Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:21:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to build a Hive app (introducing the Hive app API)  (Read 28635 times)
hivewallet (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 325

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2013, 10:56:50 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2014, 10:06:47 PM by hivewallet
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Hive is pleased to announce our v1 app API, now available to developers!

Hive apps are made with HTML, CSS and JavaScript. They're basically just websites with JavaScript code, running in an embedded browser inside the Hive window. You can use most features you'd expect from a standard modern web browser.

Full instructions for how to create a Hive application can be found on our wiki here:
https://github.com/hivewallet/hive-osx/wiki/How-to-build-a-Hive-app

API-specific documentation can be found here:
https://github.com/hivewallet/hive-osx/wiki/API

Frequently asked questions

Q: Once I've built my app, how do I get it included in Hive?
A: A formal submission process will be created over the next few weeks. For the moment, please notify us here and/or via email at w@hivewallet.com and we will review it and hopefully include the app with our test releases.

Q: Do I need to include all of my site or service's functionality in the app?
A: It isn't necessary. Remember, many Hive users will not have used Bitcoin before. Especially for the first version of your app, we suggest that you only include functionality that will give users a taste of your services.

Q: Can I just use an iframe to embed my webpage?
A: There are of course exceptions, but on the whole we would greatly prefer it if you did not. Smiley

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hivewallet (OP)

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2013, 10:57:27 AM

reserved

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn
Zaih

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 02:11:02 PM

Great! Best of luck! This will be an amazing contribution to Bitcoin
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 02:19:12 PM

Great job mate!
hivewallet (OP)

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2013, 03:25:34 PM

Great! Best of luck! This will be an amazing contribution to Bitcoin

Thank you very much, we sure hope so!

Great job mate!

Thank you! And thanks for being such an inspiration!

bitcoinstarter

Activity: 484

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 05:03:57 PM

Looking forward to getting BitcoinStarter Bitcoin crowdfunding app on Hive   Wink

Just amazing work guys!
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 05:33:25 PM

Looks great so far, keep up the good work!

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
BitOrca

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

Buy and Sell Templates and Themes with Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2013, 06:34:38 PM

Not only will Hive bridge that gap between the masses and Bitcoin, these integrations will help propel Bitcoin services.  +1 to you guys  Smiley

Admin @ BitOrca | Contact: admin@bitorca.com | Twitter |  Sell/Buy Bitcoin code! @ BitOrca | OrcaBlog | Best Bitcoin Tool Competiton!

Skinnkavaj

Activity: 469
Merit: 250

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 08:35:21 PM

You are awesome

icedicedavid

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Ice-Dice.com | Massive Referral Bonus!

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2013, 09:09:54 PM

so the index.html has to be compiled into the hive.app? Can it be loaded from an url?

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 10:06:34 PM

so the index.html has to be compiled into the hive.app? Can it be loaded from an url?

yes they have to be compiled and made into a .hiveapp and put in this folder https://github.com/grabhive/hive-osx/tree/master/Hive/Applications then compiled. That is the only way I see currently.

Also if you want someone that has a current git master branch of hive working to test your applications, I be willing to do that for $10 in BTC for each test per application. I even have the debug enabled.
yellowdog

Activity: 121
Merit: 14

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 07:54:05 AM

I am working hard and hope i'll have an app for http://satoshirat.com soon.

Great job, i think this kind of wallet approach will stimulate btc economy more.

SatoshiRat.com - inmates betting on rat races
jsuder

Activity: 145

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:54:28 PM

Yes, the base HTML file must be available offline inside the app bundle. When it opens you can use JS to load additional scripts and resources, some of which might be loaded from a remote server (though it's recommended that as much as possible is kept inside the bundle for faster loading).

yes they have to be compiled and made into a .hiveapp and put in this folder https://github.com/grabhive/hive-osx/tree/master/Hive/Applications then compiled. That is the only way I see currently.
Actually, the .hiveapp bundles don't have to be added to that Applications folder - those four that are there now will be preinstalled for all users, but the idea is that you can add any apps to Hive that you've downloaded from anywhere - author's website, GitHub, email attachment, whatever. You just open the .hiveapp in Finder and Hive will ask you if you want to "install" the app.

Also if you want someone that has a current git master branch of hive working to test your applications, I be willing to do that for $10 in BTC for each test per application. I even have the debug enabled.
We're planning to release a new build with the new API soon (tomorrow/Wendesday), we just need to make sure the four bundled apps are all working correctly.

Former main developer of Hive Mac | @kuba_suder at Twitter
jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 04:03:46 PM

I am working hard and hope i'll have an app for http://satoshirat.com soon.
Nice! Let us know when you finish it, or if you have any problems with the API.

hivewallet (OP)

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 12:46:18 PM
Last edit: October 31, 2013, 06:13:47 PM by grabhive

Introducing the LocalBitcoins app for Hive.

Please note: as with Hive itself, this should be handled with great care and at the moment we do not recommend it for any kind of day-to-day use.

The latest releases will be made available here:
https://github.com/hivewallet/hiveapp-localbitcoins/releases

Issues can be tracked here:
https://github.com/hivewallet/hiveapp-localbitcoins/issues

knowitnothing

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 09:25:20 PM

I'm missing some step zero on how to use your bitcoin global object.

I'm running Hive Version 0.9 (2013102201), and there is no such global object named "bitcoin" that is accessible through the app. Does this build include it or what else am I supposed to do ? The relevant javascript might be as simple as console.log(bitcoin), and Web Inspector will give me a reference error.
jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 10:14:24 PM

I'm running Hive Version 0.9 (2013102201), and there is no such global object named "bitcoin" that is accessible through the app. Does this build include it or what else am I supposed to do ? The relevant javascript might be as simple as console.log(bitcoin), and Web Inspector will give me a reference error.
Hmm, this doesn't make sense... This build definitely should include the window.bitcoin object in the JS context of an app. Open any of the built-in apps, e.g. supporthive, do a right-click and "Inspect" and check the console, you should see the bitcoin object there:

knowitnothing

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 10:41:13 PM

Hmm, this doesn't make sense... This build definitely should include the window.bitcoin object in the JS context of an app. Open any of the built-in apps, e.g. supporthive, do a right-click and "Inspect" and check the console, you should see the bitcoin object there:

Ok, at least now I know for sure the object should be there so I rechecked the issue.

There seems to be some problem regarding overwriting a running application, which causes the bitcoin object to disappear. I can reproduce this every time by doing the following:

1) Create your app X and run it inside Hive;
2) While it is running, overwrite it (i.e. open myappx.hiveapp and confirm the overwrite);
3) Right click and click on Reload;
4) Right click and click on Inspect;
5) The bitcoin object is gone

How to fix the missing bitcoin object: restart the app.
icedicedavid

Activity: 154

Ice-Dice.com | Massive Referral Bonus!

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 12:09:37 AM

does hive save cookies?

Would it work if I just make a blank index.html redirect to ice-dice.com on load?

jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 01:11:21 PM

does hive save cookies?
I actually had to check - looks like the cookies are saved, but only for the duration of one session with Hive, when you quite Hive and restart it, they're lost. There's also localStorage, but it's also lost when you quit Hive, and it also seems to be shared between the apps. We'll have to tweak the WebKit settings - I've added a ticket here: https://github.com/grabhive/hive-osx/issues/101

Would it work if I just make a blank index.html redirect to ice-dice.com on load?
There's nothing in Hive that would stop you from setting a meta redirect there, but we'd prefer you didn't, because it's not designed to work this way. It will be a worse user experience because things will load slower, and the layout might not be adapted that well to the Hive window. You'd also have to be careful when you use the window.bitcoin object on your website so that you don't break it in other browsers.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: