Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:46:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which platform should Hive tackle next?
Desktop Windows - 15 (68.2%)
Desktop Linux - 1 (4.5%)
Chrome App - 3 (13.6%)
Other - 3 (13.6%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing Hive, a beautiful new wallet for Mac OS X  (Read 140948 times)
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:14:46 AM

When I try to enable dropbox it spits this out.
Can you send the crash report from the exception popup if it shows up (if you haven't already), and send me the logs from ~/Library/Logs/Hive and anything from Console.app that appears at the moment when this happens? (kuba (at) hivewallet.com)

I just send the report thru the app's crash reporter, I didn't see anything in the logs that showed this. The log is mostly java bitcoinj stuff.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:15:14 AM

Also, which OSX version are you on?

jsuder

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 08:13:24 AM

I think I know what was wrong, though I'm not sure why I can't reproduce the crash myself... Try this test build: https://github.com/hivewallet/hive-osx/releases/download/2014010401/Hive-2014010401.zip

Former main developer of Hive Mac | @kuba_suder at Twitter
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 08:28:51 AM

I think I know what was wrong, though I'm not sure why I can't reproduce the crash myself... Try this test build: https://github.com/hivewallet/hive-osx/releases/download/2014010401/Hive-2014010401.zip

That worked for me thanks!
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 09:36:23 AM

If you don't mind me asking, how would the chrome app work?

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 09:47:35 AM

Lots and lots of javascript and html5, it is really hard, but you can use already made apis to bitcoin servers to get balances and to talk to the network. Bitcoin is really powerful in that way, that you can just build certain parts and have centralized parts. So the application would basically just sign transactions and then a centralized server can broadcast them to the network.
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 09:50:36 AM

Lots and lots of javascript and html5, it is really hard, but you can use already made apis to bitcoin servers to get balances and to talk to the network. Bitcoin is really powerful in that way, that you can just build certain parts and have centralized parts. So the application would basically just sign transactions and then a centralized server can broadcast them to the network.

But hive aims to be decentralized. Would it still be possible? What about how multivitamin works? They don't download the entire blockchain. Would that be possible to do with JS?

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 09:57:43 AM
Last edit: January 04, 2014, 06:06:51 PM by gweedo

But hive aims to be decentralized. Would it still be possible? What about how multivitamin works? They don't download the entire blockchain. Would that be possible to do with JS?

It would be really really really hard task to download the entire blockchain with JS. Remember JS is a scripting language and to make it take bits and shift bits is really hard. That isn't built into the language so you would need a library or to built that yourself. Plus hive isn't decentralized they use bitcoinj as the backend, it is a SPV client. That is second lowest form of trust on the network. Also I said certain parts can be centralized, like sending an already signed transaction to the network because no one can tamper with that. Also getting balances can be centralized, cause no one is using a chrome app to send $100K and if they are then they are dumb. If you want to see something cool look at the KryptoKit and get the chrome app package, add .zip and you can see the source code.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 01:40:19 PM

Great! Some UI feedback:

• When I open an app, there are is a visual glitches. There is a rightward arrow mark in the title bar, looks like it's trying to be a button bar but the button edge overlaps with the middle of the label. This is with Mavericks.
  • I tried to use the localbitcoins app to find sell offers and it didn't work, the app just stayed on the progress bar after clicking "find offers" forever.
  • Could Hive not pick up my name from the operating system?
  • Why do the buttons have a custom style instead of being regular Aqua buttons? On the profile page, the "Edit" button is not aligned with the "send" button in the left hand tray, so it looks a bit odd and unpolished. Also, on the "change password" screen, the button always looks the same regardless of whether it's enabled or disabled. If you make a mistake typing in your password a second time, there's no visual feedback you've got it wrong: the button simply acts dead when you try to push it.
  • In the transactions page, it seems like there is an issue with the PENDING label? I had some money in my hive wallet already, and it showed up as PENDING even though it was confirmed for a long time. Upgrade specific issue?
  • A transaction lights up if I push it, but nothing happens. That is odd - it looks and acts like a button, yet, pressing it doesn't do anything.
  • Hive doesn't seem to register to handle bitcoin URIs yet?
  • I had two transactions in my wallet. I sent some money out to my phone, so I expected that transaction to appear at either the top or bottom of my tx list. In fact it appeared in the middle. How are transactions sorted? Could you also include the time so transactions that occur on the same day can be seen in more detail?
jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 03:24:20 PM

Hi Mike, thanks for the feedback!

When I open an app, there are is a visual glitches. There is a rightward arrow mark in the title bar, looks like it's trying to be a button bar but the button edge overlaps with the middle of the label. This is with Mavericks.
Yeah, I've noticed that too recently...

I tried to use the localbitcoins app to find sell offers and it didn't work, the app just stayed on the progress bar after clicking "find offers" forever.
To be honest we haven't looked at the existing apps recently - I'll tell someone from the team to take a look at this.

Could Hive not pick up my name from the operating system?
It probably could, good idea.

Why do the buttons have a custom style instead of being regular Aqua buttons?
Because that's how our designer designed it Wink Now that you say that, we might actually be better off using standard ones, we'll have to rethink that...

On the profile page, the "Edit" button is not aligned with the "send" button in the left hand tray, so it looks a bit odd and unpolished.
Yeah, we have some tickets for that, we're just too busy now trying to get the most important stuff done before the Miami conference...

Also, on the "change password" screen, the button always looks the same regardless of whether it's enabled or disabled. If you make a mistake typing in your password a second time, there's no visual feedback you've got it wrong: the button simply acts dead when you try to push it.
Good point, there is actually a visual feedback (red background) but only when you press enter.

In the transactions page, it seems like there is an issue with the PENDING label? I had some money in my hive wallet already, and it showed up as PENDING even though it was confirmed for a long time. Upgrade specific issue?
That's possible. Can you check in the Debugging Info window, on "Data store transactions" list, what is the status value for those? I suspect it's really 0=unknown, not 1=pending.
Also, if you go to Debugging Tools and run "Rebuild transactions list", that should fix it too. (This only rebuilds the Core Data table.)

Hive doesn't seem to register to handle bitcoin URIs yet?
It should, we added this some time ago. Does it not work with the one here https://electrum.org/bitcoin_URIs.html for example? Even if Hive is already started? Maybe try in a different browser?

I had two transactions in my wallet. I sent some money out to my phone, so I expected that transaction to appear at either the top or bottom of my tx list. In fact it appeared in the middle. How are transactions sorted?
They should be sorted by newest first. I suspect this is a data migration problem, I saw that too, but it should rebuild the list on first run to prevent this... Check the dates on the list in Debugging Info mentioned above - the ones that appear above the newest one probably have dates from 2044 or something like that.

Could you also include the time so transactions that occur on the same day can be seen in more detail?
Yeah, we probably should.

twentyseventy
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:29:35 PM

Cant wait till the dropbox update!!!
Your wait is over Wink A big new release (2014010201) is out:

• wallet’s private key can now be encrypted with a password (see “Wallet” menu)
  • Backup Center - check Time Machine backup status and automatically back up Hive data to your Dropbox folder
  • you can now choose Bitcoin unit (BTC, mBTC, µBTC) - default is mBTC
  • pending transactions are marked as such on the list
  • added “share” button on Transactions list (10.8+)
  • Hive offers to move itself to Applications if started e.g. from Downloads
  • fixed contact autocomplete in Send dialog
  • UI fixes for some translations
  • improved German translation
  • updated bitcoinj to latest version
  • various bug fixes and UI improvements

As usual, get it from hivewallet.com or the in-app update system.

In what format does it store the backup on Dropbox?
jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:32:25 PM

It copies two files from the Hive directory in Application Support to the selected directory - one is the Core Data database (which keeps a list of transactions, contacts with addresses etc.) and the other is the bitcoinj wallet file with all the keys and whatever other data bitcoinj needs.

twentyseventy
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 06:30:19 PM

It copies two files from the Hive directory in Application Support to the selected directory - one is the Core Data database (which keeps a list of transactions, contacts with addresses etc.) and the other is the bitcoinj wallet file with all the keys and whatever other data bitcoinj needs.

Thanks for the response. Is the wallet encrypted or otherwise protected if Dropbox was accessed by someone else besides the user?
jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 06:33:20 PM

Thanks for the response. Is the wallet encrypted or otherwise protected if Dropbox was accessed by someone else besides the user?
Only if you set a password, which is a feature that we've also added in this release - see the Wallet menu. (We'll make a change next week so that it's not possible to use the Dropbox backup until you do that, for your own safety...)

bitboy

Activity: 55
Merit: 51

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 12:37:00 AM

Hi there. Thanks for the amazing looking app. Unfortunately I am having trouble sending out bitcoin from the app. I am on OSX 10.7.5. Each time I click send, the app would crash before prompting me to enter the password for my wallet. I am also currently not using the backup utility.

I did not receive any private messages or instruction from anyone before, and when I first created those graphics, not even from SN.
jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 09:16:45 AM

Hi there. Thanks for the amazing looking app. Unfortunately I am having trouble sending out bitcoin from the app. I am on OSX 10.7.5. Each time I click send, the app would crash before prompting me to enter the password for my wallet. I am also currently not using the backup utility.
Please send the report from the exception popup if it appears, and send me the logs from ~/Library/Logs/Hive and anything interesting from Console.app from the moment of the crash (kuba at hivewallet.com).

Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:24:43 PM

Hey,

status=1 and date=2044 so yeah, some kind of migration issue. Doing "rebuild transaction list" indeed fixed it.

Bitcoin URIs open Hive for me, but the app doesn't pre-fill the send screen as I would expect. It just sits on my personal profile page.

Thanks!
WilJeans

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:50:14 PM

Nice wallet. But when will hive be released for windows. Smiley
jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 07:04:47 PM

Bitcoin URIs open Hive for me, but the app doesn't pre-fill the send screen as I would expect. It just sits on my personal profile page.
I tried it now and it does open the send window but only if you already have the app open, is this how it works for you too?

Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 06:31:09 PM

I tried both and couldn't make it open the send screen Sad
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: