Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 05:26:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FBI Seizes DPR's personal coins! 144,000 coins!  (Read 9254 times)
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2013, 04:35:36 PM

How did they obtain the password? A deal? Torture? These 144K Bitcoins will be sold eventually.  Thought it would have a bigger effect on the price? Or was that already expected?

That's the million dollar question! As sloppy as he was, I highly doubt he stored it without good encryption!

More than likely it was one of the above.

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 08:44:28 PM

God DPR is a fucking moron. don't get me wrong I'm all for freedom, but bloody hell!

amateur mistake lead to his capture.

really amateur way of letting all his coins get captured.

why didn't he just hide 10,000 in a dozen random places. God I know if I had 20 million I'd hide it in at least 5 different spots.

I just hope that all the coins are sold off in one go.  plummet the price so I can clean up Smiley

I always thought DPR was an arrogant douche, he always talk like he's so smart and he can never be caught. He reveals so much information about himself, and thought nobody could connect the dots. Success breeds complacency and hubris, it always happens.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 10:22:37 PM

That leads to a reevaluation of Bitcoin security methods following a Search Warrant Scenario.

Most Bitcoin users operate totally within the law.  So any thoughts on this subject would be purely academic.  

Most conceivable Search Warrant Scenarios (for a wide range of offenses) would result in seizure of computers, digital storage media, and written documents from the specified residence.  In major cases, where it is suspected that the storage media is thoroughly encrypted when not in use, law enforcement personnel have demonstrated techniques of seizing computers "hot" after the encryption is unlocked and the device is in use by the user.

Which would then suggest counter techniques of storing encrypted information off-site and/or storing multiple private keys off-site, in either digital form or durable object "written" form.

Recent events illustrate the potential benefits of multiple accounts, rather than one large one.  Almost all arrested individuals are eligible for bail, and even those who are not are allowed visitors and communication with attorneys and relatives.  It does not require too much imagination to see how access could be given to one or more Bitcoin addresses for bail, attorney fees, prison barter goods, etc. without an unacceptable risk of losing the entire bankroll.  But if the funds are in one very large account, a very high degree of trust would be necessary before disclosing a private key.

Imagine how a person could obtain benefits from some or all of his Bitcoins after all his computer equipment and documents are seized and not returned.  It may be easier to imagine if you assume that the individual lives under a repressive regime.  You know.  One of those evil ones.

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 10:40:09 PM

Most Bitcoin users operate totally within the law.  So any thoughts on this subject would be purely academic.

Knightmb operated totally within the law.  He was still raided by the Secret Service*, solely for the crime of owning a lot of Bitcoins and being publicly identifiable.

*FYI the Secret Service is a division of the US Treasury.

It may be easier to imagine if you assume that the individual lives under a repressive regime.  You know.  One of those evil ones.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 11:13:01 PM

I think what you mean to say is most users intend to operate within the law.  The reality is that it is all dependent on interpretation.  For example the following can be seen as violations of various AML and KYC and other laws that most major countries subscribe to
http://blockchain.info/largest-recent-transactions

ekiro

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 12:07:47 AM

I didn't see this posted anywhere yet. If it is, feel free to remove.

It'll be interesting to find out how they got the private key. I would assume he had it encrypted in some form. If he didn't tell them, how would they have gotten it?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/10/25/fbi-says-its-seized-20-million-in-bitcoins-from-ross-ulbricht-alleged-owner-of-silk-road/
I could use some of those coins....
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:10:40 AM

Knightmb operated totally within the law.  He was still raided by the Secret Service*, solely for the crime of owning a lot of Bitcoins and being publicly identifiable.

*FYI the Secret Service is a division of the US Treasury.

What's the story? PM OK.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 07:41:24 AM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/12yfnk/cats_lead_feds_to_knightmb_worth_371kbtc_in/

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 08:05:47 AM

So as a quick read, they suspected him of an unrelated crime and investigation created lots of grief to him and the family. Just enough hints that the real issue is that he is having too many bitcoins and/or being too vocal about them. Poor guy, but good to see that he is still active in the forum.

The same trick was played on me on 2008 (due to silver, which prior to bitcoin was the lynchpin of the monetary economy) and it actually worsened my mental condition a lot. The good side is that I made my fortune as a result because I got a LOT more credibility for my claim that the govt hates silver, and as a result you should buy some from me Smiley

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 08:45:02 AM

This is the latest AFAIK: http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2013/June/13-crm-721.html

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 09:49:55 AM

Is there any evidence that he is behind the prank?

Note: in my case there never was any, and the chief investigator admitted it in the beginning, yet they confiscated all my property for 7.5 months..

Herp

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 09:59:34 AM

He might have struck a deal. Gave them access to the wallet in exchange for dropping the murder charges. In recent Forbes article there's no mention of him facing murder chargers anymore.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 10:13:23 AM

He might have struck a deal. Gave them access to the wallet in exchange for dropping the murder charges. In recent Forbes article there's no mention of him facing murder chargers anymore.

Sorry, I was talking about the off-topic of knightmb, and even my own experiences.

pokerFace2

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 10:21:57 AM

I doubt about dropping the murder charges if he really murdered someone. And if he does not, does the murder charge mean anything at all ?
Inedible

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 11:21:26 AM

A the cat's identification led to knightmb? Sounds more like parallel construction to me...

They probably already knew who they were going after but just needed some way of reaching him without letting everyone know they had intel on him from nefarious communication capture techniques.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Vigil

Activity: 378

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 11:28:41 AM

I don't see anything that proves they actually have cracked any encryption. For all we know they just have a wallet.dat file with no key.
jabetizo

Activity: 125
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 11:36:23 AM

I don't see anything that proves they actually have cracked any encryption. For all we know they just have a wallet.dat file with no key.

then why would they move the coins so long after the arrest? i'd say he used a moderately strong wallet password and they cracked it.

Chronikka

Activity: 658
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 11:41:12 AM

They couldn't move the coins without the key. And they obviously did move...Anyways here is the official FBI press release from Friday. Straight from their site:

http://www.fbi.gov/newyork/press-releases/2013/manhattan-u.s.-attorney-announces-seizure-of-additional-28-million-worth-of-bitcoins-belonging-to-ross-william-ulbricht-alleged-owner-and-operator-of-silk-road-website

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
Hfleer

Activity: 448

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 11:57:33 AM

Well that's certainly a nice take for them.  What a profitable venture that was.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Chronikka

Activity: 658
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 12:03:27 PM

Well that's certainly a nice take for them.  What a profitable venture that was.

Yeah no kidding...170k BTC already in hand from the SR seizure? That's about 1.5% of all BTC in existence from just one court case. Imagine Seizing 1.5% of all USD in circulation lol.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: