Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:55:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens with my crypto when I die?  (Read 2980 times)
avoxosuccesful

Activity: 252
Merit: 3

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 06:49:40 AM

funny u planing on die-ing any time soon lol. but i think there's an online wallet i mean thats why we got it. or you intrust your private key to someone close to you or your next of kin. so he/she continues from were you stopped with the success. the only way u'll become successor is by helping someone. so if u feel like dieing?help someone
feny.blackpink

Activity: 196
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 12:54:22 PM

unless you give other peoples such as family or relatives your private keys or passwords or any other your wallet informations, your wallet will sit remain.
No one can move your balance, even the bitcoin dev. Therefore, you must backup your wallet information in some place and let your family members know about it.
12tribes

Activity: 378
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 01:13:16 PM

We all die. When we will die, we do not know. However, we need to put certain measures in place to make sure we can pass on to another person, the coins we have in our wallet, whether hot or cold. It s imperative that the needful be done before it happens. Think out carefully a plan.

Gummybear67

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 01:38:22 PM

Silly question right? Smiley
Unless there is a backup method or heritage system it obviously vanishes for eternity, but the point was to discover methods that you are aware for avoiding such risks.

Well, it's not a risk, it's a certainty, but there are other risks of losing access to the crypto account aswell.
Some like:
* death... obviously
* house burns down along with hard wallet
* one can accidently loose his cold storage or hard wallet
* maybe other you figure out and I add them

So, what storage do you use to ensure your savings, or what do you think would be the best solution to overcome these risks?

UPDATE: I started this discusion because I can't see a decentralized solution for that, most of the centralized ones are largely known (wills at layers, online wallets and so on) but do not meet the security criteria as still imply a trusted party. Better simply handover the private key directly to the inheritant IMO.

What I want to determine is if it IS realy a concern for the comunity or not, and if yes than we can contribute all together to the creation of a such product. But again I realy do think it should be built decentralized and trustless.
A silly question it is but a good one too, well no can predict the day of their death but the only thing we can do is to make sure that our money is secured and always have a back up.
missyqt29

Activity: 434
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 02:01:00 PM

Silly question right? Smiley
Unless there is a backup method or heritage system it obviously vanishes for eternity, but the point was to discover methods that you are aware for avoiding such risks.

Well, it's not a risk, it's a certainty, but there are other risks of losing access to the crypto account aswell.
Some like:
* death... obviously
* house burns down along with hard wallet
* one can accidently loose his cold storage or hard wallet
* maybe other you figure out and I add them

So, what storage do you use to ensure your savings, or what do you think would be the best solution to overcome these risks?

UPDATE: I started this discusion because I can't see a decentralized solution for that, most of the centralized ones are largely known (wills at layers, online wallets and so on) but do not meet the security criteria as still imply a trusted party. Better simply handover the private key directly to the inheritant IMO.

What I want to determine is if it IS realy a concern for the comunity or not, and if yes than we can contribute all together to the creation of a such product. But again I realy do think it should be built decentralized and trustless.

No man is an island. This industry really has many solo players in the field but I think those who have form teams are in greater advantage as long ass their party wouldn't have any internal dispute in finance and other related issues. Working alone has that risk  of you shoulder everything and no one will back you up if things go sideways. Working with someone increases the rate of your account not being lost.
deonyx

Activity: 122
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 05:46:29 PM

Everyone knows this is an important discussion as regard how to pass on our digital assets after our life. But while I'm yet to see anything related on that presently, the only possible way would be to treat our crypto assets as a secret possession that we have, probably to have a safe where we can keep the basic info that can grant access to the major passwords and private keys, and then have your will point to who should inherit all that after.
Zigzagkuy

Activity: 384

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 05:50:11 PM

I think it will be stored safely if you die. But before that happens try to negotiate to your family. So if you die then your family can access it and it will not be a waste. Then you will never regret.
Andalusy

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 05:58:30 PM

You should make a plans ahead of time, you can save it in a hardware and just let it know one of your love ones or let our trusted family knowing our wallet and share our private key.  You know we can't foretell our future's of what's gonna happen, if no plan at all with our crypto it will just stay as is in our wallet. Forever
SimpleSwap.io

Activity: 108
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2018, 06:01:07 PM

Maybe she is moving to your balance in the next life?
Ayam1fish

Activity: 90

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 06:07:15 PM

As it stands right now, if I should die today, I don't think anyone will be able to assess my wallet. Those near me don't have any idea about how to open my addresses using my keys. Some will see it and will not know what it is at all, just a mixture of numbers and letters. So am planning of giving my info to my grandmother so that when I pass away all of a sudden then she can reveal it to my siblings.
bright4mech

Activity: 588
Merit: 18

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 06:29:46 PM

Crypto currency still remains and strong, as early stages of many other industrial, or take a look of bank system, at last place of the form, they place of next of kin, therefore it can be applicable by individuals to save the private key to make it available in official way in family.
coly20032003

Activity: 322
Merit: 111

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 08:56:35 PM

If your family also have access to your wallet and key, they can help you manage your crypto currency. If your coin is in exchange and if they have access to your account, I guess it will work as well. Otherwise I cannot think of other way that people can recover your wallet.
Haliburton

Activity: 502
Merit: 118

Liberated Forever. Domesticated Never.

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 12:17:17 AM

Unless you take the time to write your own testament, to assign who gets a share of your crypto balances, they'll be lost if you tell me. Since nobody controls decentralized cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, it's impossible to revert transactions, or recover keys in case of a loss since there's no middleman. That's bad in the sense that none of your family members would be able to get access to your coins if he/she doesn't have access to the private key.

As such, I think that there should be a feature where it could be possible to detect the death of a person and distribute the funds to the owner’s family members. Perhaps it's not possible with Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies which are based on its codebase, but it could be possible with a smart contract. Therefore, you should take the necessary precautions to make your own testament indicating who gets access to your crypto funds and leave them on a safe place where he/she could find it. Smiley

issacwilliam

Activity: 26

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 12:51:51 AM

The crypto on your wallet will still. It will keep alive until someone knows your privatekeys. intrude to your wallet unless you permit to
Pourmeacup

Activity: 34

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 12:56:10 AM

this is an interesting Topic.
I follow! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Awan Awan

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 01:09:04 AM

before I die, I anticipate it first. I will tell my family members about the cryptocurrency I have. I will notify all the included private keys at MEW. so when I die there is my next generation.
I dont expect that i will die for soon because i am still young so i hope my bright future in this cryptocurrency.
We must tell anybody especially family or husband or wife so when we die we are not worry about our asset.
jeffer8035

Activity: 251

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 01:19:59 AM

I think you should explain to someone in your family how it works while you have the private key of the public portfolio and your security that you have aside as the double authenticator that you most certainly have the password to your computer plus the access key to your e-mail plus localbitcoin could give you a pendrai with a direct access to transfer the funds or you would have to experience with an intelligent contract and you have to test yourself how it works and if it is feasible there is an automatic payment that if you do not access your account in 15 days it is automatically sent to a portfolio that you chose

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
setialovers

Activity: 812
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 01:57:24 AM

Better back up our private key on several place, at least 3 places. Beside that, tell our trusted family about our private key just in case. Crypto is the future of investment and at least we left something worth for our family
BennyK

Activity: 672
Merit: 14

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2018, 02:00:52 AM

Cryptocurrency will continue to grow and expand to the corners of the universe. No significant change will happen to the crypto industry unless you die and never told anyone about the login details to your wallet which contains some coins. Perhaps those coins will be locked up forever.

rolerVX

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 02:05:59 AM

I am not to sure how it should be save unless you have back up that you entrusted to your love one's before you died in unexpected day. On that you will save your earnings token and your family can use your hard work and efforteven you are not around still your responsibility is alive.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  

Jump to: