Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 04:54:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gox crashing bitcoin Why not just delete their wallet from the blockchain?  (Read 117 times)
buysolar (OP)

Activity: 125
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:45:40 AM

Gox is crashing the bitcoin price again! Why not just delete their wallet from the blockchain? Or create a forked new bitcoin without them in it?

According to this article the people who had their coins stolen aren't getting back their coins or the current value of the coins and the owners of mt. gox might get the coins instead

https://www.trustnodes.com/2018/03/07/mt-gox-crashed-bitcoin-trustee-sold-bottom-blockchain-data-reveals
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:48:33 AM

I would fully support such action Smiley

but i would say 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% sure it will not happen

charliegengos

Activity: 48
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:51:47 AM

That was a great idea! Smiley
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 10:30:10 AM

because unlike shitcoins such as ethereum, we here in bitcoin believe that it should remain decentralized and immutable and fungible.
rolling back because someone used bitcoin (or any other altcoin or platform like ethereum) the way they are supposed to be used is against all that above.

this may be a harsh thing to hear, an i have lost coins to exchange scams myself but getting scammed is our own fault, there should never be a way to "bail us out" every time someone scams.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
gabdel1

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 10:35:12 AM

Lol, someone who holds a lot of BTC wants to cash out his holdings. Let's delete them.

Do yourself a favour, remove this narcissist topic and go learn how markets work instead of pointing fingers at the wrong people.
Hatcher

Activity: 369
Merit: 111

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 10:38:54 AM

Gox is crashing the bitcoin price again! Why not just delete their wallet from the blockchain? Or create a forked new bitcoin without them in it?

According to this article the people who had their coins stolen aren't getting back their coins or the current value of the coins and the owners of mt. gox might get the coins instead

https://www.trustnodes.com/2018/03/07/mt-gox-crashed-bitcoin-trustee-sold-bottom-blockchain-data-reveals

If someone has bitcoins in their possession, and wishes to sell them, why should they be prohibited from doing so?
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1219

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 11:30:27 AM

If someone has bitcoins in their possession, and wishes to sell them, why should they be prohibited from doing so?
That was exactly my thought. Just a mere 17% holding let go and people are already crying wolf and calling for a kind of punishment? That is ludicrous. Well, I am yet to see any breach of market ethics. So, I should continue to keep a particular stock even when I know I need to offload it? Yes, no doubt that action may have triggered a further dip for the bitcoin. But are we acting like we don't know that Bitcoin is very weak at this time?

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
bug.lady

Activity: 196
Merit: 23

Large scale, green crypto mining ICO

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 12:41:15 PM

because unlike shitcoins such as ethereum, we here in bitcoin believe that it should remain decentralized and immutable and fungible.
rolling back because someone used bitcoin (or any other altcoin or platform like ethereum) the way they are supposed to be used is against all that above.

this may be a harsh thing to hear, an i have lost coins to exchange scams myself but getting scammed is our own fault, there should never be a way to "bail us out" every time someone scams.
I completely agree, and it is not even about ethics anymore: even in Ethereum community there is currently a discussion ongoing on if such bail outs are even legal! So whoever is engaged in that scheme, he/she may find himself in a middle of a massive lawsuit.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 12:44:33 PM

Are you going to do this every time someone sells? Boy, that's a lot of forks.

The only time a fork is justified is when there's an overwhelming threat to Bitcoin's existence. There've been two hard forks because of that. Beyond that everything else is not Bitcoin's problem.

Are you sure you're on the right forum?
quierx16

Activity: 434
Merit: 110

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 01:04:46 PM

what a great idea. Blockchain should delete those who holds a lot of bitcoin. What about someone buying a lot of bitcoin then wait for the price to pump then sell it. It will never happened OMG.

DIAGON  e S p o r t s       Global decentralize eSports ecosystem
JAP CN SPN RU   WHITEPAPER  ]   ICO ❱ ❱  Nov. 12 th
facebook    TWITTER    reddit     ────   (   B U Y   )   ────
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 01:05:07 PM

That's got to be one of the worst ideas I've even heard, do you even know what the consequences of an action like that would be?
You basically have no certainty anymore that the coins you own will not just disappear one day.

Besides, it's a good thing that those coins are being sold. I assume that there will be many buyers, meaning that that huge amount of Bitcoin will be spread pretty thin.
Many smaller whales are better than just a few big ones.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: