Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:21:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is not politically-neutral.  (Read 4973 times)
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 03:55:16 AM

So, the creator's intentions are irrelevant?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Satoshi_Nakamoto

I think a better answer is:  collectively, most of "us" are here to stay faithful to the technical design parameters Satoshi set forth.  In particular, the important basic rules 21 million bitcoins, decaying block reward (50 -> 25 -> 12.5, ...), 10 minute average target, etc.  Hash algorithm may change; max number of bitcoins will not (not if I can help it, anyway).

Bitcoin is an experimental engineering tool.  Any such system will behave in the wild as the majority of users deem it so, regardless of the creator's intentions.

Anything more is outside the realm of engineering, into the mental and ideological space you project onto bitcoin.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
digigalt

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 05:02:49 AM

One is entitled to protection by having the correct amount of value to espouse it whether it be through your inherent value as a human being or direct payment.

So what happens to people who "don't [have] the correct amount of value to espouse it?"
Anonymous

July 20, 2011, 07:08:18 AM

Also, irrational people voting for a ruler? That's hopeless. Let's just hire a benevolent dictator! He'll know what's best!

Yes, it is you, Atlas, who have figured out humanity. You have revolutionized political life by determining that your personal income, earned at the behest of those around you, is worth more than a human life. You, who know the true value of a hard day's work. You who have read an Ayn Rand book and come to the conclusion that it is a personal bible.

There's a reason most people don't think the way. It's because it doesn't work. You can't protect yourself in a state of nature setting, you're not likely to be that top percent, and you still can't seem to separate political ideology from reality. Marxism doesn't work for the exact same reasons anarchy-communism doesn't work: people exist.

Also please mote that in an anarchic society those who are greediest and care nothing about other people will be first on the chopping block.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 07:13:04 AM

Also, irrational people voting for a ruler? That's hopeless. Let's just hire a benevolent dictator! He'll know what's best!

Yes, it is you, Atlas, who have figured out humanity. You have revolutionized political life by determining that your personal income, earned at the behest of those around you, is worth more than a human life. You, who know the true value of a hard day's work. You who have read an Ayn Rand book and come to the conclusion that it is a personal bible.

This, Atlas, is why you should never change your name. It shows very clearly the people who have a clue what they're critiquing, and the morons who assume that you're a rand-drone.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 07:15:13 AM

Bitcoin is a tool. It is politically-neutral since it is incapable of holding political views. People on the other hand are not politically-neutral.

It is a tool and tools are designed with a purpose. Tools with a specific purpose will serve these purposes along with their shared sentiments. The purpose is obviously freedom.

If a tool were truly neutral, it would be incapable of anything. To say a screw-driver is neutral is to say it's not for screwing screws when obviously that's its intended purpose.

There is no such thing as a apathetic tool unless it is used inanely with a handicapped view of reality.

Perhaps to you.

I am politically neutral, but I am capable of things.

Think before you speak.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 07:25:37 AM

Tools are neutral by definition, bits and bytes don't practice politics. It's the people using them that can have political direction.

This is the same kind of argument that some countries are using to ban portscanners, exploit generators and such. "The tool is inherently dangerous and evil!". Oh no it isn't, it is simply a very effective tool and can thus be used to advance "good" and "bad" agendas in the same way.

So what do we want bitcoin to be? A "dangerous, political tool" or simply a neutral global decentralized currency. Think about it.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Anonymous

July 20, 2011, 07:26:52 AM

This, Atlas, is why you should never change your name. It shows very clearly the people who have a clue what they're critiquing, and the morons who assume that you're a rand-drone.

This post makes no sense. I'm critiquing an anarcho-capitalist who very clearly derives his worldviw from a Rand book as evidenced by his strong Objectivist slant and the fact that he tries to write every post as if he himself were Ayn Rand. But please, let's discuss how I don't know what I'm saying while dodging everything I say.
Anonymous

July 20, 2011, 07:38:06 AM

Tools are neutral. I am wrong.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: