Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:25:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain E3 Ethash Miner ASIC (Batch 1 - Shipping:16-31 July. $800 USD)  (Read 16366 times)
bigjee (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 107

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 07:53:13 PM

Even if the F3 exists and meets the stats in that video, it's STILL not a short-term threat - only double the hashrate of the E3, with no information about how much power it draws.
Bitmain would have to sell almost a MILLION of those to match the existing ETH hashrate, and over a million when you toss in the existing hashrate from the other ethash coins like ETC.

NOT HAPPENING in a few months timeframe - though to be fair initial Casper implementation is intented to be the 1%/99% hybrid and still mostly POW.

FYI- F3 is 1500 Mh/s in the video. ie 8-10x.
Also if they implement new algo into Metropolis then bitmain is left out in the cold doesn't matter how many they sell.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RobbMines

Activity: 42
Merit: 4

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 08:14:49 PM

FYI- F3 is 1500 Mh/s in the video. ie 8-10x.
Also if they implement new algo into Metropolis then bitmain is left out in the cold doesn't matter how many they sell.

There are so many red flags in that video that show it as a fake. Anybody with basic HTML markup knowledge could make the changes to the web GUI in the firmware, the sticker was not the same kind that bitmain uses (less round) and had low-quality ink with smaller stroked accents, plus it was off-center. And we're not going to talk about how "F" is not the same family as "E"? Historically, Bitmain has kept the ASIC models consistent with algorithms.

F3 is pure speculation and spouting nonsense is just upsetting the community over a fake video.
RobbMines

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 08:26:05 PM

okay so looks like we have a few updates from the Eth dev team after they discussed the relevant eip.

-Casper implementation is scheduled / budgeted around July mid (when these ASICS are due for launch). Progress is good so far and making in roads.
-There is currently a 2.5x cost reduction with e3 but no real gain in hash rate; threat for 51% attack is minimal.
-No emergency measures will need to be taken at the moment; however plan for alternative algo like sha-3 will be integrated into next hard fork.
-If bitmain threatens with higher hashing power and possible 51% attack eth will counter with a cryptonight like hard fork OR they may expedite casper POS launch without bug testing etc. (option 1 seems to be the more widely accepted scenario).
-eth dev will be able to detect any spikes in hashrate etc that signals a high hash rate asic (like F3 eg.) and may choose hard fork earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoPfoNpqG0k

Just want to touch on this because it's a bit misleading.

- Casper testnet is scheduled to be fully operational (currently in "Alpha") by August, no date is set for mainnet launch
- Cost reduction and threat assessment is on-part with devs' wording
- SHA-3 will be considered, a dev asked about the possibility of implementing it but it was left up to further discussion at next month's meeting.
- The 51% attack was deemed to be "difficult to predict" and I believe it was Vitalik who noted that it wouldn't be noticed until it was happening. If this would happen from a governmental or private entity (both were mentioned neither by name), then "emergency measures" would be considered. ETH devs will not be releasing Casper onto mainnet without bug testing, that's a silly assertation and would be dangerous to the coin.

Let's remember that Vitalik brought up a good point; they're not sure how this ASIC functions. Until one is torn apart, it would be foolish to make a move should the unit contain an FPGA as speculated.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 08:29:12 PM

F3 is pure speculation and spouting nonsense is just upsetting the community over a fake video.

The f3 was what people saw on bitmain factories and leaked to the community. It's real and bitmain will never say it exists, you might never hear about it cause if bitmain tries to sell the f3 next year then will be suspicious, so the f3 will never be publicly revealed.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
RobbMines

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 08:45:11 PM

The f3 was what people saw on bitmain factories and leaked to the community. It's real and bitmain will never say it exists, you might never hear about it cause if bitmain tries to sell the f3 next year then will be suspicious, so the f3 will never be publicly revealed.

Is this more speculation or do you have a source for this?

Susquehanna never revealed more details other than confirming Bitmain was working on an ASIC. Zero specs. The video was made by a user on the Ethfans pool and posted to Telegram, not a company. What you're describing is speculation.
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 08:53:00 PM

Susquehanna never revealed more details other than confirming Bitmain was working on an ASIC. Zero specs. The video was made by a user on the Ethfans pool and posted to Telegram, not a company. What you're describing is speculation.

Forget the video, talking about everything that was leaked about 2 months ago. There was never an e3 asic.

heavyarms1912

Activity: 729
Merit: 114

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 09:16:06 PM

Forget the video, talking about everything that was leaked about 2 months ago. There was never an e3 asic.

There haven't been much of GPUs sold since Dec/Jan (sheer dearth of it) yet the hashrates seems to increase quite a bit?  115 TH to 250+ THs.  That can't be all GPUs right?
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 09:56:50 PM

Power consumption: 800W
Hashrate: 180MH/s

far from profitable for me

getting 157MH/s with 570W from my 5x 1070 GTX

Is that 570w at the wall or in AB? i doubt total at the wall is 570w (maybe with the Ti). 3.63 w/mhs
Yeah these E3's aren't as efficient but I doubt you can get 180 mhs for $800 these days.
of course a lot can change between now and July.

I manage a bit less than 700 at the wall with 5 x 1070 at right around that same 157 Mhash - but that's on rigs with an AMD FX 8350 CPU (95 watt TDP rating) mining Monero, so NOT well optimized for ETH-specific usage.
A rig using a LOW POWER cpu like a G4600 or a Sempron 145 and not using the CPU for anything else should manage 600 ballpark at the wall for 5 x 1070.

The cards alone are capable of pulling full hashrate at commonly 100-105 watts TDP (nvidia-smi reported, figure 110-115 at the wall per card) depending on the specific card and model, across my stable of 8 or 9 different card models and 30ish 1070 cards.

heavyarms - why do you ASSUME there "haven't been much of GPUs sold since Dec/Jan" when bloody near all GPU models used to mine ETH were TOTALLY SOLD OUT almost all the time in that timeframe?
There is ZERO logic or sense to that assumption.

The F3 is speculation based on ONE video - that didn't show WHAT it was hashing on, what it looked like, what the power consumption is, and even if it exists it might not be for ethash AT ALL.
I concede my "oops" on the 2x hashrate figure - 7.5-8x is the correct number - but that would still need 200,000 OR MORE to match current total ethash network hashrate, NOT going to happen in a few months especially if it's a 14/16nm node ASIC and given it hasn't even been announced for sale (keep in mind that the E3 is not shipping for more than 2 months from now - 15-30 July).

The E3 is information straight from Bitmain's SALE site - it's not speculation and they have stated that while the specs are preliminary they expect final units to have even better performance (take with an ounce of salt, Bitmain has a history of being a bit optimistic on those announcements but are usually at least CLOSE when the units actually reach end users).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 09:58:28 PM

There haven't been much of GPUs sold since Dec/Jan (sheer dearth of it) yet the hashrates seems to increase quite a bit?  115 TH to 250+ THs.  That can't be all GPUs right?

only around 10% was from gpus. also, ignore the paid trolls that say otherwise. they must be all bitmain friends.

treanski

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

ONe Social Network.

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 10:10:34 PM

bitmain just selling this shit to draw some attention from the f3 videos and/or their real eth mining operation...

before eth pos you can buy them with a funny dislaimer like the doorstoper x3

3. One major cryptocurrency which is using CryptoNight hash function is about to change their PoW algothrim, and according to their public statement, it is purposely to brick ASIC mining rigs including X3. When you buying it, you are betting that they are wrong.

if xmr wouldnt have announced the fork we all still wont know the doorstoper x3 exists...why the fuck somebody would sell something profitable & power efficient for pennys if you can earn much more with mining(ok they already did)?
 the same applies for the real bitmain eth asics

there will be soon something like monero cash from bitmain, where retarded buyers can point their machines...thats the only reason bitcoin cash exists so they can sell more of their sha256 miners. thats the only fucking reason

FlowLive

Activity: 63
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 10:49:49 PM

All this for a miner that should be out in only 4 months.
Think about it, you have to shell out quite a sum right now for something you'll receive only in 4 months from now.

In the meantime you could instead :

1. Invest that money buying crypto's and hopefully gain value for 4 months and see what this amount becomes.

2. Buy GPU's now and make money now mining at current diff's, 4 months from now you'll already have a great start of ROI and in the end you'll make more than whatever you would with an E3

3. Let this shit product die and laugh at them for trying to take advantage once more...

I mean seriously, let them choke on their shit hardware!

The equivalent of 6 RX 580's is not that great of a deal since you have to pay NOW, get it in 4 months and on top of that according to history you'll receive some used hardware which has 0 resale value.

Don't give in !!   Cool
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 10:51:21 PM

1. Invest that money buying crypto's and hopefully gain value for 4 months and see what this amount becomes.

this...

bigjee (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 107

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 10:53:43 PM

Just want to touch on this because it's a bit misleading.

- Casper testnet is scheduled to be fully operational (currently in "Alpha") by August, no date is set for mainnet launch
- Cost reduction and threat assessment is on-part with devs' wording
- SHA-3 will be considered, a dev asked about the possibility of implementing it but it was left up to further discussion at next month's meeting.
- The 51% attack was deemed to be "difficult to predict" and I believe it was Vitalik who noted that it wouldn't be noticed until it was happening. If this would happen from a governmental or private entity (both were mentioned neither by name), then "emergency measures" would be considered. ETH devs will not be releasing Casper onto mainnet without bug testing, that's a silly assertation and would be dangerous to the coin.

Let's remember that Vitalik brought up a good point; they're not sure how this ASIC functions. Until one is torn apart, it would be foolish to make a move should the unit contain an FPGA as speculated.

Thanks for the clarification.

With respect to expediting Casper's launch in a worse case situation please reference 39min 20 sec of the latest meeting. They will have a "to hell with the bugs" to launch and bring back control from Bitmain if they gain majority hashing power. I.e the devs arent making sweeping changes yet but looking into possible solutions to counter multiple outcomes should Bitmain try to take over the network.

Overall all im glad the team answered these questions with full transparency in an open manner.
Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 11:03:24 PM

With current difficulty, this Bitmain Garbage can only mine for a round $4 a day. Imagine all the batches are come a live and then difficulty sky rocketed way higher.
Both this ASIC miner and GPU have to say good bye to ETH.
Btw, are you sure that this is the best Bitmain can do? I somehow have intuition that they have more powerful hashing board to mine ETH under their wrap still. Way more powerful that this garbage.

This garbage has officially killed ETH gpu mining for now. Until ETh dev comes up with something or AMD or Nvidia develops a new gpu specifically designed for mining.
This garbage is still very low cost and very scalable. Good for mining farms. So it will increase difficulty on all the coins as big gpu farms will switch coins.

This wont kill eth mining anytime soon. These are not A3's/D3's etc. Anyone worried about these has no sense of the magnitude of Ethereum's current hashrate.

Its currently at 270 TERAHASHES. Thats NINE MILLION 570's/580's

In order to double the hashrate, bitmain would have to make and sell 1.5 MILLION E3's. At most these batches have 10-20 thousand units, which wont even make a dent in the hashrate. To put things in perspective, Litecoin's entire hashrate is made up of a couple hundred thousand L3+'s and some of that hashrate is shared by innosilicon and BW.

The only reason A3's and D3's killed GPU mining is because they were orders of magnitude faster and more efficient than the GPUs they replaced. E3's are exactly the same speed and efficiency as GPUs, they only advantage they have is that they cost less than current GPUs, and Bitmain does not have to be at the mercy of getting GPU packages from AMD/NVIDIA( and thats about the only advantage an ethereum ASIC can have, maybe slightly higher effenciey if they go full custom cores which they wont since eth will go POS before then).

Lets all calm down Cheesy

This.

Only reason I'm not buying one right now is the fact that ETH or ETC may hard fork to invalidate it. That uncertainty is certainly hurting sales of this device.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 11:50:27 PM

With current difficulty, this Bitmain Garbage can only mine for a round $4 a day. Imagine all the batches are come a live and then difficulty sky rocketed way higher.
Btw, are you sure that this is the best Bitmain can do? I somehow have intuition that they have more powerful hashing board to mine ETH under their wrap still. Way more powerful that this garbage.

This garbage has officially killed ETH gpu mining for now. Until ETh dev comes up with something or AMD or Nvidia develops a new gpu specifically designed for mining.
This garbage is still very low cost and very scalable. Good for mining farms. So it will increase difficulty on all the coins as big gpu farms will switch coins.

This wont kill eth mining anytime soon. These are not A3's/D3's etc. Anyone worried about these has no sense of the magnitude of Ethereum's current hashrate.

In order to double the hashrate, bitmain would have to make and sell 1.5 MILLION E3's. At most these batches have 10-20 thousand units, which wont even make a dent in the hashrate. To put things in perspective, Litecoin's entire hashrate is made up of a couple hundred thousand L3+'s and some of that hashrate is shared by innosilicon and BW.

The only reason A3's and D3's killed GPU mining is because they were orders of magnitude faster and more efficient than the GPUs they replaced. E3's are exactly the same speed and efficiency as GPUs, they only advantage they have is that they cost less than current GPUs, and Bitmain does not have to be at the mercy of getting GPU packages from AMD/NVIDIA( and thats about the only advantage an ethereum ASIC can have, maybe slightly higher effenciey if they go full custom cores which they wont since eth will go POS before then).

This.

Only reason I'm not buying one right now is the fact that ETH or ETC may hard fork to invalidate it. That uncertainty is certainly hurting sales of this device.

Well, I'm likely NOT to get one either...but the founder of Ethereum..is not behind a fork in the coin, seems to me that if any kind of pressure on this is of note

https://www.coindesk.com/no-action-vitalik-opposes-plan-disable-ethereum-asics/

...the devs will simply go to POS coin under metropolis (or whatever the next upgrade is) anyway...

So it is more likely, you could PROBABLY mine this unit for say 5 months or so at worst or more..before such would happen (either fork or going pos coin)

indeed a case could be made that with ASIC's out and GPU miners seeing the end, the devs would face LESS hassle going the POS route in this manner

anyway, my take, not that I know much about this

brad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
B1tUnl0ck3r

Activity: 854
Merit: 277

liife threw a tempest at you? be a coconut !

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 12:24:25 AM

At this cost the e3 must be using cheaper slower memory. Which means bitmain is using the newer faster vram on the f3. Id wait, maybe halong have something in development for ethash.

Kidding? The coin communities are starting to hate bitmain. I'd expect most coins to continually switch up algos.

the world is starting to hate the communist party occupying china...

When the people of the world will get that covid was intentionally released to frame china, steal the election from trump, assure massive bail outs and foster the forced vaccination agendas...they will forget, like 911, wmds in irak, uss liberty or pedogate.
Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 01:23:41 AM

This.

Well, I'm likely NOT to get one either...but the founder of Ethereum..is not behind a fork in the coin, seems to me that if any kind of pressure on this is of note

https://www.coindesk.com/no-action-vitalik-opposes-plan-disable-ethereum-asics/

...the devs will simply go to POS coin under metropolis (or whatever the next upgrade is) anyway...

So it is more likely, you could PROBABLY mine this unit for say 5 months or so at worst or more..before such would happen (either fork or going pos coin)

indeed a case could be made that with ASIC's out and GPU miners seeing the end, the devs would face LESS hassle going the POS route in this manner

anyway, my take, not that I know much about this

brad

Yeah I read this same article today and I suspect that he doesn't support a HF because of the amount of hash power it would take to really be a threat to the network at this stage.
gameboy366

Activity: 252
Merit: 8

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 03:21:29 AM

At this cost the e3 must be using cheaper slower memory. Which means bitmain is using the newer faster vram on the f3. Id wait, maybe halong have something in development for ethash.

Kidding? The coin communities are starting to hate bitmain. I'd expect most coins to continually switch up algos.

F*ck Kommunist !  Angry  (Cold war flashbacks)
eestimees

Activity: 651
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 07:11:07 AM

F*ck Kommunist !  Angry  (Cold war flashbacks)

this reminds me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg_ghkwt5cs

eestimees
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 08:58:12 AM

There haven't been much of GPUs sold since Dec/Jan (sheer dearth of it) yet the hashrates seems to increase quite a bit?  115 TH to 250+ THs.  That can't be all GPUs right?

only around 10% was from gpus. also, ignore the paid trolls that say otherwise. they must be all bitmain friends.

That would only represent a few hundred thousand GPUs sold in that timeframe - which WOULD NOT ACCOUNT FOR THE SEVERE SHORTAGE OF AMD CARDS prior to the last couple weeks.

DO try again and not be rude and insulting for no reason.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: