Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:30:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which operating system(s) do you use?  (Read 24025 times)
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 12:44:59 AM

linux mint is on my shitlist. can't remember why but it is.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 12:49:07 AM

O. Great explanation. lol.

SquashJ

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 01:04:15 AM

Puppy Linux for my netbook, Arch Linux for my dedicated server, and Windows 7 for my home desktop. Unfortunately I installed Win7 on my desktop in a rush after uninstalling Windows 8 (received this thing from someone else), which left me with a lot of driver issues. Planning to re-install soon, maybe alongside a dual-boot Linux but not sure which distro yet.
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 01:06:38 AM

Windows 8 was very disappointing. More limited than 7 and very confusing interface.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 01:09:15 AM

O. Great explanation. lol.

i think it was either  mint 11 or 13 that had the gparted bug where it would overwrite the mbr, making your drive unbootable. its been so long i can't remember. that being said, i would love i would love to have Elementary os with cinnamon desktop and taskbar. ]the main thing i love about elementary os is how light weight it is and the terminal has a tabbed interface, which i love.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
KonstantinosM

Activity: 1492
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 01:30:33 AM

I've used some linux (ubuntu) , Microsoft (XP, Vista, but mostly 7 pro), I want to learn how to use UNIX systems because they seem to be used a lot by gov. people. What is UNIX about UNIX (horrible pun, I'm aware)?

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 02:02:57 AM

I've used some linux (ubuntu) , Microsoft (XP, Vista, but mostly 7 pro), I want to learn how to use UNIX systems because they seem to be used a lot by gov. people. What is UNIX about UNIX (horrible pun, I'm aware)?

No, it is not a lot by governments, Microsoft gets special deals with governments to push Windows into every box used in government computers all around the world, they go in, invest a couple million in some bullshit to program to teach kids or elderly people using computers and then the got a 70 million, 10 years contract for nearly every machine used in government's computers.

Shit world, I know...

Anyway, I need the lightest distro/configuration you guys can suggest, easy to maintain and updated software, currently running debian jessie, LXDE, very few services, zram, kernel 3.2.0, noatime, preload and all that shit, what can I do more to improve performance even more?

Openbox + tint2? Or some other taskbar? Linux Mint Debian?

dope

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 03:30:35 AM

Anyone have good experience with crunchbang? Thinking about giving that a shot
Mondy

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 06:18:58 AM

android
pear os
ubuntu
windows 8

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 06:35:42 AM

Ubuntu x86_64

reannypleas

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 08:31:59 AM

Ubuntu and Windows XP, wish the programs and games are more compatible with Ubuntu

Baitty

Activity: 532

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 08:58:12 AM

I recently dual booted Unbuntu alongside Windows 7. I'm pleased with ubuntu it's a superb operating system.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 09:33:28 AM

Windows 8 was very disappointing. More limited than 7 and very confusing interface.
Yeesh. I was out at tech-illiterate family members' house yesterday. They got a new laptop, so everything had to be set up for them. I actually had to Google how to shut the fucking thing down. Cheesy
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 09:37:25 AM

Yeesh. I was out at tech-illiterate family members' house yesterday. They got a new laptop, so everything had to be set up for them. I actually had to Google how to shut the fucking thing down. Cheesy

Hahaha! This made my day. Maybe that's why Microsoft™ released Windows 8.1 right away!
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 09:54:11 AM

Hahaha! This made my day. Maybe that's why Microsoft™ released Windows 8.1 right away!
That's not the worst part. For about five minutes, I couldn't figure out how to get to the desktop. I thought they actually forced users to only use what was presented to them in that goofy mobile phone tile display. I tried using Internet Explorer from that tile display, and it pops up some stripped-down always-fullscreen version, and I couldn't figure out how to configure it just to set the damned home page because there's no settings icon or box to click. Then I tried going back to the tile display and right-clicking the IE icon - still no way to configure it. I was about ready to give up within the first five minutes.

When Win8 installs (and again as the lumbering behemoth slowly boots), they have about three different phrases for "getting ready" in the progress report. No percentages, no ETA, just different phases of "readiness." I was laughing a lot yesterday - probably would've been hysterical if I weren't sober. I don't know what the Hell they were thinking when so many users still can't even figure out why the displayed time's wrong when "I thought it's set automatically by the time-keeper." Who would ever think it's a good idea to HIDE information and options in a GUI? Fucking Dwarf Fortress is easier to get a grasp on...

Idunno, though. It was like explaining Bitcoin to someone who's never even used a credit card or online bank, and never took an economics class. "Scott - it's saying our Internet's bad. We only got two bars!" "That's just the router. It doesn't actually indicate the strength of your Internet connection, just your wifi connection to the router." "Scott - you hear me? I said the computer says our Internet ain't no good! You need'ta call them!" They were testing me, man...

ETA: Still in the mood to bitch, so here's one last snippet of conversation yesterday. "So what kinda computer I got?" "Uh, a laptop." "Pssh I know that. I mean is it name-brand or not?" "Well, it's HP, so yeah. Hewlett Packard..."
easynote

Activity: 700

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 11:03:19 AM

I use win8 pro 64bits Cheesy

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
batt01

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 12:18:35 PM

My fav pet peve, when helping someone over the phone. You introduce them to the the
amazing technique of left-click and forever after, anytime you say click, they always have to ask "left or right'.

batt01

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 12:20:06 PM

My fav pet peve, when helping someone over the phone. You introduce them to the the
amazing technique of left-click and forever after, anytime you say click, they always have to ask "left or right'. Apple got it right by only having one button mice. You dont have to confuse people with too many options.

01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 01:19:55 PM

Never tried but there is an opensource software to customize Win8 so it looks more like Win7 or XP. http://www.classicshell.net/
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 01:44:07 PM

Title pretty much says it all. Which operating systems and versions/distros do you use?

Proud RealityOSTM user here... it's full of bugs and security holes but has zero latency and is 100% free open source (although the source is difficult to understand).

(Currently setting up TinyCore Linux.)

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: