Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:24:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on Straight HODL vs Trading  (Read 1197 times)
yndye

Activity: 616
Merit: 262

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2018, 10:32:32 AM

What I mean by straight HODL is that your hold through the crashes and the rises until you inevitably cash our and by trading I mean that you hold for a few months and then sell into fiat and wait for the expected dip/recession.
What i've noticed over the past years is that if I was less greedy and just cashed out after a reasonable profit and then held until the inevitable crashed, I would have made much more money than if i just held or bought another coin. 

An example of this is when I bought eth at 475 and sold at 1380.  Right after I sold I bought ltc at 230 thinking that it was gonna skyrocket after some of the money from the eth will flow back into the other coins.  The problem with that was that the entire market crashed and so if I were to just hold my fiat i would have been able to easily double my money. 

Let me know what your guys's thoughts are on this.

If you understand and know how to do trading then you are likely to profit more in it than just holding it because you can get more coins as long as you constantly take profit with some losses from time to time. However, there are others who choose to hold the coins and do not waver when it comes to crashes because they believe that it will be much more valuable in the future but then after getting impatient, they sold the coins at a loss. There are others who choose to hold their coins because they are being emotional when they trade resulting most likely to a loss. It happened to me wherein I doubled my profit but I didn't take it and then afterwards, the price crash and I decided to sold it because I need some funds. I decided to do short term trading and take profits and losses according to my trading plan.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
▄███████████▀▀███████████████▄
██████████▀▀ ▄▄█▀  █████████████
███████████▄▄█▀  ▄███▀   █████████
█████████████  ▄███▀      ██████████
▄████████████████▀        ███████████▄
██████████████▀          ▄████████████
███████████▀             █████████████
████████▀               ██████████████
████████▄              ███  ██████████
▀██████████████        ██  █▀ ███████▀
███████████████      ██▀ ▄█ ▄███████
██████████████     ███  █  ███████
██████████████   ▄██  █▀ ███████
▀████████████▄ ▄█████████████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

▄████████████████████▄
████████      ████████
██████████████████████
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██████████▀▀██████████
████████▀    ▀████████
████████▄    ▄████████
▀█████████▄▄█████████▀
  Download on the
App Store

GET IT ON
Google Play
  ●  FACEBOOK
●  TWITTER
●  TELEGRAM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Borisb52

Activity: 462
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 10:46:35 AM

What I mean by straight HODL is that your hold through the crashes and the rises until you inevitably cash our and by trading I mean that you hold for a few months and then sell into fiat and wait for the expected dip/recession.
What i've noticed over the past years is that if I was less greedy and just cashed out after a reasonable profit and then held until the inevitable crashed, I would have made much more money than if i just held or bought another coin. 

An example of this is when I bought eth at 475 and sold at 1380.  Right after I sold I bought ltc at 230 thinking that it was gonna skyrocket after some of the money from the eth will flow back into the other coins.  The problem with that was that the entire market crashed and so if I were to just hold my fiat i would have been able to easily double my money. 

The essence of the investment is to sell the bought coin exactly when it reaches the point of sale. You determine the point of sale for yourself. . So you sell a coin only when the coin can give you the profit that you have planned.
upsidedown75
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 03:31:15 PM

Straight holdings gives an earning where the price increases high, and it is the risk free method of making an earning. Same time trading requires a continuous buying and selling making use of the price fluctuations. Here the risk is big and to the same the earning we make compared to that of straight holding is big.
Everything comes with a risk, just that the risks are totally different. Investment too comes with its own risk, so you still have to understand your area of investment before investing so as to at least hold something potential and understand everything so as not to make wrong decisions.

Although with trading, you require a lot of skills and knowledge to be able to trade, so in that case, you have to know what you are doing even as risky as it is, but you can make a lot in the process than just holding.
lordmick

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 05:58:09 PM

Personally I just HODL all my assets. Sell them now is not smart decision. Because according to TA (and I believe it) in the second half of this year we will see hard rise of whole market and it will update historical maximum.
Silberman
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1333

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 10:56:08 PM

worth taking into account the emotional/time cost of trading regularly vs HODL.
Time is money of course
Holding is something which you can only do once you dint have need of having money on urgent basis and that you are comfortable with keeping your coins in your wallet for sufficiently greater time. however, trading is really a tough job to do and for that, you need to do all of efforts and hard work. It all depends on your personal capabilities as well as your daily routine and interest which can help you in deciding the things.
This is something that is sometimes overlooked, holding becomes way easier if you really do not have any kind of need for that money if that is not the case then holding your bitcoins is going to become almost an impossible task because you are always going to wonder what are you going to do to pay your bills or to pay your rent and you will always think of your bitcoin as a way to overcome your problems, so first you need to solve all your economic problems and then you can hold bitcoin.
Sinecoin (OP)

Activity: 742

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 11:07:13 PM

worth taking into account the emotional/time cost of trading regularly vs HODL.
Time is money of course
Holding is something which you can only do once you dint have need of having money on urgent basis and that you are comfortable with keeping your coins in your wallet for sufficiently greater time. however, trading is really a tough job to do and for that, you need to do all of efforts and hard work. It all depends on your personal capabilities as well as your daily routine and interest which can help you in deciding the things.
This is something that is sometimes overlooked, holding becomes way easier if you really do not have any kind of need for that money if that is not the case then holding your bitcoins is going to become almost an impossible task because you are always going to wonder what are you going to do to pay your bills or to pay your rent and you will always think of your bitcoin as a way to overcome your problems, so first you need to solve all your economic problems and then you can hold bitcoin.

I completely agree with this and this is why I always tell people never invest more than they can lose when they ask me for trading/investing advice.  Having extra money that is not tied to any bills or expenses is the only money that you should be investing because if that money is tied to a time constraint such as rent or the electricity bill then you could be forced to sell in a downtrend when you just want to hold.  The same thing applies to people who buy crypto using their credit cards, if you dont have the money in the bank to already pay it off dont do it.

center]
         ▄▄▄█████████████████
    ▄▄████████████████████████     
 ▄█████████▀▀▀            ████▌     ███▄
▐█████▀▀                  ▐███▌     ████
▐████                     ▐████     ████
▐████       ▄▄█████████████████      ▀▀█
▐████     ▐███████████████████▌
 ████▌     ███████▀▀▀▀▀███████████▄▄▄
 ▐████      █████       ██████████████▌
  █████     ▀█████     █████▌  ▀▀█████
   █████     ▀█████   █████▀     █████
    █████     ▀█████▄█████▀     █████
     █████     ▀█████████▀     █████
      █████      ▀█████▀      █████
       █████▄      ▀▀▀      ▄█████
        ▀█████▄           ▄█████▀
          ▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
            ▀█████▄▄ ▄▄█████▀
              ▀███████████▀
                 ▀▀███▀▀
BookiePro▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   BookiePro.fun   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████████ █ █
  The World's Betting Exchange 
         ▄▄███▄███▄
        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ██▀ ▀█████████████
   ▄██ ███▄██████████████
  ████ ██████████████████
   ███ ███████        ███ █▄
▄█▄ ██ ███████   ████████ ▀▀█▄
▀██▄ ████         █████ ▀██▄
  ▀█▄▄ ████▀▀▀   ▀▀▀█████ ██ ▀█▀
    ▀█ ████▄▄▄   ▄▄▄█████ ███
       ███████   ████████ ████
       ██████████████▀███ ██▀
       █████████████▄ ▄██
        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ 
             ▀███▀████▀▀
   Bet with  ▆▆▆▆▆
▆▆▆▆▆ Play Money

Win Real Bitcoin 
|   5 BTC ▆▆▆▆▆
▆▆▆▆▆ Prize Pool

World Cup 2018 
  Download 
Now
[/center]
bearexin

Activity: 1162
Merit: 168

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 06:22:57 PM

I've never been good at trading, I HODL all my coins, plus I don't have time to sit around and execute or place sell/buy orders. I've made excellent money just holding good projects, ie.. $NANO, $NEO, $ETC, $ARK

Holding is the best strategies for all of us who are busy in somethings and can’t find way to monitor the market 24/7. Personally, I just buy good coins at a lower price, and sell if its already hit my target price. Either you trade or just hold, sure profit will come to you if you have your goal.
There is no doubt that the holding process is full of the profits and guaranteed profits but it must also be kept in mind that the amount of profit after the holding is very less than the one with we can get after the trading. The important thing here is how much time do you have for this market because if you are committed in the other things than it will be difficult for you to do the trading so go for the holding else you can trade for better profit.
Obviously, and we also have to understand that if you do not know how to trade effectively, the amount you are holding can go lower if you trade and you would have been better off holding anyway.

I feel we always miss the truth and let people go astray by thinking they can just sell anywhere and buy anywhere, without any knowledge on analysis or how to make use of indicators and that has made a lot of people to lose out a lot at the end.
usekevin

Activity: 2212
Merit: 556

Highly Trusted|Most efficient Manager| yahoo62278

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 06:44:10 PM

Now due to lot of FUD in a market, price of all the coins in red map.So this is time to hold your coins, it may be Ethereum, litecoin, Bitcoin or even Monero.If the price of certain coins is we can sell them and inverse in rest.But now,the price of all cryptocurrency is low and just hold your coins.

█████▄▄██
███▄█████
██▄███████▄
████████████████
███▀██████████▀
██▄████████████▄
░█████▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
████▀████████▀████
▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████▀███████▄████
███████▀▀▄▄▄█████
███████████████▀
████████████▀▀
OMBARD.com|.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██████░██░████░██
▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
██████████████
▄▄░▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀▀▀
██░██░██████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
PICK,
PLAY,
PROSPER!

██████
██████████
██████████
██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████   ██
PROVABLY
FAIR
1%█████████████████   ██
HOUSE
EDGE
100%█████████████████   ██
DEPOSIT
BONUS
  Play now  
Gix

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2018, 06:50:02 PM

Only 10% (in the better days) of BTC is actually trading. That's why the markets are heavily manipulated.

Hodling is an internet meme (started here) that people mistook for a financial advisor.

A lot of peeps forgot that bitcoin is supposed to be p2p electronic cash. And not an asset.
marseille

Activity: 938

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 07:25:59 PM

Simply holding is really a boring process and will never allow you to grow your bitcoins so I will prefer to go for trading and investing in different altcoins with good potential either to rise in short term or in long term and it can give me huge profits in quick time which is never possible with holding coins and that is the reason I will put my vote on trading different coins daily instead of holding it too long.
Sinecoin (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 07:40:36 PM

Simply holding is really a boring process and will never allow you to grow your bitcoins so I will prefer to go for trading and investing in different altcoins with good potential either to rise in short term or in long term and it can give me huge profits in quick time which is never possible with holding coins and that is the reason I will put my vote on trading different coins daily instead of holding it too long.

I dont think bordom is what most people think about when trying to make a money.  A disciplined investor will wait patiently if he/she has to to keep their money safe or grow it.  Second of all, growing your bitcoin or altcoin stack is one way of looking at investing but most people really only care about growing their fiat stack a.k.a making money.  Growing your crypto stack is not a bad thing but it does come with the risk of trading and for u.s traders it comes with extra tax issues because each trade is considered a taxable event.

center]
         ▄▄▄█████████████████
    ▄▄████████████████████████     
 ▄█████████▀▀▀            ████▌     ███▄
▐█████▀▀                  ▐███▌     ████
▐████                     ▐████     ████
▐████       ▄▄█████████████████      ▀▀█
▐████     ▐███████████████████▌
 ████▌     ███████▀▀▀▀▀███████████▄▄▄
 ▐████      █████       ██████████████▌
  █████     ▀█████     █████▌  ▀▀█████
   █████     ▀█████   █████▀     █████
    █████     ▀█████▄█████▀     █████
     █████     ▀█████████▀     █████
      █████      ▀█████▀      █████
       █████▄      ▀▀▀      ▄█████
        ▀█████▄           ▄█████▀
          ▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
            ▀█████▄▄ ▄▄█████▀
              ▀███████████▀
                 ▀▀███▀▀
BookiePro▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   BookiePro.fun   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████████ █ █
  The World's Betting Exchange 
         ▄▄███▄███▄
        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ██▀ ▀█████████████
   ▄██ ███▄██████████████
  ████ ██████████████████
   ███ ███████        ███ █▄
▄█▄ ██ ███████   ████████ ▀▀█▄
▀██▄ ████         █████ ▀██▄
  ▀█▄▄ ████▀▀▀   ▀▀▀█████ ██ ▀█▀
    ▀█ ████▄▄▄   ▄▄▄█████ ███
       ███████   ████████ ████
       ██████████████▀███ ██▀
       █████████████▄ ▄██
        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ 
             ▀███▀████▀▀
   Bet with  ▆▆▆▆▆
▆▆▆▆▆ Play Money

Win Real Bitcoin 
|   5 BTC ▆▆▆▆▆
▆▆▆▆▆ Prize Pool

World Cup 2018 
  Download 
Now
[/center]
tbterryboy

Activity: 1918
Merit: 322

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 05:29:07 AM

No matter how you do this, whether trade or HODL, there are risks involved. There will always be times when the market will pass through a bearish period which might take a long time like we are experiencing now. It always happens, but the good thing is that after experiencing all that, it will skyrocket and go above the last highest price. I will just say that both ways are good, if the other doesn’t favor you, the other one would. So the both are good.
KEPLER99

Activity: 448
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 05:38:28 AM

I've never been good at trading, I HODL all my coins, plus I don't have time to sit around and execute or place sell/buy orders. I've made excellent money just holding good projects, ie.. $NANO, $NEO, $ETC, $ARK

Holding is the best strategies for all of us who are busy in somethings and can’t find way to monitor the market 24/7. Personally, I just buy good coins at a lower price, and sell if its already hit my target price. Either you trade or just hold, sure profit will come to you if you have your goal.
There is no doubt that the holding process is full of the profits and guaranteed profits but it must also be kept in mind that the amount of profit after the holding is very less than the one with we can get after the trading. The important thing here is how much time do you have for this market because if you are committed in the other things than it will be difficult for you to do the trading so go for the holding else you can trade for better profit.
Obviously, and we also have to understand that if you do not know how to trade effectively, the amount you are holding can go lower if you trade and you would have been better off holding anyway.

I feel we always miss the truth and let people go astray by thinking they can just sell anywhere and buy anywhere, without any knowledge on analysis or how to make use of indicators and that has made a lot of people to lose out a lot at the end.
That is the reason why I always mention that trading is a proper profession. It is not a fun or a game that you can play just to make money by few random clicks. Here in trading you have to define your future by making those moves which are logical and are designed after deep market analysis. It is not like gambling where you are just relying on your fate to increase or decrease your wealth. In trading you are responsible for your moves.
naidray
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1029

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 05:43:39 AM

You have concluded rightly already anyway and it seems a lot of us have been in the picture already trying to hold even in this so called huge correction. You have raised a valid point, but obviously not all of us can just sell at once and the market at some point will always get greedy which is why I always prefer a steady growth than a speculative greedy growth but for someone who can trade this change of trend, then it is always the best.

When you are lacking in knowledge on where to buy or sell then straight holding is the only way you can manage making profits from trading. You must remember one fact : holding is also a kind of trading but takes more time still produces equivalent profits.
mrproblem

Activity: 392
Merit: 24

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 05:56:28 AM

HODL without any aim is a nonsense acting.
HODL till which price ? There should be a target to HODL if not you are loosing your time and also your money.
Markperop

Activity: 448
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 07:41:58 AM

In this moment, I completely agree with you, since it also allows you to control the whole process and be at least more or less confident that your profit will be real. But this can not be said about investments for the long term.

HELLO EVERYONE.
ipanks

Activity: 1610
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 06:35:32 AM

The essence of the investment is to sell the bought coin exactly when it reaches the point of sale. You determine the point of sale for yourself. . So you sell a coin only when the coin can give you the profit that you have planned.

this is the plan of the investment but if we apply this in the cryptocurrency then it will not work like that because the price could go into any place and if someone is not strong enough to see the change of the price, he will be stress and he cannot think about his investment. the investment in cryptocurrency itself means that we don't use the coin for some periods and if the price is not too good then we have only had two option which is still held or sell before the things become worst.

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
BlockchainTalksInfo

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 06:40:09 AM

An example of this is when I bought eth at 475 and sold at 1380.  Right after I sold I bought ltc at 230 thinking that it was gonna skyrocket after some of the money from the eth will flow back into the other coins.  The problem with that was that the entire market crashed and so if I were to just hold my fiat i would have been able to easily double my money.  

When you trade, always trade for something less volatile, and this is fiat. Your marchandise is crypto, and your objective is to increase your stock
Hodling is not the best strategy, but wise trading is. Analyze the market and play by the established rules, not by your feelings or assumptions
Lhaine

Merit: 128

Coinbene.com - Experience Fast Crypto Trading

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 06:58:54 AM

An example of this is when I bought eth at 475 and sold at 1380.  Right after I sold I bought ltc at 230 thinking that it was gonna skyrocket after some of the money from the eth will flow back into the other coins.  The problem with that was that the entire market crashed and so if I were to just hold my fiat i would have been able to easily double my money.  

When you trade, always trade for something less volatile, and this is fiat. Your marchandise is crypto, and your objective is to increase your stock
Hodling is not the best strategy, but wise trading is. Analyze the market and play by the established rules, not by your feelings or assumptions

I agree trading is more wisely because you earn profit in every single day, yes we can earn more profit by doing hold but it took so long ,we need to wait for how many months everytime we hold but if you can do trading then do it.
Jambolb2

Activity: 444
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 03:09:11 PM

from your experience, I think you need to look more deeply for the ltc because I think litecoin still need too long before it could increase and I don't see that litecoin will go up in this short time. but I think you could still hold your litecoin until the price is up again and I hope that you still have another money in your wallet so you can continue to trade. but I see that you can make a lot of profit for selling ethereum and I guess you learn from your experience.

Yes LTC need more time to grow up, you have one more option to get back your loss that is day trading. LTC price is fluctuating b/w $10 - $20 so if you are a pro trader you can use this opportunity and slowly earn back your loss but this is too risky.
These altcoins have little buying prices and same little selling prices. As you have talked about LTC that it is in between $10-20. This is really risky to even trade in it. Because price fluctuations are so low that you can lose it if even little careens is shown.

Although buying prices are affordable for most of population but see the complexities they have. Go for smooth and easy bitcoins that have high fluctuations and easy trading.
A lot of people practice the slowly earning back your loss with that for sure, but it is a whole lot risk to trade and doing that is just more like trying to day trade which if you are not careful without any knowledge or experience on trading generally, anyone will always end up missing it and even losing more. Straight holding is always good if you cannot trade, but trading is better as long as you are sure you can.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: