Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:22:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why only BitcoinJ?  (Read 3016 times)
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 11:57:05 PM

http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/

With "Scripting Layer for Android (SL4A)" what stops the Python and Perl hackers from doing it their own way?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 02:08:20 PM

There's also libbitcoin, which aims to rewrite bitcoin, make it super-pluggable, very easy to do and hack everything at every level, and very configurable:
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30646.0
https://gitorious.org/libbitcoin/libbitcoin

And don't forget justmoon's javascript bitcoin which is based off of BitcoinJ:
https://github.com/justmoon/node-bitcoin-p2p/
nightwolf

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 06:46:10 AM

There's also libbitcoin, which aims to rewrite bitcoin, make it super-pluggable, very easy to do and hack everything at every level, and very configurable:
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30646.0
https://gitorious.org/libbitcoin/libbitcoin

And don't forget justmoon's javascript bitcoin which is based off of BitcoinJ:
https://github.com/justmoon/node-bitcoin-p2p/

So can libbitcoin be plugged into iOS? Sorry for sounding like a n00b. Clearly, BitCoinJ can't be easily integrated in XCode. I heard C# lib can be linked into XCode but didn't come across any stackoverflow suggestions that show examples of it. 
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 06:55:22 AM

maybe it's crazy, but would it be possible to make the bitcoin software entirely with PHP?

i don't mean RPC to bitcoind, i mean actually do everything within PHP code?
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 08:16:01 AM

maybe it's crazy, but would it be possible to make the bitcoin software entirely with PHP?

That is crazy... PHP sucks for security and is very hard to get properly stable for non-trivial projects.

I would think that a full python implementation of bitcoin would be best for web-hosting.

One off NP-Hard.
payb.tc

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 10:14:11 AM

That is crazy... PHP sucks for security and is very hard to get properly stable for non-trivial projects.

I would think that a full python implementation of bitcoin would be best for web-hosting.

okay so if we establish that it's crazy and we establish that python is 'best', can i still assume the answer to my question is that it's possible?

i seem to remember seeing *some* parts of the bitcoin code done in php, like address validation, etc.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 10:28:37 AM

okay so if we establish that it's crazy and we establish that python is 'best', can i still assume the answer to my question is that it's possible?

i seem to remember seeing *some* parts of the bitcoin code done in php, like address validation, etc.

As C++ and PHP are close, yes it's possible
But I don't think some parts of the bitcoin client are in PHP

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 11:05:37 AM

I think he means that some functions of the bitcoin client are implemented with php, not that the bitcoin client itself is implemented in php.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
payb.tc

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 11:05:45 AM

no, not the 'default' client. i just mean some parts of it have been translated to php.

one area though where i'm not sure how it would work: connecting to other nodes and listening for incoming traffic.

manipulation of keys/addressses/transactions would probably be the easy part.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 11:11:43 AM

1.) C++ and php are close? what?
2.) closeness to C++ is irrelevant. Bitcoin client can be implemented in any turing-complete language.
3.) afaik, no part of the official bitcoin client are written in php

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
payb.tc

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 01:00:13 PM

I think he means that some functions of the bitcoin client are implemented with php, not that the bitcoin client itself is implemented in php.

i just meant some parts had been *re-written* in php... see here for a great example: http://pastebin.com/vmRQC7ha (code by theymos)
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 05:43:32 PM

i just meant some parts had been *re-written* in php... see here for a great example: http://pastebin.com/vmRQC7ha (code by theymos)

That's what I meant you meant. Oh, what a mess!

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 07:49:25 PM

Wait, why would you want a full Bitcoin node running in PHP?

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 09:49:38 PM

Because of the shared hosting plans. Hosting with access only to PHP on the back end are by far the cheapest and most popular. This wouldn't require a total implementation in PHP. The alternative is that libbitcoin will become a reality and will start getting configured into the PHP engines by the various hosting providers.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
payb.tc

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 01:06:35 AM

Because of the shared hosting plans.

no personally i just want one because i can look at php and see what's going on, and would be able to customize everything. c++ on the other hand and i'm lost.

Plus i think that if it's possible, it's probably inevitable Smiley (just to see that it works, out of curiousity).
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 01:23:05 AM

i can look at php and see what's going on, and would be able to customize everything.
Nobody's going to allow you to modify the bitcoin code on a shared hosting plan. You'll get a nice high-performance interface (FCGI/shared memory), a private wallet.dat equivalent and a shared block-chain storage and networking peer. If the libbitcoin guys won't screw up the wallet.dat will have an option of being receive only with no storage of the private keys. It will allow only receiving payments as a security measure for the shared hosting.

This is how all the PHP engines evolved: you'll get a thin wrapper and an immense choice of under-the-hood modules that are written in C/C++ and not really modifiable in any way from the level of PHP. This is both the strength and the weakness of PHP. Just scroll all the way down on your phpinfo(); read it again and you'll understand what I'm saying.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
payb.tc

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:24:49 AM

i can look at php and see what's going on, and would be able to customize everything.
Nobody's going to allow you to modify the bitcoin code on a shared hosting plan.
perhaps you're not really talking to me, but i was saying i could customize everything NOT on a shared hosting plan.

g, i'm not having very good luck communicating in this thread am i? Smiley
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 03:11:17 AM

perhaps you're not really talking to me, but i was saying i could customize everything NOT on a shared hosting plan.

g, i'm not having very good luck communicating in this thread am i? Smiley
It really doesn't matter if the hosting plan is shared or dedicated. The economies of scale work the same in both cases. Its just that with the shared plan the economy of scale is more obvious. In case of the dedicated hosting it becomes more of an issue of potential bandwidth/protocol abuse after incorrect modification.

Take for example the PDO layer. It was originally written in PHP with a dependency on PCRE. PHP web developers couldn't restrain themselves and were making modifications that completely destroyed one of the original reasons of developing PDO: prepared SQL statements. Finally the PHP engine developers wrapped the PDO in a black box and prevented the average PHP website programmers from sticking their fingers deep into the gearbox.

The same problem could occur with Bitcoin protocol. By putting up a higher barrier for tinkerers the libbitcoin engine developers are hoping to maintain overall consistency and safety of the Bitcoin network that depends on the correct operation of majority of the peers.

Look, PHP is not a language for tinkerers. It is a bumper car designed to have quick, innocent and safe fun. If you are into tinkering then you aren't a target PHP audience. Switch to Perl,Python,Ruby,Java,C# or whatever else. PHP is the leaning tree that any goat can climb on.

I think you are communicating very clearly. Maybe its a problem of my dialectic. I use "you" not to mean "you personally" but "you and other primarily-PHP developers that I could envision as working on such a project".

And don't think that I'm trying to slander PHP and its users. Almost everything what I said above will be true if you substitute ASP for PHP. Except that in the case of ASP Microsoft had enough forethought to develop DAO and ADO abstraction layers from the very beginning.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 07:31:09 AM

Nobody's going to allow you to modify the bitcoin code on a shared hosting plan. You'll get a nice high-performance interface (FCGI/shared memory), a private wallet.dat equivalent and a shared block-chain storage and networking peer. If the libbitcoin guys won't screw up the wallet.dat will have an option of being receive only with no storage of the private keys. It will allow only receiving payments as a security measure for the shared hosting.

This is how all the PHP engines evolved: you'll get a thin wrapper and an immense choice of under-the-hood modules that are written in C/C++ and not really modifiable in any way from the level of PHP. This is both the strength and the weakness of PHP. Just scroll all the way down on your phpinfo(); read it again and you'll understand what I'm saying.

Interestingly I'm currently thinking about a different solution to this problem (accepting payment on website), that doesn't involve a bitcoin client at all:
  • generate a load of addresses in advance using vanitygen
  • put the public part (address) into db on webserver to give to users as payment addresses
  • check payment reception using blockexplorer.com/q/getreceivedbyaddress
  • keep private keys somewhere else, import as needed into wallet using sipa:showwallet patch (importprivkey)

EDIT: forgot to ask for comments on this idea? Is it workable? Anyone see a problem with this approach?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
payb.tc

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 07:46:06 AM

Interestingly I'm currently thinking about a different solution to this problem (accepting payment on website), that doesn't involve a bitcoin client at all:
  • generate a load of addresses in advance using vanitygen
  • put the public part (address) into db on webserver to give to users as payment addresses
  • check payment reception using blockexplorer.com/q/getreceivedbyaddress
  • keep private keys somewhere else, import as needed into wallet using sipa:showwallet patch (importprivkey)

EDIT: forgot to ask for comments on this idea? Is it workable? Anyone see a problem with this approach?

sounds like a great way to *receive* payments, i wonder what similar lengths one could go to to *send* payments without running a bitcoin client.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: