Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 07:52:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [PPC] Press Release - Peercoin is the official crypto for Trek Con Springfield  (Read 10640 times)
PeercoinEnthusiast (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

JustabitofTime - Co-Founder of CoinTropolis

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 03:12:17 PM

CoinDesk article coming later today discussing Peercoin as well as Trek Con involvement.

Souce: http://trekconspringfield.com/press.php

===

PRESS RELEASE
For Immediate Release: November 06, 2013

Coin: Peercoin (PPC)
Peercoin Website: www.peercoin.net
Trekcon Springfield Website: www.trekconspringfield.com
Telephone: 516-234-6587
Email: john.manglaviti@gmail.com

Peercoin the Next Generation Digital Currency According to Trek Convention

November 06, 2013 Springfield, MO - Trek Con organizers BlankFish, LLC announce that Peercoin (PPC) will be the official crypto currency of Trek Con Springfield May 9 - 11, 2014. According to the projected number of participants, Trek Con Springfield will be the largest convention to ever accept a digital currency for tickets, merchandise and vendor demonstrations. By accepting Peercoin, the third largest crypto currency, other digital coins such as Bitcoin also benefit from the exposure to Sci-Fi communities.

"The Peercoin community is honored to be asked to be the official crypto currency of Trek Con.  To show our support, we're giving away one Peercoin to the first 2000 people that attend the convention," said John Manglaviti, a Peercoin organizer. "As a next generation energy efficient crypto currency, we're excited about getting Peercoin into the hands of thousands of Sci-Fi fans."

"Peercoin actually brings us a little closer to what Gene Roddenberry originally envisioned where there was no centrally controlled currency and it's open source," noted Lawrence Blankenship, co-founder of BlankFish, LLC.

Trek Con Springfield has an impressive list of celebrities which have confirmed attendance including Robert O'Reilly, Cirroc Lofton, Tim Russ, Chase Masterson and Manu Intiraymi to name just a few. The Peercoin team will be working directly with CoinPayments.net to integrate the payment system in the next few weeks.

Announcement Video

Here is a YouTube video announcing Springfield Trek Con and Peercoin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXPlhrD7XrE

About Peercoin

Peercoin (PPC) is an open source peer-to-peer digital currency that's developed, promoted and organized by volunteers. As the third largest crypto currency, Peercoin can be traded at the following exchanges:

BTC-E
www.btc-e.com

Coin Market
www.coinmkt.com

Vault of Satoshi
www.vaultofsatoshi.com

Whether you are a developer, economist, artist, musician, social media lover, or just someone who wants to learn more about the Peercoin community, there are always ways to get involved. For more information, please visit: www.peercointalk.org

About Blankfish, LLC

Kevin Fisher and Lawrence Blankenship were Trekkies. When the closest Trek Con to them closed down they accepted their new destiny and began working like Scotty to engineer a better, more enjoyable, and more satisfying event than had ever been encountered before.

###

JustaBitofTime - Co-Founder of CoinTropolis - Currently assisting Nxt
PeercoinEnthusiast (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 03:39:46 PM

Cheers to the guys over at Peercointalk.org for this one!

FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 04:02:57 PM

Big day for peercoin http://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/1q13l5/trek_con_springfield_announces_peercoin_crypto/ Smiley

keep up the good work

Fuzzybear

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 04:16:19 PM

Get ready for the pump & dump.

Register with Vircurex to take advantage!

Smiley

In all seriousness, good luck!  I hope to find some time to look into this tomorrow in between celebrating new bitcoin price highs!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
pr0d1gy

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 04:26:47 PM

Peercoin FTW  Grin

Set Escrow
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:09:54 PM

Nice that the Trekkies lead the way. Gratz to the people pushing this initiative.

bobbahope

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 06:53:27 PM

Hopefully this will become PPC's "Bitcoin Pizza".

muto

Activity: 457
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 09:10:59 PM

Realy awesome. You guys are doing a great job on PPC PR. This is just the beginning!
PeercoinEnthusiast (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 09:47:24 PM

Cheers to the guys over at Peercointalk.org for this one!
No and no. Still useless.

Something with use is useless? Good to know. Smiley  We appreciate you taking the time to read the thread and post your point of view.

FiniteByDesign
Legendary

Activity: 1397
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 09:51:02 PM

Can't say I am a Trekie, but this is certainly exciting!

romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:18:11 AM

ThiS is huge
belltown

Activity: 301

still can't change my profile pic

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:30:40 AM

I think this is dumb. You should promote Bitcoin at Trek Con and not an alt coin. It makes no good to people who never heard about crypto currency.

How I've earned 0.088 BTC for making few forum posts on LetsTalkBitcoin
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=707439.0 ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PeercoinEnthusiast (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 03:14:49 AM

I think this is dumb. You should promote Bitcoin at Trek Con and not an alt coin. It makes no good to people who never heard about crypto currency.

Our belief is people should do what they want to spend their time doing. If the Bitcoin community wants to do the legwork for another convention, by all means, that's good for all of us. I understand your concern, however, we have it handled.

- Every person receiving a Peercoin will also have literature and tutorials

- Peercoin will have a booth of volunteers helping explain the crypto and how Peercoin fits into the mix

- We will have forum members available during the convention to help those wanting to get setup

- We'll have workshops

I'd argue, this is great for Bitcoin as well. While we appreciate the opinion, we don't agree with your "dumb" assessment when people are donating time out of their own busy schedules to make this all work.

iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 03:46:07 AM

Nice job. Good to see other people trying to bring in outside traffic too

hl5460
Legendary

Activity: 1620
Merit: 1000

news.8btc.com

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 05:37:05 AM

There has been some trash talking on PPC among chinese cryptocurrency circle.
As far I know, most small asic miners in China started mining PPC then trade for BTC.
Anyway, I am trying to supply unbiased information to Chinese ppcers.

http://c.blog.sina.com.cn/profile.php?blogid=d3b90b76890002rz

masterOfDisaster

Activity: 321

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 07:45:28 AM

Considering one of the concerns of Bitcoin (to overcome trust based models for financial transactions; chapter "introduction" on page 1) I can't find anything bad with the Peercoin approach.
Bitcoin definitely took up the cudgels for nothing less than a possible start of a financial revolution. And I admire Bitcoin for that. It has not been the first attempt to do that, but it is the first quite successful attempt as far as I can tell. I like the concept of trusting the currency but no other entities.
There was a time when no one has heard about Bitcoin. And there still are legions of people who haven't heard up to now. So I don't knwo why I should prefer Bitcoin over Peercoin if they don't know anything about crypto currencies. And if the already know Bitcoin, they can learn something new Wink
So why not promoting Peercoin then if it overcomes one of the greatest drawbacks of Bitcoins concept? Peercoin relys on Bitcoin. It has its strength, but doesn't share its weknesses in terms of wasting elecric energy. For sure the energy is not really wasted. The security and integrity of the block chain is ensured by the Proof-of-Work process.
But isn't it much more elegant to do so without using so much energy? That's why I consider it a waste - compared to Peercoin's Proof-of-Stake.
In this area Peercoin does better. That's why I'm more committed to Peercoin than to Bitcoin. I love Bitcoin for having started this. The evolution has not stopped at Bitcoin Wink

FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 06:30:31 PM

Considering one of the concerns of Bitcoin (to overcome trust based models for financial transactions; chapter "introduction" on page 1) I can't find anything bad with the Peercoin approach.
Bitcoin definitely took up the cudgels for nothing less than a possible start of a financial revolution. And I admire Bitcoin for that. It has not been the first attempt to do that, but it is the first quite successful attempt as far as I can tell. I like the concept of trusting the currency but no other entities.
There was a time when no one has heard about Bitcoin. And there still are legions of people who haven't heard up to now. So I don't knwo why I should prefer Bitcoin over Peercoin if they don't know anything about crypto currencies. And if the already know Bitcoin, they can learn something new Wink
So why not promoting Peercoin then if it overcomes one of the greatest drawbacks of Bitcoins concept? Peercoin relys on Bitcoin. It has its strength, but doesn't share its weknesses in terms of wasting elecric energy. For sure the energy is not really wasted. The security and integrity of the block chain is ensured by the Proof-of-Work process.
But isn't it much more elegant to do so without using so much energy? That's why I consider it a waste - compared to Peercoin's Proof-of-Stake.
In this area Peercoin does better. That's why I'm more committed to Peercoin than to Bitcoin. I love Bitcoin for having started this. The evolution has not stopped at Bitcoin Wink

Very nicely put masterofdisaster +1

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
Hazard
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 06:37:22 PM

PoS itself is highly flawed and opens the door to several vectors of attack. Double spending in particular becomes magnitudes easier. One can simply reuse their stake until the attack is successful.

iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 06:40:27 PM

PoS itself is highly flawed and opens the door to several vectors of attack. Double spending in particular becomes magnitudes easier. One can simply reuse their stake until the attack is successful.

Agreed. This is the reason I never used PoS in any of the coins I run. I just don't trust it enough; it's too vulnerable and breaks too much shit

Digicoiner

Activity: 310

In Crypto I trust.

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 11:09:54 PM

Isn't PoS a good concept though?  The energy saving nature of it seems worthwhile.  If PoS has these issues can't they be addressed?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: