Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:41:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Let Wikipedia know, that we are here!  (Read 4720 times)
lenny_ (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

DARKNETMARKETS.COM

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 10:35:43 AM

Wikipedia AGAIN, as every year, is asking for donations.

https://donate.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:FundraiserLandingPage&utm_source=donate
From Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales

Wikipedia is the #5 site on the web and serves 500 million different people every month – with billions of page views.

Commerce is fine. Advertising is not evil. But it doesn't belong here. Not in Wikipedia.

Wikipedia is something special. It is like a library or a public park. It is like a temple for the mind. It is a place we can all go to think, to learn, to share our knowledge with others.

When I founded Wikipedia, I could have made it into a for-profit company with advertising banners, but I decided to do something different. We’ve worked hard over the years to keep it lean and tight. We fulfill our mission efficiently.

If everyone reading this donated £3, our fundraiser would be done within an hour. But not everyone can or will donate. And that's fine. Each year just enough people decide to give.

This year, please consider making a donation of £5, £20, £50 or whatever you can to protect and sustain Wikipedia.

Thanks,

Jimmy Wales
Wikipedia Founder

Let Wikipedia know, that We, Bitcoin users, are here! We would like to donate to Wikipedia using our worldwide, digital currency - Bitcoin.

Please, everyone, send an e-mail to donate@wikimedia.org, and ask them if they accepting Bitcoin donations.
Who knows, one day, maybe they will reconsider it and start accepting it. Whole world will notice!

Everyone who will send them an e-mail, please write in this thread.

Good luck! Smiley

DARKNET MARKETS >> https://DARKNETMARKETS.COM
hivewallet

Activity: 378
Merit: 325

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 10:44:02 AM

Good point. Mail sent.

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 10:47:32 AM

Done!  Wink

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 10:52:34 AM

id donate with btc, cbf donating with a cc or paypal
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 10:55:02 AM

Emailed them my thoughts
george51

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:03:11 AM

I have also emailed them. I would donate with BTC
poochone

Activity: 361
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 01:43:57 PM

emailed them yesterday lets see

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 01:46:33 PM

If they want donations, then they should accept bitcoins. If they don't, then well i suppose they don't really needs donations from us  Smiley

Maciek

Activity: 254
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 02:51:51 PM

+1
Very good idea!
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 02:54:46 PM

Great idea!!!
If we got Wikipedia running soley on Bitcoin funds, We could probobly consider it to be "The bitcoin powered encyclopedia, Wikipedia!"
Funded by the people, For the people!

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 03:01:15 PM
Last edit: October 08, 2013, 03:45:02 PM by Akka

Please only write to companies if you really plan to donate to them and not just if want more exposure for Bitcoin.

If they accept Bitcoin due to 1000th of mails from Bitcoiners and then receive like 10 Donations that would do more bad than good.

Also write only if you would only send BTC more than once. reviving some BTC and than never again would be almost equally bad.

BTW, there are cool Projects and causes that deserve to be supported that already accept BTC. Yet it looks rather poorly what they actually receive.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
maxmint

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 03:08:39 PM

We could get proactive and create a bitcoin donation address for them. John K. or some other reputable forum member could held the donated bitcoins in escrow until Wikimedia officially accepts bitcoins. If there is a decent amount of bitcoins in the donation address it might convince them in the end.

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 03:09:21 PM

We could get proactive and create a bitcoin donation address for them. John K. or some other reputable forum member could held the donated bitcoins in escrow until Wikimedia officially accepts bitcoins. If there is a decent amount of bitcoins in the donation address it might convince them in the end.

That already happened. Several times. The results were..... lackluster.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 03:16:27 PM

When are you guys going to stop stalking wikipedia about accepting Bitcoins?
This is getting ridiculous. 3 years of ridiculous stalking...
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 03:37:32 PM

I thought they only did fund drives once a year. Now, it seems like it's every quarter, if not more.
hivewallet

Activity: 378
Merit: 325

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 03:45:13 PM

Why should we stop? For god's sake we're offering to give them money.

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 03:48:25 PM

For god's sake, they already said they know about Bitcoin and that they don't want Bitcoins.
Stop stalking. If you really want to give them money you should use whatever payment system they accept 'cause if you don't, then it's not money you want to give them, you just want to promote Bitcoin and increase you own wealth.
lenny_ (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1036

DARKNETMARKETS.COM

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 04:22:11 PM

Great idea!!!
If we got Wikipedia running soley on Bitcoin funds, We could probobly consider it to be "The bitcoin powered encyclopedia, Wikipedia!"
Funded by the people, For the people!

I have nothing else to add. Competely agree. Let's free Wikipedia from being dependant on these credit cards and greedy PayPal donations! Bitcoin is great option for such open project - which is free knowledge, gathered these by all generations and nations all over the world, all at one place - Wikipedia!

DARKNET MARKETS >> https://DARKNETMARKETS.COM
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 04:44:52 PM

done.

stupid that they dont have it already  Roll Eyes

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 04:47:09 PM

For god's sake, they already said they know about Bitcoin and that they don't want Bitcoins.
Stop stalking. If you really want to give them money you should use whatever payment system they accept 'cause if you don't, then it's not money you want to give them, you just want to promote Bitcoin and increase you own wealth.

What is the problem if I only use bitcoin for online payments and I want to give them a donation? Of course I will ask them. Again and again. Period.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: