Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:35:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof BTC has a way to go - NOT considered a safe haven  (Read 3025 times)
bitcola (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 11:58:33 AM

Although the bitcoin lovers claim that one of the benefits of BTC is as a safe haven for your money, recent days events have no proved that.

While gold and swiss Francs have climbed, just look at BTC. Still hovering around the 13-14 mark. It's definitely not a safe haven currency yet and the lack of movement means I'm putting off using it as one e.g. hedge against the euro.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 12:01:03 PM

While gold and swiss Francs have climbed, just look at BTC. Still hovering around the 13-14 mark. It's definitely not a safe haven currency yet and the lack of movement means I'm putting off using it as one e.g. hedge against the euro.

Lack of movement! EVIL!

Too much movement! EVIL!

bitplane

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 12:02:47 PM

To be fair, BTC isn't really an investment used by investors. It's still a toy used by geeks, even our BTC speculators are just geeks with money to play with.
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 12:06:28 PM

While gold and swiss Francs have climbed

Climbed compared to what? My time? Moondust? Barbie dolls? USD?

Different things are important to different people. On the list of why I value BTC "safe haven" isn't even in the top 10 Smiley
spruce

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 12:22:36 PM

Although the bitcoin lovers claim that one of the benefits of BTC is as a safe haven for your money, recent days events have no proved that.

In the past year gold has increased in value for 1 oz. from about $1160 to $1500 or so, an increase of about 30%.

In the past year a Swiss Franc has increased in value for 1 CHF from about $0.97 to about $1.20, an increase of about 24%.

In the past year bitcoin has increased in value for 1 BTC from about $0.005 to $14, an increase of about 280,000%.

Of course, the past is not a reliable guide for future investment, so do what you think is best.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 01:11:57 PM

To be fair, BTC isn't really an investment used by investors. It's still a toy used by geeks, even our BTC speculators are just geeks with money to play with.

this is just not true.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 01:14:13 PM

Lack of movement! EVIL!

Too much movement! EVIL!

Not stable enough to be a currency!  EVIL!
Not volatile enough to be a currency!  EVIL!
Everywhere i see EVIL!

LOL!
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 01:15:14 PM

Euros are traded at far less than $13/Euro. Doesn't that mean they suck even more, by your extremely logical standards?
coingenuity

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 01:47:58 PM

In the past year gold has increased in value for 1 oz. from about $1160 to $1500 or so, an increase of about 30%.

In the past year a Swiss Franc has increased in value for 1 CHF from about $0.97 to about $1.20, an increase of about 24%.

In the past year bitcoin has increased in value for 1 BTC from about $0.005 to $14, an increase of about 280,000%.

Of course, the past is not a reliable guide for future investment, so do what you think is best.

Good post.

libertyzeal

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 02:23:55 PM

It will be interesting if bitcoin ever gets picked up on the FOREX exchanges, those guys are used to making highly leveraged trades, which isn't directly possible with bitcoin.  Until then I wouldn't expect it to trade like a normal currency.
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 02:26:37 PM

And we have a winner.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 06:36:07 PM

It will be interesting if bitcoin ever gets picked up on the FOREX exchanges, those guys are used to making highly leveraged trades, which isn't directly possible with bitcoin.  Until then I wouldn't expect it to trade like a normal currency.

Why aren't leveraged trades possible? I can leverage-trade myself right now by getting a loan in USD and buying BTC with that money. What kind of leverage are you talking about?
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 06:36:41 PM

@bitcola

The parent post is just plain embarrassing. In the age of the internet, you could easily research a few things and see you are way off the mark. Lets deconstruct, shall we?

"Recent days events" eh? Care to provide, you know, some elaboration to your claims? I really detest open-ended fluffery. Give what you are saying some weight, or don't post it at all.

Again, priced against what? If we have to assume from your statement that it is in US Dollars, fine - but make it clear. This will save you future heartache when people dissect your logic.

I shake my head when I see the 'lack of movement' rationale. You're saying that a currency that has some kind of plateau of stable pricing isn't good enough? Do you realize the markets you are comparing are several orders of magnitude off from each other?

What exactly compelled you to put your foot in your mouth? I'm at a loss to even attempt explaining it.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
bitcola (OP)

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 07:14:01 PM

Bitcoin's rise this year is a one-off due to it's infancy. If you honestly think it will perform like that for eternity then you are lost, my friend!

Euros are traded at far less than $13/Euro. Doesn't that mean they suck even more, by your extremely logical standards?

Absolute value of a currency doesn't mean anything. No offence, but you should do some basic reading on currencies.

@bitcola

The parent post is just plain embarrassing. In the age of the internet, you could easily research a few things and see you are way off the mark. Lets deconstruct, shall we?

"Recent days events" eh? Care to provide, you know, some elaboration to your claims? I really detest open-ended fluffery. Give what you are saying some weight, or don't post it at all.

Again, priced against what? If we have to assume from your statement that it is in US Dollars, fine - but make it clear. This will save you future heartache when people dissect your logic.

I shake my head when I see the 'lack of movement' rationale. You're saying that a currency that has some kind of plateau of stable pricing isn't good enough? Do you realize the markets you are comparing are several orders of magnitude off from each other?

What exactly compelled you to put your foot in your mouth? I'm at a loss to even attempt explaining it.

Not sure why the insults are flying here. My post was brief and to the point. Any longer, and it may not have gotten any responses. Don't jump to conclusions or make assumptions and flying insults are no help for a good discussion.

Yes, let's assume against the USD. This was my original assumption but I did not want to complicate matters. An assumption against the world reserve currency can safely be made.

Of course I realise they are several magnitudes of order different.

But what I am trying to say is that when there is a gloomy outlook or bad news, possible "tits-up" scenario on the horizon within weeks or even days, then it is normal for there to be a flight to CHF or XAU. As one good example, the last week or so has seen such rises. Whereas BTC has not moved at all. So there is no serious, even small critical mass who believes that BTC is a safe haven. If there were even a few, the price would have budged.

error

Activity: 588

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 07:31:13 PM

Anyone in Europe wanting to get into BTC right now is going to have a hard time doing it, at least at MtGox. I have heard a lot of complaining from people in Europe who want to buy but can't. I expect to see some movement as soon as it becomes possible for them to get money into MtGox, which is going to be next week at the earliest.

The rest of you should get in now before the big buying spree. Smiley

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
TYDIRocks

Activity: 213

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 07:32:13 PM

lol you just won against OP, good post.

Import new address/private keys with ease: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101161
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 07:42:26 PM

Why aren't leveraged trades possible? I can leverage-trade myself right now by getting a loan in USD and buying BTC with that money. What kind of leverage are you talking about?

I want to do naked trades (not bothering the hassle of borrowing money or bitcoin...non-naked trades are so 90's Smiley  Any ideas?

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
joulesbeef

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

moOo

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 07:50:58 PM

Here is the deal, just becasue gold and the franc have gone up doesnt mean that BTC isnt a haven.

People are flocking to gold and francs as it is the traditional haven when the dollar eventually drops.

right now gold and francs are rising on the POSSIBILITY of a major dollar drop. Not that it has happened but becasue of the ammount of people flocking there.

BTC is nowhere traded at the same level, you would not expect to see such a rise before the dollar collapse. It just doesnt have that many people that use it yet as a safe haven. THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT ISNT ONE.

(personally I dont think it is as we tend to peg items to the dollar before selling them IN BTC)

mooo for rent
error

Activity: 588

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 07:51:50 PM

I want to do naked trades (not bothering the hassle of borrowing money or bitcoin...non-naked trades are so 90's Smiley  Any ideas?

Undress before you walk into the bank.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 08:15:47 PM

i see the lack of correlation to the USD market as positive development for BTC.  you name an asset class; stocks, bonds, real estate, commodities, and even gold/silver and they all have a negative correlation to the USD.  and this is to be expected since the more USD's Berspankme prints, the more they flow into speculative assets such as these.  this is called the "all one market" theory.

let us not forget that BTC has had a HUGE run since October and it needs a rest, aka consolidation.  as i pointed out in another thread the technical indicators are strengthening and starting to turn up.  the fact that it is not correlating or participating in this "all one market" theory says to me that it indeed does have the potential to become a major threat to the USD and fiat currencies in general.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: