Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:19:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TECHNOBIT's HEX16A in hand - first impressions / mining software  (Read 24116 times)
2GOOD (OP)

Activity: 547
Merit: 531

First bits: 12good

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 09:58:46 AM

alright thanks for the info, was just looking at other options i might need.

I am trying to run my hex16a2 on my windows 8 Desktop PC with the newest hexminer software and miner_proxy with usb drivers. Every time i press start on the mining the console will show it is connection then it fails and says the driver need to be up dated even though i have the most recent updates.

Is there a cgminer compiled to run on windows and support the hex boards? this would be very handy
Buy a tplink dude and forget
I can not give much help with windows
but there is one look at 2good topic.
It is a mess with cgminer and windows zdiag drivers and so on...
tplink will pay the electricity for a month and it is plug and play Cheesy

You can run hex16a2 with cgminer for windows:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=569689.msg6204518#msg6204518

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
snowcrawl

Activity: 377
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 09:59:37 PM
Last edit: April 16, 2014, 10:17:14 PM by snowcrawl

I am trying to run my hex16a2 on my windows 8 Desktop PC with the newest hexminer software and miner_proxy with usb drivers. Every time i press start on the mining the console will show it is connection then it fails and says the driver need to be up dated even though i have the most recent updates.

Is there a cgminer compiled to run on windows and support the hex boards? this would be very handy

I am running a total of six hex16a2 miners with a windows 7 laptop.  All connected to a generic 7 port USB hub.  It did take me a while to get it configured to a point where it runs stable.  I still reboot the entire mining system once or twice a day in order to maintain stability and performance and set up the mining pool to email me whenever the miners go inactive so that I can troubleshoot it as soon as possible.  Once you figure out how to keep it stable, downtime becomes infrequent.

With this many miners I opted for 2 different power supplies.  You can run two miners from each branch of the power supply, however if you do you will find the wires get very hot.  So I set up mine in such a way as to only run one miner per branch. Proper wiring is important.  With the older boards that had 4 pin molex connectors, I found that not all 4 pin connectors fit easily.  The classic white ones were fine, but the newer black ones could be difficult to push in.  If you ran into a flakey connection, you can usually fix it by using an 4 pin molex extension cord.  You can use the SATA connectors by using a SATA to molex adapter cord.

For the newer boards that have a 2 wire power supply, I think it is a good idea to put a cable tie around the closest bolt to hold the wires in place so that your power connection cannot be tugged out by pulling on the cables.  I used the PCI-E power connector from the power supplies to power these boards, and secured the connections carefully with electrical tape.

The USB cable running to your computer should be secured to something in such a way that there in now weight on the USB cable.  A flakey USB connection seems to be a major cause of crashes.

The newest hexminer driver for Windows should download automatically.  At first I tried to manually download the drivers that were recomended by the seller, but then noticed that a newer driver was available.  Driver version 5.1.2600.7  Date: 06/12/2012  Microchip Technology, Inc.  It worked better than the older driver I tried at first.

It can be tricky to get these miners properly configured with your PC environment.  I have run into problems with Windows Firewall and various antivirus software programs trying to block or shut down the miner proxy and the Hexminer software.  Some antivirus identify Hexminer program as a trojan virus and automatically delete it from your computer.  So it is important to set up some exceptions in your internet security so that these programs will be permitted to run unhindered.  The computer you have chosen to run the miner on will be pretty much entirely dedicated mining.  If you run other programs it can interfere with mining.

Power setting in windows set to maximum, and never allowed to go in hibernation mode.  Windows updates must be set to manual, so that your computer will not suddenly reboot in the middle of the night after installing new windows updates.  These are things that will cause downtime to your mining.

2GOOD (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 10:36:02 PM

You can run them with cgminer and avoid instability:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=569689

snowcrawl

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 12:23:56 AM

Since I have never used cgminer before, I would need to familiarize myself with the program.  I followed the instructions and set it up to run one of my miners, but I am receiving the message that no devices are detected.
2GOOD (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 12:36:00 AM

Since I have never used cgminer before, I would need to familiarize myself with the program.  I followed the instructions and set it up to run one of my miners, but I am receiving the message that no devices are detected.

Please comment in the cgminer thread!

About the problem try reboot or at least replug of the devices.

Zich
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 03:12:06 AM

Maybe you download wrong version.
Check again the OP https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=569689

The one that support HEX16A is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8082585/cg/cgminer_technobit_win/cgminer-hex16a.rar

But if i may suggest, as loshia said, use TPLINK TL-MR3020 as host. It's cheap, use small power & easy to configure.
Check it out here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=476326.0
icycan

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 06:54:41 AM

Thank you worked very well.
Do you know the settings for voltages and watts by chance for the cgminer config file for regular speed and over clocking?
2GOOD (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2014, 09:51:26 AM

Do you know the settings for voltages and watts by chance for the cgminer config file for regular speed and over clocking?

Here is the HEX16A2 review:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=355323.0

I run mine at 1200mhz / 950mv => 19GH The power consumption should be bellow 50W

icycan

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 04:49:22 PM

Here is the HEX16A2 review:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=355323.0

I run mine at 1200mhz / 950mv => 19GH The power consumption should be bellow 50W

so what would i put in this following section of the configuration.config file if i want it running at 22Gh/s
or is this already set by default?
Code:
"set_default_to_8" : false,
"hexminera-voltage" : "1340",
"hexminera-options" : "16:450",
snowcrawl

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 07:52:19 PM
Last edit: April 28, 2014, 08:04:42 PM by snowcrawl

I am using a combination of Corsair CX750M and a Thermaltake smart 650w power supplies to run 6 hex16a2.  According to the Killawatt, it is taking about 257 watts to run, so that averages out to 42.5 watts.  I am running mine at 1530mhz / 1020mv.  However I was registering a much higher power consumption before when I was just using the cheapest generic power supplies I could find.  I wonder if these new power supplies are really that much more efficient, or if maybe my killawatt isn't giving me a proper reading because I have the two power supplies connected to a multi outlet adapter plug.

So far, I seem to be generating less shares with CGMiner than I was using HexMiner.   I was sometimes seeing up to 110,000 shares on certain shifts with HexMiner, but only topping at 90,000 using 6 miners.   
Zich
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2014, 04:19:20 AM

so what would i put in this following section of the configuration.config file if i want it running at 22Gh/s
or is this already set by default?
Code:
"set_default_to_8" : false,
"hexminera-voltage" : "1340",
"hexminera-options" : "16:450",

That's was HEX16A setting, for HEX16C:
Code:
"hexminerc-voltage" : "1100",
"hexminerc-options" : "16:1500",
"set_default_to_c" : true,

do not use "set_default_to_8" : false,
Zich
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2014, 04:21:28 AM

I am using a combination of Corsair CX750M and a Thermaltake smart 650w power supplies to run 6 hex16a2.  According to the Killawatt, it is taking about 257 watts to run, so that averages out to 42.5 watts.  I am running mine at 1530mhz / 1020mv.  However I was registering a much higher power consumption before when I was just using the cheapest generic power supplies I could find.  I wonder if these new power supplies are really that much more efficient, or if maybe my killawatt isn't giving me a proper reading because I have the two power supplies connected to a multi outlet adapter plug.

So far, I seem to be generating less shares with CGMiner than I was using HexMiner.   I was sometimes seeing up to 110,000 shares on certain shifts with HexMiner, but only topping at 90,000 using 6 miners.  

If i remember correctly, my HEX16C use about 9 A on 12V rail, so that's was 108 watt.
That's why she is retired already.
snowcrawl

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 08:11:20 PM

If i remember correctly, my HEX16C use about 9 A on 12V rail, so that's was 108 watt.
That's why she is retired already.

The fellow who was selling these was doing brisk business for a while, however the sales have trickled to a slow crawl.  People are probably realizing that getting a full return on investment from these is not very easy.  Especially when you consider that the original price was around $200 per miner, then eventually half that price.  And the cost of electricity, like you said.  To try to compensate, I have rolled much of my bitcoin earnings from these miners back into cheaper cloud mining, to get to the point where most of the mining I do is in the cloud.
scarlott57@bellsouth.net

Activity: 27

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 01:24:27 AM

I notice there is an overclock chart for the Hexminer 16A

are there charts to overclock the 16B and 16C miners elsewhere on this site if so I have been unable to locate.
I also tried to get from technobit site could not find so I requested the charts I have yet to get a response, ( about 2 weeks)
2GOOD (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2014, 11:15:13 AM

I notice there is an overclock chart for the Hexminer 16A

are there charts to overclock the 16B and 16C miners elsewhere on this site if so I have been unable to locate.
I also tried to get from technobit site could not find so I requested the charts I have yet to get a response, ( about 2 weeks)

You can check my reviews for common settings and charts:
HEX16A2 (HEXc)
HEX16B (HEXb)
HEX16B2 BitFury2 (HEXb)
HEX8A1 260GH (HEX8)
HEX8A1 130GH (HEX8)

scarlott57@bellsouth.net

Activity: 27

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 12:08:15 AM

Thanks will play with this a bit and see what happens
kmaikaza

Activity: 13

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 02:40:41 PM

i got my Hex16A to run on 8+ ghs but over two min gets weery hot so didnt do testing on HW erors clock 530mhz 1550mv.

I shorted that yumper on the 5v rail so it gets power directly from psu.

Anybody did any testing how high can i push avlon first gen asic chip 

Thanks
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: