Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:00:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which platform should Hive tackle next?
Desktop Windows - 15 (68.2%)
Desktop Linux - 1 (4.5%)
Chrome App - 3 (13.6%)
Other - 3 (13.6%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing Hive, a beautiful new wallet for Mac OS X  (Read 140946 times)
jsuder

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 10:15:25 AM

status=1 and date=2044 so yeah, some kind of migration issue. Doing "rebuild transaction list" indeed fixed it.
Did you see the "pending" label on just one of your old transactions, or on all of them (or the only one)?

Former main developer of Hive Mac | @kuba_suder at Twitter

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 10:25:49 AM

The pending label was stuck there for the old transaction, it worked as I expected for the others. Now the db was rebuilt it's OK.
jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 10:27:01 AM

But you only had one old transaction or did you also have other old ones that weren't marked as pending?

doublejoint

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:14:33 AM

same for me, just fresh installed it, transferred some btc from another wallet to hive, and even though it shows transaction completed in multi bit, hive shows pending even though its confirmed.  Resetting the transaction list, fixes it and the pending label goes away...perhaps this is a bug?
jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 08:55:34 AM

same for me, just fresh installed it, transferred some btc from another wallet to hive, and even though it shows transaction completed in multi bit, hive shows pending even though its confirmed.  Resetting the transaction list, fixes it and the pending label goes away...perhaps this is a bug?
I think this is different, you're talking about a new transaction - this is indeed a known issue, the pending label also goes away if you just restart Hive (it's updated in the database but not in the UI). Mike's problem (as I understand) was about an older transaction that would never update by itself.

jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:15:55 PM

Hello,

new release is out - we've fixed a lot of bugs this week and we've done a lot of small changes. Here's the full list:

• Dropbox backup is disabled until you set a wallet password
  • backup is also run after waking up from sleep (previously only on Hive start)
  • you will get a warning if you try to send much more BTC than usually
  • transaction date is now localized and shows also time and (for older transactions) year
  • removed "from" addresses from the transactions list, to discourage users from sending money back to the same address
  • balance on the profile page will now include Bitcoin from unconfirmed transactions (no separate "pending" balance)
  • Hive should now automatically figure out user's full name on first start
  • fixed several bugs related to backups, encryption and other things
  • added Swedish translation
  • new API methods for handling currency and Bitcoin formats

All of the crashing bugs you found should be (hopefully) fixed now. Let us know if something else doesn't work.

Link: https://github.com/hivewallet/hive-osx/releases/download/2014011001/Hive-2014011001.zip

nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 06:18:56 PM

What is "much more than usual"? Do you take the averages of all our transaction and then warn us we send more than that?

jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:41:24 PM

What is "much more than usual"? Do you take the averages of all our transaction and then warn us we send more than that?
Right now we show the warning if the amount is more than one standard deviation higher than the average. So for transactions [100, 200, 300, 400] it would warn above ~380, and for [100, 200, 300, 1000] it would warn above ~800. We'll tweak it if it turns out that there are too many false positives - the idea is to try to protect the user from accidentally sending much more than they wanted to.

jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 08:00:29 PM

...and we've got another bugfix release: https://github.com/hivewallet/hive-osx/releases/download/2014011002/Hive-2014011002.zip.

If your transactions list is crashing Hive, please download the latest version again.

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 01:05:07 AM

Right now we show the warning if the amount is more than one standard deviation higher than the average. So for transactions [100, 200, 300, 400] it would warn above ~380, and for [100, 200, 300, 1000] it would warn above ~800. We'll tweak it if it turns out that there are too many false positives - the idea is to try to protect the user from accidentally sending much more than they wanted to.

Very nice idea.

keewee
Legendary

Activity: 1025

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 09:55:38 PM

Unfortunately even after deleting the prefs and restarting, I still don't see any apps. I did successfully receive a transation though, so it's working.

Mt Gox is currently skewed significantly from every other rate. There is a library called Xchange which is what MultiBit uses. Alternatively BitPay export their blended rates:

https://bitpay.com/api/rates

It'd be great to have some support for exchange rates in bitcoinj if anyone wants to contribute.

Regarding the rates, I can't see if this was discussed further. However I second the suggestion of using a different source for this information. I had a quick glance over the rates on the Bitpay page and they seem closer to the true market rates. Certainly for my local currency, NZD, the rate is much more accurate

1keewee2vRp63UWvPBynT55ZYw6SUCKDB
keewee
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 10:06:41 PM

One interface issue that I haven't seen in any other app is that I am unable to drag the window if I grab it over the title text. Any other area on the title bar works fine. Had me stumped the first time I noticed it  Smiley

jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 11:29:09 PM

Regarding the rates, I can't see if this was discussed further. However I second the suggestion of using a different source for this information. I had a quick glance over the rates on the Bitpay page and they seem closer to the true market rates. Certainly for my local currency, NZD, the rate is much more accurate
We've switched the provider to BitcoinAverage about a month ago. It takes a weighted average from all exchanges dealing with given currency, depending on the volume of transactions on each one, so it seems to be the most accurate source. BitPay calculates everything from BTC/USD rate somehow, which in some cases comes out completely wrong.

One interface issue that I haven't seen in any other app is that I am unable to drag the window if I grab it over the title text. Any other area on the title bar works fine. Had me stumped the first time I noticed it  Smiley
Yeah, I think I've noticed this too, must be something caused by the library we're using to make the window title bar wider than usually. I'll add a ticket for this.

keewee
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:12:14 AM

We've switched the provider to BitcoinAverage about a month ago. It takes a weighted average from all exchanges dealing with given currency, depending on the volume of transactions on each one, so it seems to be the most accurate source. BitPay calculates everything from BTC/USD rate somehow, which in some cases comes out completely wrong.

Yeah, I think I've noticed this too, must be something caused by the library we're using to make the window title bar wider than usually. I'll add a ticket for this.

Thanks for the info. One thing I can't find is a way to create new receiving addresses. Is this implemented? It seems that it could be because the receiving address is labeled "main" which implies it might be possible to add others with different names but I can't find a button or menu entry for this function anywhere.

jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:50:14 AM

Thanks for the info. One thing I can't find is a way to create new receiving addresses. Is this implemented? It seems that it could be because the receiving address is labeled "main" which implies it might be possible to add others with different names but I can't find a button or menu entry for this function anywhere.
Yeah, there's no way to generate more addresses now... I know address reuse is not recommended, but it's by design to make things simpler to understand for people new to Bitcoin.

In the next month or two we're going to switch to a BIP32 HD wallet (once it's implemented in bitcoinj), so new addresses will be generated from the seed every time, and then we'll rethink how to handle this in the UI.

tgerring

Activity: 142

Hive/Ethereum

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 03:01:15 PM

Yeah, there's no way to generate more addresses now... I know address reuse is not recommended, but it's by design to make things simpler to understand for people new to Bitcoin.

In the next month or two we're going to switch to a BIP32 HD wallet (once it's implemented in bitcoinj), so new addresses will be generated from the seed every time, and then we'll rethink how to handle this in the UI.

As a Hive team member, what I hope to see a move away form addresses altogether. Mike Hearn's bitcoinj will facilitate address uniqueness and Payment Protocol will further reduce the exposure of the user to PubKeys Smiley

Hive, a beautiful wallet for Mac OS X, now available for testing. Follow the story here.
BitcoinKit.framework and Tor.framework, now available to iOS and Mac OS X developers
Tweeting at @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 142m1MpXHhymF4aASiWwYohe1Y55v5BQwc
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:12:18 PM

Yup, that's the plan! Working on it ...
gorgorom

Activity: 238

Inject Its Venom Into Your Veins

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 11:44:53 PM

OMG this wallet is so beautiful. Can anyone pm me or post here about your expierences with it/ I want to use it for my go-to wallet but the warning frightens me Sad

▲Check Out My Projects & Services!▲ 
Please read the goddamned trust rating feedback before you judge...soo stupid..
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 03:05:40 AM

OMG this wallet is so beautiful. Can anyone pm me or post here about your expierences with it/ I want to use it for my go-to wallet but the warning frightens me Sad

It does work O.K on my mac and I would use it but DONT PUT ALL OF YOUR COINS ON THERE. Sometimes the new releases tend to make the app crash and your btc is inaccessible for a day or two. You could use it as your primary wallet but have some on coinbase or an online wallet just in case. Also some of the apps dont work or look good...

tgerring

Activity: 142

Hive/Ethereum

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 03:34:45 PM

I've been using Hive Wallet to make purchases since the start of the new year (including my flight to Bitcoin Miami this weekend), and it's worked pretty dandy for me so far. With the encryption and backup system in place (currently leveraging Time Machine and Dropbox), you have much less to fear in terms of losing your coins should the software do something unexpected.

We appreciate everyone's help using and testing the software and hope to really make this the best looking, most secure, most stable, easiest-to-use Bitcoin software on the planet Smiley

There are so many exciting things to come that I keep shouting "HURRY UP FUTURE"!

Hive, a beautiful wallet for Mac OS X, now available for testing. Follow the story here.
BitcoinKit.framework and Tor.framework, now available to iOS and Mac OS X developers
Tweeting at @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 142m1MpXHhymF4aASiWwYohe1Y55v5BQwc
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: