Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 07:47:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Study: Everyone hates environmentalists and feminists  (Read 80410 times)
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 01:34:21 PM

The ill-will might be a price to pay to allow for awareness.

You don't think humans can be perfectly aware of something, and yet for any number of reasons, including spite, refuse to act on it (or worse, act in a detrimental fashion?)

You honestly think knowledge == incentive?

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 05:53:07 PM

The ill-will might be a price to pay to allow for awareness.

You don't think humans can be perfectly aware of something, and yet for any number of reasons, including spite, refuse to act on it (or worse, act in a detrimental fashion?)

You honestly think knowledge == incentive?

The simple facts of the matter have been laid out completely in my recent post about X and Y and U and V.
randomcloud

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 01:39:07 AM

Actually, it is complicated. Let's pretend you know why they dislike environmentalists. Now, ask yourself this: do you dislike environmentalists? Regardless of your answer, answer why you like or dislike them. And when you arrive at the answer to why, you'll then have to confront your own lack of knowledge with regard to the subject of environmentalism itself to realize if your answer to "why" has any validity to it.

You're missing the point. You and other environmentalists want to convince other people to do what you want them to do. But you can't do that unless you understand why it is that they think the way they do and base your arguments around those reasons. Persuasion is all about what THEY think, not about what *you* know or what you'd like them to know. Just demanding that they educate themselves won't change a thing, they have criticisms, complaints and questions that *you* need to openly acknowledge and respond to. And you will have to if you ever expect to get anywhere in the environmentalist debate.

Let me put it this way: Since so many people feel that the actions you want them to take would disrupt or destroy their livelihoods or lower their standard of living, why not just buy them off? Pay loggers to not be loggers anymore -- since all they care about is having enough money to live off of for the rest of their lives, buying them off would remove their incentive for opposing you and they wouldn't be a problem anymore. For the conservative suburbanite who doesn't want his/her cushy lifestyle to be disrupted, provide means to preserve their way of life that don't affect the environment -- promote biodiesel or electric cars or something, create solutions that don't require them to live differently than they already do, and most importantly explain to these people how doing what you want them to do will benefit them financially.

If you do not listen to me you will not succeed, guaranteed.
FirstAscent

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 02:51:00 AM

Actually, it is complicated. Let's pretend you know why they dislike environmentalists. Now, ask yourself this: do you dislike environmentalists? Regardless of your answer, answer why you like or dislike them. And when you arrive at the answer to why, you'll then have to confront your own lack of knowledge with regard to the subject of environmentalism itself to realize if your answer to "why" has any validity to it.

You're missing the point. You and other environmentalists want to convince other people to do what you want them to do. But you can't do that unless you understand why it is that they think the way they do and base your arguments around those reasons. Persuasion is all about what THEY think, not about what *you* know or what you'd like them to know. Just demanding that they educate themselves won't change a thing, they have criticisms, complaints and questions that *you* need to openly acknowledge and respond to. And you will have to if you ever expect to get anywhere in the environmentalist debate.

Let me put it this way: Since so many people feel that the actions you want them to take would disrupt or destroy their livelihoods or lower their standard of living, why not just buy them off? Pay loggers to not be loggers anymore -- since all they care about is having enough money to live off of for the rest of their lives, buying them off would remove their incentive for opposing you and they wouldn't be a problem anymore. For the conservative suburbanite who doesn't want his/her cushy lifestyle to be disrupted, provide means to preserve their way of life that don't affect the environment -- promote biodiesel or electric cars or something, create solutions that don't require them to live differently than they already do, and most importantly explain to these people how doing what you want them to do will benefit them financially.

Read my last post. And read the post which it discusses. And read the big post from me. You're the one not getting it.
randomcloud

Activity: 49

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 12:40:03 PM

Read my last post. And read the post which it discusses. And read the big post from me. You're the one not getting it.

Have fun never accomplishing anything of value, then. :/
FirstAscent

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 03:15:19 PM
Last edit: October 13, 2013, 04:10:10 PM by FirstAscent

I find the boldfaced line in your recent post as just strange. But actually, as you allude, people really are as stupid as you alluded them to be in that blodfaced line of yours. That's why in the end, it really is about that post I made about U and V. The solution in the end is to simply restrict them if they remain ignorant, as is their choice. You can't force knowledge on people.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2013, 02:19:40 AM

I find the boldfaced line in your recent post as just strange. But actually, as you allude, people really are as stupid as you alluded them to be in that blodfaced line of yours. That's why in the end, it really is about that post I made about U and V. The solution in the end is to simply restrict them if they remain ignorant, as is their choice. You can't force knowledge on people.

He is perfectly happy arguing with himself and accomplishing nothing perpetually. Just look at his post history.
Additionally FirstAscent it is very clear you are the one here treating people as if they are stupid and ignorant and ASSUMING you have the best most correct position available. That is the height of hubris and arrogance, and exactly why you will be laughed at or best case ignored perpetually. You are little more than a muppet repeating the agenda of our fascist overlords wrapped in a nice fuzzy shell of humanitarianism and environmentalism.

Hitler was an environmentalist too. You know why? It was another mechanism for control and subjugation of the people. You can protect the environment and strip millions of people of their rights in one act, and you are just completely dismissing the high likely hood of corruption and abuse. Right along with the supremicist theme, you assume you know better than everyone else, and you will push your ideology no matter who it harms, because your ego has convinced you that you are the pinnacle of knowledge and understanding. In the end what you want is control over other people at their own expense, and everyone knows it. Good luck with your goose stepping.
FirstAscent

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 03:01:46 AM

Hitler was an environmentalist too. You know why? It was another mechanism for control and subjugation of the people.

Actually, the goal is to protect the environment. It's not about controlling people to have a power trip. Address the actual comment I made in response to your previous post.

Oh, and seek help for your paranoid delusions.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2013, 05:39:53 AM

Hitler was an environmentalist too. You know why? It was another mechanism for control and subjugation of the people.

Actually, the goal is to protect the environment. It's not about controlling people to have a power trip. Address the actual comment I made in response to your previous post.

Oh, and seek help for your paranoid delusions.

You never respond to anyone else's comments, you just reply to what you WISH they said. Why should I acknowledge anything you say when you never give the same courtesy to anyone else? As far as the "paranoid delusions", your right, fascism never happened and if we pretend it can never happen again it will just go away. Just close your eyes and wish REAL HAAARD.
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 09:05:13 AM

explain to these people how doing what you want them to do will benefit them financially.

+1 randomcloud

education is the only solution
teach us not to overfish, we could survive
FirstAscent

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 03:47:16 PM
Last edit: October 14, 2013, 04:33:07 PM by FirstAscent

explain to these people how doing what you want them to do will benefit them financially.

+1 randomcloud

They don't care how it benefits society as a whole. That's like taxation. They want it to be explained to them how it would earn them individually more money next year. But it probably won't. That's why randomcloud's post gets a -2, not a +1.

You have to understand, environmental destruction is nothing but borrowing, and not paying back. That means it's going to come back and bite you later. To not engage in environmental destruction is to stop borrowing. When you don't borrow from your household, it fosters a better relationship and pays off later, but it doesn't put more money in your pocket right now. Again, that's why randomcloud's expectations are a little ridiculous.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 09:37:27 PM

+1 randomcloud

They don't care how it benefits society as a whole. That's like taxation. They want it to be explained to them how it would earn them individually more money next year. But it probably won't. That's why randomcloud's post gets a -2, not a +1.

You have to understand, environmental destruction is nothing but borrowing, and not paying back. That means it's going to come back and bite you later. To not engage in environmental destruction is to stop borrowing. When you don't borrow from your household, it fosters a better relationship and pays off later, but it doesn't put more money in your pocket right now. Again, that's why randomcloud's expectations are a little ridiculous.

The problem with this kind of thinking is it asserts that moral decisions are based on two factors.

Expressing this mathematically-

Decision = Constant_A (Environmental effects) + Constant_B (Cost and Price)

The problem with this kind of equation is that someone has to determine Constant_A.

And that ain't gonna be you.

You are welcome to determine Consant_A for one person.

Yourself.  Attempts to determine it for others is a defacto environmental power trip.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 10:12:18 PM

Actually, the goal is to protect the environment. It's not about controlling people to have a power trip.

It's the immediate and short-term harm done to others during this "protecting the environment" that pisses people off. It's one thing to try to treat the situation gently, and take that harm into consideration and minimize it (maybe even providing compensation.) It's when you dismiss all that and callously tell them "either take Environment 101 & 102 minimum, or shut up and let me dictate your life" that you're going to get backlash. And regardless of your goal, at that point, yeah, it IS about controlling people, even if not for a power trip. It's about controlling them "to save humanity/the planet."

And if the fallback goal (after "education" fails) is to try to control people for the good of the planet, that's a message that environmental activists really, really need to take seriously and try to sell better. Frankly, according to this study most of them should stop their continuing research into environmental issues and start taking lessons in public relations; the cost/benefit analysis for the latter is much more favorable for them at this point.

They don't care how it benefits society as a whole.

If it doesn't provide them or their descendants at least some benefit, long-term or otherwise, then why should they care?

Any proposal that won't ever provide them or their loved ones and descendants some benefit (even if it's just an objectively "better world") is a scam, an attempt to coerce them into doing something to their detriment just so some stranger you think is suitable can benefit. (EDIT: And again, because I suspect it needs to be said, we're not talking about polluting others' property, we're talking about what they do on *their own land*.)

If the proposal does provide some benefit, then you don't need to talk about "the benefit to society as a whole." Talk about the benefit to them. Suddenly, you're actually focusing on the individual people involved, and you might actually get some positive feedback and wind up motivating them.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 11:48:32 PM

This article seems highly relevant to this. Seems I'm learning a bit through the course of the thread myself; after all, I'll be one of the first to sigh and admit that I just wish people were perfectly rational creatures....

The Backfire Effect shows why you can't use facts to win an argument

It's short enough that it's worth the read. Also, some of the comments are worth the read too:

Between this, Cognitive Dissonance, and Dunbar's Number/Monkeyspheres, we have sufficient science and evidence to make it clear that there is no salvaging our governmental system.

Bucky was right, we need to make this whole mess obsolete.

The pic that followed:

FirstAscent

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 02:55:47 AM

That's neat. In the interim, remember this:

- You can remain ignorant and deferential
- You can get knowledgeable and stay deferential because it makes sense
- You can get knowledgeable and be rebellious with a point
- You cannot remain ignorant and be rebellious and have much of a point

So far, I see a lot of defense of remaining ignorant and being rebellious.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 05:17:18 PM

Next you'll be lecturing on how we need carbon taxes.  On how they are "good for us".  And on how high electric costs and high gasoline costs are "good for us".

Smiley
westkybitcoins
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 10:13:22 PM

"Being rebellious?" Wow.

You aren't even aware of how far gone you are, are you?

Anyhow, ignoring the phrase in the middle of it, your fourth point is still wrong, and in a very revealing way. You can remain ignorant of what Mardi Gras is and how it impacts the New Orleans economy and crime rate and still have perfectly valid concerns for why having a city-wide, all-ages Midnight Curfew Bill in New Orleans is a bad idea. Your statements above simply miss the boat if directed toward people resisting such a bill, and in the context of most environmental proposals, they likewise fall flat.

People don't have to share your fundamental values or educational background to speak to issues that directly affect them. That you think it does shows a pretty flagrant disregard for the opinions and legitimate concerns (and, really, the lives) of others you consider lesser than you.

Still, that's for free. You're actually to the point of using the term "rebellious," as if it's the people being affected by the actions of environmental activists that are "rebels." Even if your first language isn't English, I think that says quite enough.

Time to use your Ignore button.

Interjekcion

Activity: 26

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 10:24:34 PM

Make sure you add vegans in the title too. 8 times out of ten, vegans you meet are annoying.  Angry
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 10:42:33 PM

In one, the participants—228 Americans recruited via Amazon’s Mechanical Turk—

So a self-selected sample of basement-dwelling neckbeards who have no jobs so are willing to work for pennies an hour on that ridiculous Turk thing.  I stopped reading right there.
FirstAscent

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 01:31:32 AM

"Being rebellious?" Wow.

You aren't even aware of how far gone you are, are you?

Anyhow, ignoring the phrase in the middle of it, your fourth point is still wrong, and in a very revealing way. You can remain ignorant of what Mardi Gras is and how it impacts the New Orleans economy and crime rate and still have perfectly valid concerns for why having a city-wide, all-ages Midnight Curfew Bill in New Orleans is a bad idea. Your statements above simply miss the boat if directed toward people resisting such a bill, and in the context of most environmental proposals, they likewise fall flat.

People don't have to share your fundamental values or educational background to speak to issues that directly affect them. That you think it does shows a pretty flagrant disregard for the opinions and legitimate concerns (and, really, the lives) of others you consider lesser than you.

Still, that's for free. You're actually to the point of using the term "rebellious," as if it's the people being affected by the actions of environmental activists that are "rebels." Even if your first language isn't English, I think that says quite enough.

Time to use your Ignore button.

I guess when you don't know much, what comes out of your mouth is this drivel. As I said, you're just ignorant of the topic, so you try and sound like you've got something to say.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: