Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:18:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bricked RX 570  (Read 481 times)
tvrsh (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 09:30:36 AM

I had a similar experience with my XFX 290 reference series. Hot air gun has brought back my XFX 290 to live. Covering other part using aluminum foil except for a card processor, heat it using Hot Air Gun with a distance between 50cm and temperature 300 degrees (Celcius). My hot air gun has two different temperature (300 and 600). (this is the last thing you can do). If your card still under warranty, just RMA it.

am playing around with this bios card using Hawaii bios editor causing this card dying.  Angry

Did you ever figure out what caused this? Maybe in my case it had something to do with two of the same cards with different bioses being booted?

One thing I actually forgot to mention before was that the riser this card was connected to wasn't working (no lights flashing and the card wasn't detected in windows). Could a faulty riser somehow damage a GPU?

Looks like I'll be RMA'ing this card. First time I've ever had to RMA anything, and it's been quite a headache.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Geraldo

Activity: 588
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 09:43:55 AM

Did you ever figure out what caused this?
In my case, Am just playing around with my R9 bios then am doing something wrong I think.

Maybe in my case it had something to do with two of the same cards with different bioses being booted?
It can be. You do the right way to mod your bios card. But may massive OC causing it or else there something wrong with the electricity, loose socket riser when mounted on PCIe that causes friction, also can break your card.

Looks like I'll be RMA'ing it.
Good choice.
tvrsh (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 07:15:52 AM

So it looks like the card is powering up now. The LED light is on and the fans are spinning at full speed but the card is still not detected. Given this info, is there anything else I should try before RMA'ing?

I've tried connecting different risers to the card, connecting it directly into the PCI slot, change the PSU leads to the card, flipping the bios switch back and forth, but none of that has worked.
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 07:40:53 AM

So it looks like the card is powering up now.

Good progress.

The LED light is on and the fans are spinning at full speed but the card is still not detected.

Fans spinning at 100% means the card is not detected and Power On Self Test on your rig didn't finish.
Try this few steps:

Resetting your CMOS
Remove your RAM and Plug it again.
Remove your card then plug it again (better put it directly to PCIe 16X socket)

Then tried to boot again using your card.
huntingthesnark

Activity: 357
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2018, 08:11:22 AM
Merited by Geraldo (1)

If you're certain it's bricked and next step is RMA, then try the paper clip trick. Scary, but worked on mine (flashed the wrong bios)...

For the latest Crypto news and alts info check out https://coinsjar.info/
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 08:22:33 AM

If you're certain it's bricked and next step is RMA, then try the paper clip trick. Scary, but worked on mine (flashed the wrong bios)...

Oh yeah, 1+8 method right.  Wink
But may OP card still under warranty, better didn't do physical tweak.
chandrarahmadewa

Activity: 308
Merit: 49

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 01:49:14 PM
Merited by Geraldo (1)

This method used jumper method, connecting a foot IC chip number one and eight. Number one is the one under a small hole in the IC. And number eight is at the opposite end of the number one when we draw a slash of the number one.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 03:49:54 PM

This method used jumper method, connecting a foot IC chip number one and eight. Number one is the one under a small hole in the IC. And number eight is at the opposite end of the number one when we draw a slash of the number one.

one question, Is the jumper should be connected when powering up GPU? I have one dead RX480 reference card and will probably try this out
chandrarahmadewa

Activity: 308
Merit: 49

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 04:11:44 PM

one question, Is the jumper should be connected when powering up GPU? I have one dead RX480 reference card and will probably try this out

Would be good if you want to try this method, And please give us an update after.

Follow this:
https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/9443/bricked-your-rx-480-due-to-bad-flash
huntingthesnark

Activity: 357
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2018, 04:43:01 PM

Yeah. Requires about 6 hands, but you bridge those two poles with a paperclip or similar (I used a stiff wire), then boot. Obviously, you expect an explosion and smoke, but when you get the contact correct it boots up and you can then reflash the correct stock bios. Loads of tutorials online, but it did work for me...

For the latest Crypto news and alts info check out https://coinsjar.info/
tvrsh (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 11:10:17 PM

So it looks like the card is powering up now.

Good progress.

The LED light is on and the fans are spinning at full speed but the card is still not detected.

Fans spinning at 100% means the card is not detected and Power On Self Test on your rig didn't finish.
Try this few steps:

Resetting your CMOS
Remove your RAM and Plug it again.
Remove your card then plug it again (better put it directly to PCIe 16X socket)

Then tried to boot again using your card.

I've tried this but it still isn't working.
tvrsh (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 11:22:54 PM

My card is still under warranty, so I'd rather not try this.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 12:45:05 AM

tried this, totally not worked on my reference card, It seems its really dead, already sent to my supplier for warranties and guess what, they don't ask if its modded or not.. Lol Grin
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 04:43:58 AM

Good choice.

tried this, totally not worked on my reference card, It seems its really dead, already sent to my supplier for warranties and guess what, they don't ask if its modded or not.. Lol Grin

You are the lucky man.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: