Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:44:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which operating system(s) do you use?  (Read 24015 times)
rampalija

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 12:13:11 AM

How many ppl uses linux for HOME use   not for servers or such stuff?!

I use it for "home use" for about 12 years now, more tech savvy crowd, like you find in this forum only use linux systems also...

If u take how many are WINDOWS and MAC users, you will see that there are only few % of  linux users in world.  I meand ofr  home use not servers

Sure, there's less % of Bitcoin users, even lesser % of Litecoin users, technology is quite difficult for many people...

you call linux like it is something complicated ?!?!

IT is not, it is ugly and thats all

Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
toy4lov3rs

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 12:57:09 AM

Sure, there's less % of Bitcoin users, even lesser % of Litecoin users, technology is quite difficult for many people...

you call linux like it is something complicated ?!?!

If I could play all games on linux, I would use linux. People have no choice
Make linux compatible with all PC games and Windows is dead OS
philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 12:59:45 AM

You mean, aesthetically ?
CoinGeneral

Activity: 182

The General

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:19:37 AM

Mac IS Linux. Here's my hierarchy on how good the Operating systems are for personal use, yes I've used all of them:

Windows > Mac OS > [Insert 500 other items here] > Linux > Bios Menu > Blue screen of death

Rating of each as a personal computer:
Windows: 10
Mac OS: 8.5
Linux: 1

Windows: Best operating system ever. Has unlimited capabilities if you know what you're doing.

Mac OS: Very good operating system. It is a very easy to use personal computer that has the same software as Windows while offering the same 'open source' strengths as Linux.

Linux: No point in this as a personal computer OS. Mac IS Linux. Same terminal, same commands, same potential, everything is nearly the same except Mac has much better support, usability and stability. For mining and servers though Linux is used a lot, so it's not a bad usage for that. However, as a personal computer, Linux is a no.

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1031

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:33:00 AM

Mac IS Linux. Here's my hierarchy on how good the Operating systems are for personal use, yes I've used all of them:

Windows > Mac OS > [Insert 500 other items here] > Linux > Bios Menu > Blue screen of death

Windows: Best operating system ever. Has unlimited capabilities if you know what you're doing.

Mac OS: Very good operating system. It is a very easy to use personal computer that has the same software as Windows while offering the same 'open source' strengths as Linux.

Linux: No point in this as a personal computer OS. Mac IS Linux. Same terminal, same commands, same potential, everything is nearly the same except Mac has much better support, usability and stability. For mining and servers though Linux is used a lot, so it's not a bad usage for that. However, as a personal computer, Linux is a no.

Sorry sir, you know nothing about what you're talking about.

Start here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA25633

philips

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:59:04 AM

Mac is Linux...really ?
CoinGeneral

Activity: 182

The General

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 03:29:31 AM

Sorry Pedrog, I've used both of them and honestly can't tell any external difference between them as a personal use OS. The only main differences is that Mac can run things like Photoshop while Linux you have to go through Wine, and sometimes that takes days to set up to run properly.

Here other people in a thread that agree with me that there's basically no difference between the two: https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?&t=1852

I'm not saying there's no advantage to using Linux, there is, in servers and mining. I just would not use it as a personal OS, even installing something so basic as 'Flash' for web browsers can take a beginner hours to set up, forget installing something like drivers as the drivers for 2 of my computers were not even available.

Sorry it's just true that OS X is taking over Linux users: http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/08/osx-killed-linux/ . Try it out at an Apple store and use the Mac OS terminal, use some Linux commands, find out they work, play with it more, and voila, you realize it's same thing except you can run Photoshop.

some1

Activity: 364

667 one more than the devil

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 03:42:52 AM

Mac is Linux...really ?

obviously not

philips

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:05:28 AM
Last edit: November 27, 2013, 05:52:56 AM by philips

I keep hearing people having trouble setting Photoshop to work in Linux. But the thing is Photoshop should not work in Linux at all. Wine is just a clever compatibility layer.
I am not sure if some people realize that Photoshop is an application designed for Mac and Windows only.
It obviously has to do with the very low market share that Linux has.

Linux is not inferior/superior to other OS, is just a different OS for different people.
Personally I find Linux to be more simple to understand and use because is a transparent OS, and you have access to everything, endlessly versatile and customizable.

So, do I say that Linux is superior because of that? No...not really, all I say is use the system that fits you best.

naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

afk

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 04:06:17 AM

I game on Windows, I run servers with Linux.

philips

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:34:05 AM

Try it out at an Apple store and use the Mac OS terminal, use some Linux commands, find out they work, play with it more, and voila, you realize it's same thing except you can run Photoshop.

The same thing is just apparent, while they do share UNIX commands (common legacy) if you go deeper the similarity ends.

Lambert

Activity: 148

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:51:38 AM

I'm using Windows 7, but I plan on giving Linux a go soon.
philips

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:59:18 AM

Well, if you are satisfied with and already feel at home in W7 I doubt that is worth to go Linux.
But as a curiosity yeah, why not.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 05:01:15 AM

Well, if you are satisfied with and already feel at home in W7 I doubt that is worth to go Linux.
But as a curiosity yeah, why not.

using windows feels so.. vulnerable to me. with all that NSA spying, i prefer to switch to a free-based o/s.. at least part time. im considering the switch to linux, but how complicated is it to use?
maurya78

Activity: 490

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 05:15:31 AM

Windows 7

philips

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 05:21:05 AM

@ Beetcoin
I really cant say...is different from people to people.

If you used Windows for a number of years and you are already heavily accustomed with it, you will find the transition next to impossible.
I have a Win7 installation for gaming and the minute I finish the game I feel the desperate urge to go back to Linux where is warm and comfy Smiley You will feel the same Smiley

It is really not complicated to use, is just...different.

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 05:26:58 AM

@ Beetcoin

If you used Windows for a number of years and you are already heavily accustomed with it, you will find the transition next to impossible.
I have a Win7 installation for gaming and the minute I finish the game I feel the desperate urge to go back to Linux where is warm and comfy Smiley You will feel the same Smiley

i just feel the need to reformat windows once every 4ish months, since it feels so dirty using windows.. knowing all of my doings can be tracked so easily.
philips

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 05:35:57 AM

@ Beetcoin

i just feel the need to reformat windows once every 4ish months, since it feels so dirty using windows.. knowing all of my doings can be tracked so easily.

Well then, the best compromise is to use dual boot.

Keep a Windows installation for whatever apps you don't find in Linux or don't want to use their Linux equivalents, and a Linux installation for everything else.
That will also help the transition (if there is going to be one) and you will have the best of the two worlds.

some1

Activity: 364

667 one more than the devil

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 07:47:17 AM

Imho windows is much more complex than linux.

I mean: look at windows registry... If you understand 20% of it you are  genius!
There's no such obscure things in linux

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1031

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:50:50 PM

Sorry Pedrog, I've used both of them and honestly can't tell any external difference between them as a personal use OS. The only main differences is that Mac can run things like Photoshop while Linux you have to go through Wine, and sometimes that takes days to set up to run properly.

Here other people in a thread that agree with me that there's basically no difference between the two: https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?&t=1852

I'm not saying there's no advantage to using Linux, there is, in servers and mining. I just would not use it as a personal OS, even installing something so basic as 'Flash' for web browsers can take a beginner hours to set up, forget installing something like drivers as the drivers for 2 of my computers were not even available.

Sorry it's just true that OS X is taking over Linux users: http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/08/osx-killed-linux/ . Try it out at an Apple store and use the Mac OS terminal, use some Linux commands, find out they work, play with it more, and voila, you realize it's same thing except you can run Photoshop.

It's not about how to use it, it's about freedom, freedom from spying, freedom from corporate imposed DRMs, freedom to choose.

I barely use proprietary software, not even flash.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: