Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:12:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the loss of confidence in litecoin?  (Read 13806 times)
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 09:14:18 PM

Can anyone confirm to me at $0.10/kWh if mining LTC is starting to get to close to unprofitable?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TracerX

Activity: 918
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 09:18:48 PM

If you trade Alts all day...
And keep an eye on the Chat Box, Whales, and Pumpers...
You get the best information on what's moving coins.

I hate to call you out, but the "Chat Box, Whales and Pumpers" _are_ what moves the coins on an exchange on any given day.  Same as any non-news day on the stock exchange.

LTC has a solid technical difference from BTC, and it has the second largest support infrastructure.  What would cause that, realistically, to change?  Alt-coins, with few exceptions, are clones of BTC or LTC.  Most merchants accept BTC and LTC now, I can't see them wanting to accept 50 different types, even if a payment gateway automates the process.

I'm not dissuaded by troll boxes because I spend my spare time watching what type of actual support is building from merchants and services.  These aspects of any crypto-coin are tenfold more important than the movement of exchanges, and will ultimately reveal what coins become mainstream.  So many of these coins were created to trade, or for fun or as a proof of concept.  I'm all for that, but LTC has services, merchants and uses outside the exchanges--unlike almost any other coin in my portfolio.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 09:48:51 PM

Where are the best places to purchase or otherwise obtain litecoin?

i recomend cryptsy.com

is year always alt coins normal official and real exchanges stable rate % fee

I am always frustrated by cryptsy. I really only use it at this point to dump crap altcoins because liquidity is very low there. Every time you place a limit order, bots repeatedly move orders 1 satoshi (or similar) above you, and since there is no liquidity/movement, your order never gets filled. I stick to BTC-E.
QuantPlus

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 12:44:39 AM

If you trade Alts all day...
And keep an eye on the Chat Box, Whales, and Pumpers...
You get the best information on what's moving coins.

I hate to call you out, but the "Chat Box, Whales and Pumpers" _are_ what moves the coins on an exchange on any given day.  Same as any non-news day on the stock exchange.

LTC has a solid technical difference from BTC, and it has the second largest support infrastructure.  What would cause that, realistically, to change?  Alt-coins, with few exceptions, are clones of BTC or LTC.  Most merchants accept BTC and LTC now, I can't see them wanting to accept 50 different types, even if a payment gateway automates the process.

I'm not dissuaded by troll boxes because I spend my spare time watching what type of actual support is building from merchants and services.  These aspects of any crypto-coin are tenfold more important than the movement of exchanges, and will ultimately reveal what coins become mainstream.  So many of these coins were created to trade, or for fun or as a proof of concept.  I'm all for that, but LTC has services, merchants and uses outside the exchanges--unlike almost any other coin in my portfolio.

Let me put it another way...
It's the MARGINAL movement of capital BETWEEN Alt Coins that affects prices...
Not some perceived, imaginary real-world use or "community".

These are Tiny Cap Alts, baby. (Not Bitcoin).

When both XPM and WDC tripled in the last 2 weeks...
The Whales you think don't matter took $1,000,000 out of LTC...
And pumped the shit out of XPM and WDC... you have to watch it happen to appreciate it.

You might think $1 million out of a $40 million cap is trivial...
But on a MARGINAL basis in terms of exchange pricing...
It's large enough to drop-kick LTC by 10-20%... and the BTC spike did the rest.

Sunny King's coins are more than "proof of concept", Market Cap = $8,300,000...
Alt Pumpers are VERY sophisticated... and show them a lot more respect than LTC.
zebedee
Donator

Activity: 668
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 03:35:02 AM

So, to summarize: I don't think people lost confidence in LTC, they lost it in Gox. And they're losing patience so returning to BTC instead.
This! It's a good opportunity to buy LTC now. It most likely won't go below 0.01 btc.
There's a bet for that:

http://bitbet.us/bet/525/litecoin-to-fall-below-01-btc-before-2014/?ref=17SY2XwzgViNLrNhELPYpj7ps1FokqfFBN
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 08:23:34 AM

My explanation is that the fall in prices is due to so many people mining litecoins that don't really want them -- so they sell them.

There are a lot of miners out there that are mining litecoins because they have GPU rigs that can no longer mine bitcoins.  You see this advice all over the forums, "Use your GPU to mine litecoins, and then trade them for bitcoins."

I think this is spot on. Most only mined Litecoin to exchange for Bitcoin at some unknown future date. This of course is unsustainable.

kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 08:41:15 AM

Litecoin has no merchants, Litecoin does not have any significant features that Bitcoin does not(nobody cares about the hashing algorithm, except the angry cpu miners that got left behind). The only driving force behind Litecoin is speculation by stupid people, that does not realize that they are worthless.

Im not saying that altcoins are bad or they will all die, but litecoin will not survive becuase its too similar to bitcoin, and we already have bitcoin. A altcoin that could survive or even have a symbiotic relationship with bitcoin, could for example be one where miners could spend others coins after a specific number of blocks. This could reduce the txout set, by the transactions where the key has been lost. Bitcoin could then become long term storage of value, and this new altcoin could become a everyday coin where its only your own loss that you lose your keys, and not the networks.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 08:51:11 AM

Litecoin is special for the mass adoption by merchants and people accepting it as payment. The network is solid.
The only coin that can stand in the shadow of Bitcoin.

is this English?
who carez? this iz not grammer skool, itz an onlien forum

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 08:55:21 AM

Litecoin is special for the mass adoption by merchants and people accepting it as payment. The network is solid.
The only coin that can stand in the shadow of Bitcoin.

is this English?
who carez? this iz not grammer skool, itz an onlien forum
The problem is the signal-to-noise ratio... when english is written poorly its meaning is lost, obfuscated, or worse. I don't care about grammar, as long as stuff is understandable.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 12:19:26 PM

Don't believe people who hating on LTC so much, these are the impatient types who come and mumble some BS or very unexperienced with investing/trading in general. Also go and read the Litecoin AMA on Reddit instead of asking people who don't care about you. Same goes for trollbox. LTC has a very bright future
Netnox
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 12:49:02 PM

This has nothing to do with "hate". Keep deluding yourself.

The AMA on reddit was pretty pathetic as far as redditors go - and while the dev team is competent, they don't offer anything of interest.

Your a joke
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 12:58:29 PM

There appears to be some concerns over Litecoin Foundation. Don't know if this has been resolved as of yet?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=313210.0;all

Netnox
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 01:10:47 PM

Your a joke
Please explain why, then, you've only said empty statements like "bright future".
Also, "you're".

There has been plenty of information about Litecoin. I'm sure you have read them, but still not convinced. Makes me think when people where bashing Bitcoin in it's early days, look where it's now. I would say time will answer your question
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 01:20:47 PM

Don't believe people who hating on LTC so much, these are the impatient types who come and mumble some BS or very unexperienced with investing/trading in general.

I don't believe people hate Litecoin. It's just most people were using it as a tool to obtain more Bitcoins than they could mine otherwise. That's been and gone now, they got what they wanted and now have no further use for it. For the time being anyway.

Pokerfan

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 01:22:54 PM

I think bitcoin has a future and litecoin has none. If litecoin has no future, then you are losing money by holding litecoin and not bitcoin.
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 01:25:18 PM

Your a joke
Please explain why, then, you've only said empty statements like "bright future".
Also, "you're".

There has been plenty of information about Litecoin. I'm sure you have read them, but still not convinced. Makes me think when people where bashing Bitcoin in it's early days, look where it's now. I would say time will answer your question
The problem is that in the early days of bitcoin, bitcoin did not already exist. Bitcoin was and is an bright innovation.

Bitcoin now exists, and Litecoin is only reinventing the wheel.

I don't hate Litecoin, i just don't care about it.

Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 01:31:54 PM

because litecoin brings nothing significant to the table that bitcoin does not have.
+1

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
Pokerfan

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 01:34:23 PM

because litecoin brings nothing significant to the table that bitcoin does not have.
+1
btbrae

Activity: 680

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 01:54:12 PM

I have LTC but it's a hedge against something unforseen happening to Bitcoin. I have other alts but I still see LTC as the silver and no other alt so far is a threat in that regard (just my opinion). Some people like XPM because it's scientific and fair enough but again IMO it's science of finding primes is of very limited value and results so far seem very "meh".

The bigger question is if both of these fail then there are going to be some big questions hitting altcoin investors and you could see the demise of altcoins in their current form altogether, and perhaps a move to software that sits above the Bitcoin protocol rather than alongside it.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2013, 01:54:50 PM

Where are the best places to purchase or otherwise obtain litecoin?

Usually btc-e, but you can also try asking in the alt-coin trade part here
CoinMKT has it on exchange too.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: