Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 07:10:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens with my crypto when I die?  (Read 2980 times)
zainhaider

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 06:57:29 PM

When I see that bitcoins have not been affected for more than 5 years on purses, I have the idea that their owners died and did not give their personal keys. I think this is to reduce the supply on the market.
tunapa

Activity: 667
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 07:46:25 PM

This is really not a concern for the general community. Maybe we will see a new platform that will use the blockchain technology you secure our funds so our generations can have access to them after death. But I think cryptocurrency so far has dome well you ensure everyone takes care of their funds themselves in all realms. Keep your wallet  details safe and pass it on to your family members or offspring so they can have access to it if death occurs anytime sooner or later.
Lecam

Activity: 700
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 07:52:46 PM

Silly question right? Smiley
Unless there is a backup method or heritage system it obviously vanishes for eternity, but the point was to discover methods that you are aware for avoiding such risks.

Well, it's not a risk, it's a certainty, but there are other risks of losing access to the crypto account aswell.
Some like:
* death... obviously
* house burns down along with hard wallet
* one can accidently loose his cold storage or hard wallet
* maybe other you figure out and I add them

So, what storage do you use to ensure your savings, or what do you think would be the best solution to overcome these risks?

UPDATE: I started this discusion because I can't see a decentralized solution for that, most of the centralized ones are largely known (wills at layers, online wallets and so on) but do not meet the security criteria as still imply a trusted party. Better simply handover the private key directly to the inheritant IMO.

What I want to determine is if it IS realy a concern for the comunity or not, and if yes than we can contribute all together to the creation of a such product. But again I realy do think it should be built decentralized and trustless.
Always keep your back up wallets safe and your private key or any thing that could access your wallet in one place ,
For house burn down you could always save something before it gets totally burn out so you could at least save some important things in your hard drive or USB sticks .
callmeback

Activity: 182
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 08:00:59 PM

But I think cryptocurrency so far has dome well you ensure everyone takes care of their funds themselves in all realms. Keep your wallet  details safe and pass it on to your family members or offspring so they can have access to it if death occurs anytime sooner or later. The problem with cryptocurrency is very fast, the world so I think it in this era of the future, tell you have to be one. The best for you have To say, and other information that they belong in your savings and other information. Or it can be hold. What happens when you die the tokens in the unfortunate event of death you could wroght down a will with instructions.
zolfa

Activity: 518
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 08:08:34 PM

hacking is also a problem that can happen and we will lose access because of hackers.

I do not find the safest way except by using a hard wallet like ledger, ledger offers excellent security to us. double lock and privacy key are stored very well.

my wife already knows all my crypto account and password, so I do not worry where my crypto should go after death.
Shiversnow

Activity: 688
Merit: 106

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 08:15:45 PM

Because you are your own bank then you have to put in a provision that in the event of any of the above ,then you have a way to recover your funds.
Death - if is a significant amount then you can always make a back up with a will and a solicitor will execute your wishes .
Fire - keep a back up some other place than your house
Loss - again you can make backups

I agree with this opinion, if you do have a large amount of value in the world crypto, you should make a backup, and keep it all in a safe place, better if you have a lawyer and you just set it all as you wish if one day things you do not want to happen, like death may be, so your lawyer will then give you all your account data to who is entitled to receive it, just like your family.
this is just my opinion
Yes, it's better have lawyer to set all your assets in bitcoin. Make a letter to your family or relatives  of what they need to do in your account in bitcoin. In that kind of will it make your account safe and I think your relatives make prooud of you cause you trust them to continue your investment in bitcoin.
Aneuk paloh kambuek

Activity: 87

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 08:19:20 PM

The death of a cripto purse user would do the amount of bitcoin assets reduced from the large amount, because bitcoins are created with finite numbers.
So without inheriting the key of your wallet then your assets disappear / can not be taken by others, therefore avoid the causes that make his password forget, there are good love people know key to people you trust, like family.
ParveZ219

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 07:08:39 AM

Unless there is a backup method or heritage system it obviously vanishes for eternity, but the point was to discover methods that you are aware for avoiding such risks.

Well, it's not a risk, it's a certainty, but there are other risks of losing access to the crypto account aswell.
Some like:
* death... obviously

So, what storage do you use to ensure your savings, or what do you think would be the best solution to overcome these risks?

UPDATE: I started this discusion because I can't see a decentralized solution for that, most of the centralized ones are largely known (wills at layers, online wallets and so on) but do not meet the security criteria as still imply a trusted party. Better simply handover the private key directly to the inheritant IMO.

What I want to determine is if it IS realy a concern for the comunity or not, and if yes than we can contribute all together to the creation of a such product. But again I realy do think it should be built decentralized and trustless.
Your crypto will be yours only cause no one can transfer your assets without private key or access to your wallet so if you share with any of your close one they can save that.
iellai

Activity: 280

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2018, 07:40:35 AM

Death is inevitable. We cannot do anything about it. Maybe have someone you trust and know about cryptoworld knows about what and whom you want to give it when you die. Make a backup copy somewhere else. Maybe do your last will and testaments already. Backup even hard or softcopy is a big help in cases like this.
Farahtenan

Activity: 420

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 08:23:20 AM

If you die that will happen to the cryptocurrency you have also no one will be able to pick it up. Unless you've already told your private key to someone closest to you so your treasure in crypto can be used for your family. At least there is one person who knows about your personal things.
mkcube

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 08:25:58 AM

If you die, i think no one couldever happen to to pick it up. Unless youve already told your private key to some one or to your family members that treasure your crypto . I think there should at keast one of your family know your personal things so that if there is happening for you, there is some ine who can help.
yasuo632

Activity: 90

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 08:37:35 AM

if your relatives know that you are investing in a crypto currency, take care in advance to give them access to your wallet, otherwise your crypt will simply sink into the abyss after your death.
Need to leave a will, otherwise the wallet will be lost,
Because Bitcoin's price at the time of arrival will definitely reach an incredible price.
So these preparations must be done well.
sumanto

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 08:40:49 AM

it seems that what will happen with the cryptocurrency you have when you die is probably the cryptocurrency you have will be a treasure which means no one can take the bitcoin you have because access is only for you who know.
gpamfmcq

Activity: 160

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 08:41:45 AM

This is a silly question. If you die, your wallet will remain in the network forever. You end up giving back the backup documents to the person you trust most, so that your wealth can be passed on to him.
auliani2000aa

Activity: 54

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 08:57:50 AM

according to us The best way is to explain to family members about Bitcoin currency or direct them basic ideas what is Bitcoin currency and how to operate transactions in Bitcoin. If you get the amount of currency is very high, then you must prepare a power of attorney or distribute your Bitcoin currency to family members.
electronus

Activity: 231

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 09:00:45 AM

Bitcoin is a virtual form of money that is protected from hacking and theft using cryptographic methods. On the one hand, this increases the safety when storing money. On the other hand, there is a risk of losing bitcoins if their owner dies. There is a chance that a huge fortune in digital coins will be lost to the family forever. This is the problem of most relatives of technically gifted and progressive-minded holders of crypto-currencies. And this market has tens of billions of US dollars. so you need to hedge and leave all your relatives with keys.
OrangeII

Activity: 2128
Merit: 503

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 09:05:34 AM

maybe it will be stored in your wallet forever, but I do not know. we do not know that. even people who lost their wallet, still have bitcoin inside the wallet. maybe it will be an investment forever.

.SWG.io.

..Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15..

..Buy Now..

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
..CONFIRMED..

neya

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 09:12:24 AM

Nothing will happen it will.be stired in your wallet forever.so before that happen why not try to share youre private key to one member of your family so that even you died they have access.pick someone whom your trust much.

TRUEPLAY.io
TRANSPARENT AND HONEST GAMBLING PLATFORM ♣ PRE-SALE STARTS 15th APR, 2018 ♠ 30% DISCOUNT
sitebounty ann thread  ♠ wallet
marcbitcoins

Activity: 854
Merit: 108

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 09:32:11 AM

Some like:
* death... obviously

With these above probable causes then the future of our coins will be probably will be become useless if not properly pass to our loves ones. What i did is i created a soft copies to a USB of my coins complete details like the accounts and passwords, private keys, wallet addresses with details and a complete guide on how to transact deposit and withdrawal which hidden in our secret vault in which my wife and children are instructed well just in case. I don't want my hard earned coins will be useless if i'm gone so this is much better than not preparing.
margaret22

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 09:35:56 AM

It is your responsibility to make sure, someone will have access to your crypto, if something happened to you. Probably it is better to give the info to someone trusted, and knowledge of cryptos, than to the ones, you actualy would want to give, but have no idea what to do with it.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  

Jump to: