servers, test servers, etc. But the really amazing thing about these is the screen, as it is both a normal backlit color lcd screen but also, if you turn brightness fully down, a reflective high resolution grayscale screen, perfect for outdoor usage in direct sunlight and great for ebook reading (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Display#Understanding_the_display_system).

And the cherry on top is twofold; mesh network (which you won't be using unless you have the right adapter or multiple XO's) and very low power consumption (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_power_draw). It was very well designed, too bad politics moved this whole thing into the wrong direction, imho.
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2011, 02:38:15 AM

An update on running bitcoin in these laptops; you can't (easily) with B2 hardware, not without doing your own firmware. The latest supported build is based on fedora 7 which doesn't have the needed libs up to date to run bitcoin.

However I have it running on another XO, this time a B4 revision (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_B4) and with the caveat that you need the .bitcoin dir to live out of the system flash, due to some issues with mmap and jffs2, and if you ignore the fact the screen is too small for the GUI (you can't see the number of blocks), it does run perfect there.

In fact, deploying a 'Bitcoin Activity' (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities)should be pretty straightforward... A little python, a little gtk... hmmm. Anyway, I diverge. I could not upload pictures because the upload folder for the forum is apparently full, any good anonymous photo sharing site you know of?

I am now selling both the B2 and the B4, if anyone is interested. I have not yet received a single offer.
Anonymous

January 29, 2011, 03:21:00 AM

How does 60 BTC sound for the B2?
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2011, 03:41:16 AM

How does 60 BTC sound for the B2?

Well, it is the best offer so far Wink Remember you are in the States (or so I assume) and I'm in Europe, so I'll be paying some $33 (75 BTC) for shipping, which I obviously can't cover based on your offer.

FYI, for Europe I'll pay ~$15, or 34 BTC, if anyone on this side of the pond wants to make an offer too.
Anonymous

January 29, 2011, 03:45:21 AM

Hm, I see. Well, my final offer is 125 BTC. Spare me a day or two to collect the BTC. ; )
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2011, 03:59:13 AM

Hm, I see. Well, my final offer is 125 BTC. Spare me a day or two to collect the BTC. ; )

As you may imagine, the offer is not so attractive I'll immediately close the deal, so take your time, collect those precious coins. I understand shipping is quite high, but it is the cheapest I could find, and I'm not even sending it registered, which is probably wise to do.

Also, I don't know how customs works for the US, but if it was the other way around I'd expect some taxes collected on arrival, just saying.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2011, 05:41:22 AM

Also, I don't know how customs works for the US, but if it was the other way around I'd expect some taxes collected on arrival, just saying.

Just put "child's toy, gift" on the customs declaration.  That's how most of the stuff I order from China manages to get to me without customs duty.  Grin

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2011, 12:26:04 AM

Do I hear 150 back there? That lady in the red dress behind the funny looking penguin with a super hero cape? No?

Ok, 125 going once...
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2011, 01:01:41 AM

how about 127, including delivery within europe?

Thanks.

You lead with that offer. 127 for the B2 shipped within Europe.
Anonymous

February 01, 2011, 01:16:34 AM

210 BTC for the B4
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2011, 01:50:12 AM

You lead with that offer.

what have i done ... (but my bit is valid. man should stand by his past actions)

Heh, I won't take it too hard if you retract your offer at any time until we agree to close the deal. I understand the bitcoin economy is small and volatile still, which is one of the reasons I don't think auctions work well right now.
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2011, 01:51:41 AM

210 BTC for the B4

Current bids:
B4 - Atlas @ 210
B2 - ptmhd @ 127
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2011, 09:26:36 AM

220 for B4 with shipping , am located in EU.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2011, 12:20:54 PM

if it's okay with  you, i'd rather cancel my offer/bid
i'm passionate collector and already have 4x 12" apple iBooks  (all of them ca 5-6 yrs old), one old ibm thinkpad
and a kinda new laptop (finally needed moo power for work) si you might understand myy craving for new toys
with cpu but if i bid next time, it will be serous.

i could send you the 2 BTC as sorry.

No need to be (or send) sorry, it is just fair that as I mention in the OP I can choose to not close whatever deal, the same goes for bidders. As long as we haven't come to an agreement, no shaking of hands is done.

You did bring the thread back to life, so thank YOU!
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2011, 12:22:11 PM

220 for B4 with shipping , am located in EU.

B2 - no bids
B4 - rebuilder @ 220
Anonymous

February 01, 2011, 02:14:31 PM

155 for the B2
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2011, 02:26:46 PM

155 for the B2

B2 - Atlas @ 155 (Feb 1)
B4 - rebuilder @ 220 (Feb 1)

rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2011, 03:56:49 PM

Interesting times to be making purchases in BTC, considering the conversion rate spikes lately. Nothing to do with my bid of course, just an observation.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: