Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:33:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Block Count  (Read 1392 times)
BitMofo (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:14:08 PM

Hi All,

Just a quick question...
If the bitcoin client already needs 500mb in space to remember the block count, what is this size going to become in future years? It seems a bit demanding don't you think?

1HNffyHktcD2iB6WJhPxKbALJdg4dwerTG
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
compro01

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:28:04 PM

larger.  and your hard drive will also be larger.

10 years ago, i had a massive 120GB hard drive in my new hand built computer.  Now i have 1.25TB of space.

i do not think the block chain size will be a problem for awhile yet.

and development is underway on block pruning and the headers-only client, which should dramatically reduce the space needed to store the block chain.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 03:55:21 PM

Yes and remember there are ALREADY clients such as the Android app (which are full-featured Bitcoin clients/wallets) that are only around 20-30mb. So, already there are ways around storing the full chain on your computer.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 10:27:13 PM

I agree with OP...
evoorhees, I believe the Android apps you refer to must be connected a computer storing all the blockchain, doesn't it?
Also, personally I never saw any bitcoin pc client using only 30MB, I think they have to be mentioned at least in the wiki

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 06:47:51 PM

Also, personally I never saw any bitcoin pc client using only 30MB, I think they have to be mentioned at least in the wiki

The Bitcoin Android app is one of the native bitcoin clients that use headers only.
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin-android
 - http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=7972.0
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Category:Clients

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █