Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:59:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't determine problem with rig... Advice needed.  (Read 421 times)
BaNgTHai

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 07:27:18 PM

Also, I would turn off all the updates on windows if you are mining windows 10.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
beachfrontnoob (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 07:29:30 PM

-snip-

Have you tried using one GPU directly plugged PCI-e x16 slot on the board, then fire up miner?

I suspect that is it my motherboard or power supply.

If the above setup runs successfully, you either have a bad riser or power supply issue

-snip-

So I attempted to put one of cards on the PCI-e 16x slot, and it worked fine.  Hashed without issue.  However, I do not believe it is the riser.  I have swapped out MULTIPLE risers and still had the same issue.  So you think it is the power supple then??

Then you can add one more card using a riser, just to make sure what the issue is. If with one card directly plugging to PCIe 16x plus one other card using a riser was fine, then add one more card.

So I tried adding more, and it immediately froze within 40 seconds, as soon as I got to the "GPU Buffer" line on claymore.
Then you can add one more card using a riser, just to make sure what the issue is. If with one card directly plugging to PCIe 16x plus one other card using a riser was fine, then add one more card.
aundroid
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1247

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 07:53:25 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2019, 12:08:50 PM by aundroid

STOP WINDOWS UPDATE
In RUN type “services.msc“, the services page will be open
Search for “Windows Update“
Click “Stop” if status is “Live” or “Checking/Running“
Select “Disabled” on “Startup type“
Apply & Restart
Do it again and make sure that it is disabled
Also if you want you can disable more services..

source: http://1stminingrig.com/best-windows-setup-configuration-tweaks-for-mining/

►►►     MY TOPICS     ◄◄◄
➤ Blockchain Basics - FAQ DE    ➤ [Guide] Protect your Crypto: Security tips for your home computer & network DE | EN    ➤ Crypto SCAM - HowTo protect yourself EN    ➤ [CHECKLISTE] zur Bewertung von ICOs  DE
➤ [Overview] Exchanges, IEOs and their ROIs DE | EN   ➤ [Howto] Use Ledger Nano as Security Key DE | EN    ➤ [OVERVIEW] Recommended Crypto Telegram Bots  DE | EN    ➤ [Overview] GUI Miner DE | EN
➤ Activity, Merit und Ranganforderungen im Forum DE    ➤ Alternativen zu Piggy's Notification Bot DE    ➤ [Howto] Give Bitcoin as a gift  DE | EN
beachfrontnoob (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 08:05:02 PM

STOP WINDOWS UPDATE
In RUN type “services.msc“, the services page will be open
Search for “Windows Update“
Click “Stop” if status is “Live” or “Checking/Running“
Select “Disabled” on “Startup type“
Apply & Restart
Do it again and make sure that it is disabled
Also if you want you can disable more services..

Already done so  Sad
aundroid
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1247

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 08:20:42 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2019, 12:08:01 PM by aundroid

Already done so  Sad

ok, most often the windows updates result in a system freeze.

here the next things you can give a try:

INCREASE VIRTUAL MEMORY
In search type “This PC“, right click on it and choose “Properties“
Then click on “Advanced System Settings“
On “Advanced” tab where it says “Performance” click on “Settings“
Click “Advanced” tab
At the bottom you will see “Virtual memory“, click on “Change“
1. Uncheck “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives“
2. Check “Custom size“
3. In the “Initial size (MB)” type: 3000 (or directly 16000)
4. In the “Maximum size (MB)” type: 16000 (or more like 20k)
5. Click “Set” , then “OK” and “Apply“
Restart the rig

POWER PLAN AND OPTIONS
In search type “Power Options“
Click on “Show additional plans“
Select “High Performance” plan
Then still on “High Performance” plan, click “Change plan settings“
Select “Never” on all four selections for “Turn off the display” and “Put the computer to sleep“
Click “Change advanced power settings” and look for “PCI Express” -> “Link State Power Management“, make sure it is set to “OFF“, usually it is but better to check on that
Restart the rig

source: http://1stminingrig.com/best-windows-setup-configuration-tweaks-for-mining/

And you can also try a different Miner like Ethminer! https://github.com/ethereum-mining/ethminer/releases

What happens when you start mining an equihash coin, like btcz or zen?

►►►     MY TOPICS     ◄◄◄
➤ Blockchain Basics - FAQ DE    ➤ [Guide] Protect your Crypto: Security tips for your home computer & network DE | EN    ➤ Crypto SCAM - HowTo protect yourself EN    ➤ [CHECKLISTE] zur Bewertung von ICOs  DE
➤ [Overview] Exchanges, IEOs and their ROIs DE | EN   ➤ [Howto] Use Ledger Nano as Security Key DE | EN    ➤ [OVERVIEW] Recommended Crypto Telegram Bots  DE | EN    ➤ [Overview] GUI Miner DE | EN
➤ Activity, Merit und Ranganforderungen im Forum DE    ➤ Alternativen zu Piggy's Notification Bot DE    ➤ [Howto] Give Bitcoin as a gift  DE | EN
Geraldo

Activity: 588
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 08:27:31 PM

So I tried adding more, and it immediately froze within 40 seconds, as soon as I got to the "GPU Buffer" line on claymore.

Ow, I was missing important info here (sorry):

Claymore will run for no longer than 30 seconds until the entire system freezes.  When I restart my system after the hard reset I have a notification of, "Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware."

I have the same issue before, and This is what I'm doing to fix this issue.

Again, DDU (smile). Then re-install your driver with the latest one, don't do until the last step, just enough until extracting process then cancel the installation. Update your card's driver manually through Device Manager. You can find the installation file on drive C, AMD folder. Then find folder named Packages and so on.

Or else, if possible clone your output, one connected to the monitor and the other one just enough with dummy output.
Another else, lowering all of your settings.
beachfrontnoob (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 08:55:03 PM

Can you try the following, use OverdriveNTool and under volt your cards just a little bit, let say 900mV and report back. If you can mine with this then you might have an PSU issue

Is there a guide out there on how to use OverdriveNTool?  I have no idea on how to use it.
eleceng1979

Activity: 44
Merit: 3

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 09:02:01 PM

After reading this I believe your bios mods are the reason.  Please use overdriventool and post a picture of a card once you start the program.

Crap memory clocks do the same to my rigs.  Also if someone clocked defaults high, your afterburner clocks got reset and now default clocks are crap and not stable.

If You mod'd your bios flash it back to stock.  I suspect someone was playing with bios flashing and this happened.  There is part of the story missing here...
CryptoPlay

Activity: 202
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 09:05:05 PM

Can you try the following, use OverdriveNTool and under volt your cards just a little bit, let say 900mV and report back. If you can mine with this then you might have an PSU issue

Is there a guide out there on how to use OverdriveNTool?  I have no idea on how to use it.

Any Vega guide include instructions to  OverdriveNTool.
http://vega.miningguides.com/

You can exclude the Vega limitations to use this software. It may fully work with the 570.
Basically is a more detailed MSI Afterburner regarding the clocks.

https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-2065.png
beachfrontnoob (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 09:28:50 PM

After reading this I believe your bios mods are the reason.  Please use overdriventool and post a picture of a card once you start the program.

Crap memory clocks do the same to my rigs.  Also if someone clocked defaults high, your afterburner clocks got reset and now default clocks are crap and not stable.

If You mod'd your bios flash it back to stock.  I suspect someone was playing with bios flashing and this happened.  There is part of the story missing here...

I am not sure how to flash the bios...
beachfrontnoob (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 10:55:09 PM

Here are the settings the cards are currently at.  https://i.imgur.com/iJ1rIDH.png

All the cards are set here.  I am not sure where to change 900mV as you suggested.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 03:01:27 AM

Here are the settings the cards are currently at.  https://i.imgur.com/iJ1rIDH.png

All the cards are set here.  I am not sure where to change 900mV as you suggested.

Nah, I'll definitely discourage you to do OC settings when you do troubleshoots

and I doub't if its a driver issue when you could go 1 cards successfully, based on the picture.

Have you already Done this?

INCREASE VIRTUAL MEMORY
Click “Advanced” tab
2. Check “Custom size“
Restart the rig

So I attempted to put one of cards on the PCI-e 16x slot, and it worked fine.  Hashed without issue.  However, I do not believe it is the riser.  I have swapped out MULTIPLE risers and still had the same issue.  So you think it is the power supple then??

Well, If you are out of luck this is possible, we've seen users that has 16pcs of brand new risers all Faulty Wink

Coltcaine

Activity: 68

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 03:20:39 AM

Try running ethos and all your problems will go away
vpcrypto2018

Activity: 15

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 04:37:38 AM

Like others have said, make sure Windows has the correct amount of virtual memory. The formula is:

N (# of GPUs) * GB per GPU

In my case I needed 6 GPUs * 4 GB = 24 GB (24,576) before Device Manager recognized all my GPUs. I had 20GB before and that was not enough
smallbitmoney

Activity: 12
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 04:47:27 AM

First thing first, have you check your MB bios settings? I know it was working perfectly but things might happen unintentionally; who knows.
1. Make sure you have the latest BIOS install.
2. Check if you have mining mode enabled.
3. Did you MB detect all your GPUs?
4. Have you change your PCIE speed? I'm using Gen2.
beachfrontnoob (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 05:16:06 PM

Nah, I'll definitely discourage you to do OC settings when you do troubleshoots

and I doub't if its a driver issue when you could go 1 cards successfully, based on the picture.

Have you already Done this?

INCREASE VIRTUAL MEMORY
Click “Advanced” tab
2. Check “Custom size“
Restart the rig

So I attempted to put one of cards on the PCI-e 16x slot, and it worked fine.  Hashed without issue.  However, I do not believe it is the riser.  I have swapped out MULTIPLE risers and still had the same issue.  So you think it is the power supple then??

Well, If you are out of luck this is possible, we've seen users that has 16pcs of brand new risers all Faulty Wink

Yeah, I set the virtual memory. Still no luck.  I think I am going to RMA the power supply and if that solves the issue. 
Coltcaine

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 07:24:45 PM

it dosnt sound like a power supply issue. the new amd drivers in windows dont allow for bios mods and im thinking thats where your issues is.
beachfrontnoob (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 07:56:49 PM

it dosnt sound like a power supply issue. the new amd drivers in windows dont allow for bios mods and im thinking thats where your issues is.

So why it would it work forever and then just all of a sudden not?

Also, I can have one card running just fine.  That doesn't make sense to me?  But, that doesn't say much, I am a noob.
Lunga Chung

Activity: 277
Merit: 23

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 08:55:30 PM

check mining.help there is a section regarding Overdrive, don't touch the freq part only the mV (next to frequency). the idea is not to OC memory/core just to lower the consumption. As you can see the memory is already on 900mV just need to lower the core. You can also shade out the steps for core and memory (check mining.help)
Coltcaine

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 02:04:49 AM

So why it would it work forever and then just all of a sudden not?

Also, I can have one card running just fine.  That doesn't make sense to me?  But, that doesn't say much, I am a noob.
Then it may just be a single card try them one at a time till it breaks. I said a simmilar issue turned out to be a riser issue. Your riser may not be getting enough power. Or could be using to many resources for your rig there’s a script somewhere online that disables everything for mining using less resources could be a bios issue on one of your cards your only option is to troubleshoot one thing at a time till u find it
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: