Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:12:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-10-26 forbes.com - fbi-says-its-seized-20-million-in-bitcoins-from-ross-ulb  (Read 5007 times)
drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:45:56 PM
Last edit: October 25, 2013, 06:37:20 PM by Raoul Duke

They got to his main stash of Bitcoins.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/10/25/fbi-says-its-seized-20-million-in-bitcoins-from-ross-ulbricht-alleged-owner-of-silk-road/

And this is the address they have moved them too, now the largest single address on the network!

https://blockchain.info/address/1FfmbHfnpaZjKFvyi1okTjJJusN455paPH
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:46:54 PM

Friday night (evening) , let's see how the market reacts!

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:01:52 PM

So now US government owns the largest single address on the network, it becomes more interesting...
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:05:52 PM

Has this hit other Bitcoin news networks yet?
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:06:15 PM

They got to his main stash of Bitcoins.

fbi-says-its-seized-20-million-in-bitcoins-from-ross-ulbricht-alleged-owner-of-silk-road

And this is the address they have moved them too, now the largest single address on the network!

https://blockchain.info/address/1FfmbHfnpaZjKFvyi1okTjJJusN455paPH
Link doesn't work, it's got issues.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:06:52 PM

Whoa, this is THE top story at forbes.com right now...
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:10:56 PM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/10/25/fbi-says-its-seized-20-million-in-bitcoins-from-ross-ulbricht-alleged-owner-of-silk-road/

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 06:16:10 PM

It looks like the address has been filled in multiple increments of 324 BTC.

324 = FBI? (telephone keypad)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:19:09 PM

Damn, I bet you're right.
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:23:24 PM

Damn, I bet you're right.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=324+FBI&oq=324+FBI&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4.1598j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8
324 does seem to be used in their phone numbers so I guess it has significance to the FBI.

Yahoo Awnsers
"i dunno i had a friend tell me once that she actually used to call the fbi (324-fbi on the numbers on the phone) i dunno how true that is call it maybe it works idk and ask questions if you get anything. and im not tryin to be funny i really heard it idk good luck."
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:30:41 PM

Thanks, OP's link was disappointing Tongue.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:35:56 PM

Just curious, if they are going to liquidate or auction off the stash, do they have to find someone with MSB license to do that? who would that be?
notme
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:38:30 PM

Just curious, if they are going to liquidate or auction off the stash, do they have to find someone with MSB license to do that? who would that be?

Government agencies are exempted from money transmitter regulations.

bigasic

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:40:31 PM

Common sense would make you think that the bitcoin community should react positive with this news. Like i said elsewhere, we are years away from them deciding the case, so those coins are not going to hit the market any time soon.... So, we know that those coins will be out of the loop for years, unless DPR strikes a deal, which I dont think is going to happen...
notme
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:51:26 PM

Common sense would make you think that the bitcoin community should react positive with this news. Like i said elsewhere, we are years away from them deciding the case, so those coins are not going to hit the market any time soon.... So, we know that those coins will be out of the loop for years, unless DPR strikes a deal, which I dont think is going to happen...

And in the mean time bitcoin grows, and when the FBI finally does sell them, they suddenly have a trillion dollars to spend on privacy invasion.

Arvicco

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 07:17:00 PM

Why is no one discussing the one REALLY important question: HOW were they able to break (supposedly) encrypted wallet and syphon money from it? If we assume it was a normal BitcoinQt wallet.dat, is there some kind of method to break it that is not universally known? As a community, we better find out everything about it, and do it fast...

jabetizo

Activity: 125
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 07:19:28 PM

Why is no one discussing the one REALLY important question: HOW were they able to break (supposedly) encrypted wallet and syphon money from it? If we assume it was a normal BitcoinQt wallet.dat, is there some kind of method to break it that is not universally known? As a community, we better find out everything about it, and do it fast...

With all the mistakes DPR allegedly made I wouldn't be surprised if he used a weak password. The coins at 1933phfhK3ZgFQNLGSDXvqCn32k2buXY8a still haven't moved though.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:19:52 PM

Likely this:

zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:21:38 PM

We won't see these coins in a couple of years while trial is going on.
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:21:41 PM

And in the mean time bitcoin grows, and when the FBI finally does sell them, they suddenly have a trillion dollars to spend on privacy invasion.

They don't need Bitcoin money for that. I personally think those Bitcoins will stay in government agency accounts and probably moved around. They could even use it for propaganda, they could send it to a particular group and spread it across the media to give Bitcoin a bad rep, without relinquishing control over their holdings. What we know about the state of internet privacy is the equivalent of the military announcing their "new" tech, something built years before and kept secret. They are always a good few years ahead in most technology.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: