Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:32:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Block Count  (Read 1392 times)
BitMofo (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:14:08 PM

Hi All,

Just a quick question...
If the bitcoin client already needs 500mb in space to remember the block count, what is this size going to become in future years? It seems a bit demanding don't you think?

1HNffyHktcD2iB6WJhPxKbALJdg4dwerTG
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
compro01

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:28:04 PM

larger.  and your hard drive will also be larger.

10 years ago, i had a massive 120GB hard drive in my new hand built computer.  Now i have 1.25TB of space.

i do not think the block chain size will be a problem for awhile yet.

and development is underway on block pruning and the headers-only client, which should dramatically reduce the space needed to store the block chain.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 03:55:21 PM

Yes and remember there are ALREADY clients such as the Android app (which are full-featured Bitcoin clients/wallets) that are only around 20-30mb. So, already there are ways around storing the full chain on your computer.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 10:27:13 PM

I agree with OP...
evoorhees, I believe the Android apps you refer to must be connected a computer storing all the blockchain, doesn't it?
Also, personally I never saw any bitcoin pc client using only 30MB, I think they have to be mentioned at least in the wiki

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 06:47:51 PM

Also, personally I never saw any bitcoin pc client using only 30MB, I think they have to be mentioned at least in the wiki

The Bitcoin Android app is one of the native bitcoin clients that use headers only.
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin-android
 - http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=7972.0
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Category:Clients

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █