Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:50:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FBI Seizes DPR's personal coins! 144,000 coins!  (Read 9250 times)
Inedible

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 12:33:49 PM

Well that's certainly a nice take for them.  What a profitable venture that was.

Yeah no kidding...170k BTC already in hand from the SR seizure? That's about 1.5% of all BTC in existence from just one court case. Imagine Seizing 1.5% of all USD in circulation lol.

It's more like seizing 1.5% of a very small country's currency.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 12:40:24 PM

It's a fail on his part and now that amount could crash the price.

Actually, by having the coins locked up for who knows how long, it increases the exchange rate. When Bitcoin becomes mainstream, it shouldn't have that much of an effect when they're finally liquidated.

Why not much effect?

When "bitcoin goes mainstream" 50M today may be 5B

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
steeev

Activity: 128
Merit: 103

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 01:09:31 PM

why did they move them in 324btc chunks ?
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 01:15:53 PM

Actually, by having the coins locked up for who knows how long, it increases the exchange rate. When Bitcoin becomes mainstream, it shouldn't have that much of an effect when they're finally liquidated.

Why not much effect?

Percentage on seizure was about 1% of total coins, and should have about the same relative effect to the price if they are abruptly liquidated, regardless what the exchange rate is, (as long as bitcoin's monetary stock is very much smaller than dollar's).

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 01:19:10 PM

Why not much effect?

Percentage on seizure was about 1% of total coins, and should have about the same relative effect to the price if they are abruptly liquidated, regardless what the exchange rate is, (as long as bitcoin's monetary stock is very much smaller than dollar's).
Exactly Smiley

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
jabetizo

Activity: 125
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 01:22:51 PM

Why not much effect?

if they liquidate them in a few years, millions more will have been mined by then

TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 05:44:59 PM

From the U.S. Attorney’s Office announcement:
https://www.fbi.gov/newyork/press-releases/2013/manhattan-u.s.-attorney-announces-seizure-of-additional-28-million-worth-of-bitcoins-belonging-to-ross-william-ulbricht-alleged-owner-and-operator-of-silk-road-website

ULBRICHT’s residence was also searched on October 1, 2013, pursuant to a search warrant, and federal law enforcement agents conducting that search found several pieces of computer hardware belonging to ULBRICHT (collectively, along with ULBRICHT’s laptop, the “computer hardware”).  Through forensic analysis of the computer hardware, federal law enforcement agents recovered a Bitcoin wallet containing approximately 144,336 Bitcoins.

Flash drives?
Chronikka

Activity: 658
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 05:57:57 PM

From the U.S. Attorney’s Office announcement:
https://www.fbi.gov/newyork/press-releases/2013/manhattan-u.s.-attorney-announces-seizure-of-additional-28-million-worth-of-bitcoins-belonging-to-ross-william-ulbricht-alleged-owner-and-operator-of-silk-road-website

ULBRICHT’s residence was also searched on October 1, 2013, pursuant to a search warrant, and federal law enforcement agents conducting that search found several pieces of computer hardware belonging to ULBRICHT (collectively, along with ULBRICHT’s laptop, the “computer hardware”).  Through forensic analysis of the computer hardware, federal law enforcement agents recovered a Bitcoin wallet containing approximately 144,336 Bitcoins.

Flash drives?

Probably. Obviously Ulbricht's security measures weren't very strong. By default I would think any wallets would at least be encrypted with a unique key...that's pretty much "protect your btc 101"

It took ~3 weeks to transfer the coins if they were confiscated on October 1st. Probably not enough to break any encryption even with a weaker password. Means they probably got the password from someplace else he used it. I wonder what else uses that key...

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
Vigil

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:22:09 PM

I don't see anything that proves they actually have cracked any encryption. For all we know they just have a wallet.dat file with no key.

They couldn't move the coins without the key. And they obviously did move...Anyways here is the official FBI press release from Friday. Straight from their site:

http://www.fbi.gov/newyork/press-releases/2013/manhattan-u.s.-attorney-announces-seizure-of-additional-28-million-worth-of-bitcoins-belonging-to-ross-william-ulbricht-alleged-owner-and-operator-of-silk-road-website
Where is the proof they moved coins? I haven't seen any. They just said they seized it, just like they said that they had seized his 600,000 BTC. They could just be talking about possessing a wallet.dat. They also could have asked Ulbricht for the key as part of working on a plea deal. If you have some info that demonstrates that they actually have full control over the 100,000+ BTC and have moved them to a different address then please show me, cause I haven't seen it. Maybe that info is there, I just haven't seen it. We know they have the 26,000 BTC on that other address.

The quote above says they recovered a wallet. So maybe it wasn't even encrypted. The point being that they didn't figure out that Ulbricht had an address and then cracked the encryption. Ulbricht may not have even really tried to protect these coins.
og kush420

Activity: 1050
Merit: 110

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:25:32 PM

I don't see anything that proves they actually have cracked any encryption. For all we know they just have a wallet.dat file with no key.

They couldn't move the coins without the key. And they obviously did move...Anyways here is the official FBI press release from Friday. Straight from their site:

http://www.fbi.gov/newyork/press-releases/2013/manhattan-u.s.-attorney-announces-seizure-of-additional-28-million-worth-of-bitcoins-belonging-to-ross-william-ulbricht-alleged-owner-and-operator-of-silk-road-website
Where is the proof they moved coins? I haven't seen any. They just said they seized it, just like they said that they had seized his 600,000 BTC. They could just be talking about possessing a wallet.dat. They also could have asked Ulbricht for the key as part of working on a plea deal. If you have some info that demonstrates that they actually have full control over the 100,000+ BTC and have moved them to a different address then please show me, cause I haven't seen it. Maybe that info is there, I just haven't seen it. We know they have the 26,000 BTC on that other address.

The quote above says they recovered a wallet. So maybe it wasn't even encrypted. The point being that they didn't figure out that Ulbricht had an address and then cracked the encryption. Ulbricht may not have even really tried to protect these coins.
https://blockchain.info/address/1FfmbHfnpaZjKFvyi1okTjJJusN455paPH?offset=400&filter=0

hromobiti

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:31:47 PM

why did they move them in 324btc chunks ?

Seems they know how to launder BTC  Cheesy
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 08:29:46 PM

Was Silk Road seriously that bloody profitable? Or should we also suspect some of this BTC is from the Bitfloor (24k), Slush (3k), Bitcoinica (43k), bitomat.pl (17k), et al., thefts?

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
hayek

Activity: 370
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 09:04:06 PM

Was Silk Road seriously that bloody profitable? Or should we also suspect some of this BTC is from the Bitfloor (24k), Slush (3k), Bitcoinica (43k), bitomat.pl (17k), et al., thefts?

lol "Are drugs really that profitable?!?"
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 09:06:15 PM

Was Silk Road seriously that bloody profitable?

Yup.

Or should we also suspect some of this BTC is from the Bitfloor (24k), Slush (3k), Bitcoinica (43k), bitomat.pl (17k), et al., thefts?

I doubt it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/SilkRoad/comments/1obvm2/estimating_dprs_income_after_expenses_exchange/

Signature space available for rent.
jabetizo

Activity: 125
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 09:26:41 PM

check this out:

this address has been making transactions with huge fees (some above 15 BTC). Look at the sent (reversed) taint, 79 transactions ended up at FBI's address 1F1tAaz5x1HUXrCNLbtMDqcw6o5GNn4xqX.

Looks like FBI had difficulties with raw transactions and distributed some dirty drug money to miners Smiley

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 10:22:08 PM

I could see maybe if the commission for selling on Silk Road was 50% or something ridiculous.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
warut

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 12:05:16 AM

check this out:

this address has been making transactions with huge fees (some above 15 BTC). Look at the sent (reversed) taint, 79 transactions ended up at FBI's address 1F1tAaz5x1HUXrCNLbtMDqcw6o5GNn4xqX.

Looks like FBI had difficulties with raw transactions and distributed some dirty drug money to miners Smiley

Maybe not difficulties, but just because some FBI bitcoin experts are also miners, so they intentionally increase the tx fees to siphon the dirty money. Hahaha
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 03:18:06 AM

I could see maybe if the commission for selling on Silk Road was 50% or something ridiculous.

6.23%,but the total volume was something like 9.5 million BTCs.

Bitcoin could be utilized to run large business and make you super-rich, proven fact.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
knightmb

Activity: 308
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 09:44:22 AM

Most Bitcoin users operate totally within the law.  So any thoughts on this subject would be purely academic.

Knightmb operated totally within the law.  He was still raided by the Secret Service*, solely for the crime of owning a lot of Bitcoins and being publicly identifiable.

*FYI the Secret Service is a division of the US Treasury.

It may be easier to imagine if you assume that the individual lives under a repressive regime.  You know.  One of those evil ones.
The US government loves to make press announcements, but never a public apology. I am still around, going strong!  Grin

Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
knightmb

Activity: 308
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 09:46:34 AM

So as a quick read, they suspected him of an unrelated crime and investigation created lots of grief to him and the family. Just enough hints that the real issue is that he is having too many bitcoins and/or being too vocal about them. Poor guy, but good to see that he is still active in the forum.

The same trick was played on me on 2008 (due to silver, which prior to bitcoin was the lynchpin of the monetary economy) and it actually worsened my mental condition a lot. The good side is that I made my fortune as a result because I got a LOT more credibility for my claim that the govt hates silver, and as a result you should buy some from me Smiley
I've actually had the Service Service to my home *twice* now on two unrelated occasions. I am still around, going strong!  Grin

Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: