Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:53:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-10-26 forbes.com - fbi-says-its-seized-20-million-in-bitcoins-from-ross-ulb  (Read 5007 times)
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:27:49 PM

Common sense would make you think that the bitcoin community should react positive with this news. Like i said elsewhere, we are years away from them deciding the case, so those coins are not going to hit the market any time soon.... So, we know that those coins will be out of the loop for years, unless DPR strikes a deal, which I dont think is going to happen...

And in the mean time bitcoin grows, and when the FBI finally does sell them, they suddenly have a trillion dollars to spend on privacy invasion.

They don't need Bitcoin money for that. I personally think those Bitcoins will stay in government agency accounts and probably moved around. They could even use it for propaganda, they could send it to a particular group and spread it across the media to give Bitcoin a bad rep, without relinquishing control over their holdings. What we know about the state of internet privacy is the equivalent of the military announcing their "new" tech, something built years before and kept secret. They are always a good few years ahead in most technology.

LOL... I did an internship with the FBI.... just LOL.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:35:52 PM

Common sense would make you think that the bitcoin community should react positive with this news. Like i said elsewhere, we are years away from them deciding the case, so those coins are not going to hit the market any time soon.... So, we know that those coins will be out of the loop for years, unless DPR strikes a deal, which I dont think is going to happen...

And in the mean time bitcoin grows, and when the FBI finally does sell them, they suddenly have a trillion dollars to spend on privacy invasion.

They don't need Bitcoin money for that. I personally think those Bitcoins will stay in government agency accounts and probably moved around. They could even use it for propaganda, they could send it to a particular group and spread it across the media to give Bitcoin a bad rep, without relinquishing control over their holdings. What we know about the state of internet privacy is the equivalent of the military announcing their "new" tech, something built years before and kept secret. They are always a good few years ahead in most technology.

You must be hired to spread propaganda then. Notme is a shill! Tongue
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:40:48 PM

Why is no one discussing the one REALLY important question: HOW were they able to break (supposedly) encrypted wallet and syphon money from it? If we assume it was a normal BitcoinQt wallet.dat, is there some kind of method to break it that is not universally known? As a community, we better find out everything about it, and do it fast...

Likely this:

Good answer  Grin

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:41:26 PM

This is good news for Bitcoin, overall.

If they auction/sell - we get a firesale and all those whiners that start alt-coins because they missed the boat years ago can finally put a sock in it.

If they hold them forever - less in circulation boosts everyone's value, and the subsequent news of this seizure proves Bitcoin has value. After all, why seize something that is worthless? Thanks for the vote of confidence, FBI!

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:41:48 PM

Why is no one discussing the one REALLY important question: HOW were they able to break (supposedly) encrypted wallet and syphon money from it? If we assume it was a normal BitcoinQt wallet.dat, is there some kind of method to break it that is not universally known? As a community, we better find out everything about it, and do it fast...

- keylogger installed on his PC
- DPR reused a password from somewhere else (perhaps with a changed number or something that could easily be bruteforced if you know the other pw)
- DPR handed over the key for whatever reason

Note that if this was a cold wallet, stored offline, he might not have been all that concerned with the strength of the wallet pw. Its even conceivable the (offline) wallet was generated with an old version of bitcoinqt that had a flaw that made decrypting it relatively easy. IIRC.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:44:08 PM

You must be hired to spread propaganda then. Notme is a shill! Tongue

Nope.  They offered me a job, but I failed to get clearance since I was too honest about using drugs during college.  Most people I did them with have clearance and government jobs, but I'm not going to lie just to get a job.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:46:16 PM

So now US government owns the largest single address on the network, it becomes more interesting...

So... The FBI is now one of the largest holders of BTC. DPR's trial is likely to last several years, and the seized BTC can't be sold until the trial is over? In the meantime, if BTC were to be outlawed, those BTC would likely crash in value before they get a chance to sell. Or if BTC continues to grow, that 25 million dollars could potentially look more like 250 million, or maybe even 2.5 billion?

Yes, this has definitely become much more interesting...
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 07:55:36 PM

he told them the password and now he will be less years in prison.

inform

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 07:58:29 PM

This Fresh News?
show in tv 3 or 4 week ago

Today is 25.10.2013

Month agop this be Actual

Roll Eyes
 Huh
 Shocked

Why you sleep

Wont surprize our scene but you to late  Grin

Wink

Ok but thanx you for this information interest
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 08:56:39 PM

Unless he's an idiot and didn't get a binding deal of some sort.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 09:12:25 PM

Exactly this.

When you're looking at life in prison, what good does $25M do you?  Better to give up the money and still have some of your life left to live outside of prison walls.
SPC_Bitcoin

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Coffee makes it all better!

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 09:33:10 PM

I have a couple questions re: reading the blockchain....

1. it looks like several hundred wallet addresses / accounts were emptied into the 1fmb account, click on any "from" address at random, look at a few of them, I see anywhere between 4-10 BTC in each account. What is the purpose of this?

2. if they were in fact DPR's coins, why would he put them in so many small accounts, and how could the fedz get that many wallets & passwords?

3. the addresses to the left of a green arrow are "from" and to the right is the "deposit" how do you deposit from multiple addresses? or is this just how they got hashed? (I don't know a better way to ask this question) never saw a "how to read the blockchain" instructions.

thanks. be nice, don't flame.  Smiley

NEVER GOT PAID.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 10:03:25 PM

Exactly this.

When you're looking at life in prison, what good does $25M do you?  Better to give up the money and still have some of your life left to live outside of prison walls.

most likely thats the case.

no password: 50 years.
with password: 10 years.

he will also tell "everything" about silk road. how it has worked, secrets behind it etc etc...

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 10:18:15 PM

This is historical moment: For the first time in modern history, government have a stash of debt free money, this time they don't need to borrow from FED Grin (Sadly that is robbed from some people anyway  Tongue)

uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 10:29:24 PM

I also wonder what this means for Silk Road users also? Do silk road have any info from users? I have never even visited the site so I don't know how it worked.  Cheesy
ninjarobot

Activity: 761
Merit: 500

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 12:47:35 AM

I personally think those Bitcoins will stay in government agency accounts and probably moved around. They could even use it for propaganda, they could send it to a particular group and spread it across the media to give Bitcoin a bad rep

This. They will likely use the Bitcoins against Bitcoin.
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2013, 02:54:21 AM

no the money goes to the treasury most likely, so it could be used to pay down the debt... lol

but most likely they will spend it on gold plated toilet seats
KenKaniff

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 03:01:13 AM
Last edit: November 26, 2013, 04:18:39 AM by KenKaniff

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 03:03:38 AM

Technically DOJ.  Forfeited assets are handled by DOJ.  Right now it is evidence but after conviction it will be turned over to DOJ who handles all forms of forfeited assets yachts, planes, gold depositories, luxury goods, you name it and the feds have at one time seized and auctioned it.  Until he is convicted the funds will just sit there.  On the off chance he is found not guilty the first thing he lawyers would be doing is filing to have his wrongfully seized assets returned.   Not saying it will happen but because of that the DOJ will wait for a conviction before doing anything with the seized assets.

Proceeds go to the treasury so it isn't like the FBI gets to keep the funds.
drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 03:12:50 AM

Sorry for being offtopic, but I am not sure how my link didn't work and this one did? They are exactly the same, is this a joke on me or something? :p

Anyway, is it safe to have so much Bitcoin in one single address?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: