Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:13:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Monitor: web-based live ticker for activity on the Bitcoin network  (Read 9461 times)
jav (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 06, 2011, 09:46:21 PM

I'm happy to announce that http://www.bitcoinmonitor.com is now online! Transactions, blocks and trades on (currently only) Mt. Gox are plotted on a chart there. The website refreshes automatically as soon as new data is available. Enjoy! :-)

Hive, a beautiful wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit. Tweets @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jav (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2011, 09:55:06 PM

Very nice. A good example of a web page that does one thing, and does it well.

I would like the vertical axis to be logarithmic. This would give more interesting detail at the bottom of the chart, without losing the data points at the top of the chart.

Thx for the feedback! I played around with a logarithmic scale for a little while, but wasn't really happy with it. But you are right.. right now once in a while someone moves huge amounts of Bitcoins and blows the chart apart. =) .. I might look into the logarithmic option again at some point.

Hive, a beautiful wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit. Tweets @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn.
Hal
VIP

Activity: 314
Merit: 3853

View Profile
February 07, 2011, 03:28:06 AM

I really like this, sent a tip. Be nice to be able to see a larger window of time. FYI the cluster of transactions on the hour is the mining pool paying out.

Hal Finney
bitcoinex

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2011, 01:08:08 PM

lacks a small slider to rewind history back

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
jav (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2011, 01:20:59 PM

I really like this, sent a tip.

Much appreciated, thx. :-)

Be nice to be able to see a larger window of time.

Yes, nice suggestion. I might look into implementing something like that at some point.

slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2011, 05:36:12 PM

I like your service and tested it by sending a tip as suggested Smiley. But missing slider and zoom. Also better precision would be nice. Last mtgox trade was at 0.896, but graph displayed it as 0.9.

mpkomara

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2011, 05:50:49 PM

mean, standard deviation, etc don't supply much info on your difficulty vs time charts.   slope of the moving average line is more meaningful
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
February 09, 2011, 04:49:59 AM

very informative, nice. 150 mBTC tip is on its way.

sandos

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
February 09, 2011, 08:03:16 PM

I would love this but simply showing mtgox prices.

jav (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2011, 10:04:05 PM

Thx for all your feedback, tips and suggestions! Many of them are on my TODO list.

Integrating more markets is probably the next thing I will be focusing on. Mt. Gox was just an easy and sensible first pick. However, before I include more markets, I would like to get in touch with the people running them about the best technique of doing so. Since I'm providing live-data on the website, the whole thing depends on having recent data available. Many markets only provide their trades over a webservice, which I would need to poll. I'm currently polling Mt. Gox at a rate of once every minute (@mtgox: I hope that is ok), but the software engineer in me finds that somewhat inelegant.

I noticed that jgarzik has done some work on a streaming real-time market data server already (http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2519.msg34154#msg34154). So I will see to what extend I can interface with that. Maybe it's a good opportunity to standardize on some format for trade data and set up streaming servers of this sort at the various markets. I would assume, that they are interested in providing their trade data in the most convenient form and also reduce traffic from polling.

Another option I'm thinking about: I can't promise anything yet, but I might set up a gateway for those markets, who don't want to run a streaming server of this form. I can see how some markets might not want to bother with the effort, as it doesn't necessarily integrate easily into web applications. So I might end up polling them, but then provide the data over a streaming server. This way others, interested in the (then-sort-of) real-time data, wouldn't need to poll.

Well, those are my thoughts so far on real-time market data. :-)

sandos

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 08:39:09 AM

This thing has an awesome memory leak in chrome 10:

Goes for a few minutes then goes "ooh, snap!"

caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 09:05:50 AM

Sure it's a memory leak? Could be a sort of garbage collection, just like the JVM.
sandos

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 09:51:09 AM

Sure it's a memory leak? Could be a sort of garbage collection, just like the JVM.

Yes, could be. Might be a chrome bug I guess, but as the page actually crashes I am a bit suspicious.

jav (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 03:46:42 PM

This thing has an awesome memory leak in chrome 10:

The client code was a little bit wasteful in how many old data points it would keep in memory. I just deployed a new version which should free memory somewhat more aggressive. Hopefully this helps!

jav (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 04:49:42 PM

The Bitcoin Monitor now switched to a logarithmic scale, which is definitely better suited. A bug in the graph library I am using didn't allow me to switch sooner, but that is fixed now. In the meantime more market data has been added as well. Now the markets Mt. Gox, Bitcoin Central, BTCex.com and Bitcoin Market are tracked.

mndrix
Michael Hendricks
VIP

Activity: 447
Merit: 258

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 06:35:25 PM

The Bitcoin Monitor now switched to a logarithmic scale, which is definitely better suited. A bug in the graph library I am using didn't allow me to switch sooner, but that is fixed now. In the meantime more market data has been added as well. Now the markets Mt. Gox, Bitcoin Central, BTCex.com and Bitcoin Market are tracked.

Thank you.  This is an excellent tool and the log scale looks great.
NOTAL

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 11:02:50 PM

Great ticker! It's mesmerizing to watch the transactions slide by.
I would like to second the request for adjustable axes (i.e. be able to set the window of time and volume displayed).

Thanks for your work.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 01:14:01 AM

Looks like the site is no longer reporting exchange trades (red).

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

spudy12

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 02:33:19 PM

Just come across this and think its great!

One suggestion.. history of say 30 minuets rather than 15?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: